/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
[YouTube] how to build a pc. (embed)
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 2666 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports (if you have to use RAM off the QVL, update BIOS and there's a decent chance it'll work)

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XHkqKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/dYvbWX
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402133,402400,402666,403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/mwG2gL
pcpartpicker.com/list/RJzpZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/rjjvzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/fG3sRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/rxsvzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/KZGd4C
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133260
kabum.com.br/produto/79700/memoria-crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-4gb-2400mhz-ddr4-cl16-grey-bls4g4d240fsb]
kabum.com.br/produto/79701/memoria-crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-8gb-2400mhz-ddr4-cl16-grey-bls8g4d240fsb]
pcpartpicker.com/list/PH62gL
asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-DGS/index.asp
asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-C-R2-0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

COMPUTERS ARE ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

2nd for israel

What 144Hz 1080p frameless monitor should I get two of for a dual screen setup? And are there RGB LED strips that connect to the computer so I don't have to use a remote to control their colors?
This is what I am planning on making.
pcpartpicker.com/list/XHkqKZ

>17 Dec
>still nothing on Ryzen refresh
>RAM and GPU prices can go fuck themselves

>I've been on x58 for 9 years
>mfw

pcpartpicker.com/list/dYvbWX
1080 gaymen

>2666 MHz is ideal
Not really, considering you can get 3000MHz for $10 more
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402133,402400,402666,403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

It's fine if you have a high Hz monitor
Get the i7 8700 instead

posted a build a minute ago in the other thread, got a little bit of advice, revised my list a bit. looking for tips on where i can shave down a bit on price, and keep most of the functionality for gaming on medium+ settings.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mwG2gL

Needs fast RAM
Can drop to 3GB 1060
Can drop to R3 1200

Why would you tell him to get the 8700k for 1080 res gaming. I wouldn't get it for my 1440

If I make the thread again next time, I will make sure to change the OP, I just copied it.

He's already getting the i5 8600K, so why not spend $50 more for a way better CPU? The unlocked i5 is one of the worst value CPUs in the Coffee lineup

Useless to buy a 1060 when there are AMD cards that do better for cheaper, better yet, save up for a 1080.
Don't buy a cheap shitty 1TB hard drive, go straight for something better. I.e. WD Black or a SSHD with a few TB.
Get at least two sticks of 8GB RAM.

Right now you won't play shit even on medium.

alright, so youre talking cut it down like this on the graphics card and cpu, what do you mean fast ram? like more than 8 gb or do you mean switch it out for ddr4-3200 or something

When is the i5 8400 gonna be back in stock? Getting sick of waiting

What the hell are you talking about
The only card that matches the 6GB is the 580 8GB which has been overpriced for months

I'm an idiot and never realised there was a 8700 as in not the 8700k as well. Is it definitely worth spending a little more on it than the 8600k?

I'd get a cheaper mobo, an r3 1200 and better ram, looks fine otherwise.

This is a better idea:
pcpartpicker.com/list/RJzpZ8
And also find a 144hz monitor

the 8700k is like 150 more dollars and is overkill for 1080 gaming you cuck

My bad I forgot to add a cooler
But just choose any really you can't OC the 8400 anyway

>pretending to me
But why

does this fit the bill?
pcpartpicker.com/list/rjjvzM

We can all be me for today

Get a 2x8 kit instead of 2 1x8 kits
pcpartpicker.com/list/fG3sRG

whats the benefit? its a little bit more expensive which isnt a problem, im just curious

With the ram i'd just look for a 2x4g kit at 3000mhz or so, you could get a 2x8gb kit but i only just upgraded to 16gb and never found 8gb of ram lacking. I'd also keep the 6gb gtx 1060 that you had at first.

also the motherboard doesnt list it supports ddr4-3000, will this be a problem?

2666 vs 3000MHz, i.e. 12.5% faster.

Memory above 2666 is technically overclocked and not officially supported but there is a good chance that it will work

thanks for the help guys, have a great day

good mouse for gayming(fps,moba,everything) that dont cost over 60 usd?
im thinking g102

I would get the 502

Finishing building my first computer felt satisfying lads

How are the A320 boards? I need a cheap mobo for someone who will probably never overclock and don't need tons of features.

They're very basic
Just wait for an AB350/M Pro4 to go on sale; they're only like $50

>only like $50
More like 75-80 eurobucks on sale here.

