Why do people buy these overpriced laptops? I am genuinely curious? Is it to seem trendy or cool?

Why do people buy these overpriced laptops? I am genuinely curious? Is it to seem trendy or cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because i can afford the best

Successful marketing.

all apple products are a statement
sure they have some nice software but in the end people mainly buy it to show that they can afford it and that they're cool

for when you don't play video games but are jealous that gamers have expensive laptops

It really just astounds me why people wpuld go so far just to simply say a statement. The laptops are not necessarily bad, but they're so overpriced you could get a better performing rig for that much money. And the people I see them with usually complain how much money they don't have and how poor they are.

-OS
-Battery
-Building Quality

That only happens if youre poor. Are you poor?

Basically: muh logo.

Brandwhores like this exist everywhere. See mckormic, goya, A&F, Jordan, Nike, Ford, ect fags. People become attached to the logo and from then on the company doesn't even have to try hard anymore and serious design flaws are forgiven.

>-OS
Is objectively worse, even compared to the circus show that is unix/linux

>-Battery
>-Building Quality
is on par or worse than similar winblows laptops

eh. i don't have to think about the minutiae of the os and it has a nice 16:10 screen.

that's basically it.

Probably quite representative of the attitude. Personally I have a very strong aversion to slim laptops.
It's normally referred to as build quality.
Well this is the wrong perspective on this as well.
It's a sad truth that if we disregard appropriately measured laptops and gaming laptops (those looks, I'm not normally concerned much with looks but gaming laptops look more like toys than screwdrivers) you've got very few choices. And there these macs start becoming viable purchases.

>that's basically lit.*

The operating system. Some people like spicy food, some people like Mac OS.

MMMMMMMM BHUT DEY LOOK SOOOOOOOO GOOOD THE DESIGN IS SO MINIMAL AND LIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHT IT LOOKS SO SLEEK!! What do you think i'lll use THAT dinosaur computer when i go to the coffee shop to write about BLUMPf HAHAHAHA What do you mean functionality?

are you saying if mac OS was on other machines they would buy those? I doubt it

If it was a high quality machine, I don't see why not

Because they "just work," like how a tech-illiterate person would want a piece of technology to.

Your grandparents don't know how to set up anything that was made after the 70's so they get something that "just works," Appleshit.

Only nerds know how to set up their own technology so why not get something already optimized and pay a premium for the nerds to do it for you?

Windows and Linux offer too much in terms of customization, its too confusing. These people would rather have something simple and basic that "just works."

I'm not in their camp but I guess I can see where they're coming from especially if they acknowledge the fact they're incapable of adapting to a new tool.

The logo is all that matters.

I have to disagree on that because the logo would be become meaningless in a few years without their operating system & build quality.

When you start comparing them to machines in the same category they don't seem quite as overpriced. The XPS, Blade, Envy lines all fall into roughly similar pricing. Some are even more expensive than MacBooks.

The main exception on is the 15" MacBook, which is getting on for ridiculous.

see

Damn. It's objective, so I cannot dispute.

i mean, even as a guy who considers himself tech literate, it's nice to come home to personal computer that i don't have to think about.

and when i do, it has a bash shell.

Don't look at me homie, tiny market share, heavy fragmentation, and unwillingness of users to "upgrade" their old macbooks says it all.

every person I know that owns apple products is vapid, insecure or has unwarranted haughtiness. They either know very little about technology or pretend they know it all. If your personality is lacking and you command no respect why not buy apple products and play superior for that product's short supported lifetime. Watch apple adverts and learn who their target audience is. Women who pretend to do anything other than social media typing aimlessly on the grass in the back yard. Justin Long looking nu male who can't wait to tip his fedora your way as if apple represented atheism and your clunky device stands in the way of progress. I used to think man, fuck apple for their shitty products but fuck their consumers even more, at least you can spot a pleb a mile away from their sleek backlight logo that screams i'm a faggot, please rape my face.

Best ips displays on a laptop. The monitor is worth +800$ on its own.

They have Mac Osx which is a better operating system for daily tasks or especially creative work cause you can push them harder than Windows machines without them crashing and they also are better looking hardware and software wise and far easier to use in general

>6-bit + FRC
>non- OLED/LED
You're fucking retarded.

You're trying too hard.

