So is it a common opinion in the USA to think that Europe has less consumerism, less corruption in politics...

So is it a common opinion in the USA to think that Europe has less consumerism, less corruption in politics, less fake showbiz values etc?
It's quite false, as seen in the way this german interviewer answers to david foster wallace youtube.com/watch?v=UKdZU9Db6fk

Other urls found in this thread:

englishblog.com/2009/05/welcome-to-britain-a-nation-of-binge-drinkers-and-microwave-mealscoffers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kzbdQhm8Es8
youtube.com/watch?v=trDcNWm_W2M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

depends where you lean politically and of course how much exposure you have actually had to europe

englishblog.com/2009/05/welcome-to-britain-a-nation-of-binge-drinkers-and-microwave-mealscoffers.html

>depends
For example, money in politics.

Sure, political advertising on TV is very controlled in France, almost banned (extremely rare, and rich parties are compelled to look as poor as the poor).
A rule says that each presidential candidate has the right to the same airtime as the 2 "big" candidates.
But last time the committee tried to enforce it, the biggest TV chanels including TF1 and France 2 found a loophole : in the heatest moment of the 2012 presidential election, they *stopped talking about politics*. Because they *refused* to give equal airtime for 2 weeks for the small candidates.

No one cares about yurope except college liberals who think it's a utopia

>college liberals who think it's a utopia
ok, so this opinion stems mostly from liberal colleges.
would be consistent with the source I was listening to.

It's honestly hard to say. I've met college students who had no idea what the Brexit vote was, and an old lady from a poor rural area that teared up thinking she may never visit England again.

Generally, I would say Americans think Europe is less consumerist and celebrity-focused. Most Americans can't name the European equivalents of Hollywood, nor could they name many European actors besides English ones and the German one that played the SS officer in Inglorious Bastards

Also: in old age, I've noticed a lot of Americans go into full-on MUH HERITAGE mode, where they study up and become experts on tiny cultural niches that concerned their ancestors

>pussies

>In fact Britons have developed something of a habit for self-delusion, the guide finds. "Calmness in the face of adversity, a laconic sense of humour, a sense of decency and fair play, and mastery of understatement are all fundamental facets of the British character – at least, as seen by the British themselves.
oh, well...

>be france
>literally one of the most militarily successful countries of all time
>lose one war
>forever known as cowards

>sparta
Kek'd

and not even to an epic battle. getting zerg rushed by the germans who go around your wall is a sad and non-heroic way to go

and the brits ran away from dunkerque to hide in their island.

>Most Americans can't name the European equivalents of Hollywood
I took a few minutes to find a good example of a very popular TV show here, the french version of "Star Academy" youtube.com/watch?v=kzbdQhm8Es8
(there are worse things, like Les Anges de la Télé-réalité etc)

woah, racist.

zerg rushed does not do credit to literally inventing the modern method of warfare

>Most Americans can't name the European equivalents of Hollywood
Do we even have such a thing?

another example of showbiz in france, on a more left-leaning channel
youtube.com/watch?v=trDcNWm_W2M

French cinema is particularly rich and innovative, especially during the mid 20th century. They just don't seem to have one centralized location where it all comes from though.

Yeah, sucks they had to be some of the first to get a taste of it

inb4 "bocked in your cunt"

>French cinema is particularly rich and innovative, especially during the mid 20th century.
nah, that's because we fail to sell you the really profitable, mainstream stuff
so you only hear about french films by different channels, more intellectual and artsy
that contributes to the image of Europe as a snob, traditional place.
It's as if we thought that Sundance was a representative sample of US cinema.

There was "cinecitta" in Italy. Probably near Milano, or Torino.

I like you OP, that's a very honest thing to say.

Having lived on both continents, my honest assessment is that Europeans and Americans are both very materialistic and consumerist, but with different tastes and preferences depending on the country/region one finds themselves in.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, people need material things they can focus on to not get bored with how dull and/or crappy our existences really are.

here it would be

Scandinavia:
Past-Vikings. Present-Perfect Welfare State
Normal people are completely unaware of Somali immigrants raping women or some of the other stuff people mention here.

And with Iceland, it would be all of the above + Bjork.

England would be all great rock bands are British + Pirates

France is associated to being a first world leftist poser, from Sartre and Camus to Manu Chao.
People who support every leftist thing in the rest of the world, while living in a first world country with first world freedoms.

The French arent considered cowards, and the Germans arent considered nazis.

We know Spain and Italy pretty well, so no big misconception.

>mexico
>spain
why

thanks brah, you can count on me to shit on my country!
I went to the USA twice but didn't live there.

One thing that comes to mind is how a guy like Woody Allen gives a skewed, idealistic image of Europe, and especially France. Because apparently he found a few european producers to support him, and he's more successful in Europe than in the USA.

Intelligent, Nihilistic and with a Wicked Sense of Humor

What other words describe Brits, at least, as seen by the British themselves?

>France (pussies)
Nice

Here in the US if you say you're Spanish everyone automatically assumes you're Mexican.

Ironically, it's Dominicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans that call themselves Spanish and not the Mexicans and others.

because we are bonded forever, and there is nothing you can do about it

Mexicans tend to be a lot more mixed than cubans and puerto ricans, that's why

ok, well I don't care.. I live here.

It's an inaccurate map

>So is it a common opinion in the USA to think that Europe has less consumerism, less corruption in politics, less fake showbiz values etc?

No because literally 90% of Americans could not give a single shit about europe and probably don't even think about them unless it's planning a vacation or if some kind of disaster happens