Promise myself I'll avoid politics

>promise myself I'll avoid politics
>start reading my C Programming textbook for next year's semester (Practical C Programming)
>this happens

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
youtube.com/watch?v=sojhjp5y8ZM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

quit suporting racists Sup Forums

Thanks for the blog! Where can I donate to support such tech relevant information?
Fuck you shitposter

If only there was a gender neutral pronoun to denote a person with unspecified or irrelevant gender.

It's he isn't it

keep on staying above it all, little blowhard

Yup.

I've seen that sort of preamble in my handbooks from 30 years ago. It has nothing to do with politics, it's just being polite.
As usual Sup Forumsedditors blowing shit out of proportions.

If you're going to be grammatically correct, the only way to refer to a person with unspecified gender is to say "he or she".

He handled it well, though.
If he was a cuck, he'd replace "he" with "he/she", even though the notion of a woman being a programmer is about as ridiculous as the notion of man breastfeeding.

nope, 'he' denotes a male person

male (female)

Actually, "he" denotes a man or a boy, regardless of sex.
A transman would still be called "he", even if """biologically""" female.

Learn haskell, inside gender begin Boolean, gender begin monoid of endomorphics spectrum parametric on shelves.

Trans """men"""

That's not political.
The author sounds a bit full of vimself if vi actually puts “should be shot” into the text of a factual reference book but it's nothing over which you should get your panties in a twist.

>If you're going to be grammatically correct
That's just it, there's nothing wrong with being "grammatically incorrect" with this. So what if your high school English teacher told you that "they" can't be singular? We now have a definition to fit this usage of "they" which had no specific context as recently as 30 years ago, a context of being actually gender-neutral in a time when the construct of "gender" encompasses more than just "he" or "she."

Refusing to adopt this is a clear sign that the person in question doesn't understand anything about actual linguistics, they're just being sticklers about something that gets their knickers in a twist for no reason other than elitism.

>Secondly, when I suggest that some bad programmers should be shot, I do not speak literally.
That's a shame.

If you're going to be lazy, typing "he" is easier than typing "they". Don't be dishonest about your dishonesty.

The only thing that is sad about that is that its necessary.

I like the "should be taken out the back and shot in the face" phrase and I have never ever had to explain that I don't genuinely mean it in the practical sense, but I could believe in some circles they would be horrified by this utterance.

>not using K&R as a textbook for C

Why would he even dignify those complaints by directly addressing them?
cuck

well some things are just inexcusable enough to justify it

In many languages, including English, the masculine form is used when addressing masculine and feminine together. I wonder if SJWs lose their shit when they realize that Spanish and Italian do this with every noun in their language that has masculine and feminine forms.

>read some documentation on some piece of Linux softare
>author refers to hypothetical programmer as "she"

Fucking kill me

>I do not speak literally
pussy bitch faggot

This doesn't bother me. I always wanted to be a cute girl anyway.

>I wonder if SJWs lose their shit when they realize that Spanish and Italian do this with every noun in their language that has masculine and feminine forms.
They do and since romance languages don't have a neutral form, they tried to introduce some bullshit using "x." As in instead of using "Latino," you're supposed to use "Latinx."

In French we say "étudiants" for students and étudiantes for the females and now faggots are pushing for étudiant.e.s or étudiant-e-s everywhere.

In spic estudiantes is universal, but the same shit happens with the plural for children.
Niños is universal but politically correct mongs are pushing niñas/niños like she/he, it's like pushing enfantes/enfants.

>2034
>"humans" or "people" no longer acceptable due to transpeciests
>appropriate academic protocol is to refer to all as just "matterxb"
>the x is to be inclusive to non-binary matter
>the b is to be inclusive to blacks

lost

I thought everybody on Sup Forums was a cute girl?

I used to play along with that until boards started getting overrun with actual homos.

well it's like that descartes phrase about people pretending to be idiots will soon be joined by real idiots, we were joined by real homos

No, they say latin@ which is the ultimate rape of the language.

