Speakers general?

I always see headphones but never speakers

picked up a couple of speakers from a garage sale for pretty cheap

a pair of infinity systems alpha 20 and a pair of Polk audio m4 series 2

which one do you think I should be using with my PC once I get an amp?

I mainly listen to music and watch movies on my PC.

every now and then I get into gaming but I can also go months without ever loading up a game

without having an amp yet. how can I know through specs which is theoretically better? what should I be looking at when checking out their spec sheets?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/products/infinity-alpha-20-speakers-wired-series/specs/
polksda.com/monitor4.shtml
thomann.de/ie/focusrite_scarlett_solo_2nd_gen.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier
calaudiotech.com/pages/product_line.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You could look at the frequency response graphs if they exist. But graphs only give you an idea of how much lows mid high the speaker produces, the real test is listening to them.

These seem to be the specs

infinity systems alpha 20
cnet.com/products/infinity-alpha-20-speakers-wired-series/specs/

polk audio m4 series 2
polksda.com/monitor4.shtml

Can you gauge which should sound better just from paper stats?

They both appear to be front firing ports which can be a bonus for a desk setup.

The polks claim to reach 35 hz where as the infinity roll off at 55hz. This may be a concern I'd you don't want to add a subwoofer.

I picked up a pair of polk audio T15's waiting for my lepai amp to come in.

Just get JBL LSR305 while they're still $200 a pair. Best value since you don't need separate amps and the waveguide is godlike.

Then op has 3 sets of bookshelves and still no amp.

Buy an amp.

>The polks claim to reach 35 hz where as the infinity roll off at 55hz. This may be a concern I'd you don't want to add a subwoofer. as I don't have the space for one I don't think.

what do the hz mean? the lower the more likely you need a sub? where's the threshold where people generally get a sub?

are those lepai amps and decent? I'm hearing for the most part that they are just a waste of money and have buzzing sounds and shit

>falling for the amp jew

center speaker recommendations? preferably yamaha 100-200€ new.

Currently have KRK rp5 with the 12" sub as my main system, and pair of Yamaha NS-10MC as my secondary.

My plan is to replace my KRK system with the Genelec 8040B. No sub. The KRK system is good, it has served it's purpose. I have use for it elsewhere, and i'm starting to outgrow it. Plus. i want something in the 6-7 inch range

Other good shit: Dynaudio, Focal, Mackie (Hrmk 8", the USA ones)

Anyone have recommendations for powered studio monitors that don't hiss? I fell for the lsr305 meme and I can hear the tweeters hiss from two meters away.

Yamaha HS monitors only start audibly hissing at max gain and when you're about 20cm away from them with no signal sent. LSR hiss is pretty bad compared to those.

sounds like your shits defective

This friend who works in retail told me that amps from late 80s to mid 90s are often better then most of the amps made today, is he right?

Picked up a Yamaha AX500

I think it's an amp from the 80s

cost me $5

anyone know much about these? can you hook them up to a computer?

Any kef ls50fags here? I wanna upgrade soon, you guys got any suggestions?

>those armpits

she's qt enough that her armpit hair and sometimes unshaven legs would be worth it

Do you still need an amp if you got an audio interface?

Doesn't the interface have an amp in it too?

They went for $160 a pair last week, I was tempted to pick up another set or two, maybe try to resell them, but held out.

I cross mine over with a MiniDSP and subwoofer, shit sounds pretty damn good.

The lower the speakers play, the less you need a subwoofer.

If the Polks can play to 35 Hz (because some specs are bullshit), a subwoofer is optional, I'd say 55 Hz wants a sub.

One important threshold is 80 Hz, because below that human ears can't typically hear directional cues from sound.

What's your budget.

I've heard good things about the Kef LS50 Wireless.

If you had fuck you money, I'd say check out the Kii Three. Seems amazing from the reviews, but $12k...

What's an audio interface? Like a soundcard? They might have a headphone amp, but not a speaker amp.

It depends if you're using passive or active speakers.

Active, you can just plug into.

Passive, you need an amp and speaker wires running to the speaker.

everything you listed shits on rokits. genelecs are op af. mackies and yamaha are solid. check out adams while youre at it

that almost definitely has nothing to do with the speakers and everything to do with where your audio signal is coming from or else your power

yes. you still need an amp whether it is built in to the speakers (active) or separate with passive speakers. you might be thinking of preamps

that's a really autistic way of saying everything below 80hz is always gonna be in mono

Vanatoo Zeros/Ones?

No.

Show us a picture of the back, but probably yeah, just get a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable.

Something like this:

thomann.de/ie/focusrite_scarlett_solo_2nd_gen.htm

I am currently running my speakers thru it and I think I'm getting higher volume than from the PC's headphone input.

