Is Net Neutrality really as bad as Reddit makes it out to be or are they just fear mongering...

Is Net Neutrality really as bad as Reddit makes it out to be or are they just fear mongering? I have this friend and it's all he ever talks about anymore, as if the internet is ending in a couple days, and I just have trouble buying that.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/
youtube.com/watch?v=nqJDW_s93rc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Net Neutrality is a good thing.

The FCC is going to vote to get rid of net neutrality in a few days.

Net Neutrality is a bad thing.

The FCC is going to vote to get rid of net neutrality in a few days.

Basically if you have a job then net neutrality doesn't need to exist. It's nice for those that play nintendo or cowadoody all day long in their mom's basement but for those that have jobs it's not important at all.

Haha, net neutrality supporters are bots

BAN NET NEUTRALITY THREADS

The end of NN isn't exactly a good thing, considering all the monopoly providers in the US. But the problem is monopoly providers, NN was just a hack to work around the problem that causes. In any case the world isn't going to end, nor is the internet in existential danger. (you wanna worry about something more serious, go worry about infosec) You'll probably wind up slowly paying more money for worse service, but that isn't much different than how cable companies have always operated.

It was never Net Neutrality. It was SOPA rebranded under a nice sounding name.

Haha, net neutrality supporters are bots

WTF /r/pcmasterrace has been blocked by the FCC!!!! what do??!?!

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/

It's interesting how there isn't a 'hey this was a bad idea in practice' button on laws

Important: If you aren't having an emotional reaction to an issue you really need to keep your emotions out of, then you aren't voting for hitler.
Appeals to emotion are literally hitler.

I've been ignoring the whole net neutrality campaign because as a European i don't know what i can do.

LE DRUMPF IS TRADING OUR INTERNET FOR TWO SCOOPS

Daily reminder.

>hitler
Hitler*

reminder that europe is a shithole?

No, it's hitler, just hitler

If an ISP starts blocking traffic, that ISP will become useless and will simply no longer be paid for

But facebook and netflix traffic should be permanently blocked

lol, compared to the US? The USA is the go-to shithole country here and everywhere else

But what if that provider has a monopoly in an area? Then you would be forced to use it if you want internet.

Reddit shilling it really hard is a psyop to make people hate NN

And in America there are many locations with no alternatives, not to mention areas with multiple ISPs aren't immune because they could all block the same service, rendering the point of it moot

no NN isn't anywhere near as bad as reddit claims. it's not going to lead to cable-like service packages and other such bullshit.

it's still a massive step backwards though, and basically makes new media distribution business impossible.

You only have one water company in your area. You pay them to supply you with water, but they never deliver any because they don't like that you might be bathing in it. Would you keep paying this company just because they are the only water company in town?

the issue is one of two monsters debating which will eat you; they are currently arguing how best to butcher and prepare you while you watch from a little cage

the true answer is an internet free of corporate interference and a society where the profit motive is kept on the leash in service of the people

Well yes, I need to get water somehow (leaving out that I can also buy bottled water). I would, however, sue them and they would be found guilty of course. Without net neutrality the suing part would be impossible.

Okay. But you don't need the internet. And if you wanted access to restricted content, there would still be ways to do it since the ISP would have to go through great lengths to throttle or stop only content they disagree with. They may whitelist services that pay them for faster speeds, but they aren't going to be able to shut down access to specific sites.

Indeed, internet isn't a necessity of life. I agree that providers can't entirely block or throttle websites, but they can do a lot (blocking VPNs too, etc.) At this point I hope you see that abolishing the law will only hurt the rights of the people only for profit of the already rich monopolies.

Daddy Trump says it's bad so it's bad

>they can do a lot (blocking VPNs too, etc.)
If they use this as a measure to block bad guys, they're going to block a lot of people who need these services for work and things. It would not be a good idea to do this.

>At this point I hope you see that abolishing the law will only hurt the rights of the people only for profit of the already rich monopolies.
I see this as a fight between which monopolies get to fuck US citizens. Whoever wins, we lose, etc etc

>you don't need the Internet
People are this stupid.

I disagree that it will be hard at all for isps to block specific sites. Because of the transparent nature of the TCP/IP protocol and the fact that they have done it before (see image. from 2014, incident practically inspired NN laws).