>view this book on amazon
>description says introductory programming for C
>every single review is praising bjarne s. for creating the bible of C++
>all the reviews are clearly for C++ programming language
>literally frothing at the mouth on strousups dick in some of them

is there some mega meme going on here or is amazon just super fucked up

In German it's Student and Studentin, but instead of "Student/in", or as I've recently taken to calling it "Student+in", which is used in many similar cases, the continuous form Studierende (studying ones) became popular, as if to make it sound even more retarded.

>Studierende
when are you niggas gonna start chopping up words?

15 years from now when we'll have lost all sense for language, too.

Wait, do people actually get asshurt over this?

The word you're looking for is literally "it"

After obviously having some unpleasant confrontations, this is clearly a polite and diplomatic way of telling perpetually offended SJWs to fuck off.

It begin use to monsters or inanimate things, trans persons went nuts time people called "it".

Wow technology is racist.

Fucking bigots.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Just because the concept exists doesn't mean it is or should be considered correct. The article even mentions criticism.

>let's revive some outdated shit from Old English just to appease some mentally ill trannies.

Bravo

No it's xhe.
Seriously

>14th century
The modern way is more logical. Almost 100% of the time you talk about a person, he is a male, so objectively, male pronouns ought to be the default.

>having to declare for loop variables outside of the loop

Romance languages do have a neuter form, but usually it's reserved for inanimate objects. This isn't always the case since a lot of abstract ideas have a feminine gender and there are nouns like "virtutus", which implicitly has a masculine gender since it does mean "manliness, courage, bravery". Although on an interesting note, all the Latin masculine nouns with feminine 1st declension endings are occuopation related, like nauta (sailor), poeta (take a wild guess), etc. But yeah, when talking about people or a group of people where the gender is ambiguous or (in the case of a crowd or a tribe) varies between male and female instead of being one group of males or one group of females, the masculine form is almost always used.
t. Studied Latin for a bit.

there's only 1 in 100 good female coder

singular they is in current usage still (fuck, it's not even something that suddenly regained popularity, either) and doesn't sound ungrammatical because it's something that's actually regularly used anyway
it's considered informal, but for entirely bullshit reasons

I still use neuter "he" half the time anyway because it's easy and also in common usage, but singular "they" is sensible and also has long-standing precedent.

>author refers to hypothetical programmer as "she"
this isn't uncommon and has historic usage, particularly in more business-oriented circles where the stereotypical "Suzie COBOL" would have shown up
who fucking cares

kek

Why would you ever need to use he or she in a programming book in the first place? It has to be a garbage in the first place

>C Programming text book
>Racist
Facts have always been racist user

if you only knew how old are most words

really you're fucking retarded

i mean im not really annoyed by him using he but this was my first thought as well. just seems like a silly choice stylistically.

>If the Illuminati exists, i demand they end this simulation now!

You don't use they? It's completely normal where I live.

>It begin use to monsters or inanimate things
So a programmer.

>linguistic prescriptivism
kys

>Type 'he' throughout book
>Ctrl f ' he '
>' he or she '
>Replace all
But it's much more lazy to type a three paragraph response.

>Romance languages do have a neuter form, but usually it's reserved for inanimate objects.
>yfw to solve the pronoun problem result to objectifying people

that's valid for all current Romance languages in some way or another

explanation was actually after the fall of the Empire, peasants without schools fused the neuter and the masculine nouns into one, while most of the language was anyway spoken "by ear", as in how it sounds better to each other.

in all latin languages some professions sound 'masculine' and others 'feminine' and it's really funny when you compare it to the feminist agenda

there's an ongoing declination of nouns into feminine forms for jobs which doesn't occur for male jobs which sound feminine but reverse always

>and doesn't sound ungrammatical because it's something that's actually regularly used anyway
Just like ebonics, but you wont see me writing an essay with it.

you may not but pidgin english might gain ground in the academia

>this shit
>people complaining about scientific journal papers for similar bs and trying to get them taken down
>trying to break peer review with politics

It's infecting the important parts of the sciences and technologies now. It's time for people who actually produce value to take a stand against the useless 'holier than thou' complainers. They need to be called out and have have the damage / danger of their positions publicly showcased; essentially a verified comments section (contact to verify authorship) post scripture detailing their name and comment. These people should have no issue with such an idea anyway if they are 'on the right side of history' as they so often claim; their names and comments will be a testament to their righteousness later on.

