>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

Why software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT gnu/linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yDKyARqjypQ
kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/
suckless.org/rocks
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=yDKyARqjypQ

Why is void hipster?

Will bitcoind run on a void/alpine base system?

Does the void install script set up FDE?

How can I rip GNOME out of my Debian buster install without breaking it?

Stop making this pointless thread.

You can't. It's impossible. It's a clusterfuck. Don't do it. Just do a fresh install of Debian (NET ISO)

t. mad arch faggot

Thanks. Also, how do I compile a minimal kernel for Debian?

Also
>GNU
>not bloat

Has anyone installed StaLi?

Can you even do anything with it?

I mean, do you know what you are doing? Why do you even want to do that anyway

Not really. Am I better off just compiling a vanilla kernel and using that?

unfortunately, I might have to switch from void back to Arch. Allowing discards (periodic trim) on a single encrypted void/MBR partition seems impossible. :(

Have you ever used Gentoo?

arch is bloated as fuck

for me they seem about the same because I use/want most of the dependencies pulled in by Arch. I'm at about 600 packages

600 packages is like 1,400 packages. Arch doesn't split packages

Once, but compiling packages was painful.

Maybe they don't split packages because it's not worthwhile to do so?

>OS
Void linux
>DE/WM
dwm
>Video/Music player
mpv/Spotify
>Image viewer
Gimp/rawtherapee for editing, but don't look at images otherwise.
>File Manager
shell
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
Firefox
>Terminal
st

Total packages:

reStructuredText vs Markdown

>OS
Debian Linux
>DE/WM
Xfce with icewm or just plain icewm
>Image Viewer
Feh/fim
>File Manager
Ranger/Thunar
>Text Editor
Emacs
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
Seamonkey
>Terminal
uxterm

>download arch iso
>more than 500 MB

How did they manage to make a system without GUI so bloated?

kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

idk

Don't talk to my waifu like that, faggot.

void is 300mb

arch fags can't answer this

>Debian testing
>i3
>mpv/deadbeef
>default xfce image viewer
>thunar
>vim
>bash
>botnet chrome
>xfce4-terminal

Kys.

What are you using seamonkey for?

>Implying Eurasian women aren't the best women out there

Firefox addon-compatibility and I don't want to use Firefox because that would involve installing more packages than I need

How much bloat is Network Manager?

Very. Use ethernet or wpa_supplicant. Wpa_supplicant isn't hard. I once thought it was, then the debian wiki showed me how to configure it and such.

Ethernet is pretty underrated

The sandman is arch linux. Rock lee is debian

I actually tried to do something minimalistic the other day. This was the setup...

>OS
Devuan GNU+Linux
>DE/WM
Initially jwm, later switched to a Openbox frankenstein with elements from XFCE and LXDE.
>Video/Music player
vlc
>File Manager
pcmanfm or Thunar, I don't remember.
>Text Editor
nano
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
Firesjw
>Terminal
lxterm

An *almost* fully working productive system which I could have used for /actual/ work and idled @ ~210MB RAM. My main reason for throwing away such setup was because I was having audio troubles with ALSA not outputting correctly to HDMI and didn't want to ruin it with PulseAudio.

Also init was OpenRC instead SysV because it helped me save a few MB of RAM - which is weird, as from what I know from inits OpenRC is kind of a (great) extension to SysV.

>not including debian in the bloat distros

Who /perfect/ here?

shut yo ass up hoe

the suckless founder gets lots of pussy i bet. Just look how chad he fucking looks

>minimalism thread

Why the fuck would you list Gentoo?
Don't be a fucking moron.

How do I go about debloating a fresh install of ubuntu mate?

Are you comfortable with the terminal?

>answering a question with a question.
Why do you feel the need to analyze someones ability when they ask a super simple question? Don't be a dickhead.

You use systemctl to disable services that you don't want to start and bam you are debloated.

He's asking a retarded question, i just think he is retarded.

It isn't a real question its some faggot populating his try hard general thread.

o-ok
old thread:

I suppose posting shit over and over is a form of legitimization on Sup Forums. You can try to normalize a shitty thread like this but when you put stupid shit like Gentoo in a minimalism thread anyone with an iq just north of 70 that has used Gentoo for more than 20 minutes is going to know your an idiot.

What distro do you use faggot? I would love to know

>LE MEMELISM
Why do you soycucks insist on doing pointless shit like debloating and ricing when you could actually be doing some cool shit?

Heh, triggered brainlet. No spoonfeeding here.

There isn't any spoonfeeding going on in these threads because the guy posting them is a fucking brainlet troll.