Oops here's img

>NN repeal might destroy reddit
That would be a good thing.

And Sup Forums too you imbecile

ISPs can only see where you're connecting and when. The data that's transferred in between is likely going to be encrypted to the point where performing a man-in-the-middle wouldn't make sense to do financially. If they wanted to block a site, it may be faster/doable to simply proxy through to that site instead.

The graph you show is alarming, but I don't know enough about this case to relate it generally. Netflix makes up a huge amount of traffic on the web. I'm not sure how well that will translate to regular sites/services

The image means absolutely nothing if you are still able to stream content at full resolution. It's stupid.

>what is download speed and how does it relate to buffering and end user experience

Go back to plebbit OP, you fucking newfag.
Sup Forums has been pro-net neutrality even during Obama rule.
Fuck off.

>be comcast ISP tech
>see that everyone has speeds that are over 20% of what's required for good HD experience
>drop the bandwidth by 20% so more users can be accommodated to also have the same great HD experience
>save the company money
>maybe even have that savings passed onto consumers or in upgrading overall internet delivery infrastructure
>you, an informed citizen: MY DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ARE INSUFFICIENT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Except for mobile ISPs*

Don't be surprised if you lose access to Sup Forums.

Same for me in australia. I'm worried that with the huge decrease in users Sup Forums will be forced to shut down though.

>i dont know how ANY of this works: the post

And nothing of value was lost

According to that graph comcast could still have 20 times the speed that any other service offers. Each ISP's performance is only relative to itself over time. What likely happened is that comcast overall had more subscribers and no infrastructure development to netflix until jan 2014. Since the graph does not actually provide an absolute value for download speed it means nothing.

I fail to see the downside

good riddance

You're not a comcast tech, but you ARE very clearly a moron who doesn't understand how the internet works

For starters, overselling capacity doesn't save the company money, it makes the company more money while providing shittier service.

the only place on the internet providing actual free speech

it's popular for a reason

>I'm not sure how well that will translate to regular sites/services

If they can pinch you for a dollar, they will.

Americans celebrating net neutrality repeal are basically begging for corporate dicks being rammed up their collective asses

it's a law that doesn't really do anything
providers can throttle however they like already, and nothing will stop them. We need an actual effective law

I don't know why people are celebrating it or afraid of it, since it doesn't even protect against what it's supposed to

It does though because there have been a shitload of lawsuit cases and suing done by the FCC, trying to uphold NN standards

Net neutrality needed to introduce a ban on data caps.

Imagine the shit fit if they tried to bring back data caps.

Also, this seems like a good video on the situation.
I already agree that NN is important, and shouldn't be revoked, so I'm shilling this video. Hopefully I'm not just pissing in the wind by posting this
youtube.com/watch?v=nqJDW_s93rc

Where's that graphic from? Argie here we have Cablevision and is the worst shit ever, I mean, not like blocking-and-throtling-usa bad, but low speed (50mb/s max) bad

t. Poor

net neutrality

noun

>the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites.

You both got it wrong so sounds like the corporate drone while sounds like someone who wants their internet to be free even though I'm pretty sure it's the other way round since you don't know the meaning of Net Neutrality

Also why does Sup Forums talk about freedom n shit but hates Net Neutrality?

The end of net neutrality is not as bad as they make it seem. But you should not oppose net neutrality simply because it's supported by nu-males.

this too

>Also why does Sup Forums talk about freedom n shit but hates Net Neutrality?

shills and trolls

>Also why does Sup Forums talk about freedom n shit but hates Net Neutrality?

