Containers

Containers do you fuck with them?
What would be the best setup for a "production" ready environment with no support?
What are the best alternatives to Docker?

bump

nontoy systems such as seL4.

Do I fuck with containers... Very interesting... Haven't tried it yet, but sure will. Just need to find the filthiest one.

This board is made only for AMD and Nvidia war or what?

container = bloat
vm = bloat
statically compile your binaries for multiple platforms.

Containers are for hassle-free installation of stuff that needs multiple dependencies and configuring that could sometimes break other stuff, and then running multiple instances of that container with different configurations.

But, but...
>muh bloat
>muh security
>muh stability

I don't see feasible to have a production ready environment with no support.

However I'm more inclined towards isolated vms but that's only for having a better resource assignment.

If it's not SaaS oriented I should definitely prefer containers because end users are stupid

Even if I hate bloat and agree with you ... You don't have a job, don't you ? :'(

t. sad wageslave wagelet

Then cut down your legs because you clearly shot yourself in the foot.

docker has ez pz resource assignment even in swarm mode

plus it's heaven on earth in development because of how easy it is to manage multiple database engines and whatnot

Body = bloat. Mind uploading when.

>Muh simple monolithic application in just C

At work we have a RHEL subscription that costs 30K€ a year I opened the first support ticket (in 4 years) just to renew our subscription.

Basically 120K€ gone "just in case we need support"

Fuck that.

Who is this siphoning-balls mermaid?

Docker is pretty good.
For BSD jails is where it's at and they're pretty good.
For Linux you can also use lxc/lxd. If you plan on using Linux I'd really recommend learning what namespaces and cgroups are and how to use them.

Containers are great.

Docker is free on RHEL?

Docker only officially supports the enterprise edition for RHEL which comes with support and other enterprise stuff.
However they do support the community edition for CentOS so you can add the CentOS Docker repo to RHEL and get the free Docker CE for free.

Anyone used Proxmox VE? Is it good?

pls respond

t. NEET

t. brainlet wagie

yes
if its not about apple, microsoft, linux distros, amd, intel, nvidia, or games - OUT

stfu

Yeah. I like it better then ESXI.
I used it with multiple nodes. Worked fine. Also the ability to use LXC containers is nice since it also spares a lot of resources compared to full blown vm's.

What are you hosting on it? labs? production?

I used 2 servers for a school project. The servers were a bit old and not that impressive however since I've used more hypervisors I have to say Proxmox gave me the best experience compared to the others. Rescources were a bit scarce since the servers were old and utilizing more containers instead of vm's also helped.

All in all take it with a grain of salt since I've only used it for a couple of months and not on a personal server environment (I'm poor) but I liked it.

Ok
So no one running critical stuff on Promox?

I use both VM's and containers. Dockers have less overhead and are fast and easy (even more so than VM's) to set up. However containers are still new, not everything is supported. VM's just werk

spotted the Arch fag

Is docker really as portable as it's advertised?
Can Docker image made on Linux run on any distribution of linux that has Docker?

bump

If the CPU architecture is the same, yes.

> "production" ready environment with no support

Yeah, good luck with that. You can get away with no support for some stuff, but if you're of a size that you're considering VMs vs containers, having no support for your entire deployment platform is asking for trouble. You WILL fuck up devops sooner or later, or you'll hit some edge case bug and the downtime will be your fault.

What do you mean exactly by support?

hundred of thousands "just in case"
>You WILL fuck up devops sooner or later, or you'll hit some edge case bug and the downtime will be your fault.
As opposed to the fault the support for your devops fuck up?

>container
>some app manages to crash the host OS
>everything dies

>Not having multiple host OSs orchestated by Kubernetes, and multiple Kubernetes clusters
It's like you don't want to have 5 9s.

There is no kernel requirements?

Only that you can run Docker. However, some resource limits might not work.

are "containers" like jails in bsd but with catchy name ?