>No

proofs

>that almost definitely has nothing to do with the speakers and everything to do with where your audio signal is coming from or else your power

I get a small hiss from my LSR305s without any audio cables connected and power plug in a UPS. Turning down the volume means I can't hear it unless I press my ear to them.

So that has RCA outs, which means your speakers have amps built in. You're good.

>but probably yeah, just get a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable

yup this works, at least I tried it with my phone.

from where my amp is to where my PC tower is, I will probably be needing a 2-3 metre RCA to 3.5mm jack cable.

would I need to spend more or get a thicker wired one because EOF the distance or should a standardish thickness be enough

What about them? You can't take your girls with a little hair?

then either your speakers are broken, they are built with shitty amps, or your power is dirty

sounds like it's just shitty amps :/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

No, standard should be fine, I usually pay slightly over the cheapest cable for looks, but we're talking $15 instead of $10.

Expensive cables are for idiots who jerk off to how expensive their systems and don't listen to music.

wtf is wrong with this setup?

Looks like soy boy toys. They seriously any good?

Ive got one it works well. No buzzing unless I turn the speakers up to max volume and Im pretty sure its coming from my mobo and not the amp anyway. Would recommend if you need a cheap amp.

30Hz to 25kHz +/- 0.5dB is pretty amazing in that size, 19 Hz at -3 dB?

Anyone excited for the Google Home Max?

Built-in room correction hopefully gives us something worth listening to.

>mono speaker
>primitive room correction leagues behind actual dsp
>$400
>"worth listening to"

I will take a big fat pass on that one. A $100 minidsp box takes a royal steaming shit on the room correction it has.

>$400
>$100
How much do I pay a hooker to lick my tweeter for?

Pls someone recommend me the absolute cheapest (preferably USB powered) speakers that aren't total garbage. Just looking to replace the utter shit ones that are built into my monitor which rattle and squeak. If they get decently loud without distortion I'm happy, I already have good headphones for when I need good audio.

Mackie cr3

Anything a little more expensive? Those are much too cheap for what I want to use them for.

I'm currently using Monoprice 5" studio monitors.

Got them on sale about a year ago. Well worth the money.

JBL lsr305

With a sub or by themselves?

I don't have room for a full stereo setup in some rooms, plus WAF for a single device is a lot higher.

Other option I've been looking at is the Peachtree Deepblue2, although the Deepblue3 is apparently almost out.

>she's qt enough that her armpit hair and sometimes unshaven legs would be worth it

No, not really

Pls someone gib a serious answer.

I don't understand what's wrong with the answers you've been given.

Get the Mackie CR3s for $100 or the JBL LSR305s for $200.
I'd also add the Micca PB42Xs for around $120.

I'm poor.

I did, Mackie cr3.

I am here to shill forever and for all eternity the JBL LSR 305s

If you have less than $500 to spend on a pair of monitors, there are no better alternatives. None. They rape everything beneath $500 without comparison.

Best god damn speakers I've ever had

Ascend acoustics sierra 2 is godlike, either that or get 3x chane a2.4 and use them as LCR (for the L/R channels you need to unscrew the tweeter and turn it sideways)

>With a sub or by themselves?
By themselves, the 10" monoprice sub that pairs with them is $50 more than I paid for the pair of monitors. I might upgrade eventually. But most of my serious listening happens with my HD650 anyway.

Swans d1010-iv

If you're willing to wait, Salk sound tower 3.

Or the philharmonic audio bmr monitor

Wait, so
>Anything a little more expensive? Those are much too cheap for what I want to use them for.

wasn't you then? What is your budget then? Country as well.

But user, what if I want a 5.1 setup, or need to put my monitors right up against the wall? What then, hotshot?

Then figure it out and get the 305s. They are the most recommended speakers among budget audiophiles for a reason

Word. Those are excellent value since you don't need an amp.

It's shit, the good one was a class T, the new one is class D and with worse components. IIRC the new one doesn't have a heatsink.

Do you have discord I wanna talk to you :>

I want to get these but I've heard their bass is shitty... -3db 19hz is achievable thru dsp, not acoustics... for 10grand you bet your ass I want a lot of positive feedback from my friends, not reviews online. stereophile specs seem kind of wonky, and i find the whole dsp speaker thing wonky, just doesnt seem like a good idea to have dac and adc in one unit.

Are the KEF Q100 worth getting as desktop speakers? I have a ~27sqm room and do not want the sound to leak outside most of the time, so i'd run them at relatively low volumes.

you wont get much detail out of q100 at low volumes but then again you wouldnt get a lot of detail at any speaker in that price range

nothing personal but I don't do discord. Sup Forums n shhiieeet. Are you the same user from a few days ago that asked for tube/low watt friendly speakers?

Q100 have a very compromised first order crossover. Great driver but the terrible crossover makes them peaky.

C note from parts express is a much better kit for cheaper. They'd make great bookshelf speakers for a desk, especially if you can make a front port for them

Are Swan Hivi M10s a good budget choice?

