FreeBSD

Without any memes, can someone explain why this exists? What's the point when Linux exists?

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Diversity is strength. If Linux kernel goes full retard or the Linux ecosystem gets syndromeD to death, there's something else. FreeBSD or OpenBSD or whatever will still be around, a clean slate just like the mammals were lurking underfoot while the dinosaurs were thumping around.

So it's just a plan B?

>Diversity is strength.

*BSDs offer better security and better performance when it comes to networking.

No, it is what it is. I remember people thinking the same thing about Linux, what's the point when Free/Net/OpenBSD exist along with BSDi, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Ultrix, Unicos, DC/OSx, Tru64 etc. I worked on all those proprietary systems in the past and they're all dead now, a world without Unix is a world gone fully syndromeD.

Fucking leftists infesting Sup Forums.

I agree. Keep the filthy communist scum out of my Sup Forums.

Hey can you tell a bit about how some of those unixes (unices?) are similar/different to Loonix or BSD?

Without any memes, can someone explain why Fedora exists? What's the point when Debian exists?

*citation needed*

leftist freetard was here before alt-righted Sup Forums and Sup Forums comes

native ZFS?

Some people prefer Unix over GNU.

Actually, Sup Forums was pretty apolitical before you commie niggers and alt-right faggots infested this board. Threads pertaining to politics were pretty rare and most of the shitposts were basically Sup Forums-related posts and desktop threads

More like plan BSD

Because Linux kernel is too bloated.

Well, I think that FreeBSD is also bloated as fuck too, but it's still a better alternative to Linux when OpenBSD doesn't support your hardwares.

It has a better license.

BSD was around before the linux kernel and obviously it gained a following, it's code is better documented and it is seen as more 'Unix like' OS then Linux.

>it is seen as more 'Unix like' OS
It _is_ Unix.

>I'll share with you if you share back.
>I'll share with you but you don't have to share anything back even if you use my code in multi million projects.
BSD users are the biggest cucks, They suck more proprietary dick than MS or applel shills.

But keep bragging about how your code is used in the most locked down software in existence (Ios, ps4) while you get nothing back.

BSD license is useless, you might as well have no license or just write "do whatever"

It's perfect. Do what you want, just give me credit.

>I know, because I was here since 1998 xdd

There's a 'freedom from' and a 'freedom to'; GPL has the freedom from closing a source ; BSD, MIT, etc have it the other way around. One may argue which one is more important.
Free market speaks for itself, both FreeBSD and Linux are free, just look what is more popular.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums

He's not wrong though; Sup Forums's gone to shit over the last few years and is getting exponentially worse.

>correlation equals causation

Not a lot of people are going to go to settings-> about -> legal information -> open source licenses -> your file
just to look at who made the most important software for their iphone, but if that's alright with you...

This.

>but if that's alright with you
I of course don't expect everyone to see that I had a part in it, I simply expect to be credited.

What? No, you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Sup Forums was always political because the battle of free and proprietary software is inherently political. And it was mainly progressive (because "pirate politics" was mainly considered a strand of progressivism) before SJWs became a thing and turned the ratheist people from regular neckbeards to alt-right neckbeards. That's why I maintain that the alt-right can be considered somewhat left-wing. Not necessarily in what they believe, but definitely in the way they think and act. Something just needs to happen in the next five or so years that will turn these people back into anarchists and right-libertarians, otherwise what follows is going to be a lot worse than Brexit and Glompf getting elected.

I must agree with you on there t b h

>a lot worse than Brexit and Glompf getting elected
>implying either of those things are bad

You can still go back to your old RonPaul2012 self, user. I believe in you.

I never rooted for Ron Paul.

>underageb&

How?

If you want to commit to the BSD kernel you can just submit a pull request. You don't have to jump through corporate hoops like the linux kernel.

Literally everyone was rooting for Ron Paul in 2012

If that were the case he'd have won.

Everyone on Sup Forums, user

If that were the case I'd have been rooting for Ron Paul

CVE Vulnerabilities index.

Without any memes, can someone explain why this exists? What's the point when BSD 4.4 exists? The monolithic kernel is a downgrade, GNU sux and it's harmful and overly complex.

It's a lightweight, stable operating system distributed and developed as a complete system, which is great if you don't need a full-sized Linux distro with a ton of packages.

Free, open, or netBSD?

OpenBSD for a secure server
FreeBSD for a ZFS-based NAS
NetBSD for your toaster

OpenBSD

It is possible to recognize the strengths that exist in diversity without going full libtard and believing that "the more diversity, the better".

>Without any memes,
hahahahaha

>can someone explain why this exists?
sure - it came at the right time, acquired critical mass, and now it's the best kernel

>What's the point when BSD 4.4 exists?
4.4BSD was encumbered by AT&T license, and 4.4BSD Lite could not even boot - it was something like a frozen pizza you can buy at a store.

