Sup Forums Fuck ups

What are your biggest tech fuck ups, Sup Forums?

Bent the pins on my motherboard of my front-usb 3.0 port because of retarded cable management in the case, causing a short circuit.
Had to return motherboard and wait 6 weeks until it was fixed. I was forced to use an ancient shitty Acer laptop in the meantime

Tried to manually update the firmware on my BenQ XL 2411Z. Forgot to unzip the firmware files before flashing the screens motherboard. Repairs cost me 150 buck.

>holding it from this iron rod
madwoman.avi

>wonder why computer is so slow
>try to fix it with driver updates and fail
>give up, start saving money for new pc
>9 months pass
>look at cpu temperature monitor for some reason
>99°C
>look inside
>cooler has partly fallen off the 2500k

Bought an AMD product. Now I am in jail, and rightly so, for anti-semitism,

tried to plug in my headset without looking and pushed it into an usb instead of aux which sent sparks flying out of my PSU and blew the house fuse.

Decided to reapply thermal paste to my AMD 1100T while borderline blackout drunk. Bent a few pins, couldn't bend them back straight, one ended up snapping, so I just threw it in the garbage and went to bed. I haven't played a PC game since that night 2 years ago, but that will change since I recently decided to restore that PC with a used CPU, new cooler, and new case fans because it's still good enough for most games pre-2016.

Popped the SATA connector off of the motherboard when trying to remove the cable without light.

kek

>'''''bent a few pins''''''
>''''''couldn't bend them back''''''
>''''''ended up snapping''''''
actually fucking dying

put thermal paste up my bum instead of the cpu when i was high then decided to put the cpu up there to 'keep it cool' woke up outside in my garden without a cpu

sounds like more of an experience than a mistake

If only one pin breaks off, try to fire it up anyway. A lot of pins are extra grounds, and a lot of them can be considered redundant (assuming you aren't overclocking or anything). Just plain chance is on your side.

accidentally brushed against a few mobo pins when opening the socket for my x399 build. shat bricks. placed cpu inside and booted it up, no problems

introduced a bug into production environment bc of sloppy testing/unit tests.

I didn't learn that until months later.

details?

>Summer 2014
>Put bios jumper on one pin after reset.
>Boot one time, fans spin up then shutdown.
>Power off machine.
>Put jumper in the right position
>Turn system on again
>Fans spin.... Shuts down... Fans Spin again.. Shuts down again..
>On the 4th time smoke rises up and it reeks like cancer.

Mfw I had to spend my birthday money on a new mobo and cpu.

>On the 4th time

Managed to kill my CPU because I needed to reapply thermal paste and when I tried to put the cooler back on it slipped, the CPU flew across my desk because of the pressure I applied. I was surprised only a few pins were gone but it wouldn't work regardless.

Later I found that the cooler I had been using was a piece of shit because there was another one that came with my new CPU and that was way easier to install.

bought a 4u server and didn't realize how loud the fans would be :(

poor user ;(

Oh no ! :(

>spill tea into (rubber dome) keyboard
>lose activation of certain keys
>take keyboard apart to clean
>notice the two circuit sheets are hot glued together at sporadic points
>pull them apart for better cleaning
>rip up a single circuit trace in the process

RIP heavy duty rubber dome japanese keyboard from 1994.

Like on pic, but by mistake, when I took it, after 3 seconds I realized, that is hot, and soldering iron landed on my dick, due to pain I left my chair and soldering iron landed on my foot, and after that I suddenly took it wrong with other hand.
Doctor in hospital asked me, how it happened, and after that he felt from chair, cutting his hand with sharp edge of table...

Moral: do not solder without clothing.

Fried my X99 build by knocking a bottle of water into it while drunk. Killed CPU, MB, both video cards, 8GB of ram, and my m.2 SSD. Was able to get a refund on the SSD since I just bought it but cost about $900 to replace everything else.

