Guys, I fell for the KDE is bloated and slow meme. Rescued HP Stream 11 with 2gb of ram from garbage...

Guys, I fell for the KDE is bloated and slow meme. Rescued HP Stream 11 with 2gb of ram from garbage. Wiped Windows 10 and installed GalliumOS. Shit was slow and half-assed. Installed Solus. Shit was unresponsive as frig and extremely limited in terms of software readily available. Used over 600mb of ram with nothing open. Installed Manjaro XFCE. Ugly screen tearing, things like the menus would show up as just a box and you could see shit pop in to populate them. Looked like hammered buttholes. Installed Manjaro KDE. Smooth and fast. Looks nice. Uses only around 400mb of ram with nothing open. Why use anything but KDE Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/waterfox-kde/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>why use anything but KDE
Beyond me really, we just gotta convince the GuhNOMEfags and get rid of GTK to solve all problems.

>kde
>not bloated
just use windows 10 LTSB

What GTK apps are must have and don't have a superior QT equivalent anyway?

I don't mind something like Firefox which looks alright in KDE anyway.

Truly the best DE.

Cinnamon is the best DE

I use it on my X220 and aside from the usual crash when shutting down it's nice. Definitely the only modern DE that takes itself seriously.

I don't like qt

Do you prefer your toolkit being controlled by fucktards allergic to features and crossplatform compatbility?

I've tried Cinnamon on a similar system and it was slow as balls. Why is KDE faster than Cinnamon. There's nothing going on in Cinnamon. Might as well use IceWM.

I forgot to say, my only issue with KDE is fingerprint recognition. Fingerprint-GUI does dick with SDDM

Isn't cinnamon based on gnome shell? Gnome manages to be slow and not functional at the same time.

Chromium (ungoogled, of course). It barely uses GTK for anything, yet still pulls in GTK+. Any qtwebkit/qtwebengine-based browser I've tried so far was shit. Sad situation.

This

GalliumOS runs like a dream on my Acer c720. KDE ran like shit.

It barely opens pages, too.

I think Gallium is geared more towards specific chromebooks. My HP Stream isn't a chromebook although it has specs similar to one. There was no module for the Stream's wireless for instance. Kernel was built to lean for this hardware. There were a couple other weird kernel related problems. Wasn't interested in compiling my own. I've tried other distros with KDE and none were faster than Manjaro that I've tried. I have no idea what they are doing. I suspect it may be the CPU scheduler they are using.

-Gnome for your "where is the appstore button" mom/grandma
-XFCE for slow PC
-KDE for productive setup

Budgie. GNOME but not shit.
Anyone agree?

>i keep installing a hobby or meme os distro, why they suck
mc kys you're shelves

There are niggers here who swear the base Arch install is bloated. Don't listen to Sup Forums about bloat.

Not switching to Qt untill there's an OSXArc port of it

gparted

KDE partition manager

>Plasma crashed
Oops.

Those fuckhuge spaces between icons trigger my autism more than anything.

>MADE partition manager
Can not even label an f2fs partition.

Mypaint, gimp, Firefox, inkscape, spacefm.

Firefox
LibreOffice
GIMP
There might be something else as well.

To be fair the problem here is not GTK theming which KDE handles without issues, it's integration with KDE features such as the infamous filepicker dialog and the global menu.

Similar story here, used Ubuntu 16.04 and it was OK, then when Canonical ditched Unity in favor of GNOME i said fuck it and tried it (3,24) and oh boy it's shit, no customization, you need 3rd party extensions that might break with a minor update and are often buggy af like dash to panel and window buttons, and it's a resource hog, 1.2GiB of RAM used at startup and the constant lag everywhere.
This, GTK support for the global menu would be great and also programs using native file picker, I believe Kid3-qt and Libreoffice are capable of this.

>mozilla didn't include the opensuse patches for the great big Quantumâ„¢ release
Shitposting without kdialog is hell.

>not using waterfox

And withouth compositing, how much ram does it use then?

so when the button doesn't exist why is that space still used?

>Mozilla is mentioned in any capacity
>Waterfox neckbeards crawl out of their basement.
Like fucking clockwork. Your precious """"fork"""" has this problem as well.

I was getting screen tearing on KDE and tried a few methods to fix it and it kept failing so I ended up with XFCE. It's simple and decent and it works. Tried LXQT, Enlightenment, both were ugly and much worse by default. KDE was really good when it worked for me, though. Back in OpenSUSE 13.2 it ran like a dream and then I updated to 42.3 and it became slow and glitchy.

yeah it does, but there's this aur.archlinux.org/packages/waterfox-kde/

This patch is also available for Firefox, in fact it was originally made for it, Waterfox is nothing special or innovative.

Someone convince me to try KDE. It does look nice in all the screenshots, but why should I use it over Mate?

I'll take things that didn't happen for 1000

Whatever you do, you should never under any circumstances use KMail. It will destroy your email inbox and spend hours doing it (called "indexing").

Bug reports are never welcome.

KDE Connect

Best DE coming through

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
Enlightenment
>Video/Music player
Enlightenment
>Image viewer
Enlightenment
>File Manager
Enlightenment
>Text Editor
Enlightenment
>Shell
Enlightenment
>Terminal
Enlightenment

Gnomeme Disk.
It is really easy manage my luks partitions with it.

I would love a qt alternative for this.

Cool Amiga bro.

>B-b-buht, my server OS with no server software is much less bloated than Arch!

It's weird, but I swear some distros do strange shit to their Gnome package. On Arch and Fedora, Gnome is pretty great.

gnome, not even once

There is alternative.

It is.

Void has less packages even if you use Base-System meta package.

gnome, always, gnome

Arch base install is 54 packages

+Dependencies.
It's 30 something more than void.

>hurr u got fix but I no want fix durf

I switched to KDE because of the unity bullshit
I even switched to fedora because I heard the KDE here is better and it is

I didn't think fingerprint recognition worked on Linux at all

>Uses only around 400mb of ram with nothing open.
>not bloated

Cause I use i3. Why are you NOT using i3?

this

Gnome 3 eats more than that

Because I don't have autism.

Because KDE is buggy as shit, full of hastily ported crap and ugly. I still use it on the company's machine because GNOME is retarded to the point of uselessness and I couldn't be arsed to port my riceshit again.
In other words, I'd rather come down with a bad case of flu rather than full blown AIDS.

I had some issues with kde4, so am running kde3 (trinity). Its quite good. Fast, and has lots of features. Not so buggy as kde4.

KDE is pretty obsolete even today.

Because I use Sway. It's time to let go of Xorg grandpa.

I love KDE but I also use a KVM to switch my main monitor between my chinkpad and my winblows gaymur machine. Half the time my panels would dissapear and I couldn't make a new one easily because I use I3Gaps as my WM inside of KDE. So I switched to XFCE, works a lot better.

But it is. Arch pulls in almost every dependency for every package and they don't split packages that can be separated out.

dude it's the only DE with Gnome that'll be Wayland-ready without waiting for the Mir wayland compositor.
And no Gnome isn't Wayland-ready, everyone using it is a beta-tester.

hurr X.org finally works let's break everything by switching to wayland

MAKE MOAR DISTROS
DUDE CONFIG LMAO

Should have called it Schway; missed opportunity.

>hurr X.org finally works let's break everything
its the exact opposite

then show me wayland.app
Or wayland support in windows 10

go ahead, I'll wait