*blocks you from switching to linux*

*blocks you from switching to linux*

but vscode has a native linux client

*open legs*

monodevelop
even consumes the same solution format for .NET projects (also has native C/C++, but slightly different XML schema)

keked hard at these posts

What language?

C++? There are AMPLE Linux Options.
C#? Why use a non-Microsoft option when using a Microsoft language?
Anything else? All the non-Microsoft IDEs are flat-out better.

Why use anything microsoft?

>All the non-Microsoft IDEs are flat-out better
name a single one, pajeet

Emacs

yeah emacs cannot handle enterprise projects, try again

Name a language first. IntelliJ IDEA is better for all Java-derived languages, I'll say that much.

If by "enterprise project" you mean "this shit C# application we use at work" then yes. Emacs can handle enormous codebases just fine. I've used it for work for webshit and systems work for twenty years.

Hehe yeah you use emacs at your workstation? Whereabouts have you been working at the past 20 years buddy?

ENTERPRISE QUALITY is a buzzword for dumb web/forms projects that only call sprocs in a SQL Server/Oracle database and run a couple of rule validations, in extreme cases those are also sprocs.

You realize that text is text, right? Why would anyone have a problem with me using emacs at my workstation? There is no reason everyone needs the same environment.

Not having IDE independent build tools is a big red sign of codebase immaturity.

>bloated and buggy IDE that's larger than an OS
Come on, I wouldn't even use it on windows.

There are a few things that prevent me from switching to Linux full time. IDEs are most definitely not one of them.

I like JetBrains' products, don't get me wrong, but there's more at LEAST as much entanglement with their IDE and profitability as there are with Microsoft's. And I get that Microsoft is a slight bit bigger of a bad than JB, but that doesn't make me want to pay however-much-a-year for CLion.

Man, 2015 was baaad
but the new one is much faster

2015 install used to take hours, but 2017 installed relatively fast.

Wow an actual retard

>i have literally never been employed before

Look, if you're gonna use an IDE, then at least use the more freedom-respecting Visual Studio Code. But Vim or Emacs are the best choices.

I actually used to use VS2010 for work a couple years ago so I probably know that feel more than these retards.
I did switch to Linux long before that so I knew that I could basically get the same functionality by piecing together toolsets.
Also you're still writing in c# you're a faggot. Switch to Rust or Python or even Go.

Actually, it's unity holding myself in windows.
There is a port for linux but it don't run very well yet.

>I could basically get the same functionality by piecing together toolsets.
>Go
homeless tier

t low wage code monkey

This guy is right
Hahahahahaha
I bet you even believe that

Also if you're such a good programmer why can't you afford a single spare machine to learn Linux on? Or even set up a Debian VM? Fucking asstard

Why would you need to spare a machine when you can just dual-boot. I "learned Linux" to try and increase my employable, but at the end of the day, they were just concerned with my algorithmic ability. IDE, quite obviously, had nothing to do with it even though I was ultimately employed in a company that used Microsoft almost exclusively in its backend.

t. buttmad delusional NEETs that can barely write a basic bash script without help from Google
Nigger I have a separate CentOS machine for my other projects but VS is the indisputable king

>visual studio
>centos like it's ten years ago

This is how I know you're a shit tier corporate code monkey cuck

>redditspacing
This is how I know you're a butthurt NEET. What distro and IDE do you use for your personal projects?

It looks better to separate multiline quotes from the response. If I were redditspacing, why didn't I add a line between the quotes?
>personal projects
This is how I know you're a low paid wagecuck. "Personal projects", CentOS, you're just fucking memeing.
I do 100% of my work, professional and personal, on Unix boxes. My colo box (nextcloud, git, sshfs, seedbox, etc) runs FreeBSD, my work uses Debian on servers, I run Debian Unstable on all of my machines except my Chromebook which runs Arch. Even my gayming machine runs Linux because I only play DF and Paradox shit.

