Touch Typing

I'm trying to re-train myself how to touch type as apparently I'm not using the right fingers, but it's amazingly hard, like learning to type again from scratch. Anybody done the same and used a program or something that makes it easier?

Also can anyone match my speed of 94WPM? This is impressive for normies I guess. typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/

Other urls found in this thread:

typingstudy.com
typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/
greatis.com/utilities/justtype/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't bother trying to learn the "correct method" to type, I only use my right index finger for almost every character except return/backspace (ring) and punctuation (ring/pinky)

Bacon Negress Teach You Typing is actually bretty good.

On the right hand side of the keyboard I mean, I use a combination of my index/middle/ring for the left hand side

That test is very inconsistent for me for some reason. When writing passages, especially long ones, I usually do 100-110 wpm but in this one I can't fucking break 90 wpm. I got a n g e r y and tried few more times but it went even worse and my hand hurts now. Fuck

Tried a few more times now. The best I can do is 89. It's so strange considering I do upwards of 100 wpm without breaking a sweat in typeracer.com

relax, it's just because the words on the first website are not logic sentences, it's much harder to type if you don't "know" what's coming next

this website is pretty useful
typingstudy.com

Up until a few months ago I was using two fingers to type. I used typingclub.com, it's a bit childish but it only took me a week or two to relearn how to type. I'm up to 70WPM now on typeracer which isn't great, but considering I haven't been practicing lately it's not too shabby. I find that QWERTY is hilariously inefficient when typing words that only use the index fingers.

>send my son to school
>he comes home with rainbow painted fingernails
>naturally I beat the shit out of him with the biggest belt I can find
>when he's done crying and washing the gay off his fingers he explains the keyboarding class teacher made all the kids do it just like in OP's pic

what should I do? I know complaining to the school isn't going to do anything and I really don't have the time to homeschool him.

what words only use u and y?

buy but those are the only two I can think of, neither of which are lengthy.

I wouldn't bother, typing is on the way out anyway.

beat O w O

switch keyboard layout so looking at the keys stops being helpful.

I'm basically the same. only use thumb, index, middle, and pinky on each hand and type 125 to 140 depending on the day

I was thinking to learn programming Dvorak.
Is it good given that I use Vim and Emacs?

guess who's getting carpal tunnel for christmas

I'm a touch typist by the way, ~83 wpm on the test in OP, kinda faster when chatting in IRC/telegram/etc.
It's not about the speed, it's about the comfort of your fingers on the keyboard. QWERTY actually forces your fingers to move unnaturally, hence why one has to "learn" to touch type like those dudes above whom I've replied to.

You use your index fingers for RFV TGB YHN and UJM

I'm typing all this shit from an ergodox with colemak, feels good mang

Stop being a repressed faggot

being a repressed homosexual must be tough

touch typing is a good way to get RSI and whatnot. the system hasn't been invented to be gentle to your body. it has been invented so typists (young women) can dash out a shitload of text on their typewriters. back then those women would do the job only a few years and then become stay at home wifes.

if you want to touch type do yourself (and your hands) a huge favor and get at least a matrix layout keyboard without staggered rows. better something like ergodox or maltron. only with those touch typing isn't damaging to your health.

Yeah ktouch is amazing

I've also been using typingclub (it was the first thing that came up in google) Within one week I went from 10wpm to 60wpm purely touch typing.

I can get around 70wpm using just my index and middle fingers so I'm almost back up to speed. Hopefully now I can break into the 90-100 range soon. It literally just takes hours of practice to train your muscle memory, that's it. There are no other shortcuts

>if you don't want your son to be gay that must mean you're gay LOL! xD

epic meme, samefag

Don't worry, user, it's OK to be gay :^)

Fuck you all.

unironically get 30wpm at this test using every thingers

I've been doing this for like a month (started at 80-85 with just two fingers on my right hand, and I'm still at 70-75 with the correct method, but it is a bit more comfortable and I make less mistakes. Also, use the correct shift key for the letter you're typing. (opposite hand than the one you're hitting the letter with)

this but only half

>h-he has rainbow painted fingernails!!
>must be G A Y
spoken like a true faggot

>Anybody done the same and used a program or something that makes it easier?

