KeePass or KeePassX and why?

KeePass or KeePassX and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mstarke/MacPass
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

keepassx, I use it

Keepass in Windows, kpx on Linux.

keepassxc in linux

But why? What's the difference? What about Mac os?

KeepassX on everything, macos included.

Why senpai? Spoonfeed me

LastPass

KeePass on Windows, KeePassXC on Linux/macOS
Only correct answer

KeePassX.
Why? It's free and in freedom, is orffered by almost all distribution repositories, and works well.

KeePassXC is the community fork of KPX, IIRC. Dunno about KeePass, I've never used it

But why, what's the difference and is KeePassX the same as KeePassXc?

Xc is seeing new development, x is not. It also had more dependencies though.

So X is no longer being developed? What about original KeePass? Does it really make a big difference which one you use if they use the same encryption? Can you switch using in-between them? I don't want to get password manager that stores files on server so I would prefer something like KeePass, help needed

Get Enpass

Open source encryption

CLI apps

Updated apps for all platforms

>designing password vault program
>need a name
>keep ass
>that works, push to release

The original KeePass is still being developed.

It does not matter which one you use. There's multiple KeePass file formats (v1, v2.. etc), and if you use an old non-maintained application, you may not have support for the latest ones.

I recommend:
Windows: KeePass
Mac: MacPass or KeePassXC
Linux. KeePassXC or KeePass in WINE
iOS: KyPass (Paid and closed source, unfortunate), MiniKeePass (Not maintained anymore, no v4 support)
Android: Keepass2Android

Bonus: KeeWeb is a web-based version that works everywhere, including mobile, and is well maintained. Problem is, for maximum security you'll want to self-host the webpage somewhere. Don't recommend the "desktop" versions of it as they're obviously Electron and slow as shit

>Closed source
>Made by pajeets
>No sustainable revenue

Don't do it. This is as terrible of an idea as Mailbird was.

Hmm interesting, is macpass any good? Is it updated as frequently as KeePass? And how bad does the KeePass on Mac os run?

See github.com/mstarke/MacPass
It's updated frequently. I've never used regular KeePass on Mac so no idea on performance, because why use WINE when there's native alternatives.

Keepassxc, it's keepassx with keepasshttp built in so you get the native GNU/Linux support (no mono needed) and browser integration.

KeePass (open source, but windows only)
KeePassX (KeePass for all platforms)
KeePassXC (community fork, since KPX was super slow and the dev is a prick)

I'm kind of afraid of using passwords managers. I just use the same password for everything, but my Gmail, which has a 64 char password and 2FA.
Should I give password managers since most of the things I register for nowadays are rubbish I'll only use once?

You're better off first saying what you're so afraid of in password maangers.

Rubbish sites are problematic because even if you only use them once, they have your password. If it's the same as any other service, that one's account is compromised too.

>Paid and closed source
The state of iOS

As in forgetting the pass for my keyring and losing access to all my accounts at once.
I basically have one generic password that I use for anything I don't care much about, so even if it leaks it isn't much of a damage, while for important stuff (Google, Paypal) I have large, unique passwords with 2FA.

Literally doesn't matter, no one is going to steal your passwords unless they have physical access to your machine, and if they do then it's already game over no matter what you do. Use whatever is more convenient as a place for storing passwords.

Bruce Schneier said he writes his pwds down and keeps it in his wallet.

Literally memorizing one big password. You don't need to remember any other for other services, as they're all in the database.

X cause its more EXTREME

>KeePass (open source, but windows only)
But it says you can run it on Linux and Mac os