/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Old Thread: (Cross-thread)#
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP 2570p/2170p/8570w, Dell E6430/E6440, IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FW-RLkzjAS8)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

X61t best girl

The other thread was redirected here so I guess I'll post again
I bought an x220 a while ago that had some sort of retarded European keyboard layout. I thought I would be able to replace it with the keyboard from my w510 I never use, but when I tried it, the only buttons that work are the arrow keys, the escape button, power button, and thinkvantage button. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to deal with the keyboard it came with

w2c internal/external t440s batteries? am i at the mercy of the chinks?

i found a cheap t61, it's my first buy, is there something i need know or ask to the seller first?

Thinking of buying an X240 off ebae, how can I tell if it has TN screen?
1366 X 768 RESOLUTION HD is all the guy's written.

>tfw father's work has over 200 T420s and X220s in storage that they're just getting rid of
>tfw I can have all of them
>for free

Is it possible to change the bios splashscreen on a t460p?

pls be in uk :(

Nope, US

hi

If you pay for shipping I'll give you one

Are you real?

Yes

Opinions on x1 carbons? Already have (and love) my maxed out i7 x220, just looking for something new to play around with. Not looking at latest gen, rather a cheaper secondhand one on eBay.

they're shit

I've heard that from briefly looking into them, every gen? Just looking for that limited but ultraportable 11" macbook air / netbook vibe, something always on just for internet and ssh.

drivers im guessing

if you are real, I'd be interested in some as well

>sell them on Craigslist/Ebay
>profit

Yeah sure. When I get more info and get my hands on them I'll post my contact info and I'll hook you up.

Gen 3 and up are "ok", you asked and received in the last thread

I'd like to help some fwens first, profit later

first time asking, any advantage to gen 4 over 3; any particular configurations/mods? the thinkwiki pages are a bit sparse

the hero Sup Forums doesn't deserve

sounds fake, put one in good condition on eBay and ill buy it for 50 bucks

>sounds fake

Your loss bekus.

I'd like one if you're willing to do overseas shipping please ;-;.

If you can pay for shipping

You're lying stupid frog, you don't have father u mon sucks dicks for money

Looks like someone doesn't want a free thonkpad

specs? an x220 sounds dope
email me
[email protected]

is this a good deal?

>company is throwing out at least 15000$ worth of equipment
yeah right

How much space is on that there SSD

Welgum to US healthcare

I'll follow the other guy's lead, interested in x220 (even just parts as I need some) and T420 as I've never had one. [email protected]

I think almost half of my homelab is stuff heading to the dumpsters, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

[email protected]
Ill pay for overseas shipping
x220 please

I can pay for US shipping
[email protected]

can pay for two T420s, shoot me an email if you are interested in parting with them to another user

[email protected]

stops bullying autists frog

I dun goofed. Bought mu X220 ages ago as a toy, now that I started using it for work I tried running VirtualBox, but as it turns out VT-x is disabled in BIOS... and my eBay bought ex-business X220 has a BIOS password. Is short-circuiting like a Pajeet (youtube.com/watch?v=FW-RLkzjAS8) the easiest way to reset this?
If I really have to take it apart, I'm thinking about flashing coreboot/nuking ME - any info on that would be really appreciated

Yeah the shorting method works just fine it took me about 45min to get the timing right but its not hard at all

well it turns out that keyboard is just broken, i just ordered a replacement keyboard

>fully chaged t440s
>web browsing and downloading
>battery at 10% in 2.5hrs

what the fuck

No baka the x60s is better.

ebay, or take the risk and order a chink battery on Aliexpress

Old battery maybe?

Has anyone opened up a x220/x230 battery? Are they just stacks of 18650s?

POST THE NICEST THINKPAD BRANDED WALLPAPERS

yes they are but be careful, some if not all of the batteries have a security feature if they loose voltage the circuit goes dead. To swap out the batteries, you'll have to solder the new in parallel before removing the old batteries

yeah. just did a battery report. internal battery @ 20% wear, and external at 28%

gg

>READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST
Stop posting this shit, there isn't even a buyer's guide anymore.

If there is no physical damage, and if you can access the BIOS. You will have to change the trackpad apparently tho.

