Windows 7

SO I got a new build w/Coffee Lake CPU but I'm not parting with w7 just yet, got around the whole 3.0 USB driver shebang and it's all installing at a steady pace.

Any other anons out there who refuse to update to botnet10? How are you holding up? Got enough documentation lined up for modding drivers etc but I'm bound to run into compatibility problems, any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lRV6PXB6QLk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

7 user here, Athlon II X4 620 that's soon going to be retired for a Q9400.

It's easy to hold up. M$ cut their own twig by adding the option to never install updates. I haven't experienced any side effect of doing this.

I'm running a ryzen 1600, gigabyte gaming 3 mobo, which like coffee lake are not supported.
No problems whatsoever, gigabyte even provides a tool for installing windows using a 3.0 port
Still getting MS updates so no need to do workarounds for that either, but then again I only opt for security patches.

As for drivers, most if not all drivers designed for Kaby Lake should work on it, unless Intel really went full Jew and made drivers for 8.1 and up only.

>Nanafags still refuse to become Aipon master race

Enjoy your wannacry or newer ransomware when Microsoft blocks your updates.

The only thing I ran into with my Ryzen 7 1700X was having to use a PS\2 keyboard for Windows installation and manually copy USB 3.0 drivers to a spare HDD.

Only idiots get viruses

Fucking hell, you luddites are the reason we can't have good things. Stop making the life of developers difficult by forcing us to support deprecated OSes that lack the latest standardized runtimes and frameworks.

Windows 7 is 8 years old.
Eight.
E I G H T.

I don't know how much compability issues there is to be had..
Except for the usb3 thing, there is little new in the new cpu's/chipsets.. Its still more or less just Sandy Bridge with some enhancements as far as I know, so drivers shouldn't be a problem.

Literally the only thing w10 is bringing to the table is dx12, everything else feels like a step back from w7.

I'm still on x58 with a x5660 running 4.2ghz, will be more than enough cpu power for years to come, so not too concerned in the hw department.

I'm not sure about how much less of a botnet w7 is compared to 10, but I am sure I'll never use w10 as it is now.

The only reason I'll have to update to something newer is if some game in the future won't run with dx11, but that's years off still.

We can only hope they have come out with something good again without all the bullshit by then, but I seriously doubt that.

You the one from the speccy thread about a week ago with the e7600? If so, what mobo did you get?

>windows 7
>depracated

>Literally the only thing w10 is bringing to the table is dx12

Stop repeating this meme, W10 brings dozens of extremely useful new features, far from "just dx12". Three just off the top of my head is the Linux subsystem, native virtual desktops manager, and automatic WINUSB driver installation.

Yeah keep sarcastically linking to other boards as if that makes my statement less true

>If so, what mobo did you get?
It's going to be here on Monday. ABIT AB9 Quad GT and a Q9400. Also getting a new PSU, a Sirtec - High Power Element 500W, model HPC-500-G12S.

As for the E7600, I might add some RAM to it and sell it.

Windows 7 still has 2 years of support.
The only thing 7 receive now is just secure/botnet updates who probably aren't so different from win10.

step 1 buy amd
step 2 install gentoo
step 3 profit!

Why another old chipset board and not a p45? I doubt you'll get much overclocking done with a p965 if that was your plan..
I hope the psu is new and not used atleast, they degrade over time.

Anyway, if everything works I'm sure it'll be a nice performance boost over the athlon x4 :)

P965 supports 45nm CPUs with a BIOS update so not really much of a problem.

That and my other choices were a MSI PM9M-V w/ Celeron 420, Gigabyte GA-945P-DS3, ASRock G41-M-S and a MSI P35 Platinum that supposedly has a dead NIC.

As for the PSU, it's second hand, however it's in a pretty good shape, almost unused.

Also, not planning on doing too much of a OC. Max. OC would be to 3GHz, and given the chip already runs at 2.66GHz, that wouldn't be much of a OC that the P965 wouldn't support.

You people keep forgetting w10 is an OS built around one function: collecting user data.

That's why it was free. That's why they keep pushing updates that revert any mods that break that function. MS built an OS that doesn't comply with its user, why would you EVER consider a product like that?

>MSI P35 Platinum
Damn that board looks rad, def whould have taken that one and just added a pcie nic.
Dem pipes.

But yeah 3ghz shouldn't be a problem, tho those chips are easily capable of 3.6-3.7ghz on an ok'ish air cooler on p35/p45, even g41/43.
My first itx pc was a zotac g43 with a q9450 running 3.4ghz, just glued on heatsinks on the vrms.

