/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 2666 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports (if you have to use RAM off the QVL, update BIOS and there's a decent chance it'll work)

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

cryorig.com/taku_us.php
pcpartpicker.com/list/rQsn3F
bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-gx-pc-vr-headset-w-controllers-bundle-i7-7700-3tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1060-win10/b0009246.aspx
pcpartpicker.com/list/3RBzbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/jwP8WX
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kz3NXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/BvBzbj
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the best 120mm fans in your opinion?

what criteria are you judging them by
price, noise, durability, flashy lights?

Using programs like HW Monitor and CPUZ to determine if its OC'd or not

Anyway Ryzen Master seems to be working for overclocking now, it just seems weird to me that no CPU overclocking settings work on the BIOS itself. Meanwhile I can still overclock my Ram

Finished list for this build. Case is this one:
cryorig.com/taku_us.php

reminder that amd is communism

CFM

That's a bullsht metric because it's not standardized. All fan manufacturers come up with their own bullshit way of measuring CFM, so a lot of them come nowhere near their advertised speed.

>Z370
>on a locked cpu

NYET comrade.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rQsn3F
how this look? aiming for a sub 1000$ gaming build.

If anyone cares about airflow they buy a fucking server fan (the likes that Delta and San Ace make) and wire the pwm to their mobo and 12v to their psu to get best of both worlds. My own experience has taught me that with enough brute force you can air cool a 8c vishera chip to 5ghz at under 60c when at load with a big heatsink and delta fans.

Christ with such a setup I bet you could air cool a 7980XE.

Z370 is the only coffeelake ITX in PCPP right now.

Make fan shrouds to concentrate the air flow around the heatpipes and perhaps you can air cool a Skylake-X.

what's a good brand for case fans, Sup Forums?

The main problem the big skylake-x chips have is moving the heat from the die to the IHS. No amount of cooling fixes this unless you delid.

It's all about heat dissipation/transfer at any given moment. If the heat transfer between the silicon and IHS is shit, you have to make sure that the IHS remains consistently cooler than the transfer medium to prevent heat traps.

This is what I'm working with currently. Should I upgrade from my 980TI? I can get 1600mhz on the core with a +75mhz voltage bump.

Should I wait on the new 1200 series? Or buy a 1080TI? Money really isn't an issue. Or should I go for SLI 980TI?

Looking to replace a clicking 1tb HDD with a similar capacity SSD and remove the HDD enclosure from my case altogether. It's an X79 board so it has to be sata.
Think I've narrowed it down to a Samsung 850 Evo but I'm wondering if there's any others worth considering? Crucial MX300?
In Australia and can find the Samsung for $400 from a local vendor.

$400 for a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB isn't terrible. Even in the US it goes for almost $380. If you have the money, the Samsung drives are much better than the Crucial stuff.

noise and durability. Flashy lights is a plus

that's not me, it's some larpign faggot

Can something be done to mitigate high temps on +40ÂșC ambient temperatures?

What's the best option for incorporating wi-fi into my Z370 motherboard? USB? PCIe? M.2?

M.2 Wifi adapters seem difficult to find.

there are people in this thread willing to to put up with 20db+ from their fans and "cooling setups"

Can someone help me out? Been trying to fit my EVGA 1080 FTW2 into my Gigabyte Gaming 3 mobo and it looks like it won't fully clip into place. It looks like the rear slot bracket (ie the part that's supposed to slide in between the mobo and the back of the case) isn't going in completely and it leaves the card tilted on one side. I'm 99% sure I put the mobo standoffs in correctly but I can't think of any other reason why this shit is happening.

the right end of the PCIe slot should look like this. Make sure that the clip is pressed down before trying to insert the card. When you push the card in it should come up, securing it in place. Takes a bit of pressure to do so. Make sure it's not colliding with anything on the slotblade.

Also you need to push this clip back down if you want to take the card out or you'll rip the slot out if you're retarded to pull hard enough.

This is true:

That's disgusting.

>Sup Forums in charge of hardware
ryzens IPC is competitive, even with the higher clockspeed an 8600K may achieve it isn't to much of a difference in single thread performance. Heck, i'm using PCSX2 on my xeon E3 1230v3 and it has enough performance.

