Weekends are the perfect time to make fresh backups and verify your existing backups...

Weekends are the perfect time to make fresh backups and verify your existing backups. Storage failute happens to everyone eventually, it's only a matter of time. Be smart about it and make a copy of all of you most important files now, and avoid regret later.

But it's just as important that the backups you already made are actually valid. Check them, try restoring from them. One way backups aren't really backups.

And if you can, spend a few hours automating your backups if possible. Humans forget stuff all the time, a cron-job or a scheudled task won't forget.

For some backups solutions you can visit harddrives.always.fail/

That is all, have a lovely weekend.

Other urls found in this thread:

borgbackup.org/
restic.github.io/
freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfs&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE and Ports&arch=default&format=html
github.com/PonderingGrower/rbackup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Some of my favourite backup tools:
borgbackup.org/

restic.github.io/

freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfs&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE and Ports&arch=default&format=html

Thanks dude, I'll chekc them out and possibly add to my page!

i hate tools that are sucky. i prefer to just copy paste my documents folder to a external hdd every once in a while.

Just put that shit in Dropbox.

I'm making incremental backups hourly and syncing the latest backup to a btrfs backup server that makes a snapshot each day

I lost around 400gb of encrypted doujins a week ago.
I had shit that you can't even find anymore because most scanlators didn't put in places like sadpanda or they got pulled and the original scan site doesn't exist anymore.
Feels kinda bad but that's what I was expecting to hapen my drives were WD caviar green 1tb that were like 11 years old.
Feels bad being a poorfag neet who has to keep using his hardware until it all dies and then I'm free to an hero.

Nah.

kys

Dude... Uploading that shit to AWS Glacier would cost you around 1.5 USD per month. Stop being so cheap.

It's people like you that then come to Sup Forums begging us to help you restore data from a failing hard drive, and everyone will just laugh at you and sage your thread.

I'm actually writing a small wrapper in python around rsync and tar. If anyone is interested you can check it out here:

github.com/PonderingGrower/rbackup

Don't use it for anything important though. Totally work in progress. I'm working on 100% test coverage right now.

if you want to see windows 7 absolutely shit itself, clone your boot drive and leave both drives connected when you reboot. it's non-destructive, and you get one of those "you should never be seeing this" error messages.

Newfriend here, trying to be hip with all the oldfags on Sup Forums :ddd
reddit

>if you want to see windows 7 absolutely shit itself...
...you have to simply use it.

Me server (9TB Raid-5/2TB Raid-1/1TB OS & Client Backups + Few videos)
Use Macrium Reflect V6 Server Edition to mange the backup of server data.
1. Full data backup of Raid 5 & 1 Volumes to Zyzel NAS 540 12TB Raid 5
2. 2nd backup copy of movie/music collection to Zyzel NSA 320s 4TB Raid 0
3. Server Sys Image + Client Backups & 2nd Copy of X Rated Content/E-books backed up to 3TB External drive

Nice setup. Just remember that having all of your backups in the same physical location is not really good strategy.

Pic?

Thanks. I keep the nas units in an out of the way place so there's little danger of them getting knocked around or water damage due to basement flood (never happened before but never know). I keep them shutdown when not in use plus the server and them are on a UPS. The 3TB external is kept on the main floor, attached to my desktop. It also stays shutdown when not in use

That's decent but an off-site backup would be great too.

Also, remember that platter drives do not like the on-off cycle too much. On average a drive will last much longer when on all the time than one that gets spun-up and spun-down many times.

Duh, of course it'll shit itself, it can only boot from one drive and since both have the same identifying number/whatever windows assigns it, then windows has no way of knowing which one is the "real" system/boot drive. Only way to work around this is to use Windows built in raid-1 and mirror the system/boot partition. But even that ain't seamless, upon drive failure, you gotta tell it to boot from the 2nd drive upon bootup (you get a nice little menu entry called boot from 2ndary plex). Really pointless for the home user, you'd just replace the dead drive and restore from backup image. But for business, the whole few seconds it takes to switch to 2nd boot drive is better/faster than swapping out the drive and doing whole restore.