"CTFs... capture the flag... the Olympics of Hacking"

>"CTFs... capture the flag... the Olympics of Hacking"

DROPPED

cringiest fucking shit I've ever heard

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/minority-report/201406/elliot-rodgers-asian-self-hatred
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where did Mr.Robot first drop the ball?

When Elliot managed to walk into restricted access areas at Steel Mountain.

>I prefer GNOME.

>I feel so insecure I can't watch good stuff anymore without thinking about how people who are supposed to think like me will see it

The series portrays hacking and computers realistically, but everything else in the show is way too unrealistic.

Apparently any kind of balance is just too boring for TV.

The last episode of the third season almost redeemed every slip-up.

>mfw

That bit early in Season 2 where it shows him putting on the mask for the first time and it goes full on LE EPIC ANONYMOOS. I can forgive most of Season 1 but god damn that was awful.

It has nothing to do with that. I don't give a shit what Sup Forums thinks about me. If something is genuinely cringey and difficult to look past, I'm not going to continue watching it. Most people gave Mr Robot's pilot shit for the whole Gnome/KDE discussion, but I thought that was fine. In fact I think the whole first season is great. Would probably make a good film if you condensed it down.

I couldn't make it past the first episode solely because of OP. How on earth could it redeem that? Is it like a "He was in Prison the whole time" 4D chess style switcheroo?

Don't you know about CTFs you stupid fucking lamer?

So many parts. But the scene where he meets that asian guy then says in his mind,
"He's trolling me" made me cringe the most.

>Pwn2Own

What, how? The last ep was full of fucktarded "twists" and Disney-movie tier writing.
I really don't see how you can say it was good enough to redeem everything.

>Is it like a "He was in Prison the whole time" 4D chess style switcheroo?
I wish it had something like that. Instead it has "Luke, I am your father", "I'm actually gay and fucked white rose lol", axeman anger issues, THE RUSSIANS WERE THE REAL EVIL AND MANIPULATING EVERYTHING ALL ALONG, Mr Robot and Elliot being more similar than either of them wants to admit, hugs and friendship, and ultimately turning back time.
It's complete garbage, the show should have simply ended after S1. Everything after is just way too contrived and stupid.

>cringiest thing
>not the whole 'an executive running linux' scene

also

it doesnt need to be realistic for fuk sake

you are too stupid too see how good is the show, you should only watch low tier 'oneeee-chan' animu, you will feel smart

>Elliot using Slackware GNU/Linux to hack the Gibson in the most-recent ep.
What did they mean by this?

That Elliot can use any GNU/Linux distribution. It's irrelevant for him. Do not forget that Elliot never keep an OS more than one week.

Did this show drop in popularity? I feel like S1&2, there were threads every single day.

I didn't even realize that S3 was complete.

S3 is fucking awesome.

That is exactly how he felt tho

psychologytoday.com/blog/minority-report/201406/elliot-rodgers-asian-self-hatred

I don't think you need to a genius to download a file.

It shows how society is being dumbed down from understanding how technology works

Everyone wants things to be abstract, convenient like java, the appreciation for the minute things like assembly seem to be disappearing

EXECUTIVE

I like the aesthetics of this show but the plot is not exciting at all, it's a bit of a letdown. Most memorable episode is probably S03E05.

What was the deal with Romero's keyloggers?
I didn't get what happened from fbifu handing her laptop to hackerman to booting on the virtual machine from the CD rom and sending the email.

Price best boi

basically

I'm not sure if this is true or not, read it from Sup Forums but supposedly Esmail didn't even know if the show would get a 4th season until filming for the 3rd was completed. The numbers definitely don't look good.

US viewers were a mistake

First season, when suddenly everything about his father was a fucking imagination.
Stopped after this.

Does season 2 get any better? I'm on episode 3 or 4 and its literally him sperging out and talking to Joey Badass the entire episode.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own

All that was actually Mr Robot's secret backdoor to getting the encryption keys and reversing the hack. He made it because he's actually a scared little shit just like Elliot and wasn't sure he was doing the right thing by setting the world on fire.

>be hackerman
>also be distrohopper
geez, really gets my almonds going

>hosted in CanSecWest
HMMMMM

nice it means its getting better

i bet a CTF event is pretty cool.
but it's for people that learn for school.

i preffer to do my stuff high and without time presure

They really aren't. It's hours of throwing pasta at a wall until the one noodle sticks, and hopefully you find that one before anyone else.

