Just held an SSD for the first time in my life. Holy fuck is it light af. Amazing how far technology has become...

Just held an SSD for the first time in my life. Holy fuck is it light af. Amazing how far technology has become.this shit weighs literally nothing compared to a hard drive. It feels like paper

Were you in a coma?

it's almost entirely empty space inside
they only make it in that form factor because it's standardized

if you really want your mind blown look into m.2 formfactor ssds

It just never occurred to me to buy an SSD. So I just bought it from eBay few days ago and it just came in the mail. This is the first time I have my hands on one and I'm surprised at at how light it is

How did you get all those zeros in your filename?

now get hold on a M.2 ssd

yeah champ, comparing silicon chips on a glorified breadboard to spinning metal disks is astonishing.

For a 4 year old.

>mind blown when I held my first as well
bitch I used to work with 5-1/4 floppies

Have you tried installing your OS on it yet?

You'll never go back to spinning rust, it spoils you.

>tfw wanted to buy my first ssd during some chirstmas sale
>had to buy presents for family instead
FUCK FUCK FUCK

a-are you poor?

>240GB ssd is $70

that's like the price of a dinner for two, or a video game if you're still virgin

how are you this poor?

yes please buy me an ssd

how cute baby's first SSD

>it's almost entirely empty space inside
noenterpriseclassssd plz go. my seagate 600 pros use all the space

Just wait until you start using it. There's a huge speed increase, even with the cheap ones.

wow mister, you sure are superior!

>Amazing how far technology has become
that shit is over a decade old
and the shit they have now it about a third the size, more than ten times faster, and holds over a dozen TBs.
but they'll likely never release it to the consumer market. have to milk you brainlets first

Just wait until you start using it. thing gets heavier than a brick the more GB you store on it

>seagate
They probably have to because they use bottom of the barrel, bargain bin, ressurected in an oven components.

i cant wait till we can start making ssds in floppy disks

>my first SSD
>2017
Have you not bought a computer in the past 10 years?

no

>i cant wait till we can start making ssds in floppy disks
been there, done that

Not OP but I'm still using my toaster from 2008. It just werks.

>Seagate 600 pro
Trash

Asking the important questions lol

Enjoy your petabytes of write capacity and slightly quick access time, op

Holy crap OP I just bought my first SSD today. Yesterday I was thrashing SSD here in Sup Forums but fuck it. tried one and never going back to HDD for boot drive.

>had to buy presents for family instead
You didn't have to senpai

Which should I upgrade to Sup Forums, a samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD for £83, or a samsung 960 EVO Pro 250gb m.2 SSD for £110?

Get a 1tb m.2 user.

If you're upgrading from a hard drive you'll be more than satisfied with the 850. The 960 is a marginal performance increase for a steeper price. Up to you.

The first SSD I bought in 2012 ended up being a defunct piece of shit that the manufacturers took off the market a month later. It bricked itself when I used hibernate mode two times. Since then I've only used an SSD sparingly on my laptop. Meanwhile my desktop is running fine on a 3.5" hard drive from 2009.

Well it's your fault you bought a shit SSD. Go get a Samsung ssd

Got my first SSD recently, I was living in a cave too OP. Never could justify the cost before (I don’t game or anything) but got one in a laptop from university’s surplus as a gift for someone. Grabbed the ssd and swapped it for a hdd since they won’t know the difference. Gonna install my OS on it, see how it goes. Crazy light though.

It was actually the best on the market at the time, until they discovered it was broken and recalled it. My warranty saw that it was replaced by a Samsung EVO 850 that seems to run fine.

Bought a SSD last month. It's nice. I don't even care about boot time and it's probably just windows being shit but I like it so far

Not only boot time... But the accessing of files speed, searching for files speed, opening of software speed, etc. It's just all around faster

>"af"
kill yourself

Fuck off millenigger. Have a sense of wonder and appreciation for progress once in a while.

>I wish i had write endurance rated in petabytes
>i wish i had super capacitors for power loss protection

>this shit weighs literally nothing compared to a hard drive.
that shit also stores nothing compared to a hard drive.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why they're so good in laptops too.