Forgot "IDE". I use Emacs for everything text related, including my tasks, calendar, email, documentation, everything. Fat ass environments are for cucks.

Emacs can into breakpoints?

>how do I use major modes for programming
>fucking "can it do breakpoints tho"

No one of the oldest environments, the most customizable software package ever created, can't do basic shit because you're a newfag who doesn't understand that Emacs was here before you were born and will be here after you die.
Yes it can "into breakpoints" you retarded faggot, Emacs can do anything

The only reason why VS is considered "good" is because windows is such an abomination for development that it needs an IDE to do all of things linux and macOS do out of the box.

A million times this

Windows cucks are so crippled they suck the dick of any program that offers them even a workable enviromment

MSX Basic also can do anything, but that don't make it a good anything.

When were the first 64 bit CPUs released to consumers? Was it 2003? And yet in 2017 Microsoft still hasn't ported their software to 64 bit.

Is this the power of LLP64?

Are you actually fucking retarded?

the forms are nice!
does linux have forms?!

The first lines of prescott's code is a guide to set up emacs for the project. Feel free to call it small project, but it will be considered as denial.
Not multiplatform and as i know the community version have some serious restrictions.

does linux have anything?!

>auto generated code is a VS only feature
If it doesn't, what is the point of wsl?

>If it doesn't, what is the point of wsl?
To stop retards wiping their PC's and deleting important files because they want to "install gentoo zomgg kek" only to find out it sucks.

Is there a single IDE for Linux that can do VS-tier autocomplete and dynamic syntax highlighting? That's literally the only reason I use VS.

No, nothing even comes close at the moment. Maybe the official C++ plugin for VS Code will get there eventually.

>"install gentoo zomgg kek" only to find out it sucks.
You take that back.

Linux community stops me more than anything else, they're worse than Jehovah Witnesses, SJW Feminists and Vegans combined.

Meanwhile ms shills are nice and smart people. Obviously amirite?

What about that code editor? Not sure what it's called, but it was made by MS and has almost the same logo as VS.

No idea, I never have them getting min my face and getting all verbally abusive at me for not following their orders. It only seems to be Linux users doing it, Mac users did a few years ago but they didn't have homicidal ideation.

> Maybe the official C++ plugin for VS Code
Oh, right, VS Code, that's what I had in mind. So it can do that, right? Doesn't matter if it's a full-fledged IDE, I can compile my stuff myself.

That's VS Code. The C++ plugin was pretty clunky last time I checked on it but they supposedly have people at MS working full time on it so it should become good sooner or later.

Qtcreator? It's idiotproof, but not well known.

I'm using c::b.

considering many high-profile projects in foss are controlled by sjw feminist vegans it's not a coincidence

when Linus Torvalds dies or leaves Linux lead developer post, it's the end of FOSS. he has been the only bulwark against constant sjw feminist shaming tactics, merely by being kinda winner in oppression olympics by being minority twice.

foss like soviet union started as jewish communist project, and like soviet union it will collapse under cascading insanity caused by meritocracy being replaced by crazy

I asked on a Qt-related forum about QtCreator, and I was advised not to use it because it sucked.
It was two years ago though, did it get any better?

Implying there are many open source developers, who still take foot-eating Stallman and his crappy authoritarian communist organization seriously.
They dug their own grave when their refused to endorse Debian of all distros.

It's kind of true though, I found it easier to use notepadqq and make, than QtCreator.

Nice meme.

stallman is not the only one, and who gives a fuck about some developers anyways? control is the key word here. devs don't control foundation which controls funds and who controls funds controls project.
>b-but muh forks
yeah go ahead and fork something, take control, if successful pattern only repeats itself.

Don't worry, user. Mr Linux is making sure he's around for as long as possible.

Still convinced the reddit spacing comments are from 1 guy

It's got to be one of the most annoying things on Sup Forums Neue.