I don't know if the drivers have any influence for AMD GPUs, but since they're not really competitive in most price brackets right now anyways it doesn't matter to much.

>it isn't to much of a difference in single thread performance
>20-30% better isn't much of a difference
Yeah sure, whatever AMD shill.

Anyone know how to activate a Windows 7 key using a USB drive
the USB drive is all ready but I cant find whatever it is to activate it.
The motherboard is a ASRock AB350M
any help would be great.

yes, that isn't to much of a difference. PCSX2 runs everything in threw at it with an even worse CPU.

Thanks. I've read that about the drives too, and the Samsung seems to have a better warranty than others in that price point.

Thanks for the quick reply but the problem I have is that the other side of the gpu isn't going in right, not the side with the clip that you can pull down (that side goes in just fine).

Here's a picture of how the screw holes aren't lining up with the homes on the case. The GPU isn't fixed in the mobo tightly, I can still nudge it up and down a little. Is that normal?

>Is that normal?
It's normal for there to be a bit of give, that looks alright to me.

How do I get Windows to work without paying for it?

Microsoft Toolkit

Would it be worth it to build a PC, or to just get this prebuilt
bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-gx-pc-vr-headset-w-controllers-bundle-i7-7700-3tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1060-win10/b0009246.aspx

Nothing wrong with a locked CPU on a Z chipset. Room for an unlocked upgrade, and you can use fast RAM.
The only sin is unlocked CPU with a a locked chipset

You don't need paste

Keep what you've got
Monitor is meh. 980Ti is plenty for it

Buy a mobo with onboard wifi

Read OP

Might be ok, not sure about canada bux

>room to waste money in the future

nice login user.

Sorry, in my other post , I assumed you were talking about a mITX board. If you're asking about a normal sized Z board, just get a PCIe adapter.

>this spacing
Trash, GTFO my Sup Forums

It's normal that the screw holes don't line up, so long as the tab on the gpu is flush or very close to it with the bracket.

You seem upset, maybe next time don't give out shit advice.

:^)

Daily reminder that if your components are not ugly, and your case not at least 10 years old, you belong to Sup Forums

How should I improve this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/3RBzbj

How's this look?
pcpartpicker.com/list/jwP8WX

Does the ryzen come with a cpu fan? Also, no HDD?

Ditch the gay looking case.

Just broke the plastic tab for screwing the ring with logo on my wraith spire. Now I can orient it any way I want without unscrewing anything. Accidentally fixed the single most annoying thing of that cooler.

>Does the ryzen come with a cpu fan?
It does.
>Also, no HDD?
Already have one.

Aside from the A E S T H E T I C, what can I do?

Looks good then. Nice little budget build.

It's fine to mix and match different HDD/SDD brands right?

Yep.
Good to know, thanks.

>Buy a mobo with onboard wifi
Nope, they're trash.

Is logicalincrements still a decent way to go if I want to be a lazy shit and don't mind paying only a little extra?

You can mix and match brands for any components. It's all standardized interfaces.

I have Intel CPU, MSI mobo, Gigabyte graphics card, two different types of Kingston RAM, WD and Seagate HDDs, Samsung SSD, Dell and Benq monitor... RAM is literally the only thing I have more than one item of of the same brand. Over 5 years with this system and zero issues. PC master race.

i7 is overkill for gaming

I thought he was asking about mITX from the sound of his question. Obviously you wouldn't buy onboard wifi unless you're getting mITX

>You can mix and match brands for any components
True but for RMAs and tech support calls it's nice to have at least your mobo and graphics card from the same manufacturer

No, look at the builds in the OP

>i7 is overkill for gaming
I know, I also do video and photos editing work for local businesses and some animation, so I want to be sure I have something enough for my workload.

So how much does it usually cost to get someone to get apply thermal paste on a CPU and apply a cooler?

Last time I tried doing this I got thermal paste in the fucking socket and pretty much destroyed my desktop.

>msi rep detected.

>ANNIHILATOR ULTRA XFORCE FATAL1TY GODLIKE

fuck

Finished my first build and installed Windows. What's next? I just install whatever drivers I need and that's it?

