Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/emacs-evil/evil
spacemacs.org/
emacswiki.org/emacs/NealStephenson
masteringemacs.org/article/how-to-write-a-book-in-emacs
youtube.com/watch?v=FtieBc3KptU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use Vim, the keybinds are god tier
I want to try emacs evil but it seems like a pain in the ass to configure to reasonable settings

nano

Why not both? github.com/emacs-evil/evil

Before, I used vim for everything. Then I got into emacs, and while I loved the endless functionality it has, I hated the keybinds and sorely missed vim's. So I started using evil mode and it's great. I still mostly use vim for quick edits and whatnot because I haven't gotten around to porting my whole vimrc equivalent to ELISP for emacs' evil-mode to read, but it's getting there.

But if you were to be pitting the two together, vanilla-like, then just remember that one joke:
>"Emacs is a great operating system. If only it had a decent text editor."

yeah, thanks for making it transparent

mobilefags btfo
neovim

neovim

evil-mode is the one good option OP

N A N O for life

Spacemacs

this :(

Top right hand corner of the screen. Open in browser.

I use emacs as my IDE and vim as text editor (to change some configs or smaller things that I don't need IDE for)

ed

windows notepad in wine.

Neither. There is absolutely no good reason for a modern Linux user to learn either vim or emacs. They have become the proverbial "memes."

spacemacs.org/

Nano for text and proper IDE for programming. Vim and Emacs are memes and nobody should be using them anymore.

Sublime

>a proper IDE
>not Emacs

You meant nano

I am constantly running and editing scripts on headless Linux servers for my job: what terminal based text editor should I be using for this? Or does baby need a GUI for everything?

>you probably set up x11 forwarding so you can gedit in a shitty environment

I've used vim for many years but switched to emacs because its much better designed and integrated not to mention much better supported/documentatiom and god tier package system.

>neovim/spacemacs
for what fucking reason

Tell that to the majority of talented software engineers in industry.

Try xah-fly-keys

>These editors lasted decades gaining the wisdom and efforts of the best programmers out there, constantly improving, oh, but now, this very moment they are out of date and worthless! I'm telling you!
You're cute brainlet

Which is best for writing prose?

this

>emacs
>slower
open a really long file with syntax highlighting on, lol.

>lisp is beautiful

acme, sam:
easy to learn, lots of things to master
fuck configuration
just works
by based rob pike
faster
a real graphical editor and not a pseudo terminal app
intuitive
infinitely extendable
fast

You forgot:
Extensible in ANY language of your choosing.

how does this compare to spacemacs

This

My nigga

for writing what? books? depends what you use i guess... if youre using simple text, i dont think you need either
if youre using something like latex you could prob get something out of them

>for writing what?
sorry read "purpose" rather than "prose"
im in need of sleep
the rest stays the same

Write in nano, edit in whichever you prefer between vim or emacs.

All the LaTeX formatting should be part of editing, and there's always markdown/pandoc.

All you really need to write the first draft of any writing on a computer is a digital typewriter that will put what you write on to the screen.

I write long pieces (30+ pages) in emacs using org-mode, then pandoc it to a .tex markup file and go from there. Anything shorter than than (blog posts, etc.) I just use nano. At the point where you're writing you don't need editing, you just need something that will put what you type into a file with minimal complexity. Getting too into editing systems will just get you to worry to much about that and what you're actually supposed to be doing, which is write.

use cat or ed then
cat doesnt allow editing but you can use sed/awk/tee

I think you're taking what I said a bit too literally.

Is there anything cool one can do with emacs without knowing any programming, if only for learning purposes?
I've been getting into GNU/Linux for a year now, using it exclusively and learning a bunch of stuff but haven't got the time to get into programming yet. I'm interested in learning LISP soon, so if I could familiarize myself with using emacs already, it would be on point.

search for deldo (i think it was) on YT

Spacemacs uses evil-mode... Along with a shit ton of other config.

tried spacemacs, I don't have enough autism for all the keybinds tbqh

I'll stick with vim

Go dildo yourself, faggot! I was asking about fucking emacs

>mobilefags btfo
And everyone using Tomorrow

>vim
>easier to learn
>more intuitive
Except it isn't. Drop a normie into Emacs and he can start using it like he would notepad.exe right away. If he's using the GUI version (which he probably is), he's going to explore the menu and pick up the most basic commands, keybindings etc., as well as (infinitely superior to Vim's) help system. Once he realizes there's tab completion on command/function names and discovers the Messages buffer, he'll be constantly picking up and learning new things and gaining proficiency as he goes.