Actually I had a Abit IP35-Pro too, but a bad psu fucking killed it :(

Upgrade already.

Yeah, according to the seller, it says it restarts a lot until it actually works, and NIC acts like there's no ethernet cable although the cable is plugged.

Not sure what the culprit could be since it's all solid caps, however I suspect a DEER PSU that is causing the resets. (picture shows a few molex cables over the board, and all of them have yellow zip ties - typical for Deer, I have two units with that kind of zip ties)

Also, my bad. It's a P35 Neo2-FR, although that doesn't really matter since it's just the Platinum board with a red "P35 Neo2-FR" sticker over it.

About the AB9 Quad GT, I'm pretty sure it's a later revision that supports 45nm chips out of the box, since the seller claims to have run a Q9450 w/8GB RAM just fine on that board.

It's x86-64 user, you will be fine. There should be iGPU drivers for the windows server 2008 r2 which should be compatible with win7, and if your disks and usb ports are working you have already solved everything else.

>not using PS/2 keyboard by default

>not using PS/2 keyboard by default
That thing is still on motherboards of current year?

anyone that wants to do it but dosent know how use the waik windows automated instlation kid to inject usb3 drivers into the win pe iso of win 7 and the actually installed image i think you could use image x to apply the custom driver in jected image but be sure to inject drivers into that aswell and if you cant find win 7 usb3 drivers you can use win 8 drivers in most cases also if the motherboard has a ps2 port its easy as heck

I put W7 on a new build just as 10 was coming out, and while I've got years of life to still get from this PC I wouldn't do it again. It'll be at end of life by then anyway.

You soothe my worries

it requires a bit of fucking around thou i know how to do it cus i did the win 7 mcts

I used XP until 2012
Your point?

>Linux subsystem, native virtual desktops manager, and automatic WINUSB driver installation.
Lunix is my main OS, I never needed virtual desktops, and your "automatic driver installer" does more harm than good, when updates keep installing broken drivers over working ones.

Funny you say that, earlier statements have said w7 would enjoy support 'till 2020.
Recently out of the blue MS condemned w7 users to not receive updates with Coffee Lake processors.

What gets me though is that with my Z370 mobo came a driver disc with.. w7 drivers.
So this mobo that is currently only made for Coffee Lake and no earlier CPUs comes with w7 drivers, on top of that the 'blocked' Intel drivers seem easily modable
wtf is Microsoft even doing?

>wtf is Microsoft even doing?
Successfully being a raging retard?

>not the user you were replying to btw

Honestly I couldn't care less what they're doing. Their condemnation apparently isn't relevant to manufacturers and it sure as hell isn't relevant to us. We did what we needed for the time being. And yeah, I'll cross that Jan 2020 bridge when we get to it. For what it's worth my laptop came with 8.1, I took the upgrade to 10 and it's been fine for me too. All of this can be readily classified as "fine."

>the user you were replying to

Most boards have combined kb/mouse port. Actually like 3 years ago most decent mechanical keyboards used PS/2.

>What is firewall? What is vm?
Also disable features that you dont need, like smb.

toko a cute

>What gets me though is that with my Z370 mobo came a driver disc with.. w7 drivers.
It's not like microsoft recorded that disk.
The thing is, MS can't forbid manufacturers from supporting their hardware with drivers. And there is no such thing as CPU drivers in the first place.

but old and/or cheap computers cant run botnet 10 smoothly.

Yes they can, Win 10 doesn't use any more resources than Win 7, especially if you turn off most of the eyecandy.

windows 10 is worse than 7 and only a little better than 8. also, windows 10 doesnt bring any new useful features (there are no dx12-only games for ex.) And I unironically prefer cygwin to linux subsystem.

I upgraded my old laptop from 7 to 10. It had so bad performance that i had to reinstall 7. I installed all updates (fall creators update included) to win10. I suspect that """Telemetry""" is one of the biggest reasons why win10 has shit performance. Apart from performance issues, every new update to win10 breaks something. Btw, Is it really true that m$ fired their windows testing team?

Well there's this chubby little precious dev who got laid off and says with him his entire testing team:
youtu.be/lRV6PXB6QLk

Wouldn't surprise me. The tech industry is trying 'joint development', doesn't really work on such a massive product like an OS imho but hey, you get loads of free user data to play with so I get MS decision