"Lets Teach Kids to Program!"

Why is there such a high social incentive to teach kids how to program? I'm asking because i feel like this will lead to the tech market getting flooded and thus reduce our pay. Am i just being paranoid or will this actually have an adverse effect on my lively-hood?
((They)) keep using the excuse that "its basic 21st century literacy" but is this true or just a cover-up?
Discuss

Learning how to program does not a good software engineer make, just like high school physics and mathematics does not flood the market with redundant bridge building engineers.

Only pajeets need worrying.

>reduce our pay.

You already know the incentive. Employers hate paying high wages.

It's just meaningless feel good bullshit because no one wants to address the actual real issues with our retarded education system.

(Satan Quads!!!)
But programming in general is the laymans skill. As far as i am awayre anyone can do it (but few can do it well). My problem is the tsunami of tards that will come flooding in. A more saturated market means lower pay too, which i fucking hate.

I suppose i do, i might be wrong. I want a discuss.

I really fucking hope so.

>My problem is the tsunami of tards that will come flooding in
There already is a tsunami of tards, which is why all jobs worth their salt require a degree in engineering or science.

>A more saturated market means lower pay too, which i fucking hate.
It's not saturated when you are barring people without degrees.

I have a feeling it's gonna end up being New Math all over again.

No degree here & I can guarantee I code better than you and yes, my job is worth its salt. Don't confuse paper with skill faglord.

Dont mind him, the paper tard is in debt

You being better at programming language X than me proves absolutely nothing. In fact, you are actually just supporting my case that only code monkeys need worry.

My current job requires an intricate understanding of how the OS works and how PCI Express works. My previous job required a deep understanding of how TCP worked. Sure, you could probably teach yourself this, but you'd spend about the same time I spent doing a degree in first place.

Absolutely no amount of high school programming classes are even going to remotely prepare you for that.

> but you'd spend about the same time I spent doing a degree in first place.
nop
go pay your debt

because there is no point of teaching the next generation skills that robots will do for them, other than programming

1) I don't have debt, university level education is Free(tm) in my country.
2) Not an argument.

Hi, I wonder to what university did you assist, because I'm learning fuckall that I don't already know, just a few things but at a very basic level

Because programming is an excellent way to teach with a project oriented mindset and it improves critical and algorithmical thinking, promotes group work and is generally an easy way to increase tech literacy as it motivates kids to go use many resources. The goal is not to raise programmers, it's to teach programming,

>I wonder to what university did you assist,
What do you mean?

>I'm learning fuckall that I don't already know, just a few things but at a very basic level
You should spend your time learning more on your own as well, and not simply be passively attending undergraduate classes and expect to be spoonfed new knowledge.

>muh paper
you are just mad because any retard can learn everything your shitty university teached you on the internet, and land a nice job without a piece of paper kek

learn a boring niche area of programming that pajeets wouldnt touch with a 20 foot long piece of shit
problem solved

Ah yes if I don't get milked by the system for a fucking piece of paper some people think I shouldn't be hired
Only two people types of people could be behind those posts, the first being people who already got milked by the system

Like which one?
How to know what they are not going to learn?

DESU the big pile of "coders" coming out of High Schools are not gonna be a problem.

At the very much they will learn, basic control flow structures and some basic algorithms.

Good coders where rare 20 years ago, are rara today and will be rare tomorrow.

Any way to tell if i'm one of those good coders?

then what is your point against people who don't have a degree? If I'm expected to learn shit on my own anyway

I'm not worried about it. Generations are just going to be more and more dumbed down. I wouldn't be surprised if programming is considered racist one day and is eliminated from curriculums entirely.

Two reasons.

First, yeah, to lower tech salaries. We have a "chronic shortage of techies"... And yet the market clearing pay for them is lower than jobs we have an oversupply of like lawyers and managers. Notice how all the solutions are getting more people into the field via majors and propaganda but none are about increasing their wages after the fact. The bar association exists openly to limit the supply of lawyers and thus keep pay high. They adjust the bar exams to do this, and admit to it.

Second, because widespread numeracy really is valuable to a civilization, and if we want to compete we need those skills. Plus knowing cs and math give you a mental disciple and intellectual rigor that you can't get in poli sci or law school. But that's a social good, and so lawyers, politicians, etc are happy to free ride on the hard work of others.

Finally, a kid learning programming in elementary school can pick it up easily. Later in life it requires more of a conceptual shift. So it makes sense to encourage your kids to learn now while it's easy.

Lmao, you're just a bitter LARPER.

>better than you
Show me your shitty github

Most 1st world countries would prefer more qualified people.
Why do you think the GAFA use H1B like mad? Can't find enough decent engineers in the US.

i am paper debt tard ;_;

because besides someone else programming up a gui, programming is how you interact with the computer.

The way in which excel is used by almost every organisation on the planet is a perfect example of why people be taught to program. Most basic functioning adults can reason with logic to solve a specific problem (even if they can't apply that elsewhre in life but whatever), they just don't know the right tools to use. So they use excel.

and to this effect I think teaching shit like scripts and macros is more important than teaching shit like allocating memory in C.

>Why do you think the GAFA use H1B like mad?
Because they can these people in peanuts.

H1B visa is not offshore. People in jobs with H1B face the exact same cost of living that non H1B employees do within a given region. They are just willing to accept a job with less disposable income.

This is one of those market forces you americans love so much.

It's simple, learn to do things that require at least a surface understading of calculus or linear algebra.

If you have to ask, you arent a good coder

The IT market is already flooded with pajeets, who brought the wages down to the point i quit and became a cop.

Working with computers is like being the coal miner of the 21st century

>have computer science classes from 7th-12th grade
>became mechanical engineer anyways
how is there any relation between schooling and the field of work students choose? They also taught us English and I'm neither a translator nor a teacher.

can attest, fucking inept people "XD NERDS" have taken it over, to the point i do power engineering

almost none of these little shits is actually going to learn how to program well enough to be employed
it's just a fad

I cant remember where I saw it but when someone asked this before the best response was something like:
"Teach every child first aid to a useful degree before even thinking about touching programming"
The every child needs to be able to program meme is a way to try and encourage globalization and shows how much the people promoting it devalue manual labour. A lot of lefties have this stupid ass view that within half a century robots will be doing all our menial tasks.
That however, will no way happen for everything. There's too many exceptions in the real world for robotics to handle, sure exoskeletons, vision augmentation, IOT and the rest of it will become common if we're lucky but that wont change the fact that people's pipes are still going to break in winter, wooden furniture will still be desirable, etc.
If a craft people know today existed before the 20th century there's pretty much a guarantee that after the robot revolution it'll still be needed.
Once again liberals that push for everyone to learn code are appealing to their emotion. They believe that if everyone learns to code from a young age then everyone will be good at it and thus everyone will get paid a high paying STEM salary. This isn't how money works at all, but then again lefties have never displayed much in the way of understanding value.

Programming is a means to an end not an end in itself. It's a tool like email and spreadsheets.

But they can if there's nothing else, which is why he is paranoid.

Top answer, nothing more to add.

> this will lead to the tech market getting flooded and thus reduce our pay
That's the point. Business needs cheap workers.