Router Thread 2: Electric Bugaloo

Here we go again, chaps. I want a router for

Other urls found in this thread:

linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=207552
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have the gaymer version of that router.

Yeah the WRT32X. I just installed mine last weekend. Signal is very strong. I heard that the WRT3200ACM can be flashed like the 32X.

Either way it is a good router minus the price.

Is it any good?

Money isn't really a problem, to be honest. I have a lot of walls to, uh, penetrate.

Pfsense with Ubiquiti access points is the ultimate solution.

I recommend any router with a broadcom chipset inside.

R7000 is good.

I got the router in your pic for under $200 on ebay a bit ago. Shit's been working gr8.

why are you buying an expensive router if you just need an expensive antenna?

do not buy the router in your picture. i have a wrt 1900AC and it seems linksys have abandoned support for it.

IT has a marvell chipset inside.

Pls buy broadcom based wireless routers.

I just went the two router route.
My old one I put in the top right of the house, my newer one one in the bottom left in the kitchen.
I just switch between whichever is strongest. Its all wired up to the same fibre anyway.

What's the range like?

I'm not necessarily buying an expensive router; I'm looking for recommendations to maximise range and reliability while spending less than £200.
I'm buying a replacement router because I want to make as little functionality as possible dependent on the Virgin modem/router combo.

Are they bringing something else out?

This is definitely something I've considered.

Weird, my ACM is still getting updates.
linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=207552
>Latest Date: 10/27/2017
Maybe it's because it was $100 more?
I think you can flash the firmware with Tomato though.
>What's the range like?
It works all the way out on my dock. I can be at my neighbors house and still use my internet with no problem. 'Murica though so houses are pretty close together. It's the first router I've owned that didn't require restarts every few weeks. Both 5ghz and 2.4ghz is working fine with no random connection drops.

We've been with BT for a while so I got a smarthub 6 and a homehub 3.

Homehub 3 is still reliable as hell. Strong signal, solid connection.
The Smarthub though is ok usually but it is a pain in the ass sometimes. Can't penetrate more than two walls. I think it's because it has several small antennas and its outputting both 2.4 and 5ghz signals.

>£200 that can penetrate 4 walls in a row

3 archer c5 with connected wifi cable.

The 32X is the same as the 3200ACM but with custom firmware and a black exterior, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could flash the former to the latter.

>Wifi cable

Yeah, definitely considering multiple points.

Unfortunately this place, though very large, is a rental, so I want to avoid running cables around. I was also considering powerline adaptors.

>t. newfag

It's definitely worth Googling something you haven't heard of before implying it doesn't exist.

I looked it up and didn't understand that either.

Then I'm afraid there's no hope for you.

Don't BS me here.
Ebay shows rj45 cables
and the rest is just "wifi cable router" or some shit. It's not "wifi cable", fuck off.

I'm glad that you're so sensitive to teasing, but I'm not the guy that suggested them or even posted an anencephalic image macro :)

What firmwares do you guys recommend for RT-N66U?

I'd be grateful if we could stop arguing about whether or not WiFi cables exist, and get back to the topic at hand.

>I'm glad that you're so sensitive to teasing
FUCK

Uhh, you okay there, dude?

Yeah I'm fine.
"People teasing me" thing just happens too often.

Don't worry, everyone gets teased here. It's a good opportunity to develop a thicker skin.

S-sup

32x is garbage, mine constantly shuts off, and the depth admin controls is so shallow.

>needing other peoples help to pick something as basic as a fucking router
holy fuck why are you even on Sup Forums, other than because you're a baby who needs spoonfeeding of course

what does mean "can be flashed like the 32x"?

1900acs here, no problem with lede project ;-)

I want to establish a point-to-point connection from an indoor location to an outdoor location, what is a good antenna that can withstand rain/snow and cold (more than -20°C)?

