Sup Forumsternet

Net neutrality is kill edition.

Talk about:
>finding friends to link with
>linking meshes over VPN
>decentralisation/distribution of all layers of protocol, from network itself to end-user applications

DO NOT talk about:
>logos or names (use the Git issues for that)
>meme shit like lasers, HAM, or satellites. We already said that shit won't work right now
>monetisation. If we need money we can ask friends or stop being poor. We don't need crowdsourcing really

Links:
>Map (mark yourself): zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145
>IRC (join): irc.jollo.org SSL port 9999, channel #gternet
>Wiki (read and edit it): mesh.gentoo.today
>Git (sign up and contribute): git.jollo.org/gternet
>Last thread:

What is Sup Forumsternet?
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Meta:About
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose

Protocol: BATMAN-adv for now using IPv6

Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this

Other urls found in this thread:

mesh.gentoo.today
git.jollo.org/gternet
phys.org/news/2009-09-carrier-pigeon-faster-broadband-internet.html
torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wireless_community_networks_by_region
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Romania
pastebin.com/BSHTvYi6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Very close to getting something up. I just convinced someone close to me to get connected.

Once I finish the logo I will post here, just wait guys.
After that we just need to find a way to connect every user on the globe, I think if we make a gofundme page we can pay for a couple feet of fiber optics.
We can do this lads!

Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and savior, the meshnet.

Germans already did something like that and it actually works.

Fuck the fiber and just use high-powered lasers.

So, what now? Should I treat this as the apocalypse or some shit? Should I be trying to download all I can before "something" happens?
Is anything even going to happen?

How do I into mesh networking? I've been programming for years but I have babby-tier networking skills.

No it's not the end of the world. It's just the natural progression big bussiness. What you can do is veiw this as just another reason a mesh is not a bad idea

You should unironically download all anime and other weeb shit you can imagine while you can.
Also it shit really happens just accept you won't be able to do certain things without either blowing some money on the ISP itself or maybe some VPN which the said ISP won't throttle.

I'm speaking as a third party here since I'm not a murican but I do use a VPN for pirating shit because yurop and I don't want to deal with faggotry if someone ever changes some law around here.

Also I unironically hope gook moot moves Sup Forums to yurop just to be sure, I don't want to get rekt by proxy.

Add yourself to the map. Get people near you onboard and start learning. You can start by setting up nodes on old laptops. From there you can start looking into longer range solutions.

You should always be stockpiling.

Start with the wiki
>mesh.gentoo.today
Then if you have a couple rpi sleeping in your closet, try
>git.jollo.org/gternet
If not, you can try it on a old pc + debian (pixel is almost identical to the base that runs on rpi)
and experiment with that.

The wiki's down. Do you have any good networking tutorials for me to read in the meantime?

So I try to connect to the IRC via Hexchat, I click "New server" call it "Jollo" and in the settings where it says "newserver/6667" I put "irc.jollo.org/9999", but when I connect I automatically get disconected, what do

use tor to access the wiki

I told you I was bad at networking.

> If we need money we can ask friends or stop being poor. We don't need crowdsourcing really

If we don't need crowdsourcing then where do we get the money from our friends?

Would a satellite dish be useful for anything as far as long range connection of nodes?

It is time to switch to carrier pigeon.

phys.org/news/2009-09-carrier-pigeon-faster-broadband-internet.html

It is very possible. A parabolic reflector's gain increases with area and frequency.

You simply weren't strong enough.
t.MasterPajeet

I want to get into this but I can't even connect the the wiki

Wiki is working fine for me user, I could regurgitate some info for you if you want

I just started looking into it because I have one just sitting in my garage. And I saw a huge like 10-12 foot one pop up on Craigslist for free.

As long as you have another one at the other end.

simplewifi.com

aw fugg, then download torbrowser first:
>torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
install it and run it, then go to
> vipq5vnfvlxb3x32.onion

enable self signed certificates, then connect like
/server irc.jollo.org +9999
in the main window (the + forces to use ssl)

Reminder:
Without standards it won't work.

I got it, don't worry. Didn't know I needed to use Tor, that's all. Thank you for trying to help

Savage

Burgers BTFO

>REEEEE cup

what did he mean by this ?

Does anyone know how this will effect VPNs?

Will ISPs just block VPNs, or possibly simply charge more for traffic that they know is going through a vpn/encrypted?

can this be the Wired that the internet was supposed to be?

