/amg/ Apple & Mac General

Previous thread This thread is for the discussion of Apple's Mac computers and macOS.

Recommended video players: IINA, VLC.
lhc70000.github.io/iina/
videolan.org/vlc/

Recommended browser: Safari (or Safari Tech Preview/WebKit Nightly if you do web development). Safari's speed and impact on battery life are vastly superior to all other browsers available on macOS. If the lack of .webm support really upsets you, just run them through IINA, or get the VLC Web Plugin.

The most popular *nix-like package managers for macOS are Homebrew and MacPorts.
Macports has more packages overall, but Homebrew has a larger community and has pretty much every Unix utility you'd need.
brew.sh
macports.org

Current macOS version is 10.13 (High Sierra). Most initial release bugs are fixed with 10.13.2, however, it's recommended that you stay on 10.12 (Sierra) until 10.13.3. If you really want to upgrade, back up your shit and do a clean install as to avoid conflicts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-6J9YYEKHg0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>god i wish my computer would struggle with the most basic of tasks

Are there any good laptops?

>what is GPU rendering

>tfw updated the Mac Mini to 10.13.2
>tfw it freezes every 30 seconds
>tfw it freezes even typing shit in the terminal
>tfw can't do my job
>tfw I hate Apple more and more every passing day
Seriously, I only use the Mac when I can't use the PC. I really really really don't understand the fascination. It doesn't work at all.

Would it be more worthwhile buying a second hand Mac mini or making a cheap hackintosh?

I only have about £300

you'd be better off saving your money.

Why not take that money and buy a Dell XPS?

I´m deciding between a macbook pro 13" with touchbar 256gb, without TB 256gb, or without tb 128gb.
Touchbar has better cpu and I heard it cools better. Is this true?
Price range is: 1,5k tb, 1,4k 256gb, 1,18k 128gb

>hurr durr mac shit bla bla bla bla

Touchbar model has better specs
I'm getting the 13" TB but im stuck between upgrading the SSD from 256GB to 512GB or upgrading the 3.1GHz i5 for the 3.5GHz i7
Suggestions?

>macshit
>specs mattering
Either piles of shit will get shat on by a $600 walmart laptop. Apple is a fucking joke.

Why do you buy a MacBook Air for rendering?

No GPU

Do both. These are parts you can NEVER replace again. For a computer that costs that much, might as well make it worth it's money. You know 256gb won't be enough. You know. And the price to upgrade the CPU really isn't substantial taking the cost of the whole thing in mind. Do it.

Hating on Apple is so pretentious. We get it, you're better than the regular consumer. Now fuck off.

>be adult
>use a Mac
>don't notice any of the autist issues Sup Forums seems to have
>have sex with women

wow, it's almost like operating system is a matter of personal preference

hackintosh all the way

Hackintosh will serve you better. You'll have fewer issues on the Mini, but it won't be a nice experience anyway since it's so weak.

>>be adult
>>use a Mac
Pick one.

But what about the cooling? I am only coding and stuff for computer science.

I mean it's a difference of 500k for 256gb and better cpu.

Because Wangblows.

That depends on your tasks. You might never need anything more than i5. On the other side, you won't be able to replace it if you do.

no one? Pls help..

What should I look at for my budget?
A Ivy Bridge/Haswell i5?

I can get an ivy bridge i5 for about £50

>night shift can't be turned on without giving apple your location by enabling location services
Fucking retarded.

It's almost like a sizable portion of Sup Forums doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

>earth is flat

>manual timezone selection isn't a thing
They do this on purpose to collect (((("""anonymous""")))) data don't they

enjoying my new mbp

get a mac mini

touchbar model has two fans while non touchbar model only comes with one fan

Wipe it, and install Linux. The hardware is probably fine.

for hackintosh you can only use very specific hardware don't blow your money on that shit, and eventhough you're neet, don't waste your time. You won't have any benefit from having a hackintosh.

The one that only comes with one fan has a higher frequency and could be more annoying under load.

I'd love to get a new Mac mini with modern specs. Too bad the largest company on earth run by rainbow coalition can't figure out how to make one.

Think I'm going to get that new HP Z2 Mini 3. I7-7000. Looks HOT!

here if you search on youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=-6J9YYEKHg0

>root:
>

I want to get the basic Mac Mini for $499.
I'm using a 2011 Toshiba laptop, so anything will feel faster than that.
Is the Mac mini a good way to get into using Apple products?
What are the negatives?
Any other product recommendations for under $600?

>timezone
>what is earth tilt

>Very specific hardware
>A motherboard that supports an Intel processor
>An Intel processor
>A GPU that didn't come out in the last 5 minutes

Nigga, just

Congrats, user!

Who cares, night shift doesn't have to be 100% exact if I don't want it to

The only negative I'd say that comparing with MBPs minis are less powerful and you will be immobile with one. 600 dola could get you a used 2011-2013 MBP.

Tonymac, despite getting hate from part of hackintosh fanbase from their elitism, actually has good lists for supported hackintosh hardwares. You should look up it.

The fuck lads? As long as you use intel as your CPU, you can just install it.

A good way to get into using Apple products is hackintosh, I think. Most of people who use hackintosh actually buying real mac after that.

>A GPU that didn't come out in the last 5 minutes
wrong

>Tonymac, despite getting hate from part of hackintosh fanbase from their elitism, actually has good lists for supported hackintosh hardwares. You should look up it.
Never use tonymac

>As long as you use intel as your CPU, you can just install it.
I thought it depended on your motherboard too.
Won't it be buggy as shit?

they are still fairly good for a workstation, even with moderate developer workloads driving two screens. just be sure to buy a 2012. not 2011 because it doesn't have usb3 and not 2013 or newer because it's no longer upgradeable (UNLESS you can find a 2013 or newer with 8-16GB of RAM for cheap). even then don't pay more than $300 for a 2012. and buy and replace the SSD yourself. you can install 2 with a aftermarket bracket.

Thanks for making these threads OP. It's shocking to see a reasonable thread on Mac on Sup Forums.

Just like I don't use MAL for the forum, I also don't use tonymac for the forum.

No, not really. My hackintosh laptop is fine and all.
But well you should look up the recommendation motherboard since you build hackintosh from the scratch.

where can I get the snow leopard iso without botnet/from a reputable site? don't wanna spend 20 eurobucks for it right now

You can if you use an external GPU system.

We need volunteers with writing skills to write some buying guides.

Oh look its this eternally butthurt 3rd worlder moron again. I bet you regret posting this webm on Sup Forums of all places, fucking idiot lmao.

holy shit, what an idiot

>cover flow no longer available in file selector
what did Apple mean by this and how do I re-enable it?

Seriously cover flow best way to quickly sort through thousands of images.

Is an iPad Pro a decent travel computer? Going on a trip. Going to need:

- Some way to load my Canon DSLR pics into Photos
- A browser
- SSH client to service my clients while on a trip (tfw fake vacation)

What's a computer?

There's a Lightning to USB/SD Card adapter. As for the other two, obviously there's a browser and quite few decent SSH clients but I haven't been in the loop on the best current one for a while.

Here's a starter: Don't buy one.

Mactoddlers have defended this.