/SQT/

/SQT/
previous

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/INTEL-I350T4V2BLK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Server-Adapter-I350-T4-V2-Quad-Ports/371587622407
ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intel-OEM-I350T4V2BLK-Ethernet-Server-Adapter-Gigabi-4-Port-RJ45-PCI-Express/112400469306
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is gentoo good, or bad ?

let's say i'm looking at two computers with /seemingly/ the same specs:
4-core 3.2Ghz
16GB RAM
1TB SSD
decent GPUs

the only difference is one is labelled as a 'workstation' and cost a hell of a lot more than the 'consumer model' PC

it the workstation magically more better?
is it somehow worth the extra cost?

good if you are a knowledgeable gnu/linux user who needs a source based, rolling release distro to fit his exact needs in optimization and program features.

bad if you are a brainlet who cannot even install windows, but you want to try le looonix meme.

Any programmer for hire?
>familiar with Renpy VN,
No, you're not gonna use that. But the project is almost similar with that.

wrong type of silicon for Sup Forums

someone please help

How can I make my Ubuntu less bloated ?
I like the comfort of use and the fact that everything works out of the box when you are a (web)dev, but Unity seriously eat too much RAM :'(

what do you want to do?

first of all:
is win defender just running a scan in the background
open the actual program and see

how does windows update offline work? Do I run it again and scan for more updates? Also what is your best methods of archiving around 4TB worth of compressed files with a budget of $1000?

Had a question in last thread im going to try asking again i got some pretty good sources but i still need a little more. Im writing an essay for my English final and i decided to make the argument that normies don't pay attention to what theyre supporting when they buy latest hardware/use latest software (plan on writing info on google collecting data, microsoft collecting data etc.) does anyone have some good sauces i can use for my work cited page. they have to be "credible" lol. thanks in advance anons.

no, it isnt. ive checked. im more concerned by the gpu usage though. it should be like 1 percent on idle right?

What cheap 4 port pci-e gigabit NIC should I get for pfsense/opnsense/linux/bsd? I can fit a x16 card in the slot but its limited to x4.

I was thinking about one of these
ebay.com/itm/INTEL-I350T4V2BLK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Server-Adapter-I350-T4-V2-Quad-Ports/371587622407

ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intel-OEM-I350T4V2BLK-Ethernet-Server-Adapter-Gigabi-4-Port-RJ45-PCI-Express/112400469306

What are the actual parts though? Sounds like a tower, why are you not building it yourself?

ATI or Nvidia as dGPU for new laptop?

Install Debian.

Reposting from the last thread:

There's something wrong with my computer but I'm not sure what. The date and time will regularly unsync several times a day, forcing me to click "Set time automatically" off then on again every time this happens.

I have tried updating, clean installs, replacing the cmos, and I think I tried setting the date and time in the bios as well.

Is there anything else I can try to make it so that my date/time is always synced to the internet time save for getting another motherboard entirely? Shit is very annoying.

i,m asking generically.
but for example:
lenovo p71 vs t470 give them the same specs and one is double the price.

How to make a VM that could have a full access of other drive (at least USB flash drives) ?

What program are using for the VM?

Maybe your quartz timer is fucked.

a lot of it comes down to software. dells sells workstation/desktops with the same exact specs except one has microsoft office/outlook stuff.

How do I fix it?

What's a good EPUB PDF reader for Android? Preferably something without any ads.

look up ntp issues. i had a script that updated ntp every time i log in when i had to use some bullshit RHEL

I'll check that out, thanks.

Where does one pirate android apps from? Public torrent trackers are a bit lacking in this department.

virtual box
I want to do a VM of windows xp that could do that .

Oh and I am on xubuntu

Prestigio
It has ads but only when you select the file to read
No ads while reading

I would like to turn a VPS into a private VPN how would I go about doing that?
Will OpenVPN suffice?
Also what security should I implement?

I have D-Link powerline adapters
Occasionally it'll stop working and my internet will cut out, I can either wait for a while or powercycle either one of the adapters and it'll instantly start working again.
I had a quick google about it and found it's most likely due to some hibernation state in which it's not allowed to wake back up due to some reason. If you have a TP-Link adapter apparently there's some program you can run to turn off the hibernation state, but sadly I have D-Link.
Another fix was to run ping -t *gateway*, which I've done and it seems to get rid of the problem, but obviously it's not an ideal solution. I know there's some workaround to get rid of the cmd window but even then it's not ideal.
Is there a better way to deal with this shit?

tl;dr powerline adapter shits the bed, requiring a wait or powercycle. most likely due to hibernation, how fix pls?