I said i7 8700, not K. Resolution doesn't have an effect on CPU usage directly. In fact lower res means more CPU usage because you're removing load on the graphics card

Get the cheapest 3000MHz 2x 8GB kit you can find and update your mobo BIOS when you get it
You can use the pcpartpicker I linked here Personally I'd get a slightly better PSU as well, with two 6+2 pin connectors. Check the build in the OP called 1080p Entry Level

Ideal is 2x 8GB so that it can run both fast and dual channel

Nice, post speccy

Get AB/B350

I know nothing about computers but this seems like a comfy general

Yo guys if im getting a 1060 then should I get a minotor with 1440p or 1080p?

I lurked for weeks and learned a lot + kind of just sit here reading watching people help others and sometimes helping myself because it genuinely is comfy

So you're saying if I get a 8600k/1070 I should get a 1080 144 instead of a 60 right?

Honestly, I have learned more about pc's and tec in pcbg than I have in 4 every tech class i ever too in HS

Anything I should change? Will be getting a 1080ti later on or wait for volta. Already have a case.
pcpartpicker.com/list/rxsvzM

Or should I rather not buy now and just wait for volta? Been struggling with pic related for years which recently started freezing up without bsods for no apparent reason.

What do you exactly plan to use this for?

A nice 1080p

Most definitely, but the i7 8700 is way better for a little more. Unlocked Intel is kinda like SLI/CF: only do it if you're already buying the top chips, or you have a very particular use in mind

You need a way better monitor before buying an 8700K + 1080Ti

Mainly gayming.
Yeah will buy 2k/144 or 4k/60 or something similar as well.

Seeing it's my first time building and I'm not very comfortable overclocking I believe 8700 is definitely what I should be going for indeed, thank you. One last thing, is a noctua NH-D14 decent for the 8700 or do you have a cooler you would recommend for it?

If you're playing games, buying an i7, 3600MHz memory, or NVMe drives is completely overkill and basically useless, especially at 2160p.
AIO coolers are not worth it, especially for the $60 over an NH-D15 which will perform basically the same.

Holy shit dude change everything, y do you still have a core 2 duo? If you get a 1080ti then you'll be bottleneck like a madman

What is a situation in which I should have 32 GB of ram? (I am running an 8700K and 1080TI)

Ok thank you, 1080p it is

>I said i7 8700, not K. Resolution doesn't have an effect on CPU usage directly. In fact lower res means more CPU usage because you're removing load on the graphics card
Not that guy but I have already bought everything, a 8700 and a 1070 ti and a 1080 60hz curved monitor. Am I fucked?

Are you running a RAM-intensive task?

I do a bit of work with the adobe suite, but I am far from a power user, and am generally only running up to two of the programs at a time (like image editing/creating while processing video in the bacckground.)

I suppose it's then down to budget. Do you have the money to spare, or could it go toward something else?

Perhaps now it is an overkill, but after a few years? I'm not that concerned over saving a few hundred, money isn't an issue.
I'm a bit worried that a big heatsink won't fit next to the gpu which was the case with a friend of mine (I think he had that NHD15 and a 1080), though he might have had a smaller mobo.

Read the post again.

Yes. The 1070 Ti is a 1440p card and will always hit way over 60 fps at 1080p.

Well, if I don't get a second set of ram, I could get my second monitor a month earlier, meaning I could get it at the same time as everything else. And I suppose that if I ramp up with my usage of adobe I could always invest in more RAM then. Thanks.

>Look at prices for the 8700
>Find a deal where I basically pay 20 euro more than I would initially have for my planned 8600k
Holy shit thank you based user

Should I buy my graphics card now to avoid rising prices, or is the mining resurgence going to die down in the next couple months do you think?

It's not smart to buy overkill parts and hope that they will age well, because 9th gen is just around the corner and RAM speed is the perfect example of diminishing returns. NVMe and game load times hardly correlate.

Prices have plateaued, but I don't see them falling, either.

What is an affordable IPS 144Hz 1440p monitor that doesn't have a super bulky edge?

No. You can now turn up more settings than you could before with good framerates.

Your GPU will decay faster and your monitor will die sooner

WHY ARE THE 8400 AND 8700 SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No problem.

Hard to say.

