Is Freesync worth extra 60 bucks?

Is Freesync worth extra 60 bucks?

I´ve got a 1080p 75hz Freesync monitor and trying to decide which gpu to buy.
I really want to get the Rx 580 8gb but its way overpriced right now.

GPU prices where I live:

rx580 8gb: 310+€
gtx 1060 6gb: 260+€
rx 580 4gb: 260€
rx 570 4gb: 230€
gtx 1060 3gb: 205-225€

Should I just buy the 1060 6gb or should I buy the 570 for 230?
I do want to use Freesync but I dont know if its worth it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.fr/Sapphire-Nitro-graphique-Radeon-Express/dp/B071Y7CKM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513496217&sr=8-1&keywords=rx 580
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Not buying a superior gsync monitor

I´m a poorfag...

>Paying an extra $200 for technology that's only slightly superior at this point

>Only slightly superior using real parts vs software that costs nothing

I'm still trying to find a gsynconitor but there is such low variety.

How come I don't have freesync or gsync but still don't have any screen tearing?

Because you are dumb and dont know how freesync and gsync work. Now get the fuck out of g you filthy chineese cartoon poster

>Is Freesync worth extra 60 bucks?
holy shit yes, put it this way, g/freesync completely negates having an underpowered gpu because you no longer have obnoxious and jarring stuttering when your framerate drops, the technology isn't perfect however so when your framerate does drop it will feel like game animation has slow motion applied to it but it's incredibly smooth and won't break immersion and you have to actively be looking out for it to notice it, it's a world of difference when you turn g/freesync off and suddenly have janky stuttering and lag all over the place when your framrate drops, not to mention you get zero tearing with g/freesync
the only situations you wouldn't need g/freesync on is when your framerate always exceeds your monitors refresh rate and you don't mind tearing or don't mind the added input lag from vsync - in other words if you never go below 60/75fps you won't benefit a great deal, but it's still totally worth it imo for those games that are performance hogs and do have dips below 60/75/whatever fps
t. r9 290x still working fine on 4k thanks to freesync

screen tearing is only tangentially related to g/freesync and can be mitigated by double/triple buffering or vsync, most desktops have a form of double buffering enabled by default (typically called desktop composition) and most games offer vsync options although not all games will be affected by tearing meaning you likely don't experience tearing because you use vsync in games and have a composting desktop

for everyone else though, monitors traditionally grab a frame from the framebuffer every 60hz which means you will get tearing if the gpu is in the middle of rendering a moving frame like panning video or first person camera movement in a game, double/triple buffering and vsync solve this tearing by having the gpu render frames in advanced, hence the performance and input lag, so that the gpu always has a full frame in the framebuffer ready for when the gpu grabs it - this also causes stuttering when your gpu doesn't have enough frames ready as the monitor has to display the same frame twice, so instead of displaying a single frame for 16.6ms you get the same single frame for 33.3ms
g/freesync solve the same issue by having the monitor change its refresh rate depending on how long it takes the gpu to render a frame, if you suddenly go from rendering frames at 60fps to 45fps you only go from rendering frames once every 16.6ms to once every 22.2ms so you'll get one frame that takes 5.6ms longer to display than the last but no consecutive frames after that will have any extra delay in being displayed, which is a LOT better than having every couple of frames taking 16.6ms extra to render, however as most framerate drops are a lot smoother it's likely you'll never experience a full extra 5.6ms delay at once but it will be more gradual - hence the slow motion type effect as frames gradually take a few ms longer to render, or a speed up in animation when they take less time to render
basically g/freesync is decent

>paying extra for proprietary garbage
The state of Sup Forums manchildren

75hz freesync monitors often have input lag at 60hz on nvidia cards and won't run at 75hz on a nvidia card.

>nvidia gimps themselves against a fucking freeware alternative
Pathetic.

All in the name of being assholes.

>Hey goy spend $40 more for gsync

>$40
More like $200

>1080p
M8 just get the rx 580 4gb model, there is no reason to have more than that right now - game dev are just being retarded with uncompressed shit at 4-8k textures even in tiny shit like a paper on the floor just so they can say their game is heavy or some other kinda of shitty talk, like most vram is consumed by shaders/shadows and there is none visual difference (most of time) when we talk about high preset (were 4gb is enough) and ultra/hyper (were you could use 8gb). Shit is meant for 1440p and 4K.
By the time that's filled with decent data you're probably going to upgrade.

anyway, i would just wait for navi or something new tbqh

Triple buffering (which is fine, input lag is a meme in most cases) or enhanced sync (no idea how that works desu)

It's worth 60 bux.

Triple buffering or enhanced sync has nothing to do with it, anime poster is showing how retarded he is like vsync hasnt existed for like the last 40 years, and just now with freesync and gsync we have tear-free displays.

>1080p
>6Gb/8GB

kek.
Get 3 or 4 GB cards for this resolution.

I'd get the 4GB 580

>Want 144Hz monitor
>Can't bring myself to buy TN trash or spend $650 for the IPS monitor lottery
why live, I hope something changes at CES this year

amazon.fr/Sapphire-Nitro-graphique-Radeon-Express/dp/B071Y7CKM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513496217&sr=8-1&keywords=rx 580

beautiful explanation user, thanks
are there freesync laptops?

Freesync is proprietary.

Have a 144hz freesync monitor with a nvidia card. Never notice any tearing. Goy-sync is just another meme to scam more money out of you.

>changes at CES
>any year

Not free, AMD soyboy. FreeSync requires the card to have extra hardware in it. gSync puts that hardware into the monitor instead; thus why the monitor is more expensive whilst making the card "cheaper". FreeSync just needs the monitor to have some software.

How suprising, Sup Forums knows nothing about tech.

I thought it was an ancient open protocol that they just recently revived

Isn't screen tearing only a problem when the frame rate exceeds the refresh rate? I've got a 144hz monitor without gsync or freesync and it never tears, as the games I play tend to never even pass 110 fps.

>Is Freesync worth extra 60 bucks?
yes

Hold it right there nigger gsync still requires the feature on the hardware so stop spewing BS.

Freesync is a proprietary extension to VESA Adaptive Sync.

It depends a lot on what kind of monitor and GPU setup you have and what kind of games you are going to play.

At 1080p with a modern GPU, the frame rates you are pushing will be so high that the only benefit of a Freesync or G-sync monitor would be the elimination of screen tearing. Whether this is something you value is entirely up to you, personally I do not notice screen tearing unless the frame rate drops drastically enough for there to be noticeable stuttering.

So in my experience, the biggest benefit of this technology and when most people will notice it is when frame rates are pushed below an "acceptable" level continuously, think 4K gaming. Reading between the lines here, a monitor with this technology might extend the longevity of your GPU.

Freesynch is being integrated into the linux kernel as we speak.

It's not ancient, but it's an eDP (laptop monitors) specification that got adapted for DisplayPort.

If you want the real joke, nvidia already supports that protocol on laptops. G-Sync on laptop literally is the same shit as Freesync.

>1080+gsync monitor is $300au cheaper than vega + freesync
superb job amd