YFW a fictional tv show had a hand in killing what little credibility Firefox had left

>YFW a fictional tv show had a hand in killing what little credibility Firefox had left

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2017/12/15/mozillas-mr-robot-promo-backfires-after-it-installs-firefox-extension-without-permission/amp/
twitter.com/BrendanEich/status/941776638223704064?s=17
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

details?

techcrunch.com/2017/12/15/mozillas-mr-robot-promo-backfires-after-it-installs-firefox-extension-without-permission/amp/

wtf I am switching to chrome!!

>yfw Mozilla crashes and burns in your lifetime

what in the actual fuck were they thinking

"THE KIDS SURE DO LOVE MR. ROBOT, DON'T THEY?!"

> "Mozilla is positioning itself as the privacy-conscious alternative to Google, Microsoft and others"

Mozilla is literally Microsoft.

>I doubt anyone is going to be mad if we just sell out our ability to stealth install extensions for a TV show promo
Everytime I think Mozilla can't make a dumber decision, they do. I'm glad I switched but I'm mad they forced me to.

How is this different from the Android easter egg games? Is it that it's implemented as a plugin and not hardcoded in the browser?

Firefox is the best browser by far

I didn't have this problem on GNU/Linux.

>FIREFOX BTFO

Nothing will become of this, but I guess you've got some (You)s now.

>he doesn't compile firefox from source and removes whatever he doesn't like
I thought this was the TECHNOLOGY board

Android easter eggs are voluntary to access. This extension is forced on me, is deliberately confusing for those who don't understand it, and shows that Mozilla has the ability to force users to run applications without the users knowing. What happens if a rogue Mozilla employee decides to make a cryptocurrecy mining extension that they push out to users without permission? We now know that they can do so.

freecucks with defend this

Only werks if shield enabled or even when it's disabled too? That's the only thing that matters, everything else is a meme.
Trump and his credibility. He still can loan some for Moore. :^)

kek, firecucks will eat that shit

Firefox is in constant decline so it would be hard to determine if this is doing anything.

The best part is that they just got caught red-handed stealing user data for fuck knows what purpose, and they're going to get a free pass from their userbase because "muh based freedom privacy company" can do no wrong. They could've been caught directly filtering user data to PRISM and, as long as they weren't Microsoft or Google, could've gotten away with it. This is the absolute state of "freedom and privacy" orientated "power"users.

You complain about firefox yet don't join their dev team. In a few years you could rise through the ranks and turn it around and you don't.

stupid nazi eichmann

Cliqz only applied to nazis.

Yeah, that one particular time. To whom do data thieving addons claiming to be some sort of augmented reality game for a television show apply to?

only works with shield. So yeah its a meme.
>Not knowing any software company on his computer could do this
Come on user.

>"What happens if a rogue Mozilla employee decides to make a cryptocurrecy mining extension that they push out to users without permission?"

Well, that's true for every web browser out there.

>its a meme
>enabled by default and updates on the nightly channel re-enable it if disabled
really makes you think

>stupid
>nazi
pick one

>How is this different from the Android easter egg games?
The same difference between sex and rape.

Consent.

>force the co-founder out of his own company
>rapidly start losing money and users
What did they expect would happen without leadership of someone who actually gave a shit and contributed things? I really hope Brave does well just for Eich's sake, I'm still mad because I liked Mozilla and Firefox for a long time, I don't want to see them deteriorate like this but I'd rather they come to an end than persist and corrupt more.

>tfw firefox install a addon from a fucking tv show and without your consent
im glad that im using Iridium right now, fuck mozilla, time to see them dying

>antifa
>mr robot
>literal botnet
Cmon user, stop making up stories

While true, none of them have actually been caught doing it, Mozilla has been now, it's no longer speculation, it's real. It's gone from
>Mozilla could probably do this
to
>Mozilla can do this

>88
stupid nazi

>2017
>still using firefox after they demolished what got users interested in it in the first place

>updating firefox past version 56
>lose your add-ons
>get free spam add-ons of amerifat tv shows

This is note free anymore, is it?

"Been caught"
That's the thing. They didn't plan to hide it in the first place, because this plugin is harmless but I got your point. In the meantime, I still trust Mozilla more than (Google) Chrome to protect my privacy.

you thought wrong, we leddit now

>is deliberately confusing for those who don't understand it
are you saying you're easily confused?
>and shows that Mozilla has the ability to force users to run applications without the users knowing
are you seriously suggesting you would prefer another pocket/hello fiasco where you can't remove the features from the browser?
>What happens if a rogue Mozilla employee
you would have to be a literal retard to think that a bad actor would put something malicious into a highly visible addon rather than embedding it somewhere obscure in the firefox source tree
>We now know that they can do so.
software developers can modify their software, more news at 11

mozilla rightly deserve the public outrage for that and I hope it seriously hurts them in the future, however there's a slight difference between using a browser with an otherwise reasonable privacy record versus willingly using windows 10/chrome knowing how much data they collect and what its used for and knowing that it's only entrenching those companies position even further

>While true, none of them have actually been caught doing it
there's nothing to catch because the vast majority of browsers do it in the open and there's zero speculation about what they do
>speculation
what was the speculation, that mozilla couldn't opt users in to using addons? come on m8, you need to try harder than that

ps to all newfriends out there, you could have avoided this if you had used nightly like Sup Forums has been telling you to use for years now

>It’s especially important to call out that this collaboration does not compromise our principles or values regarding privacy.
Funny.
Well. I guess i need to read their source if I want to use it.

