Short background: studying CS in MIT, 25, first year, was a NEET for 4-5 years, crippling depression...

Short background: studying CS in MIT, 25, first year, was a NEET for 4-5 years, crippling depression, parents offered to pay for education or kick me out so I chose the former

Currently super depressed, skipped few lectures, not even sure if this is something I'd like to continue and work with etc.

How did you guys handle it? It feels like someone is adding pressure to my head, it fucking sucks. I love programming, math and stuff like that so why can't I enkoy this? ...

you were a neet for 5 years and then got into MIT?

I also would feel like shit if I dropped out because my parents are paying for it and they're too kind, but I am not so keen this is what I want to do. Fuck fuck fuck

me too, I just want to finish and get the degree so I can go do something probably unrelated. If my parents and grandparents weren't paying for my school I probably would have dropped out a long time ago.

Good grades from HS, scored well on SAT etc.

I don't really like the campus and the atmosphere here. I'd probably be happier in a smaller college.

Just commit suicide and get it over with.

its because you have a mental illness, depression. everything will feel like an overburden
chore and there will be barely any pleasure. you must try and get healthier and treat it, otherwise
life is going to be torture, no matter what road you're on.

What are you studying and what do you want to do after you're done with it? I've always wanted to be a train driver because I heard the pay isn't shit and it's a job that requires no interaction with people but I love programming and solving bugs..

>tfw cs major
>already know i 100% dont want to work in industry or program ever
>just getting this degree to say i got it and then do something unrelated with my loser life
>only really here because of scholarship
>tfw a massive waste of potential

Toughen the fuck up soldier.
Finish it and get a job. Let your parents relax. And then if you really like the other path, do part time studies and fund it with your own salary.
No use whining and flunking your studies in order to rebel.
Your parents will get even more worried. That will prompt them to attempt to control you more, not relax their grip on your life.

Main goal is to get them off your back. Once they have got nothing on you, you are a free person.

How do you even treat depression? Most people are depressed because they can't have a job that pays well or because they didn't get in a good school. These are the biggest factors to depression in modern age. Would a pill solve it? No. Absolutely not.

I'm studying electrical engineering but I kinda want to make bikes or something. I've been trying to find other ways to make money online so I can travel and do whatever I want as well, anything but a 9-5.

I didn't speak to anyone for three years at one time in my life after I graduated HS. This is hard for me, I should've joined the navy to hit me with a reality check after I finished HS. I'm so dumb, yet I have no issues working on math and solving things. Oh well..

Bicycles or motorcycles?

bicycles, motorcycles are too complicated and regulated. I can just repaint some chinese carbon frame and throw on a stock groupset for bicycles.

wrong board

you can still join the armed forces, faggot.

There are many reasons depression might be triggered. Two ways of thinking about it: there is a chemical imbalance or there is something wrong with your outlook on life. For the first, you can exercise, do drugs, spend time with people you like. All temporary solutions, but will help you cope. In order to fully overcome depression, you need to change your outlook on life and rewire some of the basic methods of thought which bring you down . You may not realize it, but your patterns of thought are probably very negative. You need to work on altering these patterns. Look into cognitive-based therapies - specifically ACT. These focus on changing your fundamental thought processes which may be responsible for your negative outlook at hopeless thoughts. ACT requires a lot of introspection and forces you to come to terms with what is important in your life. It also helps you see patterns in your thought which are unhelpful.

Go to a different school and study something else if you hate CS. You have a free ride and shouldn't waste this opportunity on something you hate

There's different types of depression you fucking mong. The type OP has certainly could be helped with drugs and therapy.

Wrong board

The rest of us will go on fine no matter what you choose. Do whatever you want.

there's two types of depression. the typical meme depression that everyone feels, if they dont have a job or gf, or had
a recent lost relationship with either a family or friend, there's that painful hole and it drains you, it usually gets better when
you're on the right path or by drugs.

then there's the second depression which OP sounds like he has, where life is suffering no matter what you do. it makes
you weak to the world and you can barely cope with anything, there's no sex drive or very little, it's just pain and misery no matter
what you do, sometimes drugs may help but it's usually a constant battle. when you have this for so long it becomes your very existence
so you dont know you have it, all you think is that life is hell, imagine if you had flu all the time, you'd think its your very existence; when
normal people have depression they know something is wrong and have a better chance of handling it. this kind of depression is a brain
disorder.

Get help. Find resources on campus. We're far more pathetic than you and are unable to help. I'm jealous that you had good enough grades for MIT and have family who can afford to send you. I could kill you and take your place if you want.

You're a loser

There is no salvation outside of the Catholic church.

Find the traditional Catholic mass in your area and be truly happy.

There is no salvation IN a catholic church. Your idolatry of Mary who is extremely unimportant, and religion is based on following the sham and liar that is pope francis. Francis believes that everyone is saved by works and accepts sodomites and jews. No, the catholic church will not save you.

kill yourself

>Good grades from HS, scored well on SAT etc.

Just get that gay degree from MIT bro. People would die to hire you, just remember that. Literally any one would hire you.

Don't worry about debt, if you pay it off, that's cool. If you don't , they won't fucking torture you anyway.

>wasting money like this
just get some certs and get a non programming tech job dum dum

like what?

You should find a therapist

why do you lie and say you go to mit?

No fucking neet for 5 years just gets into mit with "good grades in high school"

>tfw when you could be making 200k in silicon valley with free food

you dun fucked up