>be me at work
>american tourist customer
>"it'll be 16,89 sir, will you pay debit or credit?"
>"credit"
>"okay you can go ahead"
>see this

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Other urls found in this thread:

squareup.com/townsquare/why-are-chip-cards-more-secure-than-magnetic-stripe-cards/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

so what's wrong with this?

what? they have had chip and pin for years m8

Not in the Northeast apparently. The #1 way to spot an american is by them swiping.

Swiping is old technology and getting the magnetic data stolen with a skimmer and your card getting cloned is incredibly easy

Chip and pin is more secure

Tbf, many places in the US, even in >2016, still don't have a functional chip reader.

yeah, but don't americans swipe their cards till today? be thankful he didn't give you a check

all card readers still require a swipe, even with chip-and-pin. The only cards here that do tapping are bus tickets

it just werks and it's what everyone is used to. Why change it? It would only confuse people and require merchants to have two different terminals for credit and debit (including prepaid) cards

>all card readers still require a swipe, even with chip-and-pin

No you dumb fuck you insert it with chip and pin.

The magnetic strip of your credit card can easily get stolen with a skimmer and then cloned

>it just werks and it's what everyone is used to. Why change it?

Because millions of American citizen's credit cards get stolen every single year resulting in billions of dollars in damages total. It's incredibly insecure and the whole world has adapted it, BESIDES America. As the richest and most technologically advanced country you idiots are still behind the times.

>customers paying with American Express
Get a normal card you fucking kike

>getting mad at AMEX

wassup, schlomo?

Here's the problem with chip and pin cards: people fuck it up. Every time I go to an ATM, everyone has to do it at least twice regardless of their age and the bank I work at had the brilliant idea of also including a lockout timer if three "scans" were incomplete/didn't work for whatever reason. This is assuming they can even figure out where to put it in (as it's not recognizable like a swipe reader). The one time I saw it in a store (a rebuilt mcdonalds), nobody could do it right and the employee instead typed in each card number individually. My local DMV does the same for their new payment machines and employees type it in there too.

For comparison, swiping just works. And swiping works with chip-and-pin, so who cares. I live in Silicon Valley and all the machines here are swipe ones that do both magnetic strips and chip-and-pin. It's what people are used to and nobody fucks it up. Most people don't even know there's a difference.

Contact-less payment (for under €25) is the norm here now.
Feels good to be modern.

>Not enjoying those THICC cashback rewards

what's wrong faggot?

>Here's the problem with chip and pin cards: people fuck it up
you ever consider that you live with retards
> I live in Silicon Valley
nvm,you're already aware.

>The magnetic strip of your credit card can easily get stolen with a skimmer and then cloned

so can your chip and pin card. The machine doesn't know whose actually swiping it.

>Because millions of American citizen's credit cards get stolen every single year resulting in billions of dollars in damages total.

and millions more are stolen each year because we still use cash. Is this a reason to get rid of cash? It's impossible to prevent thefts unless there's a threat of immediate retaliation. Making a card slightly harder to copy doesn't achieve anything other than making life hard for everyone. Though this does shift more people online because why would anyone want to walk into a store if they're just going to sit and fuck around with a cash register for ten minutes.

I would never buy on credit, that's some white trash nigger shit.

No retard, if your card has a chip and the store has the new system, you just put your card in and wait/put in your pin if its debit, then pull it out.

How do you fuck this up? does it work differently in America?
Here you can do this: And if you're paying more that €25 you just stick the card in and type your 4 number pin.

>swiping just works

Yes you're enabling credit card fraud by swiping you dumb amerifat

By using chip and pin you reduce it drastically

>Every time I go to an ATM, everyone has to do it at least twice regardless of their age and the bank I work at had the brilliant idea of also including a lockout timer if three "scans" were incomplete/didn't work for whatever reason. This is assuming they can even figure out where to put it in

How the fuck are Americans so retarded that they can't put a card in, chip first, wait a few seconds and then remove it? how can you possibly fuck this up

it's objectively much safer than using debit

>Ameridumbs
How can you fuck up entering a four digit access code to your money
Are Americans special cases or what's wrong with their intelligence

As someone who does business with Americans, you won't believe how technologically backwards USA can be
In my opinion the US is just a richer and stronger Brazil

>And if you're paying more that €25 you just stick the card in and type your 4 number pin.
that's the issue. he lives amidst retards incapable of remembering that 4 digit PIN.

Credit is pretty much mandatory if you ever want to buy a house or car here. But this discussion is also about debit cards.

