Microsoft is silently forcing Windows Update policy changes

I figured you Linux boys at Sup Forums would like this little fact that just was discovered less than 24 hours ago.

Users on Windows 10 who have the Windows Update service disabled to stop drivers and shitty updates like FCU from being forced through are finding out Microsoft just started silently modifying the service to manually run by a hidden task trigger pushed OTA to unsuspecting users.

All my Windows 10 machines are running AU because CU and newer are garbage for gaming, breaking gsync and causing stutters.

Well starting yesterday, my friend and I started noticing notifications about Windows Updates ready to be installed, requiring a restart. Sure enough our machines had Windows Update enabled and running despite them being set to disabled.

I verified this on my girlfriend's desktop when I booted it up today. Immediately checked and the update service was disabled. No more than 20 minutes later, we heard the new hardware sound from drivers being downloaded and installed in the background, a monitor flicker from display driver change, and then the same restart required notification. Sure enough, update was running and changed to manual.

This is unacceptable. Spread this news to various PC journalism websites and help get knowledge of this NSA tier takeover of user's hardware that Microsoft is committing. I am currently on Windows 7 and will stay here until this garbage is handled. Should it never come to a satisfactory outcome, then I am done with PCs and walk away. Fuck you Microsoft. Fuck you.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services#bkmk-wu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Using windows 10
the internet has been telling you for years

>disabling updates
Literally why.

>something happening
Enjoy your botnet.

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

I can confirm this, disabled windows update and when I dualbooted into it yesterday, bam, an update

>working config
>only using it for games
>don't fuck with something that ain't broke

I used to have windows updates turned on
Then windows updates started breaking shit

I reinstalled and turned them off.
Now they're forced back on. Holy shit this OS is cancer.

Start using GNU/Linux. It's good for everything except gaming, but that's really the fault of the game devs not releasing software on platforms other than Winshit.

So that the damn OS doesn't constantly pull updates without the user's permission. That wastes bandwidth, disk access, and CPU time, forces restarts, and gives the user no choice in how to download updates, or even which ones.
An OS is not some fucking "software as a service" from Microsoft - it is literally the main platform for anything to do with the computer. Control and choice matter, and Microsoft force feeding us updates can't be the answer.

Try using documented solutions
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services#bkmk-wu

Because if you're on anything other than builds 1511, 1607, or LTSB, Windows simply ignores you and downloads and installs updates without your input.

For most users this isn't much of a problem, but there are some people that have legit reasons for not wanting this to happen. Not wanting a new feature update is not one of those reasons, though, as those can be easily blocked.

Never worked. The "disabled updates" still are pulled and downloaded when you merely open the windows update section of the settings app.

Disabling the Windows Update service was the only way to completely control your system. Now even that is not safe as Microsoft can silently and without consent toggle Update back on and force it all on you. This whole situation is completely fucked.

I'd go Linux if I could but I game so it's not an option. Windows 7 for me from here on out. Fuck Microsoft.

>shitty updates like FCU
I will never understand this meme, literally nothing has ever broken with a new update for me. It's only ever been improvements to the OS.

Microsoft wouldn't have had to do this if people just updated their machines in the first place. Every fucking time someone uncovers some "lolwindows security" issue, it goes unpatched for years because the damn users aren't taking their security seriously, and that makes Microsoft's product look bad.

Microsoft doesn't care about your use case, they care about maintaining their dominance over the PC industry. Mobile started making serious headway into potentially cannibalizing the computer market, they had to adapt or die.

>when you merely open the windows update section
That section is disabled if you apply those settings.

I game on windows, but mostly use linux (using linux right now in fact)

Yeah well I got an update that kept giving my BSOD's, easier to turn that shit off than try and deal with microsoft's dumbfuckery.

>I've never had a problem, therefore nobody else will.
That's naïve to a fault. Also, see There are plenty of valid reasons to want this off.
And honestly, the users who have the technical knowhow to go through all of these hoops disabling Windows Update are not the people Microsoft should have been targeting to begin with. Forced mass updates are useful for 80yo grandma who doesn't know what a computer is.

Not anymore. Microsoft is changing that setting without your permission in the background. Now you have to deal with every single update they send your way.

Microsoft is not changing configured group policies.

You wanna bet?

Two years and it never happened.

Until yesterday, I would have thought the same thing. Apparently times change. Microsoft doesn't like you and your group policies. They will come for you too. Mark my words.

PS, you can't even completely disable Windows Update through group policy on anything but Enterprise Edition. That's why they're going after this method as it's the only way left to completely block their garbage updates.

Someone try disconnect wifi and see if happening

>anything but Enterprise Edition
inb4 .125 is out
I didn't reboot in a while.

It's time to come home my friend.

>the people is making my company's brand to look bad so let me use this underhanded tactic so the people keep making our company to look bad
>this is how one make a brand look better

>hurr durr winblows wouldnt have security problems if its users werent retards

Microsoft have to die

Home is where the penguin and root access are.

I'd love to switch to Linux, Solus is such a nice and fast/smooth distro, but until all my software and games are supported I'm stuck on windows.

>something happened
something happened

>windows 10
>literal botnet that uses your computer to seed updates
>redditors love it

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB doesn't have this problem.

LTSB 2019 probably will and if they fuck it up too much i'm going macOS.

How an operating system this shitty made it to market is astounding. Does microshit even know there are millions of people on shit tier internet. My computer becomes unusable for half an hour after I turn it on while my 3Mbps internet gets turned into a fucking botnet for updates, even with all the peer shit turned off. Fucking cunts. And last year their shitty faggot update kept changing my video drivers to a buggy version with no way to stop it.
Hey microsoft employees. Go buy a gun, learn to use it (since most of you grew up in shitty liberal households with faggot parents), and blow your fucking brains out, but not before killing your entire worthless family. Thanks.

>make a bunch of threads about this exact thing but instead use screenshots instead of a stereotypical image
>get zero replies
>this one suddenly has 25
hmmmmm i wonderrrrrrrr

Nothing changed for me.

How on earth are you a Sup Forums user and you choose to suffer through Windows 10 instead of just installing Windows 7 or something?

>people who use both Sup Forums and reddit (the norm now since 2014)
>people on Sup Forums still pretend reddit is somehow the exact opposite opinion
hi /r/linux

he's ranting about slow internet, liberals, and video drivers
he's a 14 year old brazilian he doesn't know how anything works

Shocking!

>whaaaa windows updates are mandatory
>whaaaa android won't get automatic updates

make up your mind retards

I'm still using Win XP. I'm thinking eventually I'll get a chromebook for web browsing and continue using the Win XP machine for everything else. For me "everything else" is primarily note taking with WordPad.

>Microsoft just started silently modifying the service to manually run by a hidden task trigger
Good. Hopefully they are fixing automatic maintenance so I can keep my computer updated without having to babysit it or keep it running all the time.