I guess this means that we no longer have freedom on the Internet...

I guess this means that we no longer have freedom on the Internet. How much more should I expect to pay a month to continue on accessing Sup Forums? You damn well know that this website would be one of the few that ISPs would decrease the traffic toward.

In case you weren't keeping up. The FCC has just repealed net neutrality. It's over. The fight may still continue for some, but after a long time trying to prevent it's repeal. The inevitable has occurred.

Congress still has to pass their vote so there is still some hope that this remains intact, but our only hope would be to hope that the internet service providers have a sense of ethics and know that charging extra for websites a part of some packages that is reminiscent of cable packages isn't what their consumers desire.

I guess we should all prepare ourselves to pay more just to be on Sup Forums. I wonder if you could pay them in bitcoins. Then that would mean /biz/ is all set and ready to go.

Losing net neutrality is a big deal, but its impact is likely to be far less noticeable than people think, and it's MORE likely to affect mobile communications than standard home web packages.

1. Shit was already tried before NN rules were "set in stone" before. Data-caps, throttling, ect ect. They didn't work because the users fought them at every turn, and will again, through both legal and financial means.

2. This is why unlimited data was forced to make a comeback for mobile, because the market essentially demanded it, and it will continue to do so.

Your voice and dollar votes have far more of an impact than you realize. Yes, companies try shady shit, but big revolts consumer revolts kill stock markets even when they are a mere fraction of the buyer/user base.

That, and give it another Administration change and the rules will probably be flipped back, not to mention new tech for dodging the rules ALWAYS gets developed.

It will be fought on three fronts, the personal, the political (the least reliable of the 3), and the market.

It means that you should use the fucking catalog and stop opening new threads for this bullcrap. just go post in one of them

How are people are suppose to speak with their wallets when the only choice they would have if they were that committed to doing so is settle for the one cable provider they have in their town or go without internet service. That is something that most people nowadays cannot go without and even for those committed enough to swear off of the internet it would still most likely be a smaller percentage that wouldn't affect anything.

We're at the mercy of our government and corporations. We're their nigger slaves.

You cared enough about the subject to post in this thread advertising the other one. So clearly this issue isn't stupid bullcrap after all.

[ ARE YOU ENJOYING THIS LIMITED FREE PREVIEW OF Sup Forums.org? CONTACT YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER AND UPGRADE TO FULL ACCESS OF THIS PREMIUM SOCIAL WEB SITE TODAY! ]

>How are people are suppose to speak with their wallets when the only choice they would have if they were that committed to doing so is settle for the one cable provider they have in their town or go without internet service.
We've always had more than one choice. The problem is the alternatives to traditional home service. If you don't want to give that ISP your money, you're either paying an insane amount for a mobile data plan close to what you have at home or you're switching over to a high-ping satellite ISP that cuts out when a nasty storm rolls in.

I would have no problem getting rid of internet service. satellite internet also exists.

The issue isn't stupid, the discussion is. Stop making 14 threads to discuss the exact same shit

So basically you're saying that consumers don't have a choice?

Yet you still posted.

To tell you to stop making new threads and just go discuss it in the threads that are up already. Stop pretending you're retarded.

For internet service in general, we do have more than one choice. What we don't all have is more than one to choose from in each category. For example, I have 2 traditional ISPs, 3 mobile, but only one satellite that provide service in my area.

>to hope that the internet service providers have a sense of ethics
Except for the fact that they function as leashes would on the cattle that we are. Welcome to Capitalism.
They have seen people elect a Government for really dumb reasons, so they see they can push further with little resistance.

Is this the reason why it feels like Capitalism is set for failure in the future much the same way that Communism failed during the nineties?

The illusion of choice is not choice itself.

>We
You mean you, us non third worlders are still enjoying out comfy, uncensored internet.

This post proves that you are more than retarded. You are aware that net neutrality only got repealed in the United States, right? This wouldn't even effect those in the third world. This only effects you. If this was an attempt to troll then it only made you look retarded. Enjoy your high premiums, because like all Americans do, you would begin to bitch about the insane prices for Sup Forums like everyone else here would. In short, kill yourself.

