/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Other urls found in this thread:

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
tweakers.net/pricewatch/
amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2
amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LM2Y2U4
chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

did i do good?

no

well shit. whats the best way to make my hd579s wireless?

where can I find more lewd penguins?

>hd579s
just don't

>has images of penguin girls
>doesn't use them for the friendly gnu/linux thread
What are you even doing?

too late

Poasting jelly fuel

Poasting shitpost fuel

Poasting the world's strongest bait

Upgrading from my poor-college student headphones, what makes sense if I want:
>active noise canceling
>surround sound for gaming
>really nice, but not overbearing bass
>good range for music
>classy/not stupid looking
>≤$500

why are open headphones allegedly good?

Allows for more natural sound. Nothing gets garbled or muddied up due to being canceled out by a mess of enclosed garbage.

who the fuck would even want shitty dark headphones

Drop the surround sound meme and the request will be much more manageable in terms of sound quality and looks.

Open headphones tend to have a better soundstage, making it less exhausting to listen to for prolonged sessions.

>surround sound meme
It's bullshit?

My laptop only has one port for microphone/headphones. My headphones are HD600, I use a cheap microphone that I velco to the headphones to make a headset, and I'm getting edifier speaker set. I was always planning to get a fulla 2 for the dac/amp combo.

As I see it my solution would be:

A) Just unplug when you want to use speakers

B) Deal with the reduced quality of using a headphone splitter to your speakers + headphones

C) Choose a different DAC that has two headphone outs and just use the Mic jack on your laptop for your headset mic

I was thinking of getting the scarlett solo so I could plug in everything or getting the magni 3 (but it's not a DAC). How does the fulla 2 compare to the scarlett solo?

>soundstage
What does this mean?

What do I get if I want to replace my Sony MDR v6 headphones? I'm looking for something in similar price range, but I'd like open headphones this time (shouldn't isolate too much). I've been looking at ATH-AD700, but the lack of bass puts me off.

Yes, how do you expect to get a sound created by 7 speakers from two drivers?
It's usually just crappy software that exaggerates the position of sound and is slapped on as a marketing technique.

Have an O2 coming in the mail.
Should I also get an OL DAC to replace my Sabre U2?

Hooked up DT 990 600 ohm to Aune T1 MK1 with okish tube. Had the Aune for ages not used it much.

Set to +10db gain it's really good high may be slightly fatiguing will EQ it out later.

This has got me thinking I seem to have made over £8000 on my modest investments in Under A Week (cheers gooks) so what should I splurge on next to have a next level experience? Something Planar Magnetic?

I would prefer experience d advice and am averse to overspending on small gains. I don't have dsd or high (above CD) quality files just Flac cd rips.

I will get to my main hifi later it's already pretty fine.

Scratch that £5k still good on like £22k initial lol

So does this exclusively only occur in headphones that leak sounds? I'm just figuring out about this stuff

>I seem to have made over £8000 on my modest investments in Under A Week (cheers gooks) so what should I splurge on next to have a next level experience?

A retirement account you fucking moron

Stash it now so you're not eating cat food as a senior

The point of open back is to let the sound waves out instead of reflecting them back.

Oh don't worry senpai I'm not withdrawing anything and these are compounding investments, at least medium term. I'm not stupid enough to give a fuck about 6.5 days.

It's not even meme tier BTC Eth LTC either. Most all isn't even crypto.

Should I go for beyerdynamic dt990 600 ohm for $200?

>Should I go for beyerdynamic dt990 600 ohm for $200?
No way I paid like £110

Is this Tux in Japan?

At that price you can buy AKG K701/2 or K612 and Senhheiser HD579, so the short answer is no. If you want Beyerdynamics whispers and shouts, why don't you go for the DT880? DT990 is the worse Beyer in production, I think.

I doubt you'd hear any kind of difference with a new DAC, get the OL DAC only if you want a better aesthetic pairing with your O2

if you plan on spending $200 you'd be better off getting the HD6XX from Massdrop

the fuck do i do senpai
i stepped on my ie80s and they broke, i glued the nozzle in but it came out

Also see pic. There are 15 pieces of 600 Ohm which are left in stock.

Forgot pic.

If you're using powered speakers than just find a headphone amp that also has rca preouts for your speakers and use the port on your laptop for the mic.

