The Android fragmentation problem has reached full JUST

>Android 8.0 (Oreo)
>released over 3 months ago
>only 0.5% share (that's right, not even 1%)
>there are 4x as many people on 4.1 (Jelly Bean), released in freaking 2012, than there are using the latest version of Android

How did it get this bad?

Source: developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Other urls found in this thread:

macrumors.com/2017/10/06/apple-doesnt-deliberately-slow-older-iphones/amp/
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-slow-8-x-release-date-latest-features-speed-chip-apps-ios-11-battery-a7990966.html?amp
bgr.com/2017/10/09/iphone-slow-new-iphones-rumor-debunked/amp/
amp.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/09/apple-slowing-down-old-iphone-data-iphone-5s-iphone-6-iphone-6-iphone-7-ios-updates
futuremark.com/pressreleases/is-it-true-that-iphones-get-slower-over-time
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

treble is the solution.
We should expect less fragmentation from now on( android 9+)

When Oreo started breaking shit that was previously working on peoples phones, probably. Those retards still cant even get android auto working correctly on Oreo.

This is why some people get iPhones. This is just a fucking mess and it why Androids inevitably stop playing well with apps. Even if you have a flagship phone. If they could fix this crap they'd have some of the app dependability iPhone does and easily grab up people like myself. This and stop letting carrier and manufacturers alter / bloat the shit up to create even more app issues. People like me object to iPhone in principle but have jobs or responsibilities and need more dependable apps. Even if it means carrying extra dongles and chargers and juice packs and all that bullshit.

Google fucked some basic design choices, plain and simple. They cared about US telco's stupid petty wants in a desperate attempt to gain marketshare when they could've ignored them and still have had a viable platform with a much more secure update regime, (chromeos seems to work well in that regard, silently push updates and patiently wait for user to reboot to apply)

Gingerbread and ice cream were the only good versions of android.

This but more so. Their entire business plan was to let everyone mess with their shit and bastardize it. They kept no control over it and then everyone's surprised this happened. The real fragmentation is worse. Lets see each of those versions broken down into the different splinter versions for different manufactures and then broken down again by carrier fuckery. That's your real fragmentation. If you look at it that way there's nothing but skinny slices.

I'm just waiting for Lineage to get a theme engine

Making a new version of the os every year is retarded. Why not do it like windows does

This user is right, catering to carriers and not having full control of updates software wise was fucking retarded. Even if my phone gets the one or two years of updates given by the manufacturer there's a good chance I never get an update because of my carrier. My phone only recently got 7.0 even though the update was released for my phone a year ago.

Or do what apple does without the faggotry. This is the OS, everyone gets the same version, everyone gets updates for x years. But unlike apple the user can highly customize the look and anything else that won't fuck with apps running uniformly, or if they do then it's on them if things don't work.

because google was a pussy and still is a pussy and its users dont give a fuck about getting carrier rape

say what you want about jobs, but the man made carriers get in line and it's been wonderful since
fuck even blackberry used to get them in line, google is a fucking disaster

But for the next version of Android - "Android Penis", will have a new replacement for the purple eggplant emoji along with others, based on Project Square design guidelines (square icons and emoji.).

You must purchase a $900 pixel phone to get this bleeding edge update.

Seriously i haven't given a shit since marshmallow. Anything newer isn't noticable.

4.1 is better than 8.0
that's how this happened

Android updates are mostly cosmetic. You can run the same apps on both 4.1 and 8.0.

Anything below 4.4 is pure suffering to use.

I'm waiting for a pajeet port it for my phone. I'm using 7.1.2 with all the latest security updates so whatever.

Yeah, that's why this shit happens.

I've tried many Oreo ROMs and frankly they're not great. Nougat even seems smoother to me.

Completely artifical restriction. You could change the minimal version in the manifest to fucking 2.3 and it would work on fucking 2.3. All significant API were introduced in 1.0.

Vulkan is a requirement for 8.0. If your device doesn't have a Vulkan capable GPU, then you can't (officially) get 8.0.

>How did it get this bad?

by the vast majority of android users being buttfuck poor third worlders

What phone do you have? I would like to try Oreo when it is stable to be honest

OP5

Over one billion devices from whole world.

>"problem"
Reminder that windows 7, 8 and XP combined have a larger market share than w10, and the OSs were released much further apart than android and are coming from a centralized distributer, Microsoft. Even when everyone is free to download the latest version they still don't. Truth is the large majority doesn't care about having the latest OS.

>a version that still ran apps in a virtual machine using dalvik is better than the one running them natively
Are you this dumb?

ART is still a jvm

This

Android is for the poo(r) and anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or a shill.

This actually isn't why people get iPhones.
>buy iPhone, forced update, phone is slow af
>wow, so little version segmentation!
>get android phone, get updates for a short time
>now either install a custom rom or continue using what you want
>b-but the fragmentation
Fragmentation means that the OS has reached sufficient level for people to not bother upgrading.
>but the security!
That's the fault of the developer, bundling user-space changes with backend changes causes either lack of security or user inconvinience.
And stop kidding yourself, the real reason is branding, just accept it and move on.