>techcrunch
who the fuck reads that shit anyway? Why are you reading news sites for laymen?

This. You can't treat Firefox like the other browsers. It's free software. You can actually change it. The same is not true of the other browsers.

Always confuses me when people are picky about news sites. You cannot guarantee that every news site will write about a certain subject. Sometimes you just go to where a story is, and you don't care about that site.

>our ability to stealth install extensions
b-but its open sores! Surely this ability would have been found by one of the many forks that have been made

Man, you just reminded me that I understand multiple operating systems better than I understand a single web browsers codebase, why is Firefox so fucking complicated and huge. I bet Chrome is even worse.

>certain subject
user if the idea of news sites curating content for you is foreign and you aim to know everything I think I have to inform you of your failure.
And if someone posts a link to a news site you implicitly promote them. I'd rather have a link to Mozillas support page on this frankly.
Or even reddit actually.
Techcrunch has so much garbage on it. At least we can hold a certain attitude towards user-content.

Even if this weren't the case automatic updates without a peer review process (not feasible to have really) ruins it. You'll just push an update with the addon. Or push a malicious update directly.
Doesn't even have to be from the open source. Publish one version, present another.

>Even if this weren't the case au
I was also going to make a crack out "surely someone else would have noticed it in one of the many forks, wait oh my god" implying shit like waterfox and palemoon or whatever all found and actually use the firefox backdoors.
>protip: they probably did and do

It was a well known feature. Or formerly a feature, now a malware vector.

twitter.com/BrendanEich/status/941776638223704064?s=17
>he knows

>mozilla rightly deserve the public outrage for that and I hope it seriously hurts them in the future
And this is where it should have ended. The damage control afterwards is unnecessary and makes your entire post seem like the usual disingenuous asshurt from the Mozilla babbys.

>update firefox to 57
>half my addons are legacy
>Sup Forums tells me to fuck off and find alternatives
>there aren't any because dev says how the new webextension is too limited and doesn't offer much freedom and access and he can't update the addon

so I think I'm ready to make the switch, what do I use now
icecat?

Waterfox.

>literally
you motherfucker

fuck me dude, I was really starting to like the new FF as my secondary browser, especially with the native dark theme.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Oh well, back to pale meme I guess.

still better than the alternative botnets.

would you rather sell your soul or get some stupid visual changes?

holy shit

> Be American
> Go to poo
> Make eye contact with everyone else who is pooing because of gaps in the toilet cubicles
> Get your ass splashed with shitty aids water
> Get a free spam add-on in Firefox

I have no such extension.

If they let him be chairman or whatever Mozilla probably would have been fine, its only the SJW types that inject their political bullshit into everything

They canned him over some anti-gay donations but have no problem giving huge sums of money to antifa and promoting le diversity and inclusion. Eichmann would not have inserted his anti-gay political bullshit into firefox like the leftdroids do with their bs

Just when you think mozilla can't get any worse they manage to surprise you. I'm done with this garbage, thoughts on palemoon?

>furry browser

As much as I have grown to hate Mozilla over the years, Firefox is still free (but not FOSS) software where you can actually look into the guts or compile the source on your own. You can disable the cancer you don't like (for now) You can't do that shit with the other major browsers. And I appreciate the work they did on Servo and Rust.

I'd be willing to use Brave but
>based on Chromium
>uses Blink engine

nah

> Can edit source code of Firefox
> Can not edit that of Chromium

Palemoon is nice.

>literally living under a rock

*blocks your path*

>It’s especially important to call out that this collaboration does not compromise our principles or values regarding privacy
Why are people constantly "calling" things and people "out" these days. That's not even how that expression is supposed to be used.

If you're gonna rob me of my privacy, at least do it for a legit reason rather than for some shitty tv show.

True freecucks will use the true free browser
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

>Palemoon
Palemoon is corrupt, they censor addons they don't like.

Show me proof.

Waterfox and Pale Moon are too small to do anything with the data even if they did collect it. Why would they leave that stuff in when they're fighting bloat?
Pro tip: they probably don't and don't want to.

>dedicate years of my life to fix a browser
No thanks.
Are you braindamaged though? Who'd even consider this a plausible solution?

Pale Moon or Waterfox. The latter is an easier transition.
> inb4 muh ad nauseum
It sounds fishy, I'm glad Furchild "blocked" it.

> chromium
> blink
What is wrong with these and how are they not open sores. Explain without resorting to memes.

It's libturd speak, just like """equality""" and """justice""".

I don't get how people can have such little of a life to wade through thousands of lines of code to edit and compile a web browser

You don't have to wade through all the code. Pretty much all code is modular and you can disable things from a central location with a single flag or removing a line. Just depends.

What I don't get is fuckers having literally 50GB of space necessary to compile the browser just lying around. It's not that it's a lot of space, but I have better uses for it.

Don't have this issue in Icecat. If you sacrifice freedom, don't be surprised when you get what's coming to you.

I'm so fucking glad I jumped off the Firefox train as soon as they implemented that """"""screenshots"""""" feature.
FF is trash now. It's basically Chrome with a nicer GUI. PaleMoon is the way to go right now.

it's a technology board not an autism board

Backed my install up, hoping I can get by without session manager.
Next bluescreen I'm probably gonna lose all my tabs :^(

I don't have blue hair, nor am of a questionable gender.