Not for long, net neutrality got repealed. :'-)

That means for the first time in history the U.K. now has the better Internet than the U.S.

TEARS FOR THE TEAR GOD
>SALT FOR THE SALT THRONE

Enjoy your micro-transactions. :'-)

you're being a retarded fearmonger about things you dont understand

He seems more informed about things than Sup Forums and /r/the_donald.

Did you use Sup Forums before 2015 you fucking mouth breather? That's supposed to be a rhetorical question but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was "no".

This is the literally nothing to end all nothings, if anybody is going to get shafted by ISPs it's going to be companies like Facebook and Netflix, who are going to be expected to pay for using up more bandwidth than other websites.

>it's going to be companies like Facebook and Netflix, who are going to be expected to pay for using up more bandwidth than other websites.
Which means it will affect their consumers, you moron.

See if I give a fuck is Facebook or Netflix starts charging for their services.

You will once Sup Forums has to purchase more ads and keeps up to ensure your ad blockers no longer work.

How about you leave your BTC address and I give you 8000 dollars if that happens. Might buy you a month of Sup Forums use in our coming neo-corporate cyberpunk dystopian regime that we've all been doomed to inevitably live under :^)

>implying either of those are a high bar

I've yet to see a solid argument that details the benefits of losing net neutrality. Most of the people applauding the decision have an "us vs them" mentality. The claim is always that the people have heard nothing but lies from the left. So what is the truth? A genuine question here for all the supporters. No memes, no shit posting, no pointing fingers. What does the loss of NN bring forth to the table? How will it benefit you? How will it benefit the greater whole?

I'm just puzzled here.

As far as I understand it, they think Comcast will for whatever reason end up throttling massive websites Google, which they hate because they didn't make a google doodle for Christmas a few years ago. Or maybe they're just aware that the biggest enemies of massive ISPs are leftist websites, which will obviously be the first ones to get censored. Oh and also a bunch of famous liberals said they support net neutrality, which is why they've decided to let corporate monopolies fuck them in the ass; for that ebin libtard trole.

It would allow companies to offer their consumers a faster tunnel to online content.

>they think Comcast will for whatever reason end up throttling massive websites Google
That actually sounds very fitting of Comcast and other cable providers. Although Spectrum would probably lie about doing it since I suspect that they have been doing this for years.

Like a series of tubes?

Then you are a minority. Today, most people require internet access for employment or to not be complete social outcasts among their family and friends.

Satellite internet, expensive/throttled mobile internet, and dial-up internet are not comparable alternatives to broadband internet- they are entirely different classes of product. This is like saying that a viable competitor to a tractor manufacturer like John Deere is Hyundai because they make shitty hybrid cars- but they both have wheels, right?

reading comprehension issues detected. he was equating america to a third-world country, arguably with some accuracy, and you totally missed the point.

This wasn't a problem before 2015 because nobody had yet begun a large-enough scale attempt to do traffic shaping for the purposes of trying to eliminate competition for their media conglomerate owners. Netflix taking off and unprecedented cord-cutting put these ISPs and their traditional media roots into a panic, so Verizon threw the first punch at that time. We briefly ended up with an attempt to prevent this kind of behavior, before ISPs just lined the pockets of the regulators in charge of deciding it until they got their way. Here we are.

Out of the goodness of their hearts, right? The ISPs really wanted to give us better stuff for free, but the darn evil government was saying that people don't deserve it, I suppose?

People ditching cable TV put these massive media cartels into a panic. Their response was to set their pet ISPs up to make-up for the money they're losing by gouging those who jumped ship to a better alternative, instead of competing.

Nice samefag.

>most people require internet access for employment
Public libraries offer free Internet so they could always just go there for job applications.

My roommate is required to check his work's online shift scheduling software at least once every 24 hours. I am on-call via email, non-optionally. Neither of us are provided internet access or devices by our work, since there is an expectation you will have it at home.

These just are two anecdotes. There are many many more instances of this expectation of having home internet.