When the lawyer in season 1 said that the computer fraud and abuse act was hard to prosecute under because of the evidence requirements.

I prefer boot2root VMs over live CTFs.

literally too smart for burger

>underground lair full of le hacker bros
>in a militarized NYC where national guard police the streets
>following a large-scale financial crisis brought about by a single hacking incident

hmm really make u tink

What exactly is the problem with ? For one, the contest does take place in the real world, unlike some schemes from the show. Were you two honestly expecting penentration testing and networking tutorials on live TV? On the topic of twists - those may be "justified" in the next season. It's not like the majority of main characters were killed just for the sake of it.

Why?

That was incredibly obvious from the start though, literally everyone with half a brain called it, especially so since they constantly talked about how much they loved Fight Club.

I suppose you wouldn't survive watching a David Lynch movie or a sci-fi movie either.

>portrays hacking and computers realistically
lul

it didn't, the show is supposed to be satire. it's not supposed to be taken as realistic

of course, why do you think windows was so popular?

the best episodes imo are the ones that ignore the plot entirely

yeh the plot is full of holes

like why would the fbi director bow to blackmail from the chinese mob, i mean if the fbi cant protect anyone then the chinese should just murder everyone and be done with it

I love this show because it brings out all the cinemasins and pseudo intellectuals out from under the woodwork to moan about things that don't matter.

You should start a YouTube channel, "Mr.Robot sucks:top 10 things that are INNACCURATE about Mr Robot!!!"

There's your first video you can pretend inaccuracies are a real critique as well

Or how about the pseudo intellectual crowd that defend everything that happens in Mr. Robot. "They didn't show it but this probably happened before the scene!"

For example? I only saw 3rd season and it was git gud.

>it didn't, the show is supposed to be satire. it's not supposed to be taken as realistic
That doesn't mean it can't drop the ball.

See:
I suppose those people would answer these very simple questions. Neither will they answer yours.

>People stop watching it when it starts broadcasting libshit ideology
What a surprise

But.. it is. The Olympics is when people from all across the world gather and compete in a series of games that each award points. A winner is decided based on these points and a reward is given out for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. CTF is a competition that employs a series of challenges that each award points and eventually rewards are given out based on the accumulation of these points. When there is a major CTF event people come from all over to compete.

CTF is literally the Olympics of hacking.

Season one, episode one.

When the manager of an elite cybersecurity force said: "What is a rootkit?"

Managers tend to be people persons. They deal with expenses, overtime, that sort of shit. Being technical isn't necessary.

Except AllSafe wasn't "elite". They were just a small time computer security office that was started by a business normie who knew a bit of CodeAcademy and saw the earning potential.

The reason as to why E-Corp went with AllSafe is given in season 3. It had nothing to do with their technical skills.

Still not buying it.
It's one thing to not know/care about the lastest low-tech shit.
It's something differnt to not have basic knowledge about the field you are working in.

And let's not forget the cringy answer ("it's liek a rapist with a huge dick" or something like that).

So the most powerfull company gives all their data to some idiots? Yeah, great plot.

My manager does not know what HTTP is. I do web application security assessments.

Managers don't know shit about technical details.

DO HACK

It was a setup, they were forced to by the Chinese

>third season
it has three season already?
glad I got off this reddit ride by the end of S1.

>simplicity is the prerequisite for reliability
>in xterm
>opened in a gnome3 session
is this satire as well?

The whole part of the plot twist of the first season seemed awful, just that thing fucked the series for me. I will give a chance to the second season, but the whole schizophrenia bullshit turned me off.

what's wrong with xterm?

>the whole schizophrenia bills hit turned me off
Then just drop the show, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah, but it's one of those things that you don't want to happen, because it throws away half of the plot for the "impact". I thought that "oh, it would be awful if they copy the fight club thing, maybe they're just referencing the movie to give us false flags", silly me.
M. Night Shyamalan do that crap, and seriously feels cheap af.

it's the antithesis of simplicity.
an excerpt of the original xterm README (and no, nothing has changed since 1991, since xterm being part of X just expanded in features and various compatibility layers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

This is undoubtedly the most ugly program in the distribution. It was one of
the first "serious" programs ported, and still has a lot of historical baggage.
Ideally, there would be a general tty widget and then vt102 and tek4014
subwidgets so that they could be used in other programs. We are trying to
clean things up as we go, but there is still a lot of work to do.