Wrong

Holy SHIT, is that a fucking cropped image of a phone screenshot of the telegraph site with only the headline visible? Now I'm CONVINCED.
>You're fucking retarded? Telegraph isn't to blame.

The fragmentation problem is UNAVOIDABLE

So how can you defragment?

How can she slap

Not true. All they have to do is lay down the law and say this is the version, don't fuck with it. What alternative would the manufacturers and carriers have at this point? They're all in. Would take someone else developing a whore OS but it's too late to do that in the market. Just say next version ships stock or not at all. Only possible breakaway would be Samsung and their OS would be the stronger and more stable for only being on their devices.

combination of retards refusing to upgrade their phone and retarded companies all needing to "roll their own" version of android

>>but the security!
The version graphs don't show security updates.

That's the main problem with the reporting. Android can get security updates for an old feature version. Some 4.4.4 Samsung devices are still getting security updates and could be as secure as those Android 8 devices depending on what has been patched and what can be patched (and what doesn't need to be patched).

The biggest problem is that people look at the number and think anything below the highest is less secure, and that definitely isn't the case on Android.

Also, when it comes to apps the vast majority only target 4.2 for a reason (because you don't need to require the latest Android version to use newer APIs on devices that HAVE the latest Android version).
Most of the time the newer APIs are just new ways of doing old things, usually because they have changed how calls work or how the OS reacts to them.
It's just a matter of doing a little bit of compatibility coding. Very few applications would be unable to run on Android 4 and those that don't are usually because the developer is just choosing not to put the effort in to support it.

>Just say next version ships stock or not at all.
I'm sure Google would love all the extra work required to build Android for all the various hardware components that the manufacturers are currently doing instead.

The one thing that Jobs was 1000% correct on was telling the telcos and hardware manufacturers to go fuck themselves over having any control over the iPhone. This is what happens when you don't do it. Android devices getting any updates is the exception rather than the norm.

They say that every time.

who
the
fuck
cares
These updates are pointless

I know, I was just saying that the older versions staying relevant is a good thing

Nah, nougat notification system is really comfy. Other than that, ur right. Not even gonna bother with orlelo

It really depresses me that the only options are Android and iOS, and the only new OS on the horizon is also from Google

>
>They say that every time.
Buttery smooth this release, no lag :-----DDDDDDDDD

i think it might be that people who buy android phones are less likely to upgrade yearly so more people will be on older versions

This is the first ROM building new feature that claims to do this ever.

That's backwards. Give a notice of say two years, and say everyone running Android must run this version. Make the manufacturers adapt. All but maybe Samsung will have to. You can have different components, like PCs to a degree, but they have to run this. Maybe make two versions, full Android and Retard Android for lower grade phones. Watch how quickly no one but the admitted crap manufacturers scramble to not run Retard Android. Crap phones will always run like crap. This is more about making sure the decent phones run the same shit.

I hate Apple but this part is true.

thanks for laugh user, needed thst

It's not that simple, I went over the parts of the problem here

If you say that in a certain amount of time that Android won't work unless they do these things, what choice do they have? The manufacturers are almost all entirely dependent on using Android. Leverage that shit. Don't make shit that is compatible? Good luck selling a phone with not OS or a shit out new OS with no ecosystem.

Last I checked android is still largely open source.

What’s the matter, Google’s assistant ran out of memory so you can’t look it up?

The shit that matters to people aka google services is not.

Oreo didnt bring anything remarkable on board. First release I'm not in a hurry flashing on my phones.

Intel entry into the mobile market, then dumping support for any of their old devices.

>goog doesn't care, why should i?
is a quote by the phone makers probably

It's this bad, because hardware manufacturers for Android devices don't open source their drivers. If they did the drivers would get included in the Linux kernel and kernel devs would maintain/update them, but they don't want to give up their precious ip so the drivers remain closed source.

And then they don't bother to update their drivers to work with newer kernel versions. So phones are generally stuck at the exact version they launched with.

So newer Android often doesn't work on old kernel devices.

Updates rely on this stupid long chain, any one break of responsibility and you don't get updates
>hardware manufacturers have to update their drivers for new kernels
>phone manufacturer has to actually build new updates for old devices
>cell provider has to get update from manufacturer, make it work with whatever bullshit patches they do, and push it out
and none of these steps make the companies involved any money, so none of them happen.

>The shit that matters
>google services
Pick one. Besides, there's an open source solution for this.

Nice job skipping over the “most people” part aka the 1 billion plus normies that make up the android user base.

This.
Closed source drivers and the whole android kernel situation is unsustainable.
The only real solution would be to require all the phones to work with one stock kernel, only varying in device trees. That's what this system is designed to do anyway.
But that's probably not gonna happen any time soon. Let's see how at least the Treble goes.