>memespeaker
>memespeaker
>always memespeaker

Christ, thanks for taking a good thing and running into the ground, you fucking retard.

Thank you. I will look into the C-Note, never heard of them before. Do you know of any other speakers that have good detail, imaging and low range at a reasonable price? I am not providing a specific price range because i don't know much about speakers, so I don't know the lowest price I'd have to pay for a decent pair.

Interesting, Gearslutz loved their bass, only non-cost criticism they had was the mids, some listeners preferred Amphions + sub.

Ehh, they're not complete shit, if you have to get a 2.1 in a box it's that or the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia I'd say.

If you're not up for the DIY, I've heard good things about the Affordable Accuracy Monitor.

Seconding this statement.

I don't mind DIY. The only problem is that those speakers aren't readily available in Europe, so I'd have to pay a lot for shipping and import taxes.

need some good speakers for my pc mostly movies music and gaming
for 300 euro do I just go jbl lsr305 and some audio interface like that scarlet or whatever its called or something else you recommend? buying from thomann

I'm a little turned on.

>Budget
>Location
>Nearfield/Midfield/Farfield
>Music or Home Theater
>Passive or Active
>Existing Gear

Any other common questions that would help for gear recommendations?

form factor

I have yet to find a pair of speakers that sound as detailed as my LCD-X under 5 grands. Help a brother out anyone?

Fuck off and go do some auditions for real speakers.

Oh wait? 5 grand. That's a pussy budget if you actually are looking to get into high end speakers.

Used magnepan 3.6s or 3.7s

>as detailed as my LCD-X under 5 grands

Are you an idiot?

Maybe multiply your budget by 5 and you could get something.

>Calling them a meme makes them bad!
Kill yourself you fucking faggot

They're not bad, they're actually pretty fucking good, I own them myself, I'm just sick of one-trick faggots like you who blindly recommend in every fucking situation

You guys are not meme-ing right? So like how much you need to spend to get a speakers that equal top tier headphone setups?

These the same as Mini Maggies?

What the fuck? Why are you still here. Kill yourself.

>So like how much you need to spend to get a speakers that equal top tier headphone setups

Well top end speaker systems go anywhere from $30,000 to some system costs $300,000+.

There are SINGLE speakers that can run you $40k+

Realistically if you're buying new you're looking at a minimum probably $20,000.

>Realistically if you're buying new you're looking at a minimum probably $20,000.

Welp, no wonder headphones are all the rage lately... traditional two channels are prohibitively expensive.

To be honest you're at the point where you either need to start getting into the industry yourself and doing most of the leg work yourself and buying the equipment needed, determining proper placement of speakers for a particular room, measuring the room with proper equipment to make sure placement was done properly, etc.

OR you pay money to hire professionals to do this for you.

no. The mini Maggie's don't have a ribbon tweeter. Also, larger surfsce areas for planars= better sound

They're totally meme-ing, ignore the tards.

$300k systems are either for concert halls, stadiums, or to look impressive for other rich people. Even the TOTL B&O speakers only run 90k a pair.

He's full of shit, you can get an amazing stereo setup for a lot less than that.

The other nice thing about audio systems is you can build them a piece at a time. Get your speakers and amp if you're going passive, then add a subwoofer, then add a DSP for room equalization, stands, maybe a pre-amp or mixer, then start upgrading when deals come your way.

Room correction gear isn't cheap, but it's not $20k.

>you can get an amazing stereo setup
He's not asking for that, he's asking for a set that will give him equal or greater detail than his LCD-X

Anyway since I have a preference for the LCD-X which to my ears have an ever so slightly warm-tilted sound with powerful bass response, what kind of speakers would suit my taste? Other than the Magneplanar stuff of course. A friend owned the KEF LS50 and to me these sound weird and peaky as fuck.

I need a cheap, small desktop amplifier to move on from my marantz that's taking up way too much space and consumes too much energy.

I was looking at the SMSL SA-36A but I'm afraid it will just die on me after a few weeks or months of use. I have my amplifier turned on for 10+ hours a day so reliability is a big concern for me.

I don't want to buy a piece of shit either, preferably something with not-too-noticeable noise and distortion. Does anyone have experience with these SMSL chinkshits or better yet have something better to recommend me?

>$300k systems are either for concert halls, stadiums, or to look impressive for other rich people. Even the TOTL B&O speakers only run 90k a pair.
Or maybe you're just poor

calaudiotech.com/pages/product_line.html

CAT MDX will run you ~$400,000-500k for a stereo setup. Several million for larger systems.

As the user earlier said, start auditioning.

You obviously have a sound signature YOU prefer. No one else is going to be able to answer what speakers will meet YOUR expectations for good sound.

Got some new speakers last week. What does Sup Forums think about them?

I see a lot of jerking off, I don't see any frequency ranges or specs.

I applaud them for ripping off new money morons.