Obviously if you have the money it doesn't matter, but I'd say buy what you need now
Doesn't help that the i5 8400 is out of stock

Eh, sell/return the 1080p monitor and get at least 1080p 144Hz if not 1440p high Hz

They're the worthwhile chips. Intel wants to sell you the overpriced K SKUs. Plus they think they ride on the 'muh OC'd i5 2500K' mindset / memes that aren't applicable with current chips

Okay, I think I have finally decided on a final build. Can I get everyone's thoughts?
pcpartpicker.com/list/KZGd4C

>They're the worthwhile chips. Intel wants to sell you the overpriced K SKUs. Plus they think they ride on the 'muh OC'd i5 2500K' mindset / memes that aren't applicable with current chips
Indeed. Well if you have the money the 8700k is still pretty beast and will settle you well, but 8350k and 8600k are the dumbest buys. Even a 1500X on sale is much more justified than those.

this nigga better got the fire department on speed dial lmao

>8700k
>$30 cooler
>NEX 650 instead of G2/G3 750
>Sound card
>1080p monitors
Do none of this

>8700
I have spent a lot of time looking over benchmarks of the currently available processors, and the 8700k is what is best for my workload, as my main source of side income is editing for several content creators and local business commercials
>cooler
I have no idea what I am doing with the cooler, would a be quiet dark rock tf be better? I don't want to go AIO.
>Power Supply
g3 750 now
>sound card
I really need finer control, I didn't buy sennheisers for nothing.
>1080p monitors
The only 1440s I can find with the same stats cost 2x as much, and I need 2 monitors. Perhaps I should start with 1 1440 monitor and get a 1080p for the second later on?

Can someone help me out with my first build? Looking to spend around $500 USD and like a case around this size: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133260

Right now I'm leaning towards Ryzen just because I'll be able to easily upgrade the processor in the future, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'll be running linux on this box and using it mostly for software dev and anime, with some light gaming (mostly jp VNs through wine).

The 8700k is good nignog but you need a better cooler is what he means especially if you OC
If you don't OC get the 8700

I do plan on overclocking this, though I have never done it before. What cooler should I get? I want to stick to air if I can.

It would be nice if I could know what type of work you do specifically.
The 8700k will not work well with a weak cooler, and unless you get something better (you might have to change cases because of clearance issues) you should not waste the money.
Sound cards are pointless compared to external DACs in my opinion.

noctua nh-d15

I'm about to get a i5 7400 setup (yes I know), is dual channel worth? I'm between getting 2x[kabum.com.br/produto/79700/memoria-crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-4gb-2400mhz-ddr4-cl16-grey-bls4g4d240fsb] or 1x[kabum.com.br/produto/79701/memoria-crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-8gb-2400mhz-ddr4-cl16-grey-bls8g4d240fsb]

NH-D15/S is ideal, but you will have to select another case.

I work with blender, maya, photoshop, after effects, and premiere for creating advertisements and editing together videos for a few content creators. and clearly i play games. Will PC part picker autodetect clearance issues or should I double check the math?

>(yes I know)
Still, why the 7400?
It is worth it but if you think you'll buy another 8GB down the road then go single stick for a while I suppose. Either way it's not a big deal.

Wait. Don't the boxes i3/i5/i7s come with a cooler anymore?

Would the NH-C14S do a good enough job and let me keep my current case?

Because prices are fucked here.
i5 7400+mobo = R$1050
i3 8100+mobo = R$1290
i5 8400+mobo = R$1540

Rhodesia?
Looks like 50€ difference between 7400 and 8100, not quite worth it indeed.
No way to get a 7500? It's like a 8100 but can also boost a bit higher.
What about Ryzen?

>Rhodesia
No, Brazil.

Yeah I realized after I posted.

Does your customs catch shit getting mailed in?

Building a gaming pc planning on using a normal 60hz 1080p monitor. Budget around $1100 to $1200 dollars.

After reading OP's notes this is what I got. Any thoughts or recommendations? I would like to play games like Monster Hunter World, Dragon ball Fighterz...basically games as they come out on the highest setting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PH62gL

Is U14S a good alternative for D15?

UMA
Not for your 8700k nigga it's going to cause a house fire

The i5 7500 is out of stock everywhere but one website, where it is about R$920

I dunno

DELICINHA

Do you have a particular reason for wanting that specific case? Because it looks rather expensive. Also 1TB HDDs aren't cost efficient anymore, you can probably get more for your money looking at 2TB ones. Or if you only game and don't hoard files much, getting a bigger SSD to fit more games (500GB). You can always get a HDD or two later down the road anyway, so focus on your current parts by maxing out what you can, like 3200mhz RAM and other shits.

What GPU are you pairing the 7400 with?

Applied a little too much thermal paste lol

to be sure, you know it is ejaculate, yes?

Retard here, what's the difference? The Asrock one is 40% cheaper
asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-DGS/index.asp
asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-C-R2-0/

You can't overclock with these mobos. I hope you know this.