youtube.com/watch?v=pDy0THA9tvY
bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35726196
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dubbing is awful 100% of the time

wouldn't yellow be weird as fuck

>being a babby that needs dubbing
embarrassing

no not realy

>wanting to butcher the original for something that will always be of inferior quality

BRAVO ESTONIA btw

If your country isn't red it's basically an irrelevant non-country (only excuses are Ireland and UK)

UK is not blue btw. When watching their news they always dub foreigners.

(not implying that it matters)

Hearing the original language makes you speak the original language rather OK. Plus half goes missing in translation.

Dubbing is the dumbest shit ever. Literally makes the movie unwatchable.

Bravo Estonia.

We don't dub films or foreign tv series.

It's not inferior if it's spoken in French

I'd rather hear the actor's real voice, thank you

You're kind of right, because it would be incomparably bad.

you don't watch foreign films or tv either.

They do watch american shit, and don't they speak Spanish?

You're full of shit, there are many examples that prove you wrong.

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jan/02/foreign-tv-drama-bbc-channel4-netflix

Subtitles are better 90% of the time. Dubbing is normally done in a retarded American accent.

We had a pretty good Norwegian show in Norwegian about Norway in the war not long ago.

that's not true
just today I saw they have a show in Hebrew with dubs

it's alright. We can still hear original dialogue while not having to constantly look at the bottom of a screen.

This 2bh. Subbing is far less effort and has far less to fuck up.

In the US, on News Shows, they dub the translation when a foreign person is interviewed. That being said, I believe we do Subs most of the time.

I don't know if that's the best of or the worst of both worlds, 2bh.

Why don't you guys just create your own quality television and films so you don't have to watch anglo shit all the time.

I think dubbing foreign media used to be popular, but I rarely see that nowadays. If people watch a foreign movie or tv show, it's always with subtitles. Seems way more natural, in my opinion.

>implying 99% of the audience doesn't speak english well enough to understand a movie.

You don't have to look to understand it.

Russian dub is awful

>Characters of X nationality and culture speak Y language with weird out of sync lip movement
Clearly you don't care much about movies.

Dubbed is only good when you are a kid
When you grow up you realize different actors have the same voices so it becomes weird as fuck to watch

>Dubbing only for children
Well, it's the truth

The good thing about Spain regarding this is that you can switch to original sound in most shows and films.

WAY too much is lost in translation with dubbing. Sure, there's also some which is lost in subbing, that's inevitable, but it's way less than with dubbing. Beyond what is loss in translation, there's also the issue that it's never perfect, there's always a certain weirdness and unnatural aspect to dubbing. This is especially true in my experience with the "little things", i.e. the small smegments of speech which are very important. Just compare the original and dub for this 2-second segment of the movie "Das Boot", the difference is huge (and not at all in the dub's favor):
youtu.be/a5T7LPYVo0Q?t=3h7m35s
youtu.be/4ANbZsnjx9Q?t=4m40s

Also, it has fucking nothing to do with "americanization" or whatever dumb buzzword frogs want to spew. I always watched prefer the original non-dubbed version regardless of the language in which it is (English, French, German, Mandarin, Japanese, etc.). I mean for fuck's sake, who unironically watches anime in fucking English? I can't think of a more plebshit thing one could possibly do in life.

it's Poland, not the Netherlands, 50 year old Januszes want to watch some movies too.

it's getting kinda obsolete though. Cinemas are dubb/subs only and the voice-over is TV only. But I gotta say the people who read all this always have nice soothing voices that don't make you tired at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=pDy0THA9tvY
go to 0:25 if you want to hear one of the best lectors in Poland. His voice became a legend over last few decades.

Kek, there was this guy on Sup Forums that wanted to see one of the Marvel movies so bad, he booked a place to Brazil, went through all the hassle of finding the place and a hotel and communicating with broken spanish, only to arrive at the movie theatre to see his highly anticipated movie, but it was dubbed in Portuguese.

Kek.

BBC generally does voice-overs in interviews, actually.

You never heard it? It's awful and I believe russia belongs to that shit too.

Jesus Christ we're isolated.

dubbing is ridiculous lmao

I wish they did that here. I listen to the tv a lot, esp. when I'm in bed and it would be nice for blind people too.

It's actually better than dubbing because you hear the original voices and your brain puzzles it together

when it's the news/documentaries, it's fine
doing a voice over over actors in movies is retarded

F

this 2bh

10/10 ebin

Those interview are usually live so it's easier to voice-over them. Many are subbed
bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35726196

Yeah we often voice over news as well.
It's ok because you can leave the room and still hear what they say.

Everyone dubs news in their language when they can because of the older people of the population who might not know the foreign language or see well enough to read the subs.

