/gg/ - Gentoo General

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/FAQ.md
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfriends welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

paste.pound-python.org/show/03xuYxkNvZrJaxzoMMng/
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1513009610467.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i was complaining on another thread how gentoo was a pile of shit because you can't find a working tlp package on neither the official or overlay repos. some user came to the rescue with a clover os repo with the working updated package. I'm just writing to thank that nigger and the clover is cunts for doing god's work

You're welcome and thanks

layman -a tlp
emerge tlp

Install gentoo

Is having too many PYTHON_TARGETS bad? I've got the following in my make.conf:

PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 python3_6"
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5"

Pretty sure that's already in profile. So it won't do anything differently

I've got the python profile set to 3.6 for personal projects.

I'm only asking because I'd noticed when emerging that multiple python builds seemed to be being compiled for the same package. I had a paranoid moment when I wondered if I could have been doubly emerging.

I can't think of a reason to have python options in make.conf, so feel free to remove it

Thank you!

>that high profile installation of gentoo turned out to be a failure

>being proud of using software someone else wrote.

Having trouble with CloverOS. Every DE/WM seems to cause the system to freeze nearly immediately. The only one that worked for me was XFCE, but I'd much rather use a WM.
Ive reinstalled multiple times. Is it a problem with my iso? Is there a specific mirror I should be using? Am I a total brainlet tard?

currently installing gentoo, faggots

>livecd

okay gentoomen should I switch profile to 17.0 or stick with 13.0 profile until 17.0 becomes more stable

when using arch it's always a good idea to check the news before updating in case something requires manual intervention. I've heard of gentoo nightmare updates (some gcc shit) and was wondering what I should be checking out before updating, since gentoo.org only has faggy irrelevant news

Need to out Gentoo sometime

answer pls

layman -a palemoon

works but
emerge palemoon

doesn't
what am i doing wrong

17.0 is stabe, 13.0 will be kept in for a few weeks for people that have a huge system and need to rebuild 5000 packages

You provided so little info, at this point there'd be at least 200 different possibe errors.

Did you do emerge --sync after adding the palemoon repo?

emerge palemoon-bin

Upgrade world from tty.

Finally working on upgrading profiles to 17. Ohh GCC 6 it finally is. Nice.

Stupid question here.
Is a musl + systemd profile a good choice?

They say profile 17.0 is supposed to have PIE by default but I see that the pie use flag is not enabled by default why is this?

emerge palemoon says that the package was not found
no but even after doing so it still does the exact same thing
didn't find that package either

paste.pound-python.org/show/03xuYxkNvZrJaxzoMMng/

How long does it take to build something like firefox, chromium or libreoffice? Is it even worth the time?

i was building libreoffice but something didn't compile so i gave up and installed openoffice-bin

TL;DR:

You can change the targets to:
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6"
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"

dont forget to change the use flags:
sed -i -e 's/_python3_5/_python3_6/g' /etc/portage/package.use/*

Then rebuild:
emerge --update --changed-use --deep @world

and clean:
emerge -av --depclean

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

If you are curious what packages have python 3.5 target but no python 3.6 target you can use this command:
comm -3

>emerge -e @world

Thanks

ganu gneto

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1513009610467.webm

# emerge -u gcc
# emerge -u glibc
# emerge -e @ world
# emerge -1 gcc
# emerge -e @world

for maximum performance

Fastest distro ever

pls explain

Pls don't do bullshit like this.

Depends on your system and portage settings. If you're using gentoo then yes, do it, why use a source based distro otherwise