I use Moon Reader, same as the other user, has small ads while browsing files but not while you read.
You can also obviously get the patched apk and avoid ads completely.

Upvoted

bump for answer from someone who isn't just guessing, please?

if ping -t "gateway" works you could write a script that just does this every minute, no?

are ALL the parts EXACTLY the same?
if parts aren't specifically mentioned, they are the worst possible parts imaginable and as such you'll likely have to replace them
However, the workstation could have much better unmentioned parts

also
>it the workstation magically more better?
>more better

nobody can answer your question because nobody has enough info to answer your question

If I buy an album from the play store, can I play the songs even if my phone isnt connectced to the internet?

What should I expect in a phone interview (and if that goes well, an actual interview) for an IT internship? I'm a social retard with no previous job, so I have no idea what to expect. I've only had a few interviews for non-tech jobs before and completely bombed them by choking on even the most basic questions. Job description includes:

>troubleshooting and repairing computers
>creatinging technical documentation
>hardware installation and support
>assisting with level 1 and 2 service desk requests
>getting feedback from customers
>collaborating with internal customers through the "problem-solving process"

It also says I would be under supervision.

Those two don't have the same specs though. T470 is only sold with dualcores while you can buy a P71 with a 4C/8T Xeon. P71 has 4K 17.3" screen while the T470 has 14" 1080p. T470 doesn't have any options for a GPU while the P71 can have Quadros.
The build quality is lot more important with laptops, since spare parts can be hard to find and changing those parts can be even harder. Thinkpad E-series is basically generic consumer crap wrapped in the Thinkpad brand. You should compare that to the T-series.
T420 with an SSD wasn't pretty enough for my sister, so she paid twice as much for an HP consumer grade laptop. Usually installing more RAM woud require removing one or maybe two screws and 5 minutes, but for that laptop it took about a dozen and an hour of carefully twisting the plastic while placing pencils between the cracks. It wouldn't have taken nearly as long if some of the screws hadn't been hidden.
The internals were also as barebones as it can get.

With desktops there might not be as much difference. Cheaper ones might have shitty PSUs, coolers and motherboards which can bite you in the ass in the long run, but they might not be deemed important at the first glance because they don't affect the performance at first at least.
Motherboards, cases and PSUs can be proprietary with only the necessary slots for the advertised specs so upgrades are limited if even possible. The premium models are generally made of standard parts although not optimally.

Any difference for a 1TB storage drive between GPT and MBR? It's only going to have one partition.

I use EBookDroid for pdf. It should support epub as well, but I never tried any so I don't know. Never seen a single ad.

Prepare to go through your resume in your own words. Since it's a customer service job, they expect you to not completely lose your spaghetti. Being nervous is normal. If the interviewer is an H&R whore, don't explain anything in technical terms because she won't understand. She's likely to ask retarded trick questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "Have you ever encountered a problem you weren't able to solve" and "What accomplishment are you most proud of"

They don't expect you to know the answer for every problem. They expect you to be able to find the answer and then solve the problem.
Documentation is everything and DNS is always the problem.

Go for NVIDIA for the best performance and stability of modern games at their maximum locked FPS.

ATI is good for gaming modern games too, but renders and works worse than NVIDIA. Only go for it if you're poor. There's a reason most of persons you meet that like gaming on PC uses NVIDIA's GPUs.

probably yes, and I could use the mentioned method to hide the cmd window, but still that feels like a horrible workaround rather than an actual fix

no, a single 1TB partition is within mbr limitations, so there won't be any difference
you might save a tiny amount of space with mbr, as it's partition table is smaller, but it's hardly a consideration
i say "might", as most tools align partitions to the nearest MB, which leaves tons of room for a gpt header as well, making such a partition identical in size on either format

-- also note, you can easily convert between mbr and gpt (provided the paritions can fit in mbr's limits), so there's no need to put much thought into it

i suppose one other reason to choose one or the other is OS support, if you plan to have windows 98 or something access it, you'll want mbr

Thanks, I'm asking for my normie friend.
Will 6th gen Core i5 be enough to handle some games? assuming he opted for iGPU?

Would it be a good alternative to Linux Mint?
I've been stuck with Mint for years because I am not sure what a good alternative would be but I've had some major problems without outdated packages and [spoiler]being called a noob in GNU + Linux threads[/spoiler]

I'm looking into rooting and flashing my LG G3 (D855) with some custom OS. My only past experience with such things was putting CyanogenMod on my Galaxy Nexus like 4 years ago. Android 4.4 CM was great and I kind of miss having all of the tweaks and features.
-What is a good Android distro I could put on my phone? Hopefully something that still gets support.
-Is Oreo already implemented in custom distros?