Yep, install speccy and and your other must have programs. Disable all startup shit you don't need by clicking on the tab in the Task Manager (if you're on 10, run msconfig otherwise)

CAUTION
ULTIMATE POWER

this one goes to 11

Which z370 board to get? I would like to avoid RGB, if possible.

your first concern should be the included I/O like vga, dvi, optical audio ect since every RGB LED has the option to just turn it off completely
asrock itx/ac or pro4 are probably the cheapest no led option

what are some good quality IPS monitors for 1440p gaming?

Building a gaming pc planning on using a normal 60hz 1080p monitor. Budget around $1100 to $1200 dollars.

After reading OP's notes this is what I got. Any thoughts or recommendations? I would like to play games like Monster Hunter World, Dragon ball Fighterz...basically games as they come out on the highest setting or at least high setting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Kz3NXH

Currently with a shit PC.
Will getting an 8700k be worth it in the long run?

Absolutely. Nothing AMD can come up with for the AM4 socket until Zen2 will compete with it. Not in single-thread or multithread.
>muh Zen+
It will still not be good enough to beat the 8700K, especially since you can over clock it to 5.0GHz easily. Zen+ will not clock as high.

How about not buying cuck lake then

>Will getting an 8700k be worth it in the long run?
no

and you said the same thing about the 7700k noseberg, no one cares

Even with a 10% IPC uplift (not likely, since Zen+ is just a refresh on a slightly more optimized "12nm" fab), the next Ryzen models don't have the clockspeed to compete with Coffee Lake. The 8700K will still match the 2700X in multi-thread and stomp it in single-thread at 5.0GHz for roughly the same price. It will be better at most games than any Zen CPU for the foreseeable future because of it.

Which local vendor, am also in australia.

How about 8600k

Why is it bad? OP says 7xxx are defunct. And anything below that seems like a downgrade to me.

The 8600K will shame both the 1600(X) and the 2600(X) in nearly games. Ryzen can't keep up with Coffee Lake's clockspeed.

100% normal, the screw holes dont naturally line up, engineering cant always be completely accurate.

I swar I would buy this only because of how it looks

What's the best way to return a ram kit in the mail if I don't have the original packaging?

Im unironically thinking about buying this only because of how it looks, I dont do any professional editing

go to your local electronic store of choice and ask if they have any discarded plastic clamshells for RAM you can have. Then pick up a bubble envelope.

how's my 1440p build looking?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BvBzbj

Are there any good cases for under $150 with 10gbps front panel USB? Found the Lian Li 550 but it's $190 and I don't like 120mm fans. Don't need any 5.25" or more than two 3.5" bays.

that looks sexy as hell I don't blame you

and your thoughts?

no airflow

>2x 4gb ram
Please go single channel or 2x 8gb directly.
>3TB HDD
Avoid 3TB hdd drives, they have bad warranty rates. 2TB or 4TB are ideal.
>1440p monitor @ 60hz and no memesync
Are you sure you want to continue, yes no ?

That is one hideous looking motherboard.

I want the meme case meme to end
either make everything into mini-ITX boxes or bring back the mid-tower airflow

>will be better at most games than any Zen CPU for the foreseeable future because of it
but how will your ego recover after intels next release?

>2x4gb ram
didnt notice that haha

>3tb hdd
how's the warranty any different than 2tb or 4tb?

>1440p monitor
any 1440p g-sync IPS monitor is insanely overpriced

I can't find anything with a mesh front that doesn't look like dogshit

You mean the next intel sandy bridge refresh? Check the news, intel has nothing new until 2019

Just stating the facts. Intel has a superior and much more mature node than what AMD uses, thus can reach much higher frequencies. 12nm is just the older 14nm LPP node with minor tweaks and heavy marketing applied (and their 14nm LPP is really a 16-18nm). Ryzen+ will not hit 5.0GHz like Coffee Lake.

Intel has Cannon Lake and Ice Lake coming out soon. Then they're moving beyond x86-64.

just stay away from mid-capacity consumer Seagate drives, they fucking blow. You won't care about the warranty when you lose your video collection or your archive of photos a year or two down the line