I want the people pressuring and destroying modern scientific / technical processes and documents to be accountable and identifiable.

>purposely mess up current edition
>"correct" mistakes in next edition
it's free money

He - male
She - female
It - Tranny

I don't see why people over complicate this

It's not his message that pisses me off, it's that he's so goddamn afraid of offending people that he's already apologizing in advance for what he wrote.
Who is he trying to appease?
On that note, why do celebrities always apologize when they do something politically incorrect?
Does their PR team make them do it?
What's the harm in ignoring criticism? Nobody's gonna remember it in a month and neither will they.
You know damn well they're not sorry and they don't give a fuck.

Who is "he"?

I'm reading this book for myself, and you're talking about some other guy?

Another excerpt from the book:
>One of the newest languages, Java, is based on C++. Java was designed to be "C++ with the bugs fixed." At the time of this writing, Java has limited use despite being heavily marketed by Sun Microsystems and others.
C++ btfo?

Why didn't they just use the singular they like a normal person?

t. Samuel Goldstein

Thats not even a composite word no way to chop it up.

seems pretty smart on the author's part to me. don't change the actual book, but write a passive-aggressive passage at the beginning to shut the snowflakes up without actually validating them in any way.

No thats only if their skin color is not white.

Hahaha holy shit you weren't kidding lmao.

What book is this? This lad seems like a funny man

I use singular they. It's okay. Slightly gay. But okay. If I may, I would say, in no way I did stray from my way to convey point to stay using "they".

Singular they is much more elegant than "he or she", and it's something that has actually existed for ages, not some new unpronounceable SJW invention like latinx or hxstory.

Why you do dis?

youtube.com/watch?v=sojhjp5y8ZM

>Type 'he' throughout book
>Ctrl f ' he '
>' he or she '
>Replace all
>"he or she ate his apple."

>3rd edition
>apologizes for using "he"

>4th edition
>apologizes for the antiquated use of UNIX "man" pages

>5th edition
>apologizes for being white and male

Just think about it "singular they". It even sounds amazing.
Not the pathetic "he or she, I don't want to hurt your feelings m'kay";
Not the autistic "xe xi xyi xyka xussian xaxers" insectoid screeches;
Not the elevating "person" because not every reader deserves to be acknowledged as such;
Not the chosen "one" as I'm sure as fuck no "one" here is a fucking Neo;
The majestic "singular" FUCKING "they" to state the point without any social implication or assumption as the writer is clearly out of fucks to give and out of time to care.

(s)he

Wow. So simple yet so genius. A huge leap forward in linguistics and tolerance.

One small step for they, one giant leap for theykind.

Having something like this in a college textbook is a huge fucking no-no if you go to one of those colleges/universities where the instructors are required to ask you for your preferred pronouns at the start of the term, administration signs their memos with theirs, and there exists a Diversity Department. Seriously, pronoun use and diversity is one of the criteria for textbook selection here.

girl(male)

what the heck

I bet the french language police are having a fun time with that one.

He stood his ground. This can't be said of many MANY others.

>MANY
>A
>N
>Y

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Hinux, is in fact, He/She, or as I've recently taken to calling it, He+She.

>What you're referring to as tranny
fix'd

Start killing all shitskins, retards. This won't stop until all shitskin mudslimes are slaughtered.

>ableist
what is this word?
even google translate doesn't know