What the hell is an IT coordinator?

There's been some shuffling around my office, and a position as an IT coordinator has opened up in some botnet-government branch that our company's looking to fill.

I'm thinking of going after it, but despite my searching I can't seem to figure out what an IT coordinator does, or what qualifications I should present to put my best foot forward.

Essentially:
>What is an IT coordinator?
>What does an IT coordinator do?
>Is it a hard job?

Does Sup Forums fucking know anything about this position?

Asked /adv/ but they were all total fags and recommended I go ask Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-9ZQVlgfEAc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IT coordinator first of all quietly investigates the office, then fires anyone he thinks they can do with out. then he gets a bonus and quits himself.

You basically do nothing command tech monkeys to go fix shit in your place, thing of IT crowd and the chick who is utterly useless

nothing lol

>Is it a hard job?
no lol

it's the lowest level boss in the game

For better or worse, this is now you: youtube.com/watch?v=-9ZQVlgfEAc

God damn, that doesn't sound like much fun. I'll be a glorified executioner of people's hopes and careers?

>You basically do nothing command tech monkeys to go fix shit in your place, thing of IT crowd and the chick who is utterly useless

Oh, fucking lol'ed.

Is "coordinator" a good placer to ascend to from "code monkey"? I've been a developer for 3 years and I'm looking to move up the ranks and out of the pits. Is IT coordinator a dumb move?

I would say it's a stupid move unless you want to go in soft skills direction.

It depends a lot on what you want: do you want to manage or do you want to build?

If you want to manage, a coordinator is a great way to get some of that on your resume.

If you want to build, a future employer is essentially going see whatever time you spent as a coordinator as a waste.

If you move to coordinator, you're officially on the way to "middle management". If that's where you want to be, then yes, coordinator is a good move. However if you want to engineer stuff, then no.

This guy, , is partially right too.

An IT coordinator is more of a manager than an actual developer or a techie. When an issue comes up, it isn't your job to fix it, but to find someone who can.

I did it for 3 years, and it pays pretty well, but it doesn't fulfill much.

that depends, do you enjoy reading 500 emails every day, managing incompetent devs and their time, go to meetings every other day and after all that get yelled at because other people aren't doing their job?

This is a pretty accurate depiction actually. I'm and in all my 3 years I've never held a position that got as many emails as an IT coordinator.

It's a thankless job too, but what in tech isn't?

It's not like the average monkey feels very appreciated either. Except when it comes to blame. They suddenly get a lot of attention when that happens.

An IT-coordinator is a glorified receptionist that points customers towards people that actually KNOW something.

I personally wouldn't enjoy such a thing. I'm sitting in my office witu my lead coordinator and it's just a fucking mess. You can't speak to the man for 5 minutes without him getting sidetracked by 10 different emails, he's constantly nervous and always in the midst of having to argue with other departments who, as I said, don't do their job properly and blame everyone else. He also needs to know almost every fucking process that goes around here and in somewhat detail too. That really doesn't sound like something I'd do every day without going insane in a couple of months. Not even if the pay was good

True, but as an IT coordinator your head is never the first to roll. If something goes wrong, and it will, you can always blame those bellow you. Usually devs or techies with relative efficiency.

It varies a lot, of course, but middle managers are usually pretty safe in the sense that they can usually shift the blame of any faults pretty easily. At least I could.

that's true unless you're the type of person who doesn't like shifting blame around
it's not a job for everyone, personality plays a strong part here

Not him, but it's a hard job. People who argue that the coordinator just wishy washies around doing nothing are very wrong. A coordinator essentially play the orchestra. Like that faggot Jobs said in that movie. It's miles from as glamorous as it sounds though.

Of course, of course. It's a cutthroat position where your only real goal is to make someone look more guilty than you.

It's like the Game of Thrones of the IT office (and I'm not trying to make it sound cooler than it is, because it's not at all).

Personally I quit and took a job as a project leader because of just that. It's too political. Someone's always looking to make you take the fall for their mistakes or blame you for their shortcomings and the higher-ups always look to you for answers when something goes wrong.

This.

You're a boss with no real power.
Bosses people who don't care.
>Is it a hard job?
Fuck no it's go-to-sleep-tier.

Titles are a shell game, especially in technology where things change too fast for them to be stable, and especially in government where there's incentive to use them deceptively.

What you need to do is approach the guy who would be your boss if you're hired. Email him and ask for a 30 minute meeting because you're looking for more information about the position and what kind of problems he's looking to solve. And to see if you're a good fit for the position.

There's a spectrum. So be ready with lists of qualifications in your head. Lists, because you use whichever list suits HIS needs.

So the job might be:

* about coordinating with other agencies/departments to use IT to solve business problems (this requires basic fluency in both business and IT/programming, along with considerable people skills including an understanding of how to convert business goals into requirements documents, and also how to navigate an outside agency's internal politics without getting sucked in)

*about defining and promoting a cross-agency interoperability architecture

* about account management and managing a team of programmers/netadmins

Mainly get a feel for this guy and try to give him a good impression that you're good with people and will be loyal to him and will get shit done without creating political messes for him to clean up. Not by coming out and saying that and telling him, but by showing him that you have the people skills by demonstrating them in the meeting

IT people tend to woefully underestimate the value of good management, despite constantly bitching about the fallout that comes from having bad management. Most of the coders who brag about what idiots their managers are end up being train wrecks of epic proportions when put in a position of authority themselves. Not many people have technical knowledge AND can navigate people and political situations. Many coders aren't even totally conscious that the full scope of social interaction even exists.

This is a very good overview of the position. Thanks so much for bothering to type all this out mate.

Is it a good job though? Like does it open doors, or is it essentially monkey-tier?