FUTURE OF PHONES

Will mobile phones be replaced by ar glasses?
What technologies would you like/expect to see in future phones? what kind of foldable designs do you think are good?

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2017/10/26/16553250/microsoft-surface-courier-device-rumors
gizmodo.com/keyboards-that-rise-out-of-a-touchscreen-are-finally-he-1685246880
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

or will this be the next phone design likely instead of foldable?

i hate this design but i think it maybe has potential

memes, memes, and more memes.

I'd like to see phones with free drivers that can run mainline kernels, that do proper MAC randomization to defeat wi-fi tracking, and that come without spyware preinstalled. Preferably with nice features like removable batteries so that they don't become useless in 2-3 years.

Given that spying is at the core of both Apples and Google's business models I think you can forget any hope of a kernel without massive tracking built in.

Librem 5 maybe?

I'm cautiously optimistic, but we'll have to see if they can actually make the thing and get it released.

Well, they are running out of hardware features to remove from them, so it'll be interesting to see.

mfw

yeah thats why this talk of companies wanting to replace computers with tablets and phones is frightening because 1. i dont want to have to go through the app store to download anything 2. theres no privacy

Absolutely.

People want to be able to Facebook while they drive.

Smartphones are media consumption devices and that fact will set the trends that they follow. Apply this principle and everything makes sense.

idk samsung and apple are pretty convinced that these foldable phone/tablets are gonna the next big thing, i doubt they would put shit loads of money if they didnt think mobile phones will be around for a while

plus ar glasses dont have the same amount of functions as phones currently have due to limited controls, but maybe voice will replace the need for touch but i doubt people want to rely on voice control in public with loud noises and others listening

i forgot about eye movement controls

dont ar glasses (assuming they have equivalent/more capability of a smartphone) kind of defeat the purpose of having any other device?

forget the flexible crap. Material will fatigue and your phone will become trash in no time.
Could image a slightly bending design which snugs into your pocket a little better but thats all.

I see biggest potential in ai algorithms doing everything better. No need for high quality camera etc, the ai algo will make it look great.
What they are doing with sound processing on these bluetooth speakers is already impressive. No need for high quality speaker, the algo will make it sound great.
Software and algorithm quality will become the absolute core business and value of todays smartphone companies. The hardware quality will be the same over all brands because everything will be made in some super huge chink factory with robots only.

fuck you OP
I wanted the MS Courier so bad and now I have to remember I'll never have one.

Instead we got the surface

They're still working on it.
theverge.com/2017/10/26/16553250/microsoft-surface-courier-device-rumors

Maybe a back pack with a full computer hooked up to some glasses. Would love that.

thinkpad phone with mini classic keyboard kinda like a keyone or a passport but with 7 row keyboard would be pretty /comfy/

kek
but seriously what is wrong with people thinking this is going to happen its unusable even if possible

desu I hope so. I'd love a 7" tablet I can fold in my pocket with a nice small half-screen size with wide aspect ratio

I'm still waiting on the passport 2. Maybe they can sacrifice the 1:1 ratio for a 3:4 or a 2:3

no

bullshit

Don't know, don't care.
I'll be using my Motorola flip for the next 15 years.

I want a 5cm wide mobius strip display and no physical buttons

is it possible for a touchscreen to create tactile onscreen buttons on the fly?

Imagine you're on your phone's home screen and you could feel the shape of each app's launcher icon with your fingers and when you press down on one of them you could feel the icon collapse like a real mechanical button under the pressure of your fingertip. This is something I want.

>not a Klein bottle
Cmon son

they get thinnnerr

Most likely they just become a glass film so the break in just about any situation.

Foldable or bendable phones are too durable so it's unlikely to happen.

>double the screen
>don't double the battery size
>gets dogshit battery life when unfolded
lol

I miss buttons

too bad snowflake

Don't lie, you'd plug da'on's klershklaaaaak hole

im surprised no one here has brought up the phones in westword, they are like three display sided display phones. the size of a note 8.

gizmodo.com/keyboards-that-rise-out-of-a-touchscreen-are-finally-he-1685246880

in the next 15 years the big trend will be transparent phones, that's my guess. I imagine part of it will not be transparent and house all of the components unlike the picture I've posted which leaves them out to be seen.

>take phone outside
>nigga I cant see shit, going back to my iphone lel

>technology wont progress
>"lel"

k

Sure transparent phones (although i dont really see a use for it but its cool ig), a hologram projector would be cool, and the final frontier would be a brain implant.

No amount of "progress" would fix shit contrast that comes with transparency short of making display elements fully opaque, in which case what's really the point anymore?.

I think in the future phones won't be tied to a display. So you will just plug the computer into whatever interface / display you need.

nice good job grandad dont let those ebil corporations spy on you through your mobile telephone

That's why we need self driving cars. My life would be so much easier if I could eat breakfast or take care of my daily fap during the 50 minute drive to or from my workplace.

Can't we make vr glasses that can read your mind and respond to your thoughts?

Why the heck would anyone want to wear glasses all the time unless they need them for visual impairment correction? The glasses better have sun blocking and night vision.

The sex apps would be amazing.

Graphene batteries will fix that, kid. As batteries get better, phone companies just make them smaller, so they can fit more of other stuff in there.

Ok but when ?

Next step will be wearing our devices in some way like the google glasses or . The technology is obviously there but the design plays a bigger part as it not only needs to be functional but not look retarded in public as well. Like others mentioned, not a lot of people liked the google glasses based on its look nor its function. Companies just haven't found the right, I guess you could say, "hook" but its definitely there. I mean the sky is the limit, the next big thing could be either be a watch, arm wrist, coller/choker, lensless glasses, ect.

>not just two mobius strip phones glued together along their edges
cmon son

Samsung is still making prototypes. We should see them by 2019.

Just make them look like normal sun glasses. You ever played Ghost Recon? Deus Ex HR?

Phones are certainly thin enough to do just that right now.