>Are Americans special cases or what's wrong with their intelligence
hey, now. he lives in California. pls don't call them "American"

This is another reason why chip-and-pin machines are such a hassle: there's so many different types of special snowflake cards. You got chip-and-pin, apple pay, TAP, whatever proprietary shit your local transit agency uses, your phone's RFID, bluetooth, and google wallet. Or you can just use a swipeable magnetic card.

Though it doesn't really matter as here in the US they made the new chip-and-pin cards/machines work as a swipe anyway and not anything special so people don't get confused.

>It's impossible to prevent thefts unless there's a threat of immediate retaliation

???????????????????????????????????????????????????/

If you can buy a fucking skimmer online for next to nothing and buy a reader/writer online to write it to blank cards and steal people's money so easily, then by making it significantly harder you're reducing it you idiotic retard

Why can't you accept that the whole world has adapted this many years ago, and ONLY RECENTLY are Ameridumbs getting around to rolling out chip and pin and realizing that "Gee maybe this really isn't all that secure and we should probably fix it"

>making life hard for everyone.

HOW. How is it harder? what is so hard about using chip and pin rather than swiping? what is confusing about it

>How can you fuck up entering a four digit access code to your money

Because only debit cards have PINs. If someone has to setup or type in a PIN to use a credit card, they won't use it.

What's the difference anyway?
My debit card is a credit card too

I had an American customer from Cali in his 20s that asked me how to open his e-mail.
On the other hand, the rest of the US isn't too smart either. Who the flying fuck uses checks in 21st century and not absolutely free of charge wire transfers

OH WAIT

>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH????

Did he SHART IN MART?

>Americans are so retarded that they can't figure out chip and pin, meanwhile the rest of the world has been using it for ages

holy kek

>Though it doesn't really matter as here in the US they made the new chip-and-pin cards/machines work as a swipe anyway and not anything special so people don't get confused.

proofs for this:

squareup.com/townsquare/why-are-chip-cards-more-secure-than-magnetic-stripe-cards/

>Another potential security risk? If a local store doesn’t have a point of sale that’s chip enabled (meaning there’s no slot for you to “dip” your credit card), then you need to use the magnetic stripe on the back of the card and the chip isn’t activated. That means no extra security from the chip.

In other words, American chip-and-pin cards still come with a magnetic strip for legacy compatibility. 99% of people, including millenials, will use the swipe because that's how they understand credit cards.

If you're not supposed to swipe then why do your machines support it?

Checkmate yuros

What?
My debit card is also a credit card. It has the cvv, the weird letters (what's the English adjective for that, "protruding"?), is accepted as credit card everywhere and it has pin.

>because that's how they understand credit cards.

How can you be that mentally retarded?

>"I saw people buying things by swiping their cards in films! Hurr I guess i won't use this square on my card that's new technology"

literally shaking my head right now. No wonder America has such a problem with credit card fraud, you people are retarded

I live in new england and these are just showing up, many places dont use them tho

Reminder that is illegal to transfer more than €3000 in cash between privates in Lelurope

>feels good to have every purchase tracked by the goverment

mate I haven't seen anyone swipe the card for fifteen years

I once had a case in Tesco where the terminal fucked up and asked me to swipe and I was hesitant about how to do that, like what speed etc., as I never seen anyone do it

>If you can buy a fucking skimmer online for next to nothing and buy a reader/writer online to write it to blank cards and steal people's money so easily, then by making it significantly harder you're reducing it you idiotic retard

and you can write down the card number for free using a napkin and a pen

>HOW. How is it harder?

Because people have to insert the card correctly into the "dip" port, then pull it out at the correct speed. People almost always insert it backwards, upside down, or pull it out too slowly or too quickly. And three failed readings means the machine times out and everyone has to sit there. Five timeouts and the manger has to reset it. Ten and the card is made invalid (at least at Chase).

Yes, people fuck it up and it's always a shitshow. This is EXACTLY why they kept the normal magnetic strip to it, because people will use that.

Swipping never existed in France (except Amex), only with code.
But today in France we have "contacless payment", it's the new tech.

Do your countries have contacless payment ?

>>feels good to have every purchase tracked by the goverment
What?

>and you can write down the card number for free using a napkin and a pen

Your logic is so stupid holy shit

What are you hiding?

>How can you be that mentally retarded?

It's how people understand them. In all media credit cards are swiped through a machine. It's been that way since the mid 90s. Doing a "dip" is not a natural movement like a swipe and (assuming everything goes correctly) will slow people down. It also requires much more thought than just a single arm movement (putting the card in, waiting for it to tell you to remove it, and removing it vs a single hand swipe).

