Been thinking about saving up for this primarily as a portable emulation/scurvy machine...

Been thinking about saving up for this primarily as a portable emulation/scurvy machine. Anybody have any insight on this?

Why not just buy a regular laptop and get a separate bluetooth controller?

get an nvidia shield handheld instead. it's actually ergonomic and is good for emulating pretty much anything the GPDwin can, aside from dolphin

I don't like the idea of lugging around a laptop everywhere if I just want to play kirby or metroid

Other anons have said it well... might be worth your time to check out /vr/ as they are fairly informed on portable emulation gear. Biggest thing to worry about an all in one is if a joystick or whatever breaks you're fucked.

Well, for emulation? It's a 10/10 if you find the price reasonable.
Also for older Windows games and newer indie titles.

They are working on a GPD Win 2 also, I don't have much information, the stick layout looks worse, the specs are better, but the price is probably going to be really high because of the chips they are using.
So I wouldn't be holding my breath until they have at least a few revisions of the Win 2 out.

Thank you. I'll lurk around there for an emulation general.

GPD Win uses off the shelf sticks that the Vita also uses, so they are easy to get. I've taken one apart, joystick replacement isn't hard.

Check the archive, there's no threads about it or related right now, but there's discussion about handheld/portable emulation and specifically the GPD Win every now and then.
Basically all the threads are identical as there hasn't been much change in the past year though.

anybody here have the gpd xd is it any good

Can you install Linux on these?

I'd wait till the 2 comes out. I'm going to scoop up a first gen to replace my VAIO UX when the prices drop.

Can't toss a laptop in your pocket

Why does that thing cost 400 US bucks?
For that price you might aswell just buy a switch or something like that.

just wait for the second one to come out in spring 2018 trust me

ill sell you one for 290$

Why not just get a 3ds

Show me how to play San Andreas on a 3DS and I'll consider it.

Oh, you actually want to play android games LOL not good games in general

Two words:
Softmodded PSP

Where did I say anything about Android? Why would I get a Windows device for Android games?

>not a Vita
At least you tried

I have a Win. And I recommend waiting for the Win 2. Start saving for it now.
The Win needs a lot of tweaking. Perhaps too much for the average user. That's just the nature of Atom devices, even Cherrytrail Atoms, Windows 10 is very bloaty, and new builds of Windows 10 can bring driver issues to the poor thing.
Mine's still on the first creative update, I keep my connection metered, which is ok since all I use is steam, gog games, and emulators on it. Nothing pirated.
I do use it quite a lot, I do love my Win. I have a 128gb Samsung Fit full of indie games on it. A 128gb memory card full of Roms.
Also, I had to order some spare batteries from China for it. Not because mine has failed, mine seems to be running well (mine doesn't get as hot since I disabled the turbo by clocking it to 99% CPU Max), but as a precaution, since some people have reported swollen batteries in their Wins.

vita*

Why would you need a Vita if it doesn't have many more games than the PSP?

For the better processor, additional memory, better screen, dual analog sticks, better dpad, cellular radio, etc.

GTA 3, VC, and SA were all re-released on Android in like 2013.

I'm well aware. That still doesn't address the fact that I said nothing about Android.

Get a GPD xd or an ipega controller for your phone
The handheld emulation scene has been killed by phones sadly

oh