/Lang/

For discussion of language and linguistics.

>What languages do you speak?

>What are you currently learning?

>What do you wish to learn?

Heres a bunch of pdf files with quite abit of languages in it
drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TDZYKhsFtsE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

English NZ
English AU
English American
English UK (some)
HTML

I speak Canadain, eh

ⵉ ⵛⵄⵎⴻ ⴼⵔⵄⵎ ⵜⵀⴻ ⵎⵄⵄⵏ ⵉ ⵙⵃⴻⴰⴽ ⵎⵄⵄⵏ ⵍⴰⵏⴳⵓⴰⴳⴻ ⵉ ⴽⵏⵄⵡ ⵓ ⵡⴰⵏⵜ ⵓⵏⴷⴻⵔⵙⵜⴰⵏⴷ ⴰⵏⵢⵜⵀⵉⵏⴳ ⴱⴻⴰⵛⵓⵙⴻ ⵡⴻ ⴰⵔⴻ ⵜⵀⴻ ⵎⴰⵙⵜⴻⵔ ⵔⴰⵛⴻ

English, Vietnamese

Japanese. My current goal is to get to a decent reading ability by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. I won't watch it, but it seems like a reasonable time marker.

I probably won't ever learn it, but Chinese and French. Chinese for their media and French because it's cool.

Russian and Arabic seem like cool languages to know, but there's not quite as much media or culture their that appeals to me.

>English AU
bump

>pilin ni: sina sona e toki suli ala taso

ni li pilin ike, jan pona o.

Saluton, amiko.

Spanish, English

Trying to learn Italian, French and Japanese bc I wanna go to Europe and to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Dutch, German and Russian

>HTML
nice meme faggot

English
Russian
I guess French to some extent.

Mandarin

Biblical Hebrew

Learning mandarin now

刚 vs 刚才 is a bitch

>>What languages do you speak?
Finnish, Swedish, English, Latin

>>What are you currently learning?
Japanese

>>What do you wish to learn?
Deutch

>what languages do you speak
English, Afrikaans
>what are you currently learning
Modern Hebrew
>What do you wish to learn
Russian and German at some point

>Modern Hebrew
jew?

Yeah, half.

I don't practice religious Judaism though, I just like Israel

Planning on moving someday?

>English and Japanese

>none

>German and Russian

In a year or two probably. The thought of restarting my life in a totally different country appeals to me

French, English (native)
Spanish (B1 or B2, not sure)
German (A2, or maybe a bit short of it)

Nothing because laziness is completely ruining my life.

I'd like to perfect my Spanish and German to reach at least a solid B2 in both.

Other than that, I'd like to learn all of the following (some are obviously more realistic than others):
>Estonian
>Finnish
>Portuguese
>Japanese
>Mongolian
>Latin
>Hungarian
>Serbocroatian
>Russian

you joburg or CT?

Joburg unfortunately

how many jewish south africans do you know that moved to Israel? is it common? or do most leave fro america or britain?

English, native
Castilian spanish, I plan on studying abroad and fugging qt spaniard guys

I've known of quite a lot, and yeah it's common.

I would say that the wealthier Jews tend to either go to America or Australia, and the poorer, younger or religious Jews tend to go to Israel. All in all, more people go to Israel I think.
Are you a grill?

>Learning french
>Went to France
>Now Loathe the French
>Too deep in the hole to quit now
>Only use it to fuck British slags

English native, picked up Spanish a few years ago. Conversational now but still trip up very complex grammar and forget rare words. Spanish is just not that hard, probably the easiest language out there for English speakers.

I started learning Mandarin Chinese about two weeks ago and it's a completely different ball game. Tones are fucking hard to distinguish and harder to pronounce, characters aren't as bad as I expected, and the grammar is piss-easy. I think I can stay motivated enough to learn to read and write it, but I have to actually go to China and teach English for a few years if I ever want to wrap my white brain around tones.

>English
>Know enough spanish to get by
>absolute basic french to get by
>around 5th grade level german
>some russian. Enough to understand slow conversations

>English (native speaker)
>Italian (just started third semester today)
>Arabic (just started very first lesson today)

Sup mandarinbros

(OP)
Nipponese, English

Trying to learn Scottish

Finnish, Swedish, Icelandic

>known languages
English, little Russian
>Currently learning
Finnish
>Wish to learn
Finnish, modern Hebrew, and Russian.

Welsh
English

Genuinely not bad at French but not not fluent.

Currently not learning anything

Want to improve French and get started on Jap in time for Rugby World Cup (who gives a fuck about the olympics?)

