Louis Rossmann on Macs and public schools

Based Rossmann put this piece up: youtube.com/watch?v=zYjRTKxKGVo
This made me think. Why the hell is it that public school districts are perfectly willing to shell out literally close to a thousand dollars of taxpayer money, PER STUDENT, on Macs, yet when they break by way of the student being a disrespectful little shit or through a legitimate accident, they cheap out so much on actually repairing them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6NqJNgVgkI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why the hell is it that public school districts are perfectly willing to shell out literally close to a thousand dollars of taxpayer money, PER STUDENT, on Macs, yet when they break by way of the student being a disrespectful little shit or through a legitimate accident, they cheap out so much on actually repairing them?
Because repairs don't generate kickbacks. NY school systems are literally an open sewer of corruption.

I can't help but laugh at the one board with no CPU at all.

This.
Every time you have a question about public "education" that deals with something that doesn't make any sense the answer is corruption.
Corruption and ineptitude; the latter allowing the former to ferment.

>cheap out so much on actually repairing them?
Actually, they might not be cheaping out that much on the repairs.
Louis mentioned that they were paying 200~300 per machine, which isn't that much less than he would charge for the same repair job. I am sure there are people who are offering to do the repairs for less, so the school picked someone in the middle thinking it would be balance between cost and quality.

He likely meant cheaping out on taking them to Apple for repairs

>the state of US public education

They probably want the laptops back within the decade.

The problem is more fundamental for me.

highschools and primary school students don't need laptops. They need an IT lab and a bunch of computers in the library.

Furthermore, if you truly saw a need for personal computers.. the average celeron/atom laptop costs $200 nowadays. Refurbished business laptops/desktops are dumped by the millions. Why the fuck choose macbook

That's not how schools do things though. The individual schools need school board approval to spend the money, so the board will furnish each school in the district with a list of approved techs and vendors. Those techs and vendors are ones that have previously approached the board with a bid for their services and the school board will go with the lowest bid most times unless it looks good for their books (i.e. they will get a bigger budget from the state next quarter because they "had" to spend a certain amount of money on something) so it's a case of the shit rolling downhill. Applel likely subsidized the initial machines in order to get their machines in the classrooms because today's student is tomorrow's consumer, and fresh out of high school EVERYONE lines up to give you a student credit card. If all you know is Apple, you're not likely to buy anything else.

So anyway, the schools are just sending the machines off to the places they're told to by the school board, because when all of the schools come in under budget, the district comes in under budget and when all the districts come in under budget, the members of the board get a big bonus. They don't give a shit if the computers work. They don't care about the students. They care about their bonuses and vacations. They just shoved a bunch of Macs in their districts because Apple made it worth their while.

t. Husband of a teacher

I'm not American so I'm not really in the know.

Anyway I can't help but wonder: are public schools districts actually lending out macbooks to students? If so, which states are concerned precisely (if I'm not mistaken, education is managed at the state level)?

Because if education is as under-financed in the US as it is in Western Europe, it seems unlikely that this would be a thing.

I cannot immediately find any sauce about this on google btw

I want reborn in NYC

What system does he use?

wont watch the vid but
1. macs are just better
2. applel gives educational discounts

When I was in school I had probably the shittiest computer of all the kids in my grade level yet I was the best when it came to computers. Shitty computers teach you to recognize poorly optimized programs and focus on less CPU intensive hobbies like programming.

It's a race for kids. mbp can be a selling point.

But democrats and the public school system are literally Jesus.

>macs are just better
top bait
>applel gives educational discounts
>implying OEMs and Microsoft doesn't

Google BTFO'd everything in the schools.

chromebooks are pretty damn cheap, though
not to mention that most of the shit that you'll be asking a student to do can be done from a browser

I say we all move to X and make Y while still also Z.

Again.

Corruption in the first world? Are you all thick?

Totally agree, and seen it second hand.

FYI i think you meant 'foment', though the image of bacteria eating a slimy corpse is kinda accurate.