What speakers are you specifically getting?

A better(or bigger is a better word) soundstage makes the sound seem like it comes from the outside, in contrast to feeling like it plays inside your head.

Edifier R1280T 2.0 Lifestyle Studio Speakers ($120AUD)
got talked out of getting z623 ($80AUD)

What are the best open headphones that don't require an amp?

wait for another hd6xx drop, or a K7xx drop from massdrop

HD600

Then yeah, the best solution would be to find an amp with rca preouts that would connect to your speakers. Since your first choice was the fulla 2 I'm just going to assume you are trying to stay under $100.

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
This would meet all of your needs, dac/amp combo with rca outs, also has an extra analog input and a line out if interested. Plus its on sale. I don't own one so I can't attest for quality so go watch some reviews or something.

realized they are both up right now...
massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

The HD600 is 300ohm, a amp is kinda required.
The HD660s is better without a amp (but Tyll was disappointed with them)

Philips SHP9500

They are also cheap as fuck

Cool I'll look out for some thing with a rca preout. the monoprice isn't sold in australia and honestly, I'll probably want something that's as good as/better than the fulla 2.

>high impedance
>amp
Inform yourself

Is it true that i shouldn't feed a full digital signal to a DAC?
If so at what % should i set the source volume on the pc?

yo boies, yall know alot of these stuff.

I live in the Netherlands. budget 100/150 (150 kinda hard-limit)

I need some good headphones which I will mainly use on my laptop and my S8. Untill this time I've always got in-ears, this time im looking for the full sized ones (over-ears). Also i'd rather have them closed. I have kinda big head but if it really matters i'd have quality over comfort. I like to have bass but having clear sound is also important to me. Currently listening with house of marley zions (cost 25 eu).

I pretty much always use tweakers.net, heres a link:

tweakers.net/pricewatch/

He's not wrong about the HD6XX needing an amp.

You're literally mentally ill if you're the user who keeps memeing that the HD6X0 are fantastic without an amp.

Hd569 or Beyerdynamic custom studio

Are all those semen demons actual characters from whatever that penguin waifu is from?

I heard the at m50x is also really good? How about them?

Is preout = preamp output?

Does the fulla 2 have a preout that I can plug speakers into?

The m40x is better

Yes, the fulla 2 has a preout , it's also a shit dac

Why are they better? Arent the m50x more recent?

>Yes, the fulla 2 has a preout , it's also a shit dac
only have hd600 and I'm not too fussed. I was going to get e10k so the fulla 2 are a step up (and $200AUD)

>I was going to get e10k so the fulla 2 are a step up
I wouldn't call it a step up, that's called a side-grade.

>in b4 bluetooth

Are these any good Sup Forums? I'm just tired of carrying my over ears everyday. I just want decent audio quality and portability and my hears not to hurt or feel numb after two hours of use, going to use it with my phone

As per Tyll's review, you're better off getting the HD600 and an amp. It's cheaper, and the end result is better.
The HD660S just erase the fine details, no matter the amp.

It'd be a sidegrade if he already had the e10k.
As he doesn't, it's a major upgrade. But I'd suggest magni 3 over the fulla2 any time of the day.

do rca to 3.5mm cables with more metal around the rca have a name?

these ones

amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2

instead of these

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LM2Y2U4

and is the extra metal there to help connection?

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

Reasons why FLAC is superior for streaming music over the Internet:
- Free, respects your freedoms
- Smaller filesize to wav, wma lossless and alac
- Original data
- You can listen to it on an ISDN connection
- Lower algorithmic latency than opus
- Sounds better
- Lightweight compared to youtube videos
- More crisp highs, luscious lows, liquid soundstage
- Greater resolution detail
- Resolves better
- It's not the 90's anymore, you can stream FLAC

>- Lower algorithmic latency than opus
Irrelevant for "music over the internet".
>- Sounds better
Wrong. Better is unfortunately subjective. The right wording would be "more accurate".
>- More crisp highs, luscious lows, liquid soundstage
>- Greater resolution detail
>- Resolves better
Agree!! As long as you've got HD600 or some other good pair of ear speakers.
>- It's not the 90's anymore, you can stream FLAC
Fuck you and your cheap yet awesome fibre connection.

What's a decent setup (amp, dac, I don't really know what I need) for HD650?