How come you hate the French? I've been there a few times and they weren't really accepting but they weren't exactly hostile either
I'm also thinking of learning French

has anyone here tried to learn the conlang that int created for shitposting last week

English, Portuguese.
Swedish.
Swedish.

Indigenious Sarawak, Malay
English to get by
UK & Aus English, Northern German, France French, Japanese

What is your language's equivalent of the classic "English As She Is Spoke"?

> speak english and spanish
> learned some basic indonesian and viet a few years ago from friends
> attempted to learn japanese a few years ago but gave up cus couldnt find resources and not a fan of anime
> attempted to learn russian a few months ago but gave up cus couldnt get a consistent language partner and grammar to complicated
> attempted to learn german at the start of summer - understand some of the basic grammar but having a hard time finding a language partner and learning vocab
tried to learn the shitposting language understand grammar but need to go back to the dictionary for vocab

English

Spanish

Japanese

dont you guys learn english in school

That's meme English.

explain

ayy lmao

Faroese, English, Danish (And Norwegian, Swedish because they are the same as Danish)

Non, had German and french in school. Don't remember much french and can speak simple german.

I'm too lazy for that

have you ever tried listening to a malaysian speaking their version of English?

>Aus English

why da fahk u won lern strine m8?

Estonian, english, russian(to some extent)
-
German, jap and finnish

>>>What do you wish to learn?
>>Deutch
Your first lesson is that its spelled Deutsch, not Deutch

Lazy arrogant and very stupid. It might just be Paris which is what alot of French people claim

>Spanish, English, French
>Portuguese
>Catalan, Arabic and Greek

how can i learn estonian

Entende isso?

This. Written is jumble up between UK & US. Speaking is incomprehendable by native speaker of English. So it's meme.

Da fahkin tourists are mostly Strayan m8. And for buying lots in Strine of course.

you cant

youtube.com/watch?v=TDZYKhsFtsE

this is a good starting point

Make sure to take a shot of vodka every time he says "viin", it makes the learning much more fun

Swedish
English
Japanese
Korean
French

Fuck that
Fuck that, I am done

posso entender a maior parte

Spanish ARG
English

None

Italian, Mallorquín, Deustch

It's okay man if you know all of those to a reasonable level you did good

>Welsh

>Indigenious Sarawak

R A R E
E
R
E

Little japanese
For anime
Chinese
For job
English
For job
Korean
Native

Whatever happened to that retarded shitpost language some amerikek was making?

The emus destroyed it like they destroyed your country's dignity and your mom's snatch.

Is there any use of learning europian languages other than english? In the end every white guys can speak english.

Not unless you're interested in the culture of the places where it's spoken.

1.Vietnamese and English
2.Russian for becoming a tour guide
3.Maybe Spanish ?

I would just simply put it as Malay because indigenious language are irrelevant nowadays. Who's still wants to learn the runes and hieroglyphs anyway.

Portuguese (native)
English (fluent)
Swedish (intermediate, probably B2)

Japanese

Become fluent in Swedish
Mandarin, someday
Estonian (not realistic, but who knows)
Khmer

Are you an American Vietnamese?

Anyway, can you read Vietnamese?

hey how easy is to learn just spoken mandarin?

Yes and sort of.

I can speak the language just fine. I don't have an American accent, but my vocabulary is very limited. Reading and writing for me is very slow because it takes time for me to sound out the words and sometimes I sound it out wrong.

Not him but probably significantly harder than learning both spoken and written mandarin. The difficulty of characters is extremely exaggerated, and knowing them allows you to do some things that are extremely useful for language learning. Like, a lot of mandarin tv has what the people are saying as subtitles, and you can bet your ass being able to read that makes it a lot easier to follow along

how do I learn German

> learn German
>88

>/lang/
>on the board for foreign languages
Fuck off reddit. Quit coming here and trying to compartmentalize things. That isn't how Sup Forums works.

The only reason anyone wants to compartmentalize is in response to the massive compartmentalization caused by generals. Most language discussions get bumped off the board by generals. Stop bringing other sites into things to support your non argument.

This thread is like the opposite of the normal compartmentalization. Of the threads that aren't shitposts, most are for one specific country/language, and people not interested in that language/country are unlikely to check it. Don't get so autistic over a thread title

A person who responds to a 'conform or die' ultimatum was not worthy of life in the first place.
Now quit bumping a general.

That's cool. Now some American Vietnamese couldn't even speak Vietnamese, i don't consider those to be Viets.

ayyy, good one

This is hardly a general

>language I speak
American English
>what are you currently learning
Trying to pick up on French again
>what language would I like to learn
French, German, any of the Nordics really. Maybe Russian or Finnish at some point

Bump

Tagalog, English, Español

None, yet.