If you are porting this to a machine that has problems with overlapping
bcopy's, watch out!

There are two documents on xterm: the man page, xterm.man, which describes
how to use it, and ctlseqs.ms, which describes the control sequences it
understands.

>"Sup Forums... the darkest corner of the internet. If I'm going to take down the Dark Army, I'm going to need their help"
You can't make this shit up

ITT : peoples knowing nothing about technology and the hacking culture pretend to be expert and be triggered.

Says a lot about the audience

What do you expect? This board lives at the arse end of the internet!

Saying "CTFs are the Olympics of Hacking" is like saying that "Basketball is the Olympics of Ball-Based Sports"

You can do a CTF at home. Go on install a VM and go on vulnhub. It's hardly what I'd call "the olympics of hacking". Like they weren't even at DEFCON or pwn2own

I stopped watching after seeing the forced diversity.

>Mfw
>I'm that autistic cringe irl

"cringe" is a concept created by jews to block your from enjoying your life, this makes you sad and want to fullfill this sadness with consumerism

>lamer implies CTFs aren't dope

I've literally been to multiple hackerspaces and the only one that blared EDM and spouted Sup Forums memes was relatively slow paced and well-lit and had people spending more time playing CS 1.6 than "PWNING"

>uses the word "dope"

>Fight Club.
problem is they copied that movie to the letter when it comes to the twist.
"Oh no, i just found out the main character i've been talking to, that introduced my social recluse ass to this underground world, is actually me(should have realized it when the women around me have been acting weird), and my mentally ill subconscious has been creating this alter ego as a heroic antihero, with a secret organisation to support his endeavours, that wants to liberate the world by eliminating all debt via targeting the main banks on the planet!"

>lamer
man i haven't heard that word in a really long time

What in your opinion deserve "olympic of hacking"?

Keep in mind this is normie show.

If they were literally doing a CTF or a crypto challenge at DEFCON in Las Vegas, then MAYBE I would say that is the "Olympics of Hacking". Or hell even Cicada 3301.

So Romero had keyloggers on the arcade PCs.
The logs showed that the last commands were uploading the encryption keys to pastebin or something.
Mr robot was "lol I used the back to the future pic to embed the encryption keys. It's on a VM on a CD rom".
That's it?
I don't get the involvement of Romero when it was all about Mr robot confessing. Also why didn't Romero's logs showed the key if it recorded the last commands?

It's "realistic" in the sense that he's running commands using the right syntax, but it's still utterly nonsensical.

>elliot opens up terminal
>./execute1337hax.py

I mean yeah that's that's how you would run an executable script but it's retarded to suggest this is an accurate portrayal of hacking.

The show is a lot more realistic in terms of hacking than what we get from TV regularly, the plot is also quite more entertaining than the crap Netflix/tv networks peddle at people.

The show isn't perfect on the technical aspects but that doesn't mean it isn't good as entertainment overall, most of the fags bitching about it only dislike it because of its leftist undertones or because it doesn't meet their autistic absolute standards of realism.

>implying hackers do more than running scripts nowadays

No. Your example doesn't work in this scenario because there isn't another competition involving "hacking" that works off of challenges with points rewarded with a clear winner.

So, should the show portray Elliot running fuzzing software for half the running time of the episode while drinking coffee?

100% realism in a discipline that takes a lot of time in investigation and fiddling around isn't practical for storytelling, plus, the show has never been completely about hacking or detailing how it's done

Pilot

You'd be surprised at how many exploits sold nowadays are literally ./crackwpa.py args.

Read the fucking thread, faggot

I already did, which is why I made that post.

didn't you fucking get that it's supposed to be lame and cringey?

Maybe if he says what he's doing, that would be quite entertaining

>set up a hacking goal
>understand how the system works
>try exploiting possible common weaknesses
>make a script that do that shit automatically

That would be nice.

That happens several times during all of the seasons with varying degrees of detail.

Have you seen the show?

Dropped it after first season, the fucking plot twist felt fucking cheap, gonna retake it on holidays, I hope it gets better

when it started being more about elliot's mental disorder than hacking.