>Budget
Sub $300
>Location
Burgerland
>Source
Desktop DAC+AMP exclusively
>Type of headphone
Cans, over ear
>Open or closed
Closed since I'm in a loud area
>Comfort level
i mean whatever as long as i dont want to fucking kill myself after an hour of wearing them
>Sound signature
Bass with neutral mids/highs. Seems this is hard to find since most closed are V or full-neutral

magni 3 + uae23

meant to quote

You're missing my point entirely. I wasn't saying that HD6XX doesn't need an amp, I was saying that correlating high impedance with the need of an amp is wrong.

>magni 3

Begone shill.

>recommends something from a company I don't like
>shill!!!1

I currently have a somewhat knackered pair of Backbeat Pros and I'm starting to look at alternative noise cancelling headphones. I tried the Bose QC35 and the noise cancelling was much better.

With office/ noisy commute in mind, are the QC35's the best headphones for me? Or are other headphones SO much better sounding that it's worth my while trying them out first?[spoiler]
Please do not bully.[/spoiler]

Who cares? He wasn't talking about all headphones, there are ALWAYS going to be outliers that ignore the general conventions.

Generally higher impedance headphones will need to be amped, this isn't always true, but it's generally the case.

what's the difference between the ATH-LS200 and the ATH-LS200is?

what's wrong with the 579s?

what happened to our lewd penguins?

Nothing is. Just somebody's spreading FUD.

It seems like the HD650 is what I'd be looking for if it wasn't open. Just how much external sound is there with open cans?

Mods are fags. What else is new?

Actually, reading some more reviews, it seems more like the Custom One Pro Plus is what I'm looking for. Anyone have these?

Hello, could someone give me a good recommendation for a headset. So my friend want's Razer Electra V2. But the problem is they aren't in our store yet and the shipping is too expensive to ship to my country.

>Budget
60 €
>Location
EU, Croatia
>Source
Anything with a 3.5mm jack
>Type of headphone
Headset, something like the Razer electra v2 but with removable mic
(But you could recommend some that don't have removable mic also)
>Comfort level
Don't care
>Sound signature
I guess something like the razer electra v2

please respond
i bought plastic specific superglue im gonna see if it works

my btr1s came in

howd i do?

cool

Are there any headphones with volume control in the 50 bucks max range? For some reason almost no one includes volume control directly on the device, why is that? It's so great not having to adjust the volume in my OS every time

Because headphone volume controls are universally low quality and prone to channel imbalance issues. Get an amp with a volume pot if you want hardware volume control.

I'm not looking to become a professional sound mixer, I just want to play my vidya jeams and listen to my music without having to touch the OS volume control every time

Are there any active noise canceling headphones that can be wired, which they would be primarily, but also function as bluetooth headphones so I can take them to the gym?

>don't buy this product, it's bad
>nah man I'm not a pro, I don't care if its garbage
suit yourself

>don't buy this product
What product? Name one pair of headphones below 50 bucks that comes with volume control

use the volume control on your player and dont buy headphones for 50 dollars they are likely worse than whatever came with your phone

Guess I'm gonna buy a headset then

What are some inexpensive (around $60) Bluetooth headphones that are the best bang for the buck? I work a 9 hour job and want to have a decent set and not have to deal with wires.

opinions on this? what's the range? can I move freely in a room with them at least? are exploding wireless headphones a thing? kinda paranoid about that

you're better off with using onboard volume control or getting a dac/amp with a physical volume control.

The channel imbalance will ruin music and games. This isn't a professional things it's unacceptable performance on a commercial level

I'm looking for cheap-ass headphones, you really think I am capable of recognizing or caring about what you consider unacceptable sound quality? I'm simply too much of a pleb to hear the difference anyway, and I'm not gonna get an amp for 50 bucks on top just to have volume control

Hey /hpg/ I need some help finding some headphones for my fiance. She wants over ear bluetooth headphones for the gym. Ideally they'd have cups that could be cleaned easily and not absorb sweat. She's not like an audiophile by any means, but she definitely appreciates good sound. She hates beats or any normie tier or fitness thot stuff. I bought her a pair of non noise cancelling Bose headphones a few years ago and she likes those. My budget this year for Christmas is about 100-140 burger bucks. Halp

post pics of her to make it easier to decide