>doesn't answer my question
thats right fag

>systemd LFS
>bash
>tmux
>dwm
>st
>chrome binary directly from google
>mpv
>feh
>nano

Post desktop uwu

Sorry for not wanting to hold your hand and skip down some merry tangent where you can pretend the OS I'm using validates your narcissism. You are too fucking stupid to warrant a response.

psychedelics doesn't make you smart, nigger.

Neither does demanding arbitrary information unrelated to a discussion to prove imaginary points.

Just admit you do drugs.

Arch is minimal

I don't do any drugs.

Everyone in the thread thinks you're a faggot. If you agree with me, say yes.

>multi-line shell prompt
>zsh
Otherwise perfect.

arch is bloat. someone post the mail listing and.copy pasta

i had been looking for a lightweight program to read epubs with and finally found out that mupdf (and programs using mupdf as a backend) supports it.
so much nicer now.

gerl is cyoot tho

everything is here bby
suckless.org/rocks

Debian stable vs testing?
I've heard stable is better for servers, etc. and testing is more convenient for desktop use, as the packages are more up to date. Is that right?

I personally always use testing. Buster

>colored text
bloat

What debian calls testing is ubuntu's LTS. What debian calls unstable is ubuntu's running releases.

So yeah, you can use testing.

it is, but archkiddies think it's hardcore to not

Set up an Alpine system the other day and it was pretty easy going.

>OS
alpine
>DE/WM
dwm
>Video/Music player
ffplay
>Image viewer
ffplay
>File Manager
shell
>Text Editor
nvi
>Shell
ash
>Web Browser
elinks
>Terminal
st

why wouldn't you?

hi

Just reactivated my x61 that has been laying around for 2 years and I thought shit was fucked when all mirrors 404'd until I found out that Manjaro stopped supporting x32 a while ago. After switching mirrors it still runs great and gives me about 4-5 hours of battery life on this old as fuck battery. I'd say it's pretty minimal.

Beside memes, why people don't like Void? I use it a fair amount of time and I think it is pretty good.

I tried it a while back but the packages were a bit too out of date for me.

In particular I note they are still on LLVM4 but I need LLVM5 at least for some things.

I heard that a few times already. I've never had any kind of issue on that matter although it could be because I didn't do anything too specific.

When did you try it last time?

2 months or so ago.

I do prefer the ideas behind void to most distros but I just run Arch from a pragmatic approach these days. Larger package/userbase, the aur and I caring about bloat/ricing whilst nice in small chunks otherwise gets in the way of getting proper things I'd like done.

Seems like a faitly point. Also as you're using Arch you're not really giving anything in exchange, yet gainning some packages from AUR like you said.

First time installing gentoo and thinking about which tiling window manager to use. I am used to i3, is there any other wm worth trying ?

>Gentoo
>i3
>still have to install one
>feh
>nano
>zsh
>palemoon prob.
>urxvt

>minimalism
>linux
pick one

if you like i3 already, no

> having to compile indefinitely
A stupid question, actually.

Some nerd dickhead like you published a list of his autistic personal preferences and then decided to share his retarded rationale and rank it "philosophy".
> Hurr, Firefox sucks because it uses a NOT_KOOL_HANDLE for its download window. DURR, ME MAD.

but aren't you able to install not by source but just download binaries? I never installed it myself i just read it somewhere i think

>not BLOATMAXXXing your distro
Skinny soyboys should not be allowed on an interest board for a MASCULINE hobby like technology.

You see, the whole point for even considering Gentoo in the first place is the ability to compile the source with customised compiler options. For a gain of questionable measurability you still have to dedicate time and processing power to compilation. If you choose to go with generic binary packages you'd be better off with a well tested binary distribution.

It doesn't mean, though, that Gentoo is redundant. Is it good for ricing? Certainly. Is it minimal in every way? No, absolutely not.

Go away, linux is Soyboy territory
Back to /k/ or /o/

> Autistically chasing minimal package counts
I know it's an easily comparable e-peen figure but it's got to be one of the worst for measures of “bloat”. They're just files that sit on your system, not necessarily doing anything. I could install 5 tiny programs, or one “bloated” program that attempts to do 5 things and that would be better according to this thread.

Why no Trisquel mini?

>OS
Debian testing
>DE/WM
bspwm
>Image Viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger & pcmanfm
>Text Editor
nano & leafpad
>Shell
zsh
>Web Browser
luakit
>Terminal
urxvt

NO

no hes right, you're a brainlet bitch

My dick is soo hard right now

The fucking subject has GNU/Linux in it. No BSD or plan9 retards allowed. For fucks sake. I know GNU/Linux isn't autistically minimal like plan 9. Just get out holy fuck

>comes into thread
>shits on minimalism
stop

There is no minimalism in this thread.

testing doesn't get security updates (sid doesn't get them either but the fact that sid has it's packages upgraded as soon as they're deemed "not fucking shit up".

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)