>The monolithic kernel is a downgrade,
4.4BSD had a monolithic kernel. In fact, every UNIX ran on a monolithic kernel apart from that one experimental BSD with Mach kernel, and that one was pretty shit.

>GNU sux and it's harmful and overly complex.
was this a freudian slip? because you hit the nail on its head

>doesn't use a BSD kernel
>BSD
no

the old unices arent monolithic (yet arent microkernel either). they're not remotely as bloated as Linux

Stop talking about things you don't understand.
Micro vs Monolithic is not about how big or bloated the kernel is, but what parts run in kernel mode.
And in any case, around 80-90% of Linux is drivers, most of which you can ignore when compiling it. That is, if you weren't a complete brainlet.
It still doesn't get remotely close to the 9k lines of UNIX 6th ed. kernel, but that's also because it does a lot more.

Do whatever doesn't mean shit in legal world.

The kernel drivers are almost all loadable modules as well. That is to say they're not run in memory when they're not needed. They get loaded or unloaded as necessary. You can technically remove them if you do not need them but the space savings you'd get would be very minor.

To feed RHEL.

good zfs supporr

Why netbsd?

NetBSD's purpose is to be easily portable. You can run it on anything, hence the absurd toaster example. It's sort of like the phrase

stop sperging for a moment and think, please, if there was only windows. Or only BSD. Or, god forbid, only Mac. Only 1 linux distro. Fuck off mongoloid

Got it. Thought you referred to old PCs.

>1 linux distro
Would be great. People are wasting too much time on unusable memeware

nah man, different people have different needs and preferences, and then again there are the hobbists, etc

Not enough color, needs more brown.

Remind me again why FreeBSD has such terrible video drivers despite being a major game console OS.

This.

Thats why there is not a single linux distro as usable as windows or macos. Terrible software choice for anything besides "ricing my OS", INCREDIBLY inconsistent GUI, to get a usb dongle you need to nag on forums and delve into manuals for days, etc.

t. Someone who has never used GNU/Linux.
By the way, BSDs are even easier to use.

BSD is utter shit. If GNU plus Linux were to disappear overnight, I guess it would have to be windows. [shudder]

GPL is literally a contract for cooperative game. While it may sounds shit for some this was the key success for linux to get money and attention from large corporations as they can't merchandise their code without "contribution" (at least upload the unchanged kernel with the blob). Also MPLv2 is can be used for those who can't read more than 2 lines of text and still wants to use a fair copyleft license.

i still wonder why mostly white people doesn't notice the obvious bullshit that "diversity" is actually, they are so fucking brainwashed

because the PS4 drivers are optimized for the PS4?

don't act like sony never gave anything back, hell, they probably don't even have the permission of whatever company writes the drivers.

They don't need help. Even most Swedish people is racist as fuck.

I'm not a fan of subversion.
Also the PS4 kernel is a retarded rump kernel which is barely useful for the freebsd developers. Sony don't really trust bsd code, so they want minimise the attack surface while using the necessary part for whatever reason.

Yeah okay buddy

Berkley is full of ugly cuckolds.
>t. UCB class of 2012

what's the point of water when beer exists!?

It's more like a contract to help lawyers have jobs.

freeBSD on the front page

Cause secret club now get out of here Linux-er

Sup Forums wasn't political, actually no one was political, until the left invaded every "space".

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

FreeBSD security is a joke. Avoid at all costs.

>linux
you mean the gnu operating system with linux kernel?

>thinks “most popular” is synonymous with “best”

They will have a job anyway.

Yeah, sorry Freeman.

How the fuck do you set up packages in openbsd? I read about the installurl file and set my url to the packages list but get "no directory" when I type in pkg commands. Fuck installing this OS was a mistake theres shit for documentation and no real help. Might as well use FreeBSD.

If you install OpenBSD from a mirror instead of local media it'll automagically add it as your installurl.
>theres shit for documentation
It's so fucking simple. man installurl

Probably FreeBSD is more popular, thinks about Mac, iOS, PS3, PS4, routers and a lot of server.

>one experimental BSD with Mach kernel, and that one was pretty shit.
DragonFlyBSD doesn't use Mach.

I liked using FreeBSD back in the day mainly because my desktop background

> Probably FreeBSD is more popular
So, the only case is when evil corporashuns don't want to develop everything from the scratch, so they take whatever is ready. They'd take Linux if they could.
> routers and a lot of servers
PfSense constitutes a miniscule amount of router OSes. Free/OpenBSD lag behind Linux, there are no widely known hypervisors built on BSD, there's no Docker, coreutils lack GNU options, some software works through a Linux emulation. At this point, if somebody wants POSIX compliance and *nix, there's no point in not choosing Linux.