I could see them coming for VPN and encryption after this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wireless_community_networks_by_region

why not take part on one of these instead?

There's no one nearby to mesh with.

not all countries have reliable community networks.

so this is what if feels like to be a mesh virgin.

>no more americans
>no more retarded Sup Forumsshit spam
>americans will have to PAY to shitpost
Based

if you want to go full privacy with the onion links then why not just use tox instead of irc?

Burgers tears

>Also I unironically hope gook moot moves Sup Forums to yurop just to be sure
That doesn't even make sense, Europe has huge speech restrictions, Sup Forums would be shut down

I waited too long to fix this.

Put it in romania, poland or czech republic and you're good to go.
For real.

I dont know if Romania would be the best option. there are certain laws that might not fit with how Sup Forums works (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Romania )
But while they do censor stuff, law enforcement is way too slow and the internet is fast and cheap.

we are using BATMAN protocol and 2.4Ghz for area connections and whatever the distance warrants for long distance point to point.

if there is on in your area go for it. we are not trying to make a exclusive muh sekret club net, we are just trying to promote and develop mesh nets in general.

I got a bro from romania and even if they got any sort of censorship law none of that shit is enforced.
Guy pirates ridiculous amounts of shit without a VPN on public trackers.
Never got even an email much less anything else.
The only thing I think he never touche was CP but you can bet everything else he probably has downloaded at least once.

Romania would be some top tier place but anywhere else in the balkans is fine too if for some reason any of the countries I mentioned are too close to tier 1 europe and become a problem.

the antenna on her head makes it silly may be dumb, the character by itself it's cute and good, but this antenna blinking is bugging me

It's a top tier place but for piratery only. Living conditions and wage are horrible. But if you wanna pursue any illegals, Romania is the place to go

This better? If not the original still exists.

Wait no that one's fucked. Here is the proper one.

I want to download everything off of this website:
allitebooks
but my knowledge about the web is very little and I'm a noob programmer.
How do I do it?
btw
>site is aids without Ublock and Noscript or Umatrix

What's a good price on a VPN? I know cheaper isn't always better, but what's considered fair?

OP-chan, is there any way to set up a node on windows?

VPN IS A HUMAN RIGHT
>VPN NEUTRALITY NOW

install gentoo

>Romania

I like it

So do we have a logo yet?

I rather move then deal with running my connection to sweden and back to america just to get shit speed besides you faggots are all overacting

Hey can someone remove my pin? I plotted one down before reading and I'm not gonna be able to contribute, it's "Desu4u" in missouri

>talking to any one of you fucking idiots

>Another SAVE THE INTERNET project that will die in two weeks because everybody realizes nothing will happen

who are you quoting?

Who are you asking?

Whomever posted these^

Those are some nice books, I wrote this crawler to download them, it's not fancy but it works just fine
pastebin.com/BSHTvYi6

Tonight I am drinking LIBERAL TEARS!!

>If we need money we can ask friends or stop being poor
This is how I know it will never succeed. You need huge amounts of capital for this to ever take off and become successful. The only reason the original internet was even built was because of big DARPA grants to the universities, and the fact that they were able to piggyback off of existing phone infrastructure that had been developed over the last 75 years.

Legitimate uses for VPNs will be considered 'business use only'. You will be required to pay for a very expensive business package to be authorized to use your VPN at non-shit-tier speeds, or at all.

Put yourself on the map with a note that you will be willing to participate if others are around.

That way, if someone else near you sees the map, it's not simply blank and they won't just leave with the impression nobody else nearby cares.

There are a lot of people who use VPNs to check work email and shit like that. VPN access might be granted for some nominal fee, but there will be a very low data cap every month. You don't need more than 1gb/month to check email and download attachments.

Anyone in Vancouver?

TEARS FOR THE TEAR GOD
>SALT FOR THE SALT THRONE

Why would a leaf even need this shit anyways?
This thread is for amerimutts and for people to laugh at desperate amerimutts being locked out of the internet soon™

I'm pretty sure the cuck in chief will give this up as one of the "tradeoffs" in NAFTA, I'm not expecting it to last long here either.

how can I #mesh

like this

Even Congress recognizes how unpopular this decision is and appears primed to overrule the FCC roll back of net neutrality regulations, it might not be until after their "Christmas break" if at all but they at least appear to be on the American People's™ side on this one.

i rather pay small amount accessing only youtube

And when they say you've used enough YouTube? Are you going to keep paying regardless of how they structure their fees?