> AAAH YOU USED \n\n IN YOUR POST FUCK OFF B2REDDIT REEE

>JW are bad
I have one taht comes around every month and we just end up talking about whatever is in his magazine, he knows I'm not religious and won't convert but the conversations are always great

still won't be forever

even Linus is a victim, he could have made millions over professional career, now he is middle aged middle class man who has to deal with fanatics every day

never open source never

I remember when I had to use Visual Studio at a former job. I'm so glad I don't have to use Windows or Visual Studio for development anymore.
Literally the only good thing about it was the debugger.

I really don't understand people that actually like Visual Studio. I guess they don't use it with big projects, professionally.

>That UML diagram maker embedded into visual studio

Is this part of why it takes up 4.6GB to run?

QtCreator

> implying I don't use emacs in linix

Anything is better than VS. VS is only good for fizzbuzz-sized projects.

t. never worked a single day as a software developer

None of your gimmicky Linux IDEs aren't used in the industry.

A large reason being that Linux software isn't even produced in the industry, but still.

>63863211
(you)

But what does Visual Studio actually do?

Holds his hand and allows him access to tools on Windows that the rest of us have taken for granted for twenty years.

What does any IDE do?

It is unfeasable to work on large code bases without helpful IDEs. Anyone who refutes this is NOT a professional developer.

And no, writing your hobby projects in Notepad++ or Sublime or Emacs only makes you a pathetic loser, not a developer.

>A large reason being that Linux software isn't even produced in the industry, but still.
Large companies are the primary contributors to FLOSS.

It's quite obvious you're still in school, Chang.

Is this the bit where you reveal you think VS invented ctags?

Linus develops Linux in Spacemacs without any issue. Is 10 mil sloc big enough?

Yes but what does Visual Studio do to help a 'team' of programmers?
Can you link with other people? Like see there code in an adjacent window?
Does VS have like it's own git thing where you can commit?
Is there debugging information for different computers on a VS network?

He doesn't use spacemacs, he uses his own emacs fork.

anyone else here use VScode?

>using atom for awhile
>everything is good
>suddenly starts randomly crashing
>search high and low for fixes online
>tried just about everything
>find a decent fix
>....crashes

I'm using a mix of VScode and pinegrow ( yes pinegrow ), both are and have been very stable for me. no issues with either one.

>It is unfeasable to work on large code bases without helpful IDEs.
this is true, especially if you are working on very large projects with tight deadlines, you will need to get work done as fast as you can, and IDEs certainly helps with that.

> Anyone who refutes this is NOT a professional developer.
well not really. but Lincucks do like to circlejerk and feel superior because using muh text editor for coding, which is really retarded.

What do IDEs do that vim/emacs etc. can't?

lol is this guy for real.
this is Sup Forums the meme

I'm a Windows user and I can't stand when I have to use this shit for other peoples projects.
>configuration and building done mostly through the GUI
>they make the CLI experience as annoying as possible

I don't know how Microsoft managed to make a programming editor better than Atom with Electron, considering that Electron and Atom are both developed by GitHub.

I use one of these old intellimouse with the side buttons.
I cannot find a THICC mouse with /comfy/ palm grip, side buttons that is not an edgy overpriced gayming mouse.

>Implying its not easy to handle fucking text in 2017

cavemen not using the superior ide

He's a millionaire nigga

>Can you link with other people? Like see there code in an adjacent window?
>Does VS have like it's own git thing where you can commit?
>Is there debugging information for different computers on a VS network?
Yes
Yes
Yes

10/10 good setup post based Winbro

I find it hard to believe having that QtCreator works out of the box. Install, create project, std cout hello world, compile, run. How much easier can it get?

>this is true, especially if you are working on very large projects with tight deadlines, you will need to get work done as fast as you can, and IDEs certainly helps with that.
I use VS but this is a very strange argument. Are you sure you are a professional developer and not just pretending to be?