Anything, really. Not sure which to start learning, though.

English, Bulgarian, Spanish

Korean

Russian, Persian, German

Learning Korean is so fking fun. Easiest alphabet ever + an abundance of tv to consume.

Can anyone recommend me some Korean movies? Or any media, really, just make it good. No kpop, please.

Korean Japanese English

Arabic

Iranian

Bump

Northern Upper Carniolan, Carniolan Slovene Koine, Colloquial Slovene, Standard Slovene
Western Upper Carniolan
Carinthian

>Japanese, Chinese, English, Russian, Polish (a little bit)

>Swedish

>Ruby

Turkish,English
French
Kazakh or Krgyz,maybe finish my high school German

Is Spanish the only major Romance language without what I mentally call the bullshit pronoun? And possibly Portuguese, I don't know enough about it.

The bullshit pronoun is that indirect referral to the subject if the previous sentence or your conversational partner's sentence or something like that. En in French and Catalan (probably various Occitan varieties too, but that one I just have no clue about), I think it's ne in Italian (going off of "me ne frego" and that one scene in the TV show Gomorra where a character wrote something like "I wipe my balls with it" on a wall, I paused and tried to parse it through Spanish which I speak and I think "ne" in it corresponded to "lo" in Spanish).

Are Iberian languages really exempt from this plague? If so, why? And where did it come from in the other Latin-derived languages? I don't remember anything similar in Latin.

Ayy I'm learning Chinese. Was it hard for you to distinguish those ch/sh/ts sounding initials that all sound exactly the same? I mean at least they have the courtesy of not pairing the similar ones with similar finals, but it's still fucked up.

My native language is Turkish. It's disturbing how similar Esperanto grammar is to Turkish.

>Korean
how advenced are you with your korean?

Is it? I started it twice and dropped it after one lesson both times because I just can't be fucked learning something that boring, but I distinctly remember the grammar being almost completely Romance, at least the verb conjugations and noun declinations. Pretty sure the word order was pretty Latin-tier too. What the fuck is Turkish about it, especially considering Turkish was never even an inspiration for it? (It was supposed to be a world language that everyone would understand, but to a 19th century European "everyone" meant "Europeans")

Portuguese (mothertongue)
English (fluently, C2)
Spanish (basically mostly just putting an accent)
French (barely)
Nothing.
I think I'd like to learn French a bit better, desu. Maybe German.

Not familiar with either language, but I think the creator of Esperanto was inspired by Turkish grammar.

Started learning 1.5 months ago so still a beginner, but making much more progress much quicker than I thought I would, especially for my first Asian language. Perhaps it's because I really love it but here are some tips:

>start with the grammar, throw yourself in seriously
>do a memrise course for vocab
>use resources that provide a lot of audio AND use Hangul
>take a ton of notes
>repeat what you hear in Korean
>watch a lot of media

I recommend howtostudykorean.com, it's basically grammar with an accompanying memrise course. Any other courses are either too slow and easy (TTMIK) or have no audio.

>Started learning 1.5 months ago so still a beginner, but making much more progress much quicker than I thought I would, especially for my first Asian language. Perhaps it's because I really love it but here are some tips:
i started like 14 months ago and I am nowhere. I wish I could say I am lazy but I spend like 10h a week learning korean with no visible results. But I am not giving up.
>Can anyone recommend me some Korean movies? Or any media, really, just make it good. No kpop, please
movies or shows recommendations? i watch a lot of kmovies

Only Swedish and English. I know a little Esperanto too. I can sorta understand all Nordic languages including Old Norse.
None at the moment.
Spanish, I might move to Panama or some other banana republic someday.

>I spend like 10h a week
God damn...how are you learning? Which resources are you using? Do you know the Korean alphabet at least?

It's important to study smart, not long. I average about 4-7 hours a week. Right in the morning when my mind is fresh, on on the stationary bike at the gym. I found that while I'm exercising my memory is amazing.

I don't know how far you actually are so I'm gonna assume you're a total beginner:

1. learn Hangul (I used Go Billy Korean's videos), but don't worry if you can't perfect it at first, you'll improve naturally as you continue reading and learning the language

2. start howtostudykorean.com lessons if you haven't already, they're the best (for me at least)

I think the biggest issue is structure. You end up spinning in circles if you don't have a set plan to follow when learning a language. Commit to a good textbook or course and don't stray.

>movies or shows recommendations?
Movies, I watch a lot of shows so I have that covered. I saw The Thieves last night actually