It's Ajit Pai and the entire FCC singlehandedly trolling Sup Forums

>actual free speech
You must be new here

These threads are pure unfiltered cancer, someone do something

>be me
>Have wifi hot spot
>neighbors too poor
>Sell neighbors access to my wifi
>we ISP now
>2 neighbors use up all my bandwidth
>video streaming
>other 5 complain
>throttle the two
>now they REEEEEE
>sorry
>greater good
>google notices
>*blocks your path*
>"You have to hook this wire into your network for YouTubes"
>Don't have NIC
>"You have to buy it!"
>WTF? I don't have to buy anything
>You want to hook a wire into my network and make me buy the NIC?
>"Net Neutrality!"
>Fuck you, my network
>"REEEEEE Net Neutrality!"
>Fuck you, my network
>Obama FCC
>"You ISP. You buy NIC. You gibs YouTubes for free"
>see_you_in_court.jpg
>Court says your network, FCC can fuck off
>Think it's over
>FCC returns
>*blocks your path*
>"Title II, you buy NIC"
>Fuck you, I won this already
>I don't buy NIC
>GTFO
>"Executive order. Takes effect 2017. You buy NIC. Gibs free YouTubes"
>2016 election
>Trump wins
>Based Ajit Pai to rescue
>"Your network user. Your decision."
>Tells Google and YouTube to fuck off
>Reddit REEEEEs
>2 bandwidth hog neighbors REEEE
>Tell them if they don't like it, buy their own damn wifi

Fin

Did Sup Forums tell you that? The same board that's so full of ideologically driven animals that anything that's remotely an independent thought gets you accused of shilling

they know no one will pay to use reddit as a subscription service, this kills the reddit

as soon as monyies can be made, a lot better reddit competitor will pop up out of nowhere and be the better paid service

>Sup Forums
>free speech

You're THIS brainwashed and you STILL can't see it?

Bruh, with all due respect, kys. For the sake of our species. Please! You will benefit the herd as a unit by cutting off a brain as weak as yours. Not trying to be an asshole, it's not your fault, I get it. For real though, your greatest contribution to mankind would be ending your life.

That would be true, if the ISPs hadn't already lobbied to essentially block out any and all competition.

In my area, which is a VERY metropolitan area, there is only one high speed internet provider, unless you want 1mbps speeds with DSL.

Also ISPs have even been signing contracts with apartment complexes so that they are the only ones that can provide internet to that complex.

Not to mention the fact that they also wouldn't give a shit about simply just agreeing with the other ISPs to price fix, the same way airlines were doing.

There's no such thing as the perfect free market, within which competition balances everything out, because the most profitable thing is always to not compete in the first place.

That's what the government is for, but libertardians and republishits are always about 'muh free market' 'muh invisible hand'.

Capitalism, like any economic system, in it's purest, unregulated form, will always become abusive. There's a reason we had to create unions, and labor laws - because without them, big businesses just operated like mafias and cartels.

>confusing capitalism with mercantilism

Reminder you can say the same about the EU's border policy

the removal of net neutralty is obviously a bad thing
it might mean your bandwidth might get capped for some services rather than others depending on what ISP you have
it's obviously much more ideal (for the consumer) for there to be net neutrality

>Net Neutrality

What net neutrality? You mean the relabeled SOPA bill that Obama pawned off onto the public using a misleading name?

>tfw people tell you that the end of net neutrality will be the end of the internet while the internet was still fine before 2015

Net neutrality is already nonexistent. Just look at the Daily Stormer fiasco

Oh no he is selling our rights for a crate of diet coke!

It applies to mobile isps too, that's why they have absurdly low data caps.

Net neutrality is good.

The effects of repealing it will be bad for ordinary Internet users, but probably not as bad as people are saying, and it won't be an overnight change. I think gradually you will start to see stuff like Comcast letting you watch all the videos from NBC News and MSNBC that you want without contributing to your data cap, while Fox News and CNN videos still contribute to your data cap. And other stuff like that.

Another thought: it's reasonable to expect that we'll have a pro-NN, Democratic President at the start of 2021, so ISPs could decide it's not worth going to the trouble to implement these schemes if the next chairman of the FCC reinstates the net neutrality rules.

Political voices I usually trust are all anti net neutrality...
I don't even know what to believe anymore.

HP laptops are shipping with key loggers.
CPUs are being compromised.
Tv and film are overly pc.
Women are retarded.
Food is poison.
Videogames are loot box simulators.
Sports are full of niggers.
Music is corporate paint by numbers garbage.

What's even the point of it all?

Net neutrality is another one of those liberal feel good terms that solves nothing and acts as a regulatory substitute for the lack of competition between ISPs which resulted in even more barriers to competition such as needing prior approval from the FCC to upgrade ISP equipment that can't be challenged if denied.

Every news organisation and major tech company is telling you that net neutrality is a good thing. Who's behind all of these companies?

Why aren't we advocating policies that promote competition and not be subjugated to the internet at the speed of government? Do you hate freedom?

BRRRLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMPPPFFFF!!!