If Apples marketing was shit rarely anyone would consider their products good. It is just your brain being manipulated cause you are susceptible to marketing and get pulled towards shiny shit.

apple replaces things for free even when warranty is out, and they're not assholes about it

Someone please the post the image about MacBooks and Applel products catching fire and blowing up

All I remember is that there's a Steve Jobs in the image that says it just burns

Please, I need a laugh... I've scoured around but can't find it

I've owned a few over the years and will buy another. Used to take my Windows laptops to uni back in the day so I didn't use them as a fashion statement. I just found they are good laptops. Just a bit overpriced. And with issues (e.g. thermal throttling), but then again, every laptop has issues.

I was in the market for a new laptop earlier this year and I had 2 requirements: 1) screen bigger than 1080p 2) 16GB RAM. Excluding all the shitty consumer models, Apple actually came out on top as THE CHEAPEST that met both criteria. Lenovo was a close second, and only slightly cheaper (like $40 cheaper) when on sale.

I just got one a week ago and I like it. I bought it because I wanted to switch from Windows due to its updates and because I wanted a light laptop with great battery life. And as a minor thing, I absolutely love the fonts and font rendering of macOS, not to mention how it looks. Makes me want to use my computer more. But I agree, they're expensive. I got mine on sale and I still think it's a tad too expensive. But I like this thing and I'll use it for many years to come, so in the end it'll be fine.

>Appleshit
man, you can physically feel the butthurt every time he uses this word

be cool at school

Let me know when Lincucks have Adobe software natively.

I go a predominantly-MacBook college. I use a ThinkPad, and my friends don't care, but I've overheard people making fun of their friend's laptop just because it was an Acer that ran Windows, and she (the Acer user) actually agreed with them but said "ohh, it's just what my parents got me". Two years ago, in my freshman year, I had an HP and a girl was unironically being friendly to me because "oh hey user, look, I have an HP too!" As you may guess, neither of these people have any understanding of the merits and downsides of their technology to it's competitors. Many people who buy "overpriced" MacBooks don't do so after first considering the comparable Windows laptop, but only choosing the MacBook because it's social points factor outweighed the cooling or specs benefit of the other. No, to these people the only option in the first place was the MacBook, because they harbor a preconceived notion (created by the company, fueled by their peers) that the MacBook is of better quality and works better. So, to them the laptop's price is just something to complain about but accept, not avoid, because there is no other company that makes the computer they want. There are some (few) who buy MacBooks due to certain features they want, such as one guy I know who got the 2lb MB Retina in 2015 because he bikes everywhere, and at that time that was the only modern offering at that weight.

-Longest battery in the market (10-12 hr)
-Power plugs is USB-C, meanwhile win laptops use cylindrical plugs, no USB-C
-Bootcamp allow installation of pirated window

lol
sent from my usb-c lapdog running gnu/linux with 16 hours of battery

>Bootcamp
You have to be 18 or older to post here.

see

Xcode

I truly believe, from my experience, that MacOS is slower and less stable than my ThinkPad running Manjaro i3. The numerous stupid quirks in the OS slow down my workflow, and I've experienced bugs and crashes in their official creative programs (FCPX, LPX), many more than in all the tried and true Linux software I use. I do not understand the meme that MacOS is "le easier to use" OS. It isn't, it makes things harder for me.

>proprietary botnet shitstation
>the best
Nope.

I dunno, owning an Acer laptop is a completely valid reason to mock someone.

>Because they "just work,"

Mac Os X is a usability disaster. Time Machine is confusing. You need read pages in google for understand system preferences. Nice "just work"

1. they just werk
2. they are sleek and cool looking
3. mac OS is sharp, intuitive, secure, and stable
4. all of the "apps" are also made by apple so you don't have to deal with doing a million shitty software updates or compatibility issues
5. the displays are always amazing
6. the cases are always rugged
7. I don't use it for gaymen or any serious work, just for surfing the internet, some word processing, watching stuff.

t. person with disposable income who buys a new macbook every couple of years

The operating system, build quality, battery life, display, and even just performance, as they are pretty great at everything they are used for.

And the form is pretty portable as well, however, I am talking about the 1997-2013 apple products, the 2012 line is pretty impressive, but not the newer models, they are pretty lackluster and useless. The 2012 line of Apple MacBooks is pretty competitive for the price, and also is robust at what they do.