>>"I saw people buying things by swiping their cards in films! Hurr I guess i won't use this square on my card that's new technology"

no shit sherlock, top to bottom credit cards are advertised and portrayed as things that make commerce faster. Can't get any faster than a swipe. Interrupting that just pisses people off.

>Because people have to insert the card correctly into the "dip" port, then pull it out at the correct speed. People almost always insert it backwards, upside down, or pull it out too slowly or too quickly.

Chips have been the norm here in Canada for years now

And I have never, ever, EVER experienced this problem, or noticed anyone else having this problem when in line waiting. Why are all americans such retards?

You people will fuck up anything, seriously

I prefer cash.

>It also requires much more thought than just a single arm movement (putting the card in, waiting for it to tell you to remove it, and removing it vs a single hand swipe).

So now we're breaking it down to like milliseconds of time processing the information? Wtf?

Okay enjoy getting your shit skimmed and then having to call your cc company, tell them to cancel your card and waiting for them to send you a new one. Good thing you saved those 3 milliseconds by swiping

>And I have never, ever, EVER experienced this problem

what do you want me to say? Most people are stupid. Americans just want to buy things not sit and fondle a credit card terminal.

>People almost always insert it backwards, upside down, or pull it out too slowly or too quickly.
That's stupid. There's no right speed to insert a card, you just insert it, it locks and reads it, you put your pin in and after it gets processed the machine says you can take the card out.
And how can you put it wrong, the chip is perfectly visible. All you have to remember is to put it with the chip facing up, it's no different from knowing which side the magnetic strip has to be on while swiping.

A credit card charges you a balance to be paid off every once a while, usually a month. If you don't pay off the full balance, what you don't pay will accrue interest, but if you're financially responsible and pay your balance in full every month it's essentially a debit card with benefits, one of them increasing your credit score and thus allowing you to get a better loan for your house and/or car.

What you described isn't a problem in any other country where chips and contactless payment has been the norm for a long time

>Americans just want to buy things not sit and fondle a credit card terminal.

That doesn't happen. You don't fondle anything, you just put it in for a few seconds, then take it. Wtf? You're just making shit up, this doesn't happen

You know they can be tracked in the US too. In any country, really. VISA, Mastercard, etc will cooperate with the authorities.

>So now we're breaking it down to like milliseconds of time processing the information?

It's not "milliseconds" at all. Remember that the vast majority of credit card terminals still use phone lines (ie a dual pair of copper cables) to process payment information. This means you have to sit at the machine for about a second as the machine reads it, then sends the message to the bank, then receives a confirmation of payment and displays a message telling you to remove the card. This takes about 2-3 seconds but it confuses people who are used to just a swipe.

It's even worse at large grocery stores or walmart, because on a busy day the phone line will clog up and everything is slow as shit. On black friday it takes about 10-20 seconds for the new reader to process the payment while a swipe machine will always work immediately.

Why would that be a bad thing?

Are you some sort of super criminal

>This is another reason why chip-and-pin machines are such a hassle: there's so many different types of special snowflake cards. You got chip-and-pin, apple pay, TAP, whatever proprietary shit your local transit agency uses, your phone's RFID, bluetooth, and google wallet. Or you can just use a swipeable magnetic card.

All our cards are the same here, and all forms contact-less only work on Payment terminal's, not at ATM's

Public transport is largely nationalized so you just need one separate card for that.

>be me at work
>canadian tourist customer
>tries to sneak some canadian coins in with his american coins for some reason
>it's really obvious
>pretend not to notice because I just want him to leave
>he winks at me and tips me a "loonie"

>There's no right speed to insert a card, you just insert it

WRONG

In America have to insert it chip side up with the chip facing towards the machine. Any other way will result in a no-read or failed read. ATMs in particular are extremely picky about this.

What is preventing the Chilean government from doing this?
Do you pay for everything in cash?

I thought sweden was getting rid of cash

No fucking shit.
Read the rest of the post.

At this point I think you're pretending to be retarded.

Even if he were, he can always use cash to avoid being tracked.

And why is that an issue? I'm in Chicago, and chip readers are dime a dozen here. Isn't any more difficult than swiping the right way.

>This takes about 2-3 seconds but it confuses people who are used to just a swipe.

So do it like 5 times and you get un-confused. Wtf? How low is american IQ that they get confused by doing something slightly differently?

It's like those autists in the movies who wear the same clothes everyday and eat the same food and if the fork is in the wrong spot their brain goes haywire and it fucks up their whole day and they go insane.

>This takes about 2-3 seconds but it confuses people who are used to just a swipe.

I was used to just swiping too.