I spend most of my time in /dpt/. Feel free to ask for help next time you're implementing a parser in a declarative language.

if you hang out on Sup Forums how do you not know about /sqt/?

I do, I just wanted a thread's worth of opinions.

Please sage if you have more complaints.

If money isn't an issue, Peplink and Ubiquiti are both great.

Specifically for Peplink, any of the items under:
amazon/dp/B00PJSGG1K/

Easy config, any AP can be synced with the main router automatically, devices automatically transition between 2.4/5Ghz (and between AP's) via the same SSID etc.

Pic related, multi-SSID example config for a multi-AP deployment.

Ubiquiti equiv:
amazon/dp/B015PRO512/

How do you choose a router anyway? I mean, the right way, with hardware/software analysis/comparison (inb4 build your custom loonix firmware you cuck). Do you pay attention if it has some passive cooling on the chip?

>passive cooling on the chip

What?

Expensive as fuck tho.
Also, isn't Ubiquity firmware closed source?

I'm guessing they're insinuating that "passive cooling" isn't something you could "have" on a chip, because all chips are inherently cooled passively, with or without a heat sync.

i.e. only active cooling methods would stand out

I'm trying to set up various shit in my network using a variety of old computers.
Can someone explain to me why a freaking SMB server needs 8 GB of memory?

Why do you need to use WLAN? PowerLAN isn't an option for you?

See Recommendations are welcome.

desu gonna be hard to find one which can unlike burgers our houses are well built and not made of baton and plasterboard. You are better off getting soem powerline adapters and setting up a second router desu

His complaint is legit, I own a Linksys WRT1900ACS and CPU temperature easily exceed 70° C even with 20° C of ambient temperature.

That's crazy. I use an RPi 2 for my NAS/torrent box just fine. It runs Samba/SMB to allow access to my cousin's computers. However, on my Linux boxes I just use SSHFS, which I find "just werks".

I'm quite happy for this to be a general network hardware advice thread, by the way.

The RT-AC66U is like $10 more than the N variant. Was sad when I learned that yesterday as I bought the N last week. Basically the same device with a better radio.

>Not Cisco Firepower and Aironet
stay pleb

>Can someone explain to me why a freaking SMB server needs 8 GB of memory?
ZFS is a horrible file system which wants stupid amounts of RAM

RPi doesn't have a gigabit interface, so it's a bit slow for my needs. I'll probably just buy some chink Thin ITX board to serve as both NAS for the internal network and router/torrent box.

Anyone?

Shouldn't the requirements scale with drive size then? 8 gigs of RAM to handle the file system when I only need a terabyte of HDD space is ridiculous.

I don't think Sup Forums has people with meaningful hands-on experience with outdoor wireless links.

I don't see why not, with all the phoneposters there are.

they do

I have a TP Link AC 1750 I don't need if you wanna buy it? Only problem is I live in Dublin Ireland

international p2p second-hand markeplace site with delivery as a commodity when

Well then how the fuck it's 8 gigs as a *minimum* requirement

I don't recommend the RT-N66U if you want to use it as a print server, this worked fine for me for a while but then I had to switch my network over to a different IP range and never managed to get the print server running reliably again.

Currently have the WRT 3200ACM which works great for me (had it like 6 months ish now I think?) good range, solid build quality and performance vs many of the cheaper ones I've had, looks good. Did have a problem with the bundled print server software so using SX Virtual Link. Not set up printing on Linux but have no idea what you use or if you even want it to double as a print server or not.

Whenever they make sure robots can do shit better without killing /too/ many people. It'd probly cost a lot to send it via ebay or whatever, oh well!

Well most routers are cheap pieces of shit so it helps to have some actual testimony from people who know what they're talking about

Thanks, but for that model I'd just buy new.

I'm not using it for printing, but web browsing and video/file streaming, for Linux and Windows, reliably through several walls. I hear conflicting reports about Linksys' latest models, though they are tempting if only because they don't look like stealth bombers.