>doing a university project that requires a Geiger counter
>first big hands-on project
>professor orders a DIY kit instead of assembled one
>assumes i know how to solder
>never soldered before
"professor i don't know how to-
"nonsense mr. user i'm sure you know how to"
"o-okay"
>something like 400 connections
>half of them fucked up
"yeah it's fucked mate"
>professor assumes there's something wrong with the unit and not the inexperienced guy
$700 in the toilet
ended up just borrowing a rad detector from university of houston anyways
by the end of the project the solders got better though so now i know how to)))))

kek

It's a big unit

Why was your face like when?

drop table staging.foo*
(*actually prod.foo)

>I pushed out bad patch that caused my previous jobs financial software to crash and the most critical time of the year
>I was saving a switch config to flash while talking to another customer on the phone, there wasn’t enough memory and it overwrote the IOS. The next time the switch lost power the network at that company went down

How?
It's screwed tight with a back plate and all.
[spoiler]There is no one retarded enough to use push pin coolers[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I don't care, Sup Forums spoilers are needed[/spoiler]

Did you learn from your idiocy?
Don't have PC on table near you, don't drink if you can't hold it.

top kek

I bought a Lenovo Y-700 with a full AMD build (FX-8800P processor and two GPUs, a Radeon R7 and an R9 M385X). Layman's terms, it's a gaming laptop, and a really thin/compact one at that, so it overheats like a bitch and the fans don't help at all
Wasted 800 dollars buying it.

I broke the entire domain's backup server at work for about half an hour, so that was nice

Also once I did rm prefix- * instead of rm prefix-*

I did fucked up so hard with an vertex buffer size on direct3D9, i somehow managed to erase a chunk of the code that way.

Snapped a $1200 laptop in half.

I tried to hotplug a CDR drive once. Produced a small ray of lightning in the case, luckily didn't get shocked by it. Fried the mainboard.

I almost drove a company out of business by accidentally crashing their 20TB Windows Storage Spaces RAID0. Someone had to fly a server out to the datacenter to restore from backups since the WAN would have been too slow. No, I was not responsible for that design decision.

for you

Broke the Ram locker, due to installing in a small case with little to no light, then did dual channel with two different models of ram it worked for a week, then MoBo wouldn't start, so i taked it to the store, technician wasn't working for that month, so after 2 days, they gave me a new one.

when i was 12, i stuck a butterknife inside a gameshark while it was in the gaming console and it ruined my gaming console. the gameshark wouldn't work so like a dummy i thought putting a butterknife in it, it would starting working again

how

Fell on it

>20TB RAID0
Did that company hire that same user from here a few weeks ago

i thought by putting a *

I thought "Connections" in mysql workbench were different databases so I created 3 different connections to the same ip and thought they were different databases and accidentally deleted all the tables to my project

Not really tech-related but once:
>be me
>young and stupid.png
>want to make toast with butter
>'why wait for the toast to put putter on?'
>put butter on bread first.
>put bread with butter on it in toaster
>turn toaster on
>????
>my house goes dark and everything turns off
>fuck.jpg
>turn electricity back on at mains
>'how do i get the toast out of the toaster?'
>(it was stuck)
>decide to use a fork to pull toast out
>stick fork into toast(er)
>everything goes off again
>'why have i done this'
>contemplate suicide

why did you fall on your laptop user

I was getting out of bed and my foot got caught on my blanket and my laptop was on my lap and I fell on it.

Why was your foot near your blanket when you were getting out of bed? Also, why was your laptop on your lap when you fell asleep user?

Lel. At least you've learned two lessons at once I guess.

I suppose so; had trouble getting electricity back the second time though, it did come back after a while though (can't remember how).

I wasn't sleeping, I was on my laptop while I was in bed. My blanket was by my foot because I was in bed and I have blankets on my bed.

This was a while ago.

This happened to my friend's prebuilt.
119°C

Why didn’t you move your blanket to a less hazardous area of the bed user. And also, why do you have blankets on your bed

I don't know dude, I was 13

user you should have known better :(

>contemplate suicide
I bet you wished the fork worked.
Topkek

Selling my bitcoin at 800

>monitor is dirty
>dust, hair, muck etc.
>wipe it
>"Hmmm, let's hoover it. That'll be quicker"
>Vacuum has a metal pipe
>Don't realise
>Turn monitor on
>Covered in those scratches, monitors has gone from 1920x1080 to 137x10

Mfw

lol that looks like rupert murdoch

Here's the full image kek.

I had like 500GB of cool shit on an external hard drive, including a nearly completed fantasy novel I'd been writing since the late 90s, then tried to download every episode of Iron Chef Japan, got malware and almost corrupted the drive almost beyond salvation. Got everything back eventually but it was white knuckle time for a while there.

I updated to windows 10.
Then I deleted the backup files from windows 7 because I was short on disk space.

wew

I bought an android

tried hacking the boot rom on my new apple watch :^(

at first i was disgusted, then my sides fell apart
thanks… see you when your ban's up

You deserve that shit.
>Didn't realise it was a metal pipe
Stupid fucker.