When my bank sent me my new card with a chip I had to get reminded by the cashier "Insert the chip instead of swiping:)" and then you just do it, I don't get how you can get confused by that

I'm not even sure why i'm getting mad right now but i feel your logic is indicative of other americans thinking and aversion to common sense

Are you implying your government doesn't track all major card payments?

Mexico is a country filled with half-bred idiots including me, but even we can insert a card in the right way and remember a 4 digits pin.
Cards are actually required by law to have chips.

I use The chip for everything. Much more superior. And safer. I qonder if there os a way to deactivate The dtrip tjo?

Why are Americans that stupid?

There are losing so much money with banking fraud each year and they still don't want to introduce chips because they are afraid of breaking habits, and how it could "make people slower".

>I qonder if there os a way to deactivate The dtrip tjo?
You can just scratch the magnetic strip and it shouldn't work anymore.

Why would you want to enter a pin? Swiping is easier desu

>There are losing so much money with banking fraud each year

It's not really that bad, the customers get refunded by the banks and insurance takes care of it.

But yeah americans really are retarded, just going through the conversation with the one in this thread it's insane how people actually believe this and are so averse to better technology

>So do it like 5 times and you get un-confused.

now multiply that across every single credit and debit card holder. Merchants are already mad that they have to replace their terminals, they don't want people not walking in because they'd sit there and fuss with their card. This is an actual issue that the Commerce Dept brought up, and is the reasoning behind keeping the magnetic strip as a back up.

>When my bank sent me my new card with a chip I had to get reminded by the cashier "Insert the chip instead of swiping:)"

Most cashiers don't know how to do it either and again 5 timeouts means they have to stop everything and call their manager. 10 timeouts means the customer's credit card is no longer functional and they loose a customer. Which is why most will instead just take the card and punch in the number directly, as the terminal itself is completely avoided that way.

notice how half your country (if not more) is oaxaca tier and thus doesn't have any banks in the first place

It's catching on finally in my city. The worst is

>go to new store
>try to insert chip
>"nah we don't got dat new fangle chipy machine"
>mfw

literally only a problem in America.

It's worked for us and worked for europe. You're telling me this like i'm proposing some new, untested piece of technology with all these crazy flaws and uncertainties.

When it's been here for years and we haven't had a problem.

credit card fraud isn't that common of a problem, and as long as you have good credit the bank will wipe it off. It's only a major concern for debit cards but those require a PIN. Remember that the whole point of credit cards is convenience, otherwise people would use cash or check. Making it harder in any way negates the purpose of the entire system.

Where the fuck do you live that people are too stupid to figure out a chip reader or use an ATM?

>Merchants are already mad that they have to replace their terminals

They're more mad about having to replace their terminals....

rather than having to deal with the clusterfuck of dealing with rampant credit card fraud???

>credit card fraud isn't that common of a problem

lmfao look up how many American credit cards get stolen per year approximately.

Your shit has been getting sold dirt-cheap on the internet for like the last 15 years

what the fuck do you think taxes are

>Remember that the whole point of credit cards is convenience, otherwise people would use cash or check.
How the hell is a card more convenient than cash?

Credit is a big institution in here, even in the lowest classes there are low income stores that offer you financial support with a low interest rate. Most people, even those who work as maids, have at least one sort of card they use to pay for their house's furniture.
But I know you don't read any of these because you're just another burger. So Burrito burrito Taco, Donkey Donkey Arre Arre Arriba Mariachi Piñata

Never leave home without it, I might need it to bribe slippery government officials.

>It's worked for us and worked for europe.

Yes, countries that also have government subsidized fiber optic internet. Again, see my point here that the actual broadband internet infrastructure for chip-and-pin terminals doesn't exist inside of most stores because it's more expensive than telephone lines. That's why merchants don't force it in the first place. Then, on top of that you have the basic problem of getting people to do something that requires a lot more thought than an arm swipe.

For context, think about all the credit card debt Americans have. We have more than any other first world country and we didn't get there by making credit card transactions require any thought. It is literally a situation where people can spend huge amounts of money by just waving their hand a few inches. Making this require effort is not a thing anyone is interested in doing especially when it would cost a lot of money (to install proper internet) to do so.

Think outside of the box here: America is not Canada and America is not Europe.

>How the hell is a card more convenient than cash?

Easier to keep track of, don't have to count change, can't get stolen/robbed/lost

>rather than having to deal with the clusterfuck of dealing with rampant credit card fraud???

how does that affect a business in any way when it's the individual employee that is responsible for committing the crime

>lmfao look up how many American credit cards get stolen per year approximately.

look at how many cars get stolen every year, yet it's not a concern for most people either.

I just shutter and struggle to imagine how fucking idiotic americans are in some ways.

