AIMless

No AIM thread? How will you be spending AIM's last day?

>inb4 "People still use AIM??"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=osL3iQbMgZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I grew up with ICQ desu

Continuing to ignore it like everyone that isn't autistic has been doing for the last 10 years.

I think I only tried to use that once. I was an AIM and YIM person. These days I'm using an older version of Trillian. Are all the good chat programs dying off? I hate social media.

Crazy that it's managed to hang on for this long, desu.
I have fond memories of chatting up the bitches via Pidgin back in the day. Then I went through my 1337 h4x0r phase and started hanging around imageboards and IRC, swearing off the bitches altogether.

Hopefully it turns out like MSN and doesn't actually die right away. MSN worked fine for a few years after they supposedly killed it.

Still using it (with pidgin) since holy shit people can't make good IM clients. Everything else has problems with some shit, usually in the form of bad offline messaging. I'll probably be forced to use discord unfortunately.

MSN was shit. But I'd still rather use that than most chat programs these days.

AIM is being perma-kill as far as I know. Completely shut down.

I'll be logged in. I really enjoyed AIM.

It had a lot of things back then that the current messaging system doesn't have solved. We had IMs, offline message, file transfers, voice calls, video calls, group chats. It worked on whatever device you were signed in on and wasn't tied to one device or a phone number. You were reachable wherever.

Unfortunately, it also existed at a time where cell phones were gaining popularity and everyone wanted to text. Cell phones created a gap where you could not run the messenger on the phone but still wanted to be connected, so SMS was the standard. By the time phones were good enough to have an AIM app, we were already busy building all of AIMs features into the phone infrastructure. There was that critical gap where we forgot about AIM. Now Google, Facebook, Apple and the like are rebuilding this in a fractured, incompatible way.

I can't even login, and the password reset doesn't work. RIP

i thought this happened like a year or two ago.

if i can remember my pw i'll probably try logging in for a bit, going to see the last jedi in 3 hours.

now that i've tried, is it already dead? says aim service can't be reached.

Luke dies from some gay holograph thing

even though i've stayed away from Sup Forums the last couple of days, i only did it because i'm trying to fool myself into believing it will be good. i was already expecting luke to die anyway, i'll see if you weren't kidding, but i am abandoning this thread now

Tonight at midnight I take a shot of vodka to wish a dear friend farewell.
I hadn't used it for quite some time, and roughly 6 months ago picked it up again to converse with a few friends that have been using it this whole time. Hating social media and being bad at checking non-vital emails; instant messaging was the best way for me to have plain-text conversations. After getting the news I've switched to discord, but use it the same as I have used AIM.

reminder that chinks still have fully functioning MSN Messenger. its not fucking fair bros.

aim was just the equivalent of a pedophile social network and hunting ground combined for people too stupid to use usenet or freenet.

aim was for preteens and teens in the early 2000's you fucking moron

oh my you poor ignorant and hopefully innocent child.

>pedophile

I'm having the same issue unfortunately. Maybe the default server is wrong? It doesn't respond to a ping

I still have my original AOL account from '97. Logged in and have contacts from eighth grade on there. This place was the shit back in the day.

I mean, it really was though. Had both the preteens and the pedos and everything inbetween.

I used to use 4.4 when that was like two years behind the current version, because you could edit some files to break the ad-serving module. This was in like 2003. I was adblocking before it was cool.

OP here, I really thought the thread would be dead from lack of interest by now, but I guess there are a few of us (and some trolls) still kicking around.

I've heard others reporting this problem. Maybe it only works for those of us who stayed active? Or at least we're active recently before the announcement?

You could have upgraded a little higher and just used DeadAIM.

That said, old AIM was the best and I was pissed when they discontinued it. The ability to save individual chats instead of one fuckhuge chatlog was a lot better, plus there were more options. Why do programmers seem hell-bent on making newer versions of things worse instead of better nowadays?

I used AIM on Trillian until it stopped working recently (using an older version) and I guess I know why now. I'll be using the AIM mobile app for most of the time it has left, but I may also sign in on my PC with my secret master account that had all my contacts, plus people I added but never bothered to chat with.

>Maybe it only works for those of us who stayed active?
Sad if that's the case, because I was hoping to retrieve my buddy list before they pull the plug.

>I'll be using the AIM mobile app for most of the time it has left
Was the mobile app any good? I've been using AIM since 2002 or so but never used the mobile app.

Staying online until they pull the plug. I met and then later dated a girl for five memorable years thanks to AIM and an old message board.

>..cell phones were gaining popularity and everyone wanted to text.

No. When cell phones were already so common that most high school kids had one, everyone was thinking "this is way better than a pager!". It was the Sidekick phone that kicked off texting in the US with it's ability to run AIM on it. AIM simplified texting on a computer for teens and non-career techies and then Danger pioneered texting on a phone.

In the end, AIM 20 years ago was doing for free what the large companies today are seeing as lucrative business opportunities being squandered.

im hosting an AIM party right now.. pm me, nicknacknine - join the chat

youtube.com/watch?v=osL3iQbMgZ4

> i use discord xDDDDE

Sorry, if I'd have thought there was any interest, I would have posted here when the announcement first came out. I just always felt out of place on Sup Forums and don't come here very often.

I'd say it could have been good, except it had issues staying connected with the notification in the top corner not always showing. You couldn't save chatlogs either, or even copy more than one line of text at a time, so I always had my friend save the logs.

I couldn't remember the password to my side account, or I'd consider it.

Aim deleted my #aim.com email 8 years ago wkthout warning. Its the email to my favebook. I hate them for that

im logged on to 3 of my oldest accounts

one of them has 197 friends because i imported buddy list from several of my irl friends in middle school

not a single one online

but theres a couple people with like, 47 days idle, and logged in via moblie. lol

Sad!

Coming up on Sup Forums: Sup Forumslets complaining their aimbots don't work anymore

They killed it at X:25 that was stupid.

RIP AIM.

youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

"Server closed the connection"

*Bang*

See you, online cowboy

Rest in ripper

good thing we still have MSN

Damn, I wanted to be on when it died so I could see what happened. Stepped away for a shower and came back and it was RIP. Just said "no internet connection, try again" and I did and then it gave me "invalid URL" so I guess that's that. Been using this shit since I first got AOL in like 1996, back when internet was still pay by the minute.

I was in the middle of talking to someone and it basically just kicked me and wouldn't let me sign in again. (Using the app.) Wasn't expecting it, since it was at 25 past; thought it would last another hour or so.

Good night, sweet prince.

In in PST so i figured I had a few hours, it's not even the 15th here yet. Thought it'd go down in the dead of night, or early morning tomorrow.

>16 f ca
>u?

I wonder if they'd bring it back if enough people wanted it. I'd actually pay if they brought back the older version of AIM with some of the newer features, but the newer version can go fuck itself.

lol

I haven't used AIM in almost 5 years but I checked it every few months to see if anyone was online and a friend of mine that died in 2010 never went offline. Now since AIM is shutdown she is truly dead.

Literally why don't you just use XMPP?

Shitty offline messaging every time I tried it.

i'm back and you were right user. desu the movie was a lot better than the force awakens, and i would have been okay with how luke's backstory post-rotj happened but having him die like yoda was pretty lame.

how does that happen? i'm sure the computer or laptop or whatever used to log in before that person died must have been turned off at some point after 2010

I don't remember using AIM. I used MSN and ICQ a lot, however. I think I was still using MSN around 2010.

I'm 25 by the way.