Also, K2000M or K1000M?

>bid with 3 days left
it's gonna shoot up like a motherfucker.

Fucking HP shill
I'd rather have you insult ThinkPad users with your shitty images than having you hijack the fucking OP to shill for your shitty company
It already said
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)
you fuck
Your shilling is the reason newfags get triggered when someone posts non-thinkpad business laptops on /tpg/

thoughts on T61

>200 Thinkpads
>FOR FREE

it won't be after 3 days

I used this one for a while.

Is there anything wrong with getting an X240 over an X230

So whats a good long lasting aftermarket battery for a thinkpad t420? Mine only lasts about a couple of hours.

>spent $105 on a 68+ and internal battery for the t440s.

i hope its worth it

My X200 shit the bed and I was too lazy to install an OS again on my T400. So, I just moved the SSD from my X200 to my T400. Am I going to run into any issues? I use gentoo.

onlyone way to find out

faggot

It's been working pretty good so far. But mpv did freeze my computer after ~15 minutes of playback.

Shoot me an email if you're not just shitposting, I'm interested in adding a T420 or X220 to my collection.

Photo time

Nice image, user! Where was this taken?

for a second i thought you had taken a bite out of the trackpad

Just my backyard.
Got it second hand, thought I'd cleaned everything but I must have missed the screen.

where are you located?

Which high performing models offer an RS232 port? I've been looking for a stream lined list bust have failed.

Is $600 for a Thinkpad W541 a good price? It's got the 4810QM and a 512GB SDD

bleez hook Sup Forums up

[email protected]

Shitty soldered ULV CPU

aren't the x230/x220 cpus soldered as well?

Well, yeah, but those aren't ULV underperforming garbage

QUESTION: Will a x200 Battery and/or power supply fit a T60?

Battery no, power supply yes.

Plz be nice to an eurofag
[email protected]

if you're feeling charitable i'm in for a x220, i'll pay for any shipping and anything you need
[email protected]

alright it can't hurt to try
[email protected]

What laptops would you guys recommend other than older thinkpads? I have an x200, and like the x60. Just wondering what else is out there.

I think Dell's look like cheap shit, and HP's even cheaper, shittier shit. I also have a CF-29 ToughBook, which is great but the thing is a beast -- its basically a brief case.

What else is out there?

europoor reporting in, if you are still here. ready to pay for shipping
[email protected]

Free Thonkpad user here. I will be checking out the laptops sometimes next week. I'll update you goyim on the size, condition and quantity then.

It depends what information the seller has already provided and what you intend to use it for. You can't Libreboot that machine without replacing the motherboard.

>want a t21/22 to run win98
>people want $100 for working ones
>the rest dont have RAM or drives

I fucking love my X60s. I don't know why but I prefer writing on it more than I do my T60.

Any point in giving you our email addresses now or better wait 'til later?

I'll save em all just in case

Thoughts on X60 vs X200? Thinking of "downgrading"

An x220 would be awesome, [email protected]

I'm not very familiar with the X200 as I've never had one. But I love my X60s and will never part with it. Librebootable through software without modification, good battery life, small, compact. The 1.66ghz low voltage processor is not very good for many tasks but I use it for word processing and text based browsing and it is absolutely perfect for that.

[email protected]
Doing Stallman proud user

I'm more wondering what the difference is. They're both Core2duo. They're both the "classic" boxy aesthetic. Same keyboards. The X60 AFAIK only goes up to 4gb ram, while the X200 can go up to 8gb, but that's not an issue for me.

The X200 probably has a better graphics card, but who cares. Maybe the x200 has a better resolution display?

It's that IBM logo that seals the deal tho

>The X60 AFAIK only goes up to 4gb ram,
Only 3gb will be usable due to chipset limitations and the 32bit processor. And yes as far as I'm aware the display isn't as good as the X200, but it still looks good. It's all going to depend what you want to use it for. It won't be great for watching videos.

i wont be able to check the threads in a week because im going to visit my folks abroad. It would be nice if you could inform us about your situation through email

>Only 3gb will be usable due to chipset limitations

Wow that really bites.

What does Sup Forums think of old Fujitsus?

They were basically Japanese clones of ThinkPads