Your country is the richest country by far, the most successful and SUPPOSE to be a shining beacon to the rest of the world. But then in some ways it's so fucked up and retarded it's unbelievable

Good post.

>when it's the individual employee that is responsible for committing the crime

Wat?

It's not an employee it's a criminal stealing your credit card info via magnetic strip, writing it to a blank card then going to a store and buying shit with your credit card you dumbfuck

That causes headaches for companies because when the customer calls the bank and says "What the fuck, I never spent $5000 at the apple store on new iPhones and iPads" and the bank cancels the charges, the store doesn't get paid. So now they lost money on the merchandise. They have insurance and shit but I'm not sure how that all works, whether the bank covers the loss, or bank's insurance or companies or whatever

>look at how many cars get stolen every year, yet it's not a concern for most people either

.... It's much less of a problem. also that's not an argument. It's hard to prevent cars getting stolen, but this is very easy to prevent, it's literally this simple

We legit don't care what you think, ultimately it's American customers that have to figure out how dip/chip-and-pin cards work and American merchants that have to install broadband internet to make the new dip ports in the new (expensive) terminals run properly. At the end of it all, the present technology satisfies all parties. The only people who want chip-and-pin are a handful of soccer moms and credit card companies who lobbied the government into forcing everyone to adopt it. But even then the government realized that most merchants are jews and most Americans are stupid so they kept the magnetic strip as a "legacy" option.

The only winners here are people who wanted a false sense of security and companies that make the new machines.

Absolutely. Buying a house or a car with cash isn't unheard of around here.

>and American merchants that have to install broadband internet to make the new dip ports in the new (expensive) terminals run properly

Your company is the richest in the world by far

You can't afford that? ...

>That causes headaches for companies because when the customer calls the bank and says "What the fuck, I never spent $5000 at the apple store on new iPhones and iPads" and the bank cancels the charges, the store doesn't get paid. So now they lost money on the merchandise.

And the solution is to require ID for all credit/debit purchases, which most stores do. This costs $0, will never fail and solves the problem entirely.

>also that's not an argument

It is an argument. Are you also going to argue for a total gun ban just because every year someone dies after accidentally shooting themselves in the face?

Do Americans tip the cashier at grocery stores?

who the fuck cares about "richest country"? All that matters is that buying things is easy. How is this so difficult for you to get?

>For context, think about all the credit card debt Americans have. We have more than any other first world country and we didn't get there by making credit card transactions require any thought.
Than how did you get there?

> It is literally a situation where people can spend huge amounts of money by just waving their hand a few inches. Making this require effort is not a thing anyone is interested in doing especially when it would cost a lot of money (to install proper internet) to do so.
Do you honestly think that having to spend five seconds to enter a pin in going to prevent anyone from buying something?

>It is an argument

No... It isn't an argument

>Here's a proven way to reduce a problem (fraud) dramatically without impeding on any other major quality of life aspects
>WHAT??? BUT PEOPLE DIE IN AIRPLANES FROM TERRORIST ATTACKS, WHY DON'T YOU JUST BAN FLYING THEN YOU CAN'T PREVENT ISSUES WTF

I'm convinced he's just baiting at this point, because I refuse anyone can be this fucking dense.

>card
>can't get stolen/robbed/lost

>All that matters is that buying things is easy. How is this so difficult for you to get?

how low does your IQ and lack of thinking need to be that using a slightly different hand movement to insert your credit card into a terminal deters someone from buying things and saying "you know what? fuck this i'm just going to go home" and get upset?

Sounds like something the memes would say about fat americans in scooters

>>card
>>can't get stolen/robbed/lost

If your credit card gets stolen or lost you call your credit card company and get it immediately cancelled within 2 minutes.

if your cash is stolen it is lost forever

>Than how did you get there?

by being able to swipe and go. Not sitting there trying to get a card to work, which is when people can get cold feet and walk out without buying anything especially if their card is locked out.

>Do you honestly think that having to spend five seconds to enter a pin in going to prevent anyone from buying something?

yes, that's why Americans have credit cards and not debit cards. And, as mentioned here and here it often takes at least 10-20 seconds if there's a lot of sales due to the physical constraints of telephone lines (ie, two pairs of braided copper wires).

You must be the biggest retard I have come across on this forum.

Fuck you leaf. You call us dumb but dont even realize that chip-and-pin is just a scam by the banks to shift the burden of credit theft off themselves and onto the consumer. Also, chip cards are every bit as easy to skim as strip cards - there are smartphone apps for it

Way to live up to the stereotype of the snarky hipster canuck, yoga hoser leafaggot