Why does the Chinese government block inane normie crap like Facebook and Youtube while not blocking stuff like sites...

Why does the Chinese government block inane normie crap like Facebook and Youtube while not blocking stuff like sites for encryption software?

Other urls found in this thread:

synthesio.com/blog/10-chinese-social-media-sites-you-should-be-following/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10101469
blog.zorinaq.com/my-experience-with-the-great-firewall-of-china/
techcrunch.com/2016/05/17/facebook-blocked-in-vietnam-over-the-weekend-due-to-citizen-protests/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what stops chinese from using a VPN?

95% of the population is too dumb to use the VPN. With such a large population, they may have more geniuses, they would have even more dumbasses

fucking firewall of russia sometimes gets on my nerves

>we will block only terrorists and child pron)))))
>block sites with pirate books and with anime pron

thankfully it is easily circumvented with opera turbo

So that the chinese government can implement their chinese versions of these social networks.

>95% of the population is too dumb to use the VPN

what? there's tutorials on hosting ur own vpn

What Chinese government versions of these are there?
Care to name them?

because there's a load of sites that supply encryption software and the Chinese are lazy
Most people knew about facebook and all Huang Xiao Hong of the Public Security Bureau needed to do was type facebook.com into the filter and it's blocked and then he gets an early lunch

>inane
>Facebook, Google, Twitter

Ahhh yes how inane.

>why not block VPN websites
Because 99% of people don't care to go through that trouble. Also, it's a lot harder to block obscure sites visited by 10 Chinese than it is major sites visited (or that would be visited) by millions.

synthesio.com/blog/10-chinese-social-media-sites-you-should-be-following/

Because you can see videos of demonstrations and shit of their country on YT.
The other social medias alloow people to communicate with people in other countries, so that you can becomer westernized.

most Chinese couldn't give a shit about what goes on in the outside world
They don't really desire twitter, facebook and youtube

plus, there are Chinese versions of those which are extremely successful there

Weibo
Wechat
QQ
Just a few of them. They technically aren't government versions, but have government front doors

>Just a few of them. They technically aren't government versions, but have government front doors
hmm, sounds just like american websites

American subversion. I wouldn't expect the subverted to notice that someone has subverted them.

Because people who want encryption software have no issues whatsoever accessing blocked stuff, whereas the average facebook pleb is barely informatically literate enough to turn his computer on.

None of these are
>Chinese government versions

>but have government front doors
So do Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
Did everyone forget about 2013 NSA?

>They don't really desire twitter, facebook and youtube
>there are Chinese versions of those which are extremely successful
You're contradicting yourself here. The chinks would be all over western social media if they were allowed.

>You're contradicting yourself here

No he is not dumbass

Yes he is. It's not like the chinese versions are anything other than carbon copies of western sites without access to the western userbase.
So it follows that the chinks absolutely wanted social media, and not being allowed to access the standard ones, they just jumped at the next best thing.

VPN is not some magic bullet, unlike what normies think. China does deep packet inspection and shit like that. Packets to foreign IP addresses get dropped and fucked with in all sorts of ways. Usually after first few minutes VPN becomes unusable. Tor shits itself too unless you are in a lucky part of China and use obfuscated bridges.

Reported to the KGB :^)

why would chinks want to use non-chink social media exactly?

Their friends and family use chink social media and they'll just use western? I don't get it, it's like people playing on the wrong server for their region/language and not being able to speak to people and have 500 ping

>VPN is not some magic bullet, unlike what normies think. China does deep packet inspection and shit like that. Packets to foreign IP addresses get dropped and fucked with in all sorts of ways. Usually after first few minutes VPN becomes unusable

How can that work if the data you're sending is encrypted until it gets to its destination?

>IMDB
kek, to what purpose?

i guess it has a lot of movies which are not welcome in china

> (You)
>why would chinks want to use non-chink social media exactly?
Why do you use facebook rather than its canadian version?
Their own version popped up because they had no alternative. They probably wouldn't shift now that the site is established, too much hassle, but if they had western shit from the beginning, their own versions wouldn't even have popped up.

>Why do you use facebook rather than its canadian version?

We don't have a Canadian version. Also that point is moot because we're in the same continent, have the same culture and speak the same language.

>The chinks would be all over western social media if they were allowed.

I'll take bold assumptions for 500

>IP from china is sending some shit to a foreign IP
>fuck with it
And yes, they give absolutely zero fucks if this also affects "legitimate" stuff. And there is no guarantee on how hard they will fuck your connection either.
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10101469
blog.zorinaq.com/my-experience-with-the-great-firewall-of-china/

>We don't have a Canadian version.
Kinda my point. There's no need for a national version of facebook and twitter, you just need to localize the websites.
Why do Japan and Korea, etc use american websites when they don't have the same culture and language? Because social media websites like facebook and twitter are language and culture blind. They're just formats.

>I'll take bold assumptions for 500
See: almost every other country in the world. The only exceptions are Iran (where it's banned too) and Russia (where they had their own shit since before facebook became famous).

>Because social media websites like facebook and twitter are language and culture blind. They're just formats.

But they do. They're built for western audiences and the trending topics and culture of it are Western.

it's the same reason Russians and Slavs use vkontakte instead of facebook

>world capital of CP production
>"blocking" CP
LOL

The trending topics are isolated by language (or by country maybe, whatever the site versions are based on). I don't get your shit on my account unless I follow a lot of americans, and you certainly don't get #Renzie trending up on twitter in Canada.

