Intel compute stick vs refurbished desktop pc which should I go for?

Intel compute stick vs refurbished desktop pc which should I go for?

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_764521.html?wid=21
youtube.com/watch?v=2w45ZOcXXzs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They both look about the same size so whichever is cheaper and easier to get I guess

refurbished desktop of course

Kek

this

Kek

this

Whats the power consumption on the stick?

nice

What is your intended use?

How powerful is the stick? I would get one of they are at least Core2Duo tier

Get a NUC or something.
Compute sticks will annoy you with fan whirring if you try to do anything remotely intensive.

5v
2,50w during idle
8,0w during load

Web browsing, 1080p video streaming, utilizing x86 programs.

Local university surplus has used machines with sandy or ivy bridge quad cores for $50. Give yours a look.

Atom x5-Z8300
1,44GHz standard
1,84GHz turbo
2GB DDR3-RAM

>2GB DDR3
why tho

>still have to deal with coppermine celerons at uni
>some 1st world fags are throwing away quad core IBs

Because I'm poorfag

> refurbished desktop pc

get that one you can upgrade that to something else like a ryzen apu at some point.

This is utter shit.

Even that HP will have Core2Duo (or maybe even Extreme or CoreQuad) which is faster than Atom, up to 8Gb of RAM, a shitton of storage and ports...
You can even install Xeon.
Don't bother with sticks - they ALL suck.
Either NUC or a refub PC, believe me.

Hey, OP. I just picked up a refurbished Optiplex 7010MT for a real good price.
Fucking love the thing.
Can't really modify a Compute Stick very well. Always go for the modular option when given the opportunity.

where do you buy referb PC's from?

Unless you live in a coffin apartment, go for the desktop box.

how much did it go for?

second hand websites and ex lease office suppliers

Got the 3rd-gen i7 variant for $200.

Is there any guide for buying used/refurb workstations? Sorta like all the thinkpad shit?

where'd you get it? i can only find third gen i5s for that price

Not that I know of. I think I recall threads like that back in the day, but this /tpg/ shit has gotten way outta hand. /tpg/ + /csg/ kinda overshadow other "bargain" threads.
The board could benefit from an Optiplex infographic/general, in my opinion. They're affordable business machines with decent hardware ootb. And, like Thinkpads, there's no shortage of second-hand and refurbished models. In fact, it's not unlikely that you'll find scenes like pic related at most medium-sized businesses.
I really, really lucked out. I purchased mine from a local MicroCenter. The price really shocked me, since the i7-3770 still goes for, like, ~$150-$200 on the aftermarket.
/tpg/ gets a lot of shit, but they're right: finding a suitable, affordable machine free of cosmetic damage takes a decent amount of time and effort. Best thing to do is familiarize yourself with the price of hardware and when you see a deal, lunge at it.

>tfw Your'll never have that many PC you can play around with.
>tfw your wife wount let you take all these Pc's home because of the kids.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is there something like an Optiplex with plenty of 2.5" drive bays in the smallest form factor possible with all these drive bays? I'd like to set up a small NAS with like 10 unused laptop HDDs that i have but most SFFs can use only one or two drives.

Yeah such a guide or infographic would be awesome. I'm looking for a desktop with some decent power since I'm sick of doing everything on a laptop, but I'm also more or less destitute, a used workstation would fit the bill perfectly.

All I need is a quad core or better CPU with decent speed, decent amount of RAM, and dual link DVI, which are all pretty basic for such machines right?

Any tips on which models of optiplex to look out for?

Refurbished Desktop PC of course.
For as little as $50 you can get a Q6600, which is dated, but still usable and viable.
Intel GMA sucks ass though, not sure how the Compute Stick compares regarding the (likely just as poor) graphical horsepower.
Ideally, you'd opt for something like a Optiplex or HP Elite with Sandy Bridge i5 at the very least.

Just picked up a Dell Precision with quad core xeon and 24 gb ram for only 150. I'd get something like that.

android tv is better

Fpbp

>All I need is a quad core or better CPU with decent speed, decent amount of RAM
You pretty much described the thinkpad t440p, the full voltage quad cores in that thing have similar singlecore performance to the fucking ryzen 7 desktop cpus.

>and dual link DVI
well not this, but the docking station has vga + dvi + displayport and it lets you use the laptop as a desktop with all your peripherals

damn I could use an upgrade. my gaming console rig is still running an i3

>tfw Your'll never have that many PC you can play around with

I have shit like that at work, it gets old really fucking fast

>jewtel idling overtemperature crashing stick
no thx

Let's see, one has upgradeability, expandability, and is somewhat customizable.

The other is small and has a MicroSD slot.

>OP will choose the stick like the fag he is.

I actually just found a nice machine. Are ThinkPad desktop Sup Forums approved?

That's the curse of the SFF and USFF PCs: not a whole lot of room to house multiple HDDs. Certainly nothing like 10 drives in RAID. You might be able to find some old ThinkServer, though. Maybe consider looking into a HDD Storage Array?
>Quad core CPU
>Decent RAM
>Dual Link DVI
All standard fare. You'll probably want to consider upgrading the stock PSU if you want to bug out with a GPU, however. Most of these things come with really shitty 275W units. Corsair has some pretty nice 500W units that fit the weird-ish chassis of some Optiplexes quite well.
I'll always recommend the 7010. 7050 and 7040 are the newer iterations, so they're gonna be pretty expensive right off the shelf. I've seen a few people do some pretty neat shit with 990s and 790s.
Try to avoid the SFF and USFF builds if you can. Desktop and Mini Tower are superior.

This sounds a tad too expensive for the specs, unless that last line says that it includes a monitor.

why are you overspending on ancient shit? save your shekels and just buy something good

is it really that bad in europoor land?