At this point I don't really know what to expect. It feels like the american government has gone completely mad at this point.

Sorry goy, Google aren't giving us enough money so you have to cover the cost.

I could see ISPs blocking VPN's and Torrent traffic.

That makes a lot of sense. I can see that happening- expensive business packages for a higher transfer cap, plus a cheap package with a low cap for email checking and shit.

Fulfills the goal of killing piracy over opaque VPNs but without fucking business VPN users.

Agreed. I feel like a fucking prepper getting ready for the next decision. We signed on for this so this is the consequence of our action and the "best timeline™" after all.

Imagine being in Canada with trump threatening to cut off trade and tank the economy or something.

>I'm going to go after mexico, it's being unfair
>every single one of his demands has been against Canada
>"Well if he kills the Canadian economy I'll just go to the US for grad school"
>starts taxing tuition wavers so I won't be able to afford it
What's going to happen next, war with sweden?

How would HAM in the ISM bands NOT be on the table? It would have many uses in bridging large barriers like inlets and rivers easily, I'm not talking high power broadcasting over an entire city I'm talking about a highly directional parabolic antenna for a data link connecting two districts mesh networks together.

Or connecting two high rises together so the mesh doesn't die downtown where cables won't work.

Discounting HAM data links right now would be a huge missed opportunity.

It'd be a pretty quick war, admittedly. We chose this, sorry leafs.

My backup plan was always to marry one of my friends and move to america, but... america might not be a place I would want to live in in a few more years like this.

What do you want to study if you do decide to come immigrate?

Ideally experimental physics but there are No Jobs(TM) in that. Probably something to do with AI, because nobody seems to be hiring here in that without a PhD.

Well time for Comcast and AT and T to force more retarded Trumptard bots down my throat and tell me to worship the god emperor per Sup Forums

That's what I'm doing, it appears to be the most pragmatic way forward given the rate of technological advancement. After I finish my community college degree(s) I'm going to go to a university like University of Denver, Colorado Tech, or maybe Cal-Tech depending on my GPA for software engineering with a focus on AI, natural learning algorithms (visual processing, language, reading) and develop a type of neural network modeled off of a young child to try and recreate a young human to see what it does. I'm going to need several Ph D level degrees/certifications for that, though.

I think we have a real opportunity to create more than just an alternative to the internet but it's going to take some serious heavyweight software engineering.

Imagine a system that is decentralized and allows users to securely share or even sell resources to other users.

Imagine having a small application that safely gave others access to your cpu time, gpu time, ram, and hard drive space.

I'm talking about an operating system that can either run as a user space application or on the bare metal.

Imagine you have a device (smartphone, laptop, desktop, it doesn't matter) and you don't foresee ever filling up your 2 terabyte hard drive. You always have about 200 GB of space free. You normally have impressive uptime because your device is almost never turned off.

What if you could create an encrypted partition so that others can store data on your machine but not gain access to the rest of the disk?

Now imagine a network just like this with millions of users. Web sites are not stored in a static location. They are like torrents with seeders and leechers. And almost all information is stored in this manner across multiple machines.

You end up with a secure grid computing system but it does more than BOINC. You can have everything the internet does and more.

If you were to implement a social network it need not run on one company's infrastructure. Instead it can run on the machines of the users.

The crux of the matter is to be able to "scatter" data and resources alike and then "gather" them when needed.

You could create video games with massive open world maps and data storage becomes a non-issue because the users can store portions of the map a-la bittorrent. GPUs won't be an issue because you can pay to have the rendering done in the cloud while your machine is just a glorified monitor.

The applications are limitless. The starting point is NetBSDs RUMP kernel and its Linux driver compatibility layer.

Lets talk

I'm interested. Which languages would you employ to make this potentiality real? Obviously something like C++ for the base OS or Java for a mobile platform, but what do you think would be best for maximum adoption?

>You could create video games with massive open world maps
Truly amazing

I guess he's insinuating larger than WoW, Skyrim, Botw, or somthing like that with really big maps. The games could be set to a dedicated machine that does a base render depending on the level of hardware present on the host machine and use it as a cloud processor to make rendering far faster. The difference being is that there would be multiple machines running the same render making these computer work together as a dedicated server allowing the user much greater access to game resources and allow much greater graphics fidelity and a better overall experience.

yeah but the problem with this concept is that it would take incredibly long amounts of time to create a world that is so big that actually profits off of the space given to it. Games with worlds the size of WoW and Skyrim already take a long time to develop.