Now drop a normie into Vim and watch him getting nothing done because of Vim's non-existant discoverability.

Deldo is a vibrator remote control interface for Emacs.

>Acme
>Let me move the mouse up to the top of the screen and middle click Undo because UNIX didn't have no garsh darn ctrl Z to undo
>Gat dangit, that's for suspendin yer jobs!
>*mouse moves ever so slightly*
>nd: command not found

Vim + your personal selection of config and plugins >>>> *

Emacs + your personal selection of config and plugins >>>> *

There's no reason to not use neovim over vim, there aren't any disadvantages.
Spacemacs is a totally different beast, though.

Basically this

>inb4 mobilefag

vi

>vimtutor

>There is absolutely no good reason for a modern Linux user to learn either vim or emacs.
vi (and ed) are standardized according to SUS/POSIX and therefore can be expected to exit on every even quasi-unixey operating system you might encounter. Emacs counters this by having tramp mode.

And while I do agree that mastering vi for that reason is not suitable for everyone you should at least know the basics of it.

mouselet

Werks on my machine :^)

>comparing an OS to a text editor
emacs is literally the best DE

neovim is bigger/slower than vim so i use on lower performance pcs
>t. neovim user

Not substantially, I use it on my SBCs

even vim on my RBPi2 is kinda slow, i have to disable syn, rnu and others and all my plugins (dont use it just for quick edits though)

Kate obviously

Notepad++
literally the only non autistic choice in a sea of vim, emacs and nanofags

windows user.

Yeah, kiss my ass.

Does anyone actually use emacs with default keybindings? Supposedly they didn't change them to something less stupid early on because a bunch of oldfags would complain. Is that still the case, or does literally everyone have to customize emacs before using it?

I thought you people were professional graphic designers or game reviewers.
Why do you even need a text editor if you are too normie to anything with it?

You don't need a half the stuff it provides, it's bloated. Notepad2 is the true patrician choice.

i program with it

Sure thing buddy.

vis

Vim sucks
Emacs is fine, only if you want to use it in X you need gtk, but okay that's fine. But then you have to spend your life customizing because the default config sucks. And sure, Lisp is beautiful, but as it turns out, I barely touch the lisp runtime because besides trying to get a sane environment there's not much that I want to do with my text editor besides edit text.
Emacs is nice, vi is better, vis is better, vim sucks

Emacs solely because of org mode.

You don't *have* to customise it. However it's highly recommended because the bindings were designed for different keyboard layout from modern ones and thus they don't make much sense.

>bindings were designed for different keyboard layout
I know that, I'm just wondering if anyone actually still uses them. The whole keybinding customization issue is the main thing keeping me from using emacs because I'm a pleb and I hate customizing stuff. I like to just use the factory settings. If people actually exist who use and enjoy the default keybindings on a daily basis, then I would consider switching.

>designed for different keyboard layout from modern ones
you'd think someone would come up with a modern text editor so i don't have to keybind caps lock...

I just use Xcode desu

Or maybe keyboards could stop having something as retarded as caps lock and replace it with an actually useful key such as control.

Seriously who the fuck even uses caps lock? How is it deserving of such an important location on the keyboard?

visual studio 2017

>Does anyone actually use emacs with default keybindings?
I do. What most people don't realize, Emacs' most basic keybindings (for moving around the text, cutting/copying/yanking, characters/words transposition etc.) are identical to those used by GNU readline library and therefore work in a ton of programs that involve text input, including bash (ksh, zsh and a few other shells use it as well), mysql or python, to name just a few that I use heavily. Not having to do muscle memory context switching is comfy.

>What most people don't realize, Emacs' most basic keybindings
really? I thought this was pretty obvious considering how convenient it is

But that's not a machine. That's a boy toy

Your not my mom I'll do what I want

emacswiki.org/emacs/NealStephenson

masteringemacs.org/article/how-to-write-a-book-in-emacs

youtube.com/watch?v=FtieBc3KptU

>Throughout the course of writing the book I spent the entire time editing and moving and commands that work on sentences (M-e, M-a, M-k) and paragraphs (M-{, M-})

No wonder emacs users get CTS

Acme requires a 3-button mouse for chording. It's an editor for rodent fetishists.

>opening 300 .c files takes several minutes
>editor stops responding when writing to the disk
>the "this file has been modified outside the editor" message gets shown on both sides of split view, but the message only disappears on one when you reload the file
>having to switch out of your terminal to edit files
>not being able to edit files outside of X11