LineageOS is the new CM

I know for one you can get pirated .apks from many sites that host them. I recommend onhax, for instance, and disable the signature verification through Lucky Patcher.

But what really interests me is if you can pirate .apks that require you to stay connected to the internet before using them.

Thanks, this is helpful. How do you answer those trick questions, though? They always get me.

where I can get a girlfriend?

Is there still a way to upgrade windows 8->10 for free?

5$/£/€ license from ebay is probably more worth your time.
If you're in a school, college or uni, try asking IT for Edu license.

Best dumbphone?

Best way to emulate android on pc for the apps I need for work?

I usually just google " premium apk download" and it shows up.

Yes, i have used several online apps such as spotify, facebook clients and tinder that were cracked

Yep, I wouldn't bother yet to upgrade, maybe when things started to crash I will make the migration

Reposting my question from previous thread:

This, Edu is better than Pro.

Is it possible to go from Pro/Edu to Enterprise and gain more control of how updates work?

Education is closer to Enterprise than Pro, I think there's barely any difference at this point.

Edu is Enterprise minus Cortana and no, it is not possible.
You can change the update policy in any version from GPO.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

Is it worth it to buy certified refurbished hard drives? Theres HGST 3TB hard drives for like 60 bucks vs new ones that are like 80

Bumping this please because I would like more sources if yall got them. I'm a newfag to tech so I need all the help I can get haha.

Is there seriously no way to get a lower bar on Chrome like the old firefox status bar to put all these extension icons on, instead of having them bloat up the top bar? Or even on the newer version of Firefox that fucked away all the good previous addons?

Christ, whether I update FF or switch to Chrome it's garbage either way

Some people buy slighly used HDDs because they've survived the high mortality rate of infancy. I'm not one of those people though and wouldn't risk being scammed for 20$. Warranty will cover infancy issues and backups will restore the lost data.

NIST, BSI Grundschutz and ISO27K probably have something about untested software. Credible as fuck too.

Remove works just fine. Purge can be used if you explictly want to remove settings files as well but you don't really need it most of the time. Autoremove is a tool you run every once in a while to make sure you don't have any unneeded packages dangling around.

>Will removing dependencies corrupt other programs that use it?
Yes, programs can become unusable if you remove the packages they depend on. However IIRC apt warns you before removing packages that other programs need. Removing unused dependencies doesn't do any harm, the worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to reinstall them when downloading a new package or updating existing one.

anecdotally I've heard that anything with an Intel chipset will generally have good support in free OSes. Double check that its okay with an x4 link though. I have a SAS HBA card that says x8 and means it, it doesn't work properly if you only give it four lanes.

Yeah, secure it like a standard Linux server and then install the OpenVPN server. There's detailed guides on doing that, search for them

I wouldn't count on it.

Depends on the game. Modern integrated graphics handles less-demanding stuff like Source-engine games, WoW, and the like just fine.

if you don't like unity then just try Xfce or something. Install Xfce, or install Xubuntu if you want it to be the default. (or KDE if you swing that way, but its not all that much lighter) Mint and Ubuntu are really your only choices for noob-friendly distros.

Sorry, that feature isn't available in the beta version.

apt remove uninstalls the package but leaves its config files. apt purge removes the package and its config files. Removing dependencies that are used by other packages will break them, but neither command does that. Deps don't get removed automatically, and they're only removed (using apt autoremove) if nothing depends on them and they weren't manually installed.

I have six of those exact drives in a ZFS array, they've never given me so much as a checksum error. You still need to use backups and redundancy for data you care about, of course.

I think 20 bucks aren't enough to make me want to risk failure significantly sooner than a brand new drive. Gotta be like half the price for me to bother

I guess I'm unlucky with the only application I want to use. In my case, it's Super Mario Run. I can't find a cracked version of it anywhere, and it makes me question if it's actually cracked or not. I have download .apks of it from that lie it's "modded" and "cracked", but in reality it's not.

Crucial BX300 (240Gb) for 67€?

Y/N?

Probably not the fastest, but who cares if it's 70€.

I like reading before going to bed, and I have a kindle paperwhite. It works well for reading text files and text based PDFs, but it's slow and blurry for anything scanned so I'm forced to use my bright-fuck tablet that won't let me fall asleep.