>Desktop and Mini Tower are superior.
if you don't like resirctions SFF ain't for you.

that said a GT1030 with mini bracket should be okay for a GPU inside a SFF

there's also the energy issue. a desktop is going to use more electricity and drive your costs up

literally the only reason (after space) against a desktop
but imo it's better to not have anything than stick shit. RPi3 is better even

hardly what $5 a month more?

>That's the curse of the SFF and USFF PCs: not a whole lot of room to house multiple HDDs. Certainly nothing like 10 drives in RAID.
Well i could deal with even four drives but haven't been able to find anything SFF that holds more than 2. Also used hardware of course, nothing new since it'll only be used as babby's home nas with a couple of used laptop drives, nothing fancy.

not in yoorope, though

Nah it's just me. 2017 was difficult year for me financially but this month I will have a better credit and with the 120€ that I have left I want to buy a computer of it because I have been waiting for too long now.

one 3.5 bay can hold like 2-3 SSDs
2 bays x 2 SSDs sounds quite enough
+ like 4 in 5.25 instead of DVD drive

Yes the electricity prices are fixed here.

save your money don't splurge
you can do much better for only a small amount more

extra 50 W x 12 hours x 30 days = 18 kWh
18 kWh x 0.20€ = 3.6€ / month

>12 hours
kek

assuming a normal person here

I know this is the very nature of electronics but I want a cheapo computer now not a high end computer maybe in the long run.

$180 for a new dell t30.

I need the dual link though for muh 30" monitor. I also have a thunderbolt or whatever adaptor to use with my MBP but it's a janky piece of shit.

The t440p's dock actually is DVI-D dual link.

Nice. Is there any reason though to buy a laptop instead of a desktop for specifically desktop use? Won't the desktop have better thermals?

>>tfw your wife wount let you take all these Pc's home because of the kids.
Wife? What is that?

The battery could work as a pseudo-UPS i guess but yeah aside from the mobility not really. It's still an option though.

$5 Steamlink and stream you main pc to your tv

/thread

>rig

I bought one of those for $25 from hardware liquidators last year. lel

I laughed.

>wife (husband)

You can get better specs with a screen and a keyboard if you buy a Thinkpad.

>coppermine celerons
what kind of school do you go to where you can still find >100nm process chips being used?

Are you trusting that old, almost destroyed HDD that might have been intercepted by CIA niggers and loaded with pedo stuff to later blackmail you?
Its fucking 160 GB what can you even store there?

First gen compute stick is totally anemic and can't do shit. It also has pretty bad linux support.

Better off getting a chinese android box or a fire stick or something.

Otherwise if you want to run non-media software the sff desktop will be a better buy

Falcon guide?

Where do you get those prices?

even NUC's suck to be honest

There are many adaptors that let you put two 2.5 inch drives in one 3.5 inch slot

There's also adapters that let you put one 3.5 + one 2.5 in a 5.25 bay, which means you can slap three more laptop hdds in your dvd slot

Fuck no. They come with a 2.5A charger and if you use anything rated for less they will shut down because of power loss (like on fullscreen youtube playback). Try more like 15W at load

depends on your use situation. if you want it to be a nas/media center then you're outta luck with a compute stick unless you have another machine that already serves that purpose or rely totally on streaming

you could always get something like an icydock to go with it

>gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_764521.html?wid=21
better than a stick?

user wih an Optiplex 7010. Definitely a refurbed shitbox, intel compute sticks are useless for anything other than browsing.

Mine is a i5-3570 in the Desktop formfactor (DT, discontinued in later optiplexes), which was the most powerful 4 core/4 thread option.
It's a solid machine honestly, the construction quality is bretty sturdy (mine was fucking dropped on it's corner and it just bent)
It has 4 DIMM slots (I have 2x4G sticks for dual channel) and a 250W power supply (enough but it would've been mint if it was rated for 300W but then again I've heard people successfuly equipping one with something like 1050Ti with no issues).
One thing I'm seriously bummed about is that it comes with only 3 SATA headers.

Also avoid Fujitsu stuff - they have a shitty proprietary PSU that only has a 12V rail that noone else uses or makes.

I just realized Dells desktop line has so much better looks than Lenovo. I love my Thinkpad but to my eye an Optiplex is so much prettier than a Thinkcentre.

>Mans Up, marries her, and breeds her
>tfw your wife wount let you

nuc

I scored a Core 2 quad core with a legit windows from a Newegg buyout, maxed ram for $90, perfect for mother upgrade PC from the old singlecore that was limping along.

fuck is there a low wattage one?

youtube.com/watch?v=2w45ZOcXXzs

1050 ti lp with stock psu

if you're going to plug into your tv and don't it want to take alot of space then go computestick. general purpose refurbished.

hope this was a couple years ago user, because for $90 you can get an optiplex 7010 with i5 3570 or an i7 2600

They look really good now that they've gotten passed their "paint plastic to look like metal" aesthetic. I really like their newest design language. It's very clean, and it treats the materials honestly.

I'd love to build a Beowulf cluster out of all those. Even though it would probably have less computational power than a single modern rack server it would be a fun project. I probably wouldn't keep it up and running very much because that would cost a fortune in electricity

>beowulf cluster
back to slashdot

Why hasn't your uni modernized user? The college which I go to works completely wirelessly, everyone works on their own laptop.

There's a lot of refurbished PCs that have 3rd Gen. i3s and 2nd Gen. i5s though.
OP doesn't strictly need to pick up one with a C2D right?

>>Are you trusting that old, almost destroyed HDD that might have been intercepted by CIA niggers and loaded with pedo stuff to later blackmail you?
>What is formatting your fucking HDD

>>Its fucking 160 GB what can you even store there?
Surely more than those ~21 GBs that the stick prolly has.