Typical government shit

Our school just switched from iPad carts to chromebook ones.

For interesting note Chromebook G Suite licence costs more than Zuludesk's Apple MDM.

>For interesting note Chromebook G Suite licence costs more than Zuludesk's Apple MDM.

>paying for office software that has extremely good open-source alternatives

Gee man, I don't understand where all my tax money goes to. Software-as-a-service is the worst bullshit in existence in IT.

That kids don't need more than a Chinktablet.

youtube.com/watch?v=z6NqJNgVgkI

Why don't spend the money on making the education better? Why wasting the fucking money giving freeshit to the students?
I just understand

*I just don't understand

Seems to have gone up in price, but you could find similar ones for cheaper.

I blame ram prices.

On other hand good luck to run self hosted MDM with macOS Server. Even maxed out Mac Mini is just dual core I7-4578U, so no wonder why PostgreSQL is running CPU on 100% load.
And step up to Mac Pro trashcan costs ~2000€ more .

Why muricans rant about education and another things that dont make part of they world?

lel. schools in the united states aren't underfunded. we put more dollarydoos to each student than almost all of the rest of the world. the problem with schools is there is corruption on every single level possible and unbelievable levels of incompetency and mismanagement. Give kids a fucking applel that they will destroy but have teachers have to pay out of their own shitty salary to provide tissues/paper/pencils to kids. Most teachers aren't worthy of the positions they hold either. The entire thing is a fucking clown fiesta.

I forgot to mention the system is absolutely toxic to any male teacher. Its one of the highest turnover rates for males in the good old usa. enjoy losing your fucking job because some mulatto nutjob 13 year old decides to say you groped her after class despite having been absent that entire week.

Either way american public education isn't about education its about being an adult daycare for future consumers and debt holders.

From what I understand the funding varies hugely from district to district.

In a district with mostly poor people schools will have little funding.
In a district with some rich people they can tax the rich and have loads of funding.
In districts with mostly rich people the rich can go "fuck you" and not pay a thing because all their kids go to private schools anyways.

In any case I'm also fairly sure Apple gives huge discounts to schools.
It costs just a few hundred dollars to make a Macbook Pro.
And if kids get used to them they'll likely spend tens of thousands on them over their lifetime.
Apple could give them away for free and still boost profits on the long run.

Apple used to give massive discounts to schools in the 80's idk if its still the same

why would ineptitude allow corruption to bathe with warm or medicated lotions?

Where the fuck are these niggas getting money for fucking macs?
Just having early netbooks that barely worked was a luxury for me

Why?

The game is to earmark and steal as much money as possible

lmao this jew is still ranting

Yeah I can confirm I went to school in Jew York and had a m8 who stole the keyboards and mice for his build. Teachers also constantly brag about their income.

i want to fug miku

>In districts with mostly rich people the rich can go "fuck you" and not pay a thing because all their kids go to private schools anyways.
They still have to pay public school taxes. In my state public school taxes are part of the property tax.

>2. applel gives educational discounts>>
lol a whole $50

they actually give more per actual organization in bulk and not student direct purchases

itoys in education is not a new thing
been around for ages although Apple stopped the aggressive education marketing approach it pursued earlier because they make plenty of money

Well then go buy her and impale the disc on your dick.

>its another invade Sup Forums with technology e-celebs who are really just low-key Sup Forums posters
Take your libertarian nazi trash back to Sup Forums

(You)

>Why the hell is it that public school districts are perfectly willing to shell out literally close to a thousand dollars of taxpayer money, PER STUDENT, on Macs, yet when they break by way of the student being a disrespectful little shit or through a legitimate accident, they cheap out so much on actually repairing them?
Apple has shitloads of discounts for school. It's one of the reasons why it's such a popular system in the US.

>iPad carts
>Chromebook carts
The absolute state of tech education in America
>"what's computer" tier retard devices directly implemented into education
We had thinkpad carts in my school

Don't they all do? Even in Canada they brag, especially if the NDP is in power at the time.

what's with the tin tin hairdo?