Is there any e-ink sufficiently powerful -and- high resolution that it can handle scanned books? (I'm reading jap shit, so kanji really needs high resolution unless it's digital)

tl;dr - Any high resolution and high power e-ink readers?

why the FUCK my project give me a yellow image only with one laptot but not with every other device??

I need help Sup Forums:

When I boot up my PC this morning, the bios screen had corrupted visuals. Also, Windows 10 kept rebooting at the blue Windows logo. If I enter Windows safe mode though, the visual corruption isn't there and the system doesn't reboot. I tried uninstalling drivers but reinstalling new drivers just causes the system to keep rebooting.

Is my GPU dead or is there a way I can bring it back to life? I already tried reseating the thing and used another PCI-E lane, same issues.

What do 1% low and 0.1% low in hardware benchmark mean?
I googled it and it says something along the line of 'an average among the 1% slowest fps and 0.1% slowest fps', but then what makes them different than minimum fps? And where do I put the frame time they were talking about into this if it's just an average of slower fps?

>RPI that connects directly to my router with an external display for bandwidth usage stats for the network
>can ssh in to it from desktop

Possible? I don't want to fuck around with DD-WRT where possible, so I'd much rather have an external piece of equipment plug in and get the stats since I can't seem to get this info directly from my desktop.

the minimum is the lowest recorded value, outliers included
if the benchmark say, ran at 300fps for just about the whole time, but dropped to 1fps for 1 frame, the minimum will be 1fps, but the 1/0.1 percentile will be higher
basically, they filter out outliers

I got jew throttled by o2 and dropped 92% of my bandwidth.
How do i get back my past?

I have a new OLED smart TV, specifically the LG 55B7. I'd like to stream the media I have on my PC to it. What's the best way to accomplish this?

Guys, do you know if there's any site for generating random images or maybe a set of images based on certain words? Something by an AI or something like that?

Probably not, since the pi won't see traffic going from other ethernet ports (or from wi-fi) out to the internet, or vice-versa. Its ethernet port only gets sent packets going to it. Now some ethernet switches have port mirroring and monitoring features that would work around this, but you won't find features like that in a consumer plastic-box wi-fi router. Your choices are to get over your fear of stuff like OpenWRT and pfSense, or give up.

Does it support DLNA? Might work if you make a DLNA server or something on your machine and browse it through it. No experience on that though since I always have used external devices with dedicated Plex clients myself

Yeah it supports DLNA, which was my first choice, however I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe a Raspberry Pi?

How does Plex work?

I've had this exact problem with an older ATI card, and it turned out it was dying. You should still try wiping the drivers with DDU if you haven't already.

>sda1 through sda 4 is windows boot manager and windows partitions
>sda 5 is root folder for linux
>sdb is some sort of external storage
>sdb1 is for GRUB
>sdb2 is for /boot
>bios is set to boot external storage first
>if external storage is not detected, it will automatically boot to windows
Is this configuration possible/sane? Also, will there be any harm in removing sdb while the linux partition is running?

I haven't done it with dual-boot, but my laptop has /boot on a flash drive. It works fine. You can take the flash drive out while the system is running and nothing falls over, but you need to remember to have it present for anything that touches /boot (eg, kernel upgrades)

Best way to clean 2017 Macbook Pro? My dandruff keeps getting under the keys

How do i actually fully get into programming without using tutorials? I've been 'Programming' for a few years now and the only language i can actually do shit in without needing to watch a tutorial, does anyone else have a similar problem?

say you have 1000 frames drawn in one second, that's 1000fps. 1% of 1000 is 100. You then order the 1000 frames from slowest to fastest in terms of how fast they were drawn. The first 100 in the order would be the 100 slowest frames in terms of draw-time. You take the average of those 100 frames, that's your 1% lows.

my computer is dying and i want to doo

i just got my wisdom teeth pulled i am fucking

also, forgot to add
the "minimum framerate" is a vague term but most of the time, it refers to only 1 frame that had the slowest draw time. This is an unreliable metric as that 1 frame could be caused by anything outside of the benchmark's control. Averaging more frames helps in mitigating this sort of error.

How big difference is 212ppi vs 300ppi, speaking about ebooks? It's worth the extra money? Some people say they can't notice, some say it's huge improvement.

Are you under the influence as well?

every archives returns a CRC error on extraction and / or results in a BSOD during or at the end or at the very start

solutions?

Will I go to hell if I don't tip the Prime Now guy?

Something in me just doesn't like to do so. Feel like if I was gonna pay a tip I'd just buy it from the regular site and wait another couple days.