Plus the trackpad integration is the best I have ever seen on a lapdog.

Plus osx is pretty maintenance free and reliable. And you have Bootcamp, which provides easy windows installation if required, and installations as well, all automated and effortless.

At the end of the day, performance, reliability, stability, durability, and quality.

MBP's used to be great and not particularly overpriced compared to similar stuff like X1C. Sad that they're dropping the ball nowadays with both hardware and software.

I like unixy stuff and find it more bearable to use than linux. Also devs make some pretty nice productivity software for mac.

Doesn't the lack of any functioning security bother you though?

Every system will be hacked eventually.

It’s completely normal for people that never had an expensive laptop to feel like they are overpriced.

It just makes me sad that not everyone can afford the best that technology has to offer

because they're good products you pretentious sperglord

Tech companies uses them because they are stable and has built in bash shell

They work really well for normals, grandma will never complain about it being slow or confusing. They have better battery life than most Windows machines. They're also a status symbol.

Normals use Microshit, they are more used to le startbutton,

The ones who use macs buy em for the superior operating system and performance for non faggot gayming.

If anything Macs are a minority and opposite of being a norm fag.

No other laptop is as light with the screen as good

*nix os with little setup and tweaking

*nix os with good battery life

iterm2

MacOS has an extremely useful and powerful search feature

seamless integration with iPhone

durable, portable, and nice looking form factor

dankest trackpad

high resale value

Laptops with similar specs (pcie SSD, same form factor, screen, etc) are basically the same price and don't come with macOS so why would I ever buy them?

Don't tell me that I could install lincucks on it... I tweak linux servers for work all the time, why would I want to do that on my workstation and personal computers?

Anybody who says macOS isn't good for work is a gaymer NEET who needs to head strait back to

This, pretty much.

Because it makes a comfy bed shitposting machine. Nothing more.
Sure I could have gone with a 400€ ThinkPad instead of a 800€ MBP, but I just want a comfy machine that works.

you're talking about some other laptop than the OP?

cause the air has a shit screen

>literally too dumb to use a mac
What?

You realize this is your problem not our?

>Needs to use Google to understand system preferences.
You're actually retarded, please stop posting here.

There is no reason at all. Most ultrabooks at the same price point has the same level of build quality and will probably be much more powerful.
However I will still go for a MacBook Pro because I have used it for so long that Windows feels so weird to me, and despite me loving GNU/Linux my work is very hateful towards libre based software. So unless Mac OS is a need and you absolutely hate 16:9 then Macs are the way to go.

That's wrong, tho. Hoewver your prolly just millenial faggot that doesn't remember.

Wait a sec. Has Mac OS become more popular? But I thought neo Apple scared away the users.

i thought just about a macbook
air is cheap shit

I was making better money then than I am now, but I have a bae 11" mba that is one of my favorite computers ever. Comfy low res screen + bretty gud i7 dual core means Lightroom tears through previews because it isn't rendering them retina quality. For my purposes as a photographer who occasionally travels, it's perfect. Slips into a camera bag, light, solid aluminum unibody build quality, just a quality machine.

At my desk I have a monster Hackintosh with a 4790k, 1080ti, 32gb WAM and 4k & 2.5k monitors, life's grud mang.

1) If you're an iOS/Mac developer you pretty much don't have a choice but to use macos, and macbooks are more mobile than iMacs

2) Really good graphic design, video editing software

3) Unix-like experience without too much hassle and much more stable than Linux

4) Excellent UI/UX and hardware build quality, thin and comfy

5) Brand and marketing

6) Normies are fucking stupid

>Time Machine is confusing.
you a hit a button that says back-up and it saves every file on your system. how confusing.

I bought it because I made a wrong choice.
Before buying it a lot of girls were magnetised to me... But now - only gays.

1st computer was a Mac IIsi btw, been a user since the system 6 days. QoL on a Mac system is so much nicer for anyone with a lick of design sense. A lot of modern Apple's decisions make me sad (non-upgradeable internals, prestige bullshit like the Apple Watch Edition, the what-in-gods-name-were-they-thinking touchbar) but I still think macOS is the comfiest environment for me personally. I use Windows for gaymes, used to fuck around with Linux on shitbox Dells, I feel like I give everything a fair shot.