>muh culture

It's blocked for one reason and one reason only: the owners will not operate it in a way the PRC finds acceptable. Specifically, they won't ban all dissent and non-state owned news sources. Likewise they'd interfere with the PRC's shilling/forum sliding program, which they consider to be spam and a violation of their TOS.

China made their own counterparts in order to restrict the flow of information into it's citizenry. It's worked moderately well thus far, except for pirated games and movies.

>the trending topics and culture of it are Western
sounds like some cunts are too stupid for facebook. our commies overlords blocked facebook till they read brave new world instead of the usual marxshit.

>it's the same reason Russians and Slavs use vkontakte instead of facebook
it's because you likely don;t have your friends on facebook not due to some culture memes

>>world capital of CP production
isn't it usa?

Nothing. My sister lives there and regularly uses Skype and Facebook via VPN.

>it's because you likely don;t have your friends on facebook not due to some culture memes

But isn't that why you don't have your friends on facebook? Because they're on VK...

It's like being American and playing on a russian world of warcraft private server

Kind of but if you went on VK you'd see almost no Italians or Americans, same as if you went on some Turkish social media, or some Bangladeshi social media

fb is 3 years older than vk. fb should have been the snowball, not vk. there must be some slav magic going on or downright gov intervention to make vk more popular in your region. we have it blocked once but nothing can replace it, so much that they turn off the firewall and use shills instead of popo to control it.

>95% of the population is too dumb to use the VPN.
That's why Chinese programmers always win international contests and Chinese IT-companies will soon became more popular than American ones. Xiaomi and Meizu are the most known examples.

>That's why Chinese programmers always win international contests and Chinese IT-companies will soon became more popular than American ones

There is over a billion Chinese, out of almost 1 and a half billion people of course there will be super-geniuses, or amazing companies

Facebook is fucking shit. Go try VK at least and you will find out how useless is that Facebook crap with it's horrible and unintuitive interface.

That's because Chinese programmers spend all their time on these competitions and if its a student one, they are basically told that competition is their school work and if they better win if they want their qualification.

Obviously the image is outdated, but did Skype really have more users than Facebook?

I never bother with Skype anymore, basically every other app also does video calling now so it just seems pointless.

>95% is 100%

VK is MUCH better than shitty facebook

>TFW can't create vk account though

why do 1st worlders still need help googling their pc problems when they do google all their life?
chinese, koreans, japs, vietnamese and east azns win a lot of contests because they were trained for them, not to seriously work. Chinkshit is cheap, that's why it's popular, but as life gets better, even azns are moving away from them due to political, cultural and because their services plain suck compare to 1st world counterpart.

>TFW can't create vk account though
Why?

need to use phone verification to make account and i don't want to do that

Facebook as of 2016 has 1.7 billions active users, I severely doubt Skype has even half as many.

This.
Control of information, it's much easier to censor and monitor information this way.
Almost all things that the cpc doesnt like get taken down within a hour.

So Chinese people don't see what other countries have and get jealous and so they don't have a way to show the world how fucked they are.They don't want something like the Arab spring happening there.

>Almost all things that the cpc doesnt like get taken down within a hour.

Who cares?

For the average person this doesn't mean anything, just avoid insulting the government and you're okay. It's not like most people are active political dissidents anyways

Yup. Difference is abroad websites are used worldwide. Just wait until the next batch of leaks the Russians are sitting on where you find out our government is monitoring everyone on the planet as much as they do Americans

>chinks
>spring
lel. if you know anything about east azn, you will know they choose security over freedom anytime. nothing will happens no matter how much cia agents operate in chinkland until the ccp actively starve and genocide half the pop.

There are Muslim extremists in China right now. Tibetans aren't as chill as we think either. Maybe they won't see riits and violence but any dissidence is bad for a communist totalitarian govt

i'm in it now and what's its better features over fb? the fact that you can use it as jewtube if you feel like it despite it has 1/10th the contents? so far the social interface is like a less cluttered fb.

>i'm in it now and what's its better features over fb?

Better layout, can upload songs on pages

ok noted. it must be a personal need thing. fb is a better jewery platform by design and my cunts are full of them.

The ones rebelling is the Uighur who is more Turkic and doesn't like the of Han dominated govt ordering them around, taking their land because it "belongs to the people" and moving tons of Han to consume their ethnic.
At most there are only 20million and probably half of the muslim are Hui which is just muslim Han and pro govt.
The Uighur and Tibet dissent is just a drop of dye in the ocean, its only a matter of time before they got Han'd.

facebook looks confusing as fuck while VK actually seems bretty good although i have to admit I have used neither extensively, but from the limited use I've had with both.

>China made their own counterparts in order to restrict the flow of information into it's citizenry.

The Chinese government didn't make anything of the sort.

>muh bad China quality meme

Chinese barely even buy foreign technology any more because there's is so good. All that we have left is copyrights and brand recognition.

Okay CCP 2.0

techcrunch.com/2016/05/17/facebook-blocked-in-vietnam-over-the-weekend-due-to-citizen-protests/

why do the russians always side with the chinese? is it because you guys are preparing for a war with us?