I HATE MY LIFE tech stories, I'll start

I HATE MY LIFE tech stories, I'll start.

>Friend calls with laptop problem, pic related
>"user my fan makes really loud noises, could you help clean it up and install windows 7?"
>whynot.jpg
>clean the fan, add new thermal paste, install windows 7, no drivers
>"user I have all the drivers on my external HDD"
>nice.jpg
>install all the drivers, no wifi
>search for hours in online forums, no wifi
>"I need my laptop tomorrow afternoon, user. You can keep looking for a solution till then"
>spend half of my weekend looking for a solution
>realize this is an old laptop
>hidden on the underside is a physical wifi switch
>switch from off to on, wifi
>I FUCKING HATE MY LIFE, WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

So Sup Forums what kind of stories do you have?

Other urls found in this thread:

notalwaysright.com/tag/tech-support/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pussy.

>>spend half of my weekend looking for a solution
>>realize this is an old laptop
>>hidden on the underside is a physical wifi switch
>>switch from off to on, wifi
literally my first debian expierience. I spend like 2 hours installing, renstalling, probing reprobing and praying at the proprietary iwlwifi driver and was almost ready to give up and blame it on GNU/Linux being shit until I realized i bumped the switch and the card was just turned off.

The next day I was exploring the magic of wildcards in the shell and put the space in the wrong place and ended um rm -rf' *'ing my entire /usr/bin.

Back when having a network killswitch was a security feature. Now having your hidden botnet 3G radio transmitters always on is a feature.

>physical wifi switch
More lappys should have this

Fair enough, but it's a feature that you forget about which will make you question your sanity when dealing with drivers. At least for me.

How do I stop buying useless shit?

Start buying useful shit.

Not on the bottom

I was once installing Debian, and got scared that something was broken when I couldn't get a connection over the Ethernet port. The laptop was docked and I plugged the cable into the laptop itself...

> Hey user, will you do me a favour?
> Saying yes implies you will take on all responsiblity and it's your fault if anything goes wrong
fell for the techcuck meme

notalwaysright.com/tag/tech-support/
Enjoy

>Someone asked me to help him with a problem and it took me a bit longer than I expected to solve it
>I FUCKING HATE MY LIFE

I don't think you have any actual problems in your life

>Racing chair
Where you gonna race, champ. :^)

fair enough, but my point still stands. It's a good security feature

care to share?

>wake up

are you fucking retarded? first thing you do when wifi doesn't work is look for a hardware witch, they are on almost every laptop from around 2010

meh that's not all that stupid

>Friend calls with laptop problem
>sorry friend, I know jack shit about computer
problem solved.

The DT990's will make you happy, but all the other crap make me cringe.

I have a netboot onwhich the soft wifi button isnt a bool, but instead cycles between different combinations of options for rfkill. To turn wifi on I had to push the button 4 or 5 times.

>be you
>see someone sharing a self-depreciating realistic fiction
>start shaking, somebody told a story where the narrator was less smart than i am
>fucking retard

You could at least switch to buying useless shit from car boot sales. It still won't make you happy but you'll spend less.