I don't see how you lose more things in a dub than in subbing, unless you put a wall of text that makes it impossible to follow. And when the dubbing is done correctly, you shouldn't lose the meaning of the original text.

Also, your first video is blocked in France

The map I found on wikipedia had Russia in yellow, but then a Russian told me that they dubbed, so I changed it

The only exception are the Ghibli films, which are even better in English since Disney do such a good voice cast for them.

Switzerland really should actually be striped as belgium and slovakia desu

In red we see the nations that generally don't speak proper English.

we also dub documentaries for the most part desu

Ah yes, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, all have notoriously worse english than Romania, Serbia, Albania, Bosnia
really makes you think

Documentaries are educational, so they usually fall under the "for children" category. Here only David Attenborough got subtitles, and only when on camera. Otherwise it was a voice over.

I can testify to the soothing effects of voice-over. I had access to a belarusian tv station during a weekend-trip and routinely zenned-out to episodes of CSI Miami

Nah

I only use english subs since it's easier to hear what they say when you can read it at same time. In some american films they mumble when they speak so its difficult to understand when you dont have english text under.

>UK is not blue btw. When watching their news they always dub foreigners.
We don't really do dubbing here (except for kids shows).

Foreign movies are always subbed.

90% of the population of other Latin countries can't speak even basic English, and I think dubbing has a lot to do with this.
Italians are especially retarded for not speaking English since their language is spoken in a grand total of 1 (one) country in the entire world.
I think it boils down to delusions of relevance, Portuguese have accepted their country's irrelevance long ago so we're not buttblasted about it.

Switzerland i like you and i am sure you as a person is excellent at English, but you are not great at it in general. I Spent half a year in Vaud and unless the locals had routine contact with foreigners they were completely lost.

I didn't say that the blue countries are necessarily great at it. That said the blues are clearly divided into the nordic countries and the netherlands that generally have a high level of fluency and comprehension and that cluster of smaller southern countries that probably are too small to be bothered to make a complete dub for everything. oh and Portugal which i can't explain

Lmao anyone who hasnt been to Portugal might believe this is one of those humorous edits

yeah I was wondering if it's serious or not.

It's not like the average Mario is going to speak with people from all over the world t b h

Except subs are superior - maybe a reaction to such maps?

>Portuguese have accepted their country's irrelevance
No, it's just that dubbing is more expensive. Also, speaking more than one language has always been a prestigious thing here, unlike say, France or Spain.

Although, the dubbing phase started in the 80's, so it only affects 100% of new generations. Older than that and there's some obvious gaps unless they are college educated

Brazilians and Spanish dub it, we genuinely don't. We often have better English comprehension than you'd expect because of it.

Special snowflake reporting in.

if your country dubs a fucking movie they should killthemselves
the only acceptable thing is to dub children show...
Can you imagine watching the dark knight with some stupid fucking french dub?It devalues the fucking movie so much

>not speaking English since their language is spoken in a grand total of 1 (one) country in the entire world.
>I think it boils down to delusions of relevance, Portuguese have

I Just read the wiki on dubbing and apparently you banned it in 1948 which i guess is kinda interesting.

dubbing is horrible, unless you get the original actors of say a movie to come to france/italy/germany and re-voice the characters dont even bother, will always be shittier than the original

I dunno man it would be a nice subversion of the typical >shitateverythingtugal meme but thia map is legit.
Only childrens movies are dubbed and even then you have the option to watch the original version at the cinema

On the other hand, watching Harry Potter with Brazilian dub is a hilarious experience to do with friends.

>mfw call hufflepuff lufa lufa
>mfw they say Dâmbli-dôri instead od Dumbledoor

Shit's amazing.

Wow I didnt realize that, it's eapecially surprising since the country was in full nationalist propaganda mode at the time being under a dictatorship. You'd expect a MUH LANGUAGE line of thought.
Fortunately our dictator wasnt retarded like say Italy's

Hey ease it with the pooping on "Le chevalier noir". I would imagine that "L'Ascension Du Chevalier Noir" might even be superior version just to get rid of the silly voice of "le Bane"

Well, I'd like to post a GDP per capita map to combat such misconceptions.

He just thought that the people should be able to handle it because they were all becoming literate. It was an incentive to literacy more than anything.

Especially with the ascension of TV and before the internet came on full swing, we were one of the countries of europe that read the most. Not books or newspapers - but subtitles.

the banned dubs because it would mean that there would actually be hollywood movies playing in portugal which isn't true.

>h since their la
I think it was exactly due to the nationalism. This was a way to encourage local filmmaking

Shut up mate, we don't want people coming here.

>richtugal

10/10 ri-me audivelmente fds

It is. For some reason in a building I was living we got a polish channel and there I found out they do that retarded shit.

>portufull

>we are kangz again
Sheeeeeeeeit I like you Ameribro

Exactement mon ami