MacOS sucks. It used to be great, but now... WHY FUCKING SPOTLIGHT SEARCH IS FULL-SCREEN? WHY FUCKING WIFI IS ALWAYS DISCONNECTING?
FUCK THIS SOFTWARE SHIT, WINDOWS... NO, EVEN LINUX WITH THE MOST WORST DE IS BETTER AND MORE USER-FRIENDLY, THAT ANY MACOS NEWER THAN 10.9

>DO I FIT IN NOW GUYS!!

Funny thing that, Wifi keeps disconnecting on my Thinkpad no matter what I try but it never happens on my MBP

1) Yup. Can't disagree.

2) Pretty much everything is cross-platform with Windows nowadays, and Adobe ceased giving a fuck about platform-specific design standards a long time ago, look at the chimeric monster of CC. But yes, if you're in music production or prosumer-level video, Apple has something for you.

3) Stable, heh. I guess. There's a reason Apple vets wait to upgrade OSes until there's a couple of point release hotfixes deep. Generally speaking though, you're right. Brew is nice.

4) Word. Nobody goes at thin as hard as Apple. I still prefer chunky mech keyboards and think the new butterfly switches are atrocious.

5) Apple's massive retail presence is somewhat nice in that there's almost always an official store or licensed repairer nearby if you need service.

6) Normies coming to Apple finally after so many years in the desert feels... weird. But it means the computers get cheaper, so whatever.

look again, it's not even on the graph lmao

What WiFi do you have in ThinkPad?

In my MacBook Air I have Broadcom shit. But in my pseudo-Thinkpad E330 Intel WiFi and it never failed.
In my Asus I have Atheos WiFi, which failed once.

I haven't checked recently, but there was nothing that could go toe to toe with the 11"MB in size/weight AND specs when it came out. A 256gb hard drive along with the 3000p or whatever screen is actually pretty rare in a 900 gram machine.
Being able to run an MS office suite and a bash terminal on the same machine is really convenient. I understand there's bash on windows now but I haven't tried it and tbqh I fucking hate windows. I might like it even better if ms office could run properly on a Linux machine (not the WINE bullshit we have now) but Mac OS is currently the best option.
They're certainly not without flaws but the pros outweigh the cons for me. If I needed a machine with a heavy processor I might not think so but I don't. (70% of my work is data analysis in Rstudio but we have a server for that, 20% is powerpoint and 10% is random other shit, both can easily be done on a MacBook).

It heavily depends on the user case but there are definitely valid arguments to be made in favor of buying a MacBook other than muh shiny apple machine.

Realtek, I think

kek

Honestly, the touch bar is pretty good, nothing revolutionary, but I'd rather have it than static function keys. It makes interacting with the computer a bit more faster and easier.

They're great for designing and using Adobe software on

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
>same problems as above plus:
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

First of all, calm the fuck down

>WHY FUCKING SPOTLIGHT SEARCH IS FULL-SCREEN

No its not, it just shows up in the middle of the screen. Feels quite natural if you use the keyboard short cut to access it.

> WHY FUCKING WIFI IS ALWAYS DISCONNECTING

this never happens to me.

> EVEN LINUX WITH THE MOST WORST DE IS BETTER AND MORE USER-FRIENDLY

Hyperbole. I use fedora 27 as my workstation at work and it is close to user friendly but still has some glaring issues. The screen stutters when I scroll. My computer cant hibernate because the drivers don't exist for that machine's motherboard. The wifi drops and is incredibly unreliable because intel never made drivers for that card for linux.

macOS has none of the problems while still providing all of the same benefits, features plus more.

>linux
>16 h battery

heh

forgot to mention using a 5lb battery brick add-on

>the best
*breaths in*
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The old retina macbook pro was a good machine with a few cancerous parts and the MBA was an ok machine with some more advanced cancer. Their new laptops are cancer masquerading as laptops though.

I'm a macfag but don't delude yourself, Macs are far from the best in terms of price to power ratio

not to mention
>no touchscreen

>the best
>a fucking TN panel that isn't even Full HD

Mac OS is comfy, and Mac build quality is great, don't lie because you want to jerk off your apple hateboner

>good build quality
>beautiful screen
>16:10 master race

>sleek
>has to carry around adapters for basic ass, standard ports

How will mactoddlers ever recover?