Yeah, I used keybr and learned in about a month with a lot of practice. It starts with just lowercase homerow and slowly adds in more letters when you've reached some level of proficiency. Once you've got all the lowercase letters down, rather than enabling caps and symbols, pick some news articles and use the "custom text" feature.

I have this problem too I only use 6 fingers to type and it results in mistakes on light switches. I don't make many on heavy tactiles like clears but it would be far less strenious to be able to type just as well on say cherry silvers or gateron clears.
I've never had any success in relearning I always revert back to my current way of typing.

>typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/
is 70 wpm brainlet tier?
what speed does the average paper pusher normie type with?
anyone have any links to studies?

The average normy can't type at all. Walk into a community college computer class. I'm doing horrible today and making typos all over the place even while typing this message to you. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

if typer racer is any indication, most people can barely crack 30wpm

I don't think it's brainlet tier I just think the people don't use a computer anywhere near enough. I've used desktop nearly all day since I turned 13 which was 12 years ago. Most people don't even fucking have a computer anymore. If you use a computer all day for fun you'll learn to type just by virtue of being infront of the keyboard all day.
The first thing I did when I got my first computer in 2003 was join a yugioh forum and the cool kids on this forum had a chat room on AIM. You weren't respected if you couldn't spell worth a shit or took ten years to respond and they made fun of me because that was me. I learned to type over the next couple of months just by using the computer and I learned to spell by watching spell check fix my words.

Check out GNU typist if you want to learn/improve/test typing.

Was a self-taught typist up until a couple of years ago. Would have barely made it over 100 on this test back then.

Now I touch type, and it's slightly faster, but it mainly just feels a lot better. Feels more like every single key is right underneath my fingers, and I make way fewer mistakes when typing at normal speeds.

Should have probably learned colemak or dvorak or something though, kinda regret that now.

your post seems to imply that self taught means you look at the keyboard.

Aren't you supposed to have the index fingers on 5 and 8?

it's never too late to learn

Nvm. This is different for German and US keyboards.

I don't see how, but If so I didn't mean to imply that.

For example, before when i used fewer fingers on my right hand, my right index finger would sometimes get lost in sequences with lots of y's and u's, and I'd mix them up. Now when that finger chills at j, I don't get lost.

~70 here too
I type fast enough usually

which yugioh forum?
10 years ago I was active in every community in that game

"was a self taught typing until a couple of years ago"
"now I touch type"
If touch typing means typing by touch and not sight the implication is that self taught typing isnt touch typing
schoolofduel then overground

Enjoy getting RSI 5x faster

I’m trying to use my pinkies more as well. After years of not using it for a, I can feel the speed cap. I went from 70wpm to 50. Here’s hoping I can bring it up to something respectable.

This little free windows proggy is very helpful

greatis.com/utilities/justtype/

why would you paint your nails?

are you a grill?

I basically started from scratch slightly less than a year and a half ago, and decided to pick up a different layout while I was at it: Colemak.
I mainly used gtypist (GNU typist) for basic training, and as that went well, I moved on to some speed-typing sites and sometimes even typeracer. Took me about 3 weeks to get comfortable with it and up to 30WPM on average. Currently averaging 90 and typing is as comfy as ever

I learned to touch type when I was 19, because I hunt and pecked at 30 wpm my whole life. When I could first touch-type, I was typing at 13 wpm, and improved at a rate of about 1 wpm/day (25 mins of practice per day), so don't be surprised if it's hard at the beginning. I kinda plateaued at ~55 wpm, because I stopped caring about typing speed at that point. Btw these are real word typing tests with punctuation and uppercase letters, and not something like 10fastniggers.