Let's keep it honest

Who here still uses dial-up?
youtube.com/watch?v=iHW1ho8L7V8

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1512465468350.webm
youtu.be/uQqWHLZjOjA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I always wondered, could you hook up your computer to your phone via bluetooth and dial into dial up internet in areas with no mobile internet?

it was starting to get painful to browse the web on dialup in 2006 when i got a broadband connection
i can't imagine trying to browse common sites today on dialup, sites have gotten /way/ bigger since then

ITT: Europeans

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1512465468350.webm

bluetooth is probably a bad idea due to the strong lossy digital compression, but mobile internet used to literally be that, a cellphone used as a dialup modem for a laptop or desktop

Legacy cell phone voice service is probably a bad idea for the same reason. Older BT revisions have such heavy compression because it was made to carry such heavily compressed voice signals. Especially if you're in an area with poor reception.

I still use 2G. Is that close enough?

don't get me wrong, it was shit compared to landline dialup, but what other options where there? bring a satellite with you?
i've used it before, a friend of mine lived out of a caravan, and so this was his only option for internet access

sattelite dish*, obviously

U sir must b an Amuricunt and kno nuthing bout Urope

GPRS can get about 4.25x the speed of dial-up in best case scenario.

IMO being within an order of magnitude is close enough. Congratulations, you won the internet... but you'll spend decades downloading your prize.

I think the compression is worse today, not sure though. Flip phones acted as modems for 2G/3G internet, which could be better than 56k.

Best option for remote area is probably satellite, but that latency is obviously gonna suck.

I used to have a BT PAN and Dial-Up setup on my N900 over GSM. Worked great.

>Best option for remote area is probably satellite, but that latency is obviously gonna suck.
yea, but that's still a fixed and expensive option. it's something to consider if your home is far away from decent cell service, and your landline can't deliver dialup/adsl speeds good enough for what you need
cellphone dialup is what you'd use when you're moving around, all you need is a cellphone, a serial cable, and a laptop, and you could get on the internet just about anywhere
nothing special now, of course

I did that once, then a roach got into my USR modem, killed itself and fried a chip.
Look up CSD. 9600 bits per second, uses your voice minutes instead of mobile data. GSM-tier networks only!

Was using it to link an old 486 to the rest of my network, as I didn't have any extra ports on my router, or any long cables for 10baseT

>ITT: Europeans
Nice try burger.
I pay 10 bucks per month for a 120/120Mbps connection.
No contract.
No data caps.

I use it everyday at work to connect to older alarm systems still using RTC connections to transmit. Once connected, you have to DTMF your way in, and listen to the tones to get an answer.
More modern alarms are using GSM and GPRS, so I'm quite relieved when I come home with 400mbps.

Would it be possible to write an Android app that used unlimited calling for a dial-up connection?

Is dial-up still viable for Gopher and Usenet?

youtu.be/uQqWHLZjOjA

keeping mind;
- normal dialup has you 'call' your ISP, who handles the connection to the internet, though you could setup your own receiver on a landline or another cellphone
- you'll probably need to implement a softmodem, which probably won't be too light on cpu/battery
then sure, probably

Anyone who thinks Sup Forums isn't browsable under dial-up has never actually used it

Dial up fag here, this place loads fine. I norm shitpost tilI get ban, then walk outside and go fishing 4 ft away.

I don't even have access to a POTS phone line anymore, even if I wanted one due to NBNCo's Cease-Sale clause.

....and then hang up, dial in, and get a different endpoint address that isn't banned

GSM codecs only allow for 9600bps when using a phone for dialup since they cutoff anything outside of voice frequencies.

The modem is inside the phone, dipshit.
The bluetooth transfer is literary digital information and not analog. The GSM compression would be the bottleneck instead of the Bluetooth one even when you used an external modem over bluetooth audio.

Alright what is this? an image of a happy merchant encrypted in it?

Not using dial-up, but my current internet is capped at 16kb/s

Why did it make this sound when you used dial-up? It seems like such a specific noise and it was the same one every time for, what seems to be, all over the world.

Why?

It's funny because Europeans have better internet speeds at lower prices than Americans.
It's digital data (1s and 0s) being transmitted as sound. The whistle sound you hear before the static is a sync tone to test the quality of the phone line. Then there's standardized test tones that get sent back and forth before actual data transmission takes place.

Oh really? That's super neat. If you're not full of shit, I actually learned something on Sup Forums today. Thank you user.

If you're still curious here's the full thing.

That's really cool. Thanks again!

It was only August that I got fiber optic. Going from 56K to 56M was pretty nice. I still push to optimize images and spout unrelenting hate against GIF though. Old habits die hard.

Isn't that basically EDGE? Just tether your phone connection.

what's the use of a 1000x faster pipe is everything is made 1000x bigger?

Wait, what. Why were you using dial up in 2017?

I did once. Thumbnails take a while to load, and uploading anything is near impossible since captcha times out.

100x better quality at the same load times?

Because the options were dial up, 2g phone with an inconsistent signal, satellite that the neighbors say works on good days and requires a 2 year contract, or some glorified wifi that made the satellite look reliable. You don't even know how bad it can be to live out in the middle of nowhere user. During the summer I'd take my phone, a list of things to download, and bike & lawnchair about 4 miles to a hill where I knew I could get 3G. The neighborhood doesn't have to worry about that anymore though.

>Americans still don't have full domestic LTE coverage

Banks. I sold my dial-up modem to one.