Kill yourself. Windows 10 motherfucker

If it's that Casio now you did a good job

Just finished fixing a UEFI windows 10 problem and felt like king shit.

Get windows 7 64bit boot disk ready, put unformatted HDD in. Switch bios to uefi and restart. The PC was running under there, but no display to see what's going on. Literally poking blind at bios,vtruing to switch back to CSM. Three days of trying and I magically hit all the right bios keys.

Now know how it feels to run a PC blind, but still scared to try again.

> tfw windows says you you can't revert because windows.old is corrupted
> somehow became (((corrupt))) in the one hour you used 10 before trying to run back to 7

The fork didn’t even spark ;(

Oops, meant to say I was trying to play UEFI master with my own laptop. Not a clients.

I pooped my pants while programming haskell XD

I’ve been in IT for almost 10 years, those aren’t even the biggest fuckups I’ve seen

>had a coworker who accidentally erased 6 moths for backups for a financial institution
>another coworker once destroyed a companies mail server because he was expanding a LUN to 500GB and accidentally typed 50 and crushed all their mailboxes
>another coworker once tried to automate deleting a certain type of files, but somehow botched it and ended up deleting 1TB on a 5TB file server.

In case you were wondering, these were all at different jobs

Somehow this seems to me to not be your first nor last experience with booty bandits.

>looking at a co-worker's optiplex beause making a funny noise
>it was at an awkward angle under desk and i didn't want to unplug everything.
>Carefully try to open the clam shell and remove the green plastic shroud while still being under the desk.
>My guess was that the fan was going out.
>Reach for the power button and at the same time loose my balance.
>reach and place my head in the only spot i could in the case
>finger goes into the Delta Fan
I never swore so much in my entire life, hurt worse than getting a finger jammed in a car door. Those Delta fans don't fuck around

>fan on my X220 died
>ordered replacement fan assembly
>go through the lengthy process of basically disassembling the entire laptop because LelNovo sucks to get the motherboard out
>eyes glazed over the part where it tells you to unscrew the little hex things that screw the VGA port to the chassis
>start pulling at the mobo
>"what the fuck, it won't come out"
>go full retard and contort the board, hear a crack
>VGA port breaks off the mobo, mobo comes out and the VGA port is still on the chassis
>one of the USB ports is all bent, but I bend it back

I put it all together again and it turns it all still works. I still have to get some black electrical tape to cover the gapping hole where the VGA port was.

Indeed, quite the upgrade.

That would scare the pants off a ninja. I love when a computer powers through shut like that though.

Bullshit. No one can hold a burning hot iron for 3 seconds. Your body has defense mechanisms to drop that shit FAST. In cases like this, the signals dont even get processed in the brain.

There should be four (4) bolts / screws holding the cooler on. Did you just expect the thermal paste to hold it on or something?

I've got scars from handling OptiPlexes. Those things are dangerous and I'll never handle one again.

I ran a development migration against a production database and destroyed a table full of customer information. Luckily, it was backed up and it was for a new product that nobody was really paying attention to yet.

I use a dinky little stock cooler. It's pretty piddly and the pre-applied thermal paste probably could have been a little more spread out. After using it for 8 years it finally started randomly heavy throttling due to overheating. Even to the point of shutting down the computer spontaneously.

So I just took off one of the case panels. Oh, yeah, did I mention the case fans all blew out? Eh. It's probably fine.

Accidentally fryed a motherboard

last year my friend took my phone and opened the camera roll and there was an upskirt screenshot of nier automata that I forgot to delete
I think that's technology right

>Want to plug in old IDE drive because why the fuck not
>Was too lazy to turn off PC
>Try plugging in the molex cable
>Massive spark
>PC shuts off
>Give it a few minutes and press the power button
>Turns back on somehow
And then the PSU died a month later due to unrelated reasons

>accidentally format whole hdd
>try to rescue data
>ETA 3 days
>drop the HDD while spinning on day 2

btw, the hdd and the data was not mine

Tried to desolder an IC off a Commodore 64 board and fucked up a bunch of traces and broke a leg off the IC. Now it black screens.

Followed shitty instructions on rebuilding a raid 1 and wound up letting intels raid controller overwrite the filesystem on my first partition loosing about 1tb of data which was almost entirely virtual machines which were broken into parts like vmdk001 and now even if I photorec it I will never get all of the pieces in the right order let alone matched to the right vm.

My seconds biggest mistake was thinking raid 1 was a backup.

send help. I still havnt touched the drives. testdisk can detect the partition, but no files show up.