The best way to do it would be the way Debian does it. Rolling release, and allow updates to occur without restarting. Just run an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade every day and never power off the device.

ttp://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-slowdown-planned-obsolescence-2017-10
macrumors.com/2017/10/06/apple-doesnt-deliberately-slow-older-iphones/amp/
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-slow-8-x-release-date-latest-features-speed-chip-apps-ios-11-battery-a7990966.html?amp
bgr.com/2017/10/09/iphone-slow-new-iphones-rumor-debunked/amp/
amp.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/09/apple-slowing-down-old-iphone-data-iphone-5s-iphone-6-iphone-6-iphone-7-ios-updates

Nice try, faggot.

>a réddit post

You have to go back.
Never mind that relates to battery deterioration rather than actual raw performance.

>actual raw performance literally decreases
>it's the battery's fault lmao

>new phones are releasing with legacy version of os and without treble
JUST

>can’t read his own source
>trusts rêddit

Again, you have to go back

futuremark.com/pressreleases/is-it-true-that-iphones-get-slower-over-time

Substratum?

Just beam more MKULTRA to people and they'll buy oreao

People who buy Androids are the same who build their own computers
Some people don't want to deal with it.

This is why you should only buy devices that come with 8.0 out of the box.

1: Cell companies refuse to send OTA updates even to compatible hardware because planned obsolescence.

2. More phones now than ever have locked bootloaders and are harder to root than the first, second, and third generation android phones.

Just run defrag

Does it even matter which Android version you run?

I don't know what my last phone used and I don't know what my current phone uses.
Never had issues with apps not working.

Security is a concern to me, but I decided phones aren't safe enough to trust with any banking details anyways.
So the most they can steal is my contact list.....which every App demands to look at anyways.

You know an OS is amazing when it has 90% market share despite being this fucking fragmented. Loonixcucks should take note and maybe make their dogshit open source so it can finally stop being an absolute piece of shit.

Linux would also have a 90% market share if all PC manufacturers shopped with Linux instead of Windows.

Reminder that only in 8.1 (api 27) did they catch up to Java SE8.

>release new android almost every year
>old phones with android 4 serve as well as the new overpriced phones

gee I wonder how could this happen

Right

Treble still relies on manufacturers and carriers, it's hardly going to change anything.

Because Apple maintains full vertical control over their products they're able to do things completely impossible on Android.

As a developer, Android is a goddamned clusterfuck. Since the whole point of it is maximum portability you end up with a seemingly endless amount of variation. Thankfully you only have to program for something executed on a VM so hardware compatibility isn't an issue, just API compatibility.

By comparison, developing for iPhones is a god-given gift. Because Apple knows exactly what hardware is in every iteration of the phone they can make the OS easy to develop for AND have great performance.

Google needs to start from scratch to create a competitive mobile platform. They were hedging for a while when Android's performance was in the same ballpark, but the issue of the VM and fragmentation has become unavoidable.

>New versions of iOS and apps that roll out after a newer iPhone's release may simply not be optimized to work as well on processors inside older iPhone models.

Does it matter op?

Competent people will get security updates from jish at xda

Why don't Android phones simply default to stock Android once manufacturer support has been dropped?

Low end devices/any shit that isn't a phone will never get updates, and they are always released with 4.x. It's not that big of a problem as everyone think.

But they don't do that because linux is trash due to it being "free". Open source would allow manufacturers like lelnovo, HP, ayysir, toyota, and zuzuki to make better versions of loonix (see oxygen os for Android).

Except Android never stop playing well with apps. I'm using some apps developed for Froyo (2.2)+ on my Nougat (7.1.2) phone with basically no problems. The only problem is usually the inconsistent UI.

Never. Android has built-in theme support since Lollipop and since Oreo it became official(as in you don't even need root for that).

Hackers aren't the only Android users. Most Android users have no idea XDA even exists.

let alone Sup Forums

this.

Kitkat is the "windows 7" of android, i still have kitkat on my galaxy s5 and works just fine, the fucking marshmallow and nougat are draining more battery than kitkat on most of the phones that were released with kitkat, even if they have "doze" and all that other shit that should offer a lower battery consumption....

>pajeetROM
>security
top kek

Would you like Mark Zuckerberg personal info?

iOS 11 supports devices all the way back from 2013, where on the other hand it seems like quite a couple of Android devices are discontinued on the same day they're released.

Mark Zuckerberg Facebook Spy May 21, 2017

>Buy $200 piece of shit laptop
>Can install any version of Windows, Linux, and in some cases OSX
>No need to worry about support, updates are guaranteed

>Buy $1000 Android phone
>No updates ever
>Random apps from the Play Store will refuse to install because you're "Unsupported"
>Google locks new features to their latest phones
>If you want security updates, just buy another phone

Why are phones such fucking garbage?

Because the huge appeal of Android is the cheap phones, and when you don't update these phones, this happens.