Emacs

What is Sup Forums's opinion on emacs?

I wanted to switch from vim to emacs because it seems to be easier to use with Latex (auctex is pretty amazing), also org-mode seems to be god tier and I really like the idea of having one editor for everything.

What do you guys think? Also, do you have any tricks, any good tutorials for org-mode, workflow suggestions, etc.?

Other urls found in this thread:

nullprogram.com/blog/2009/06/23/
github.com/Smatchcube/Rice/blob/master/.spacemacs
www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/415-15/de-blasio-administration-releases-audit-report-verizon-s-citywide-fios-implementation
theverge.com/2015/9/14/9322481/verizon-fios-access-new-jersey-deal-loophole
youtube.com/watch?v=sQS06Qjnkcc&list=PLVtKhBrRV_ZkPnBtt_TD1Cs9PJlU0IIdE
newartisans.com/2007/08/using-org-mode-as-a-day-planner/
github.com/alezost/guix.el
harmful.cat-v.org/software
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was a vim user and i installed Spacemacs, this is really easy to use and you can customize the layers easily, during the initial setup you have the choice to use vim style editing to keep using vim shortcuts. Maybe i will switch to emacs one day but the spacemac default configuration are so much better than the shitty emacs defaults.
tldr: install spacemacs and save time and energy
muhhh bloat, you can still use vim for short edits.

Amazing for CL, not worth the learning curve for anything else.

I use it for everything.

Org mode is amazing, and I use it for meeting notes as well as a code editor. On my machines at home I use EXWM because I've always got emacs open anyway, so I might as well use it as a window manager.

Indeed. I fucking tried for ages to use vim or emacs but always ended using an IDE.
Except for orgmode. It's so fucking easy. I use it to make docs and render it to latex. And for everyday notes

patched acme > all
(I need the meme up/down arrow navigation)

I know what you mean about using it as an IDE. There's quite a lot of customisation you need to do to make it work well.

I use it for C, Python and Common Lisp, and I wouldn't want to use anything else now.

I think it's great.

I started off with vim, but once I got to the point I had to mutate my vim config with plugins to make it anything worth using it turned into a pumpkin.

I switched to Emacs and after learning the initial flow it's actually really comfy. And the keybindings make sense.

Now when I recently installed a different distro I used nano instead of vi when configuring because vi/vim is pretty ass backwards once you see the other side.

I use Rmail, org mode, and ledger mode also the standard text editing

I do all my writing in org-mode. Why anyone would use markdown when org-mode exists is beyond me.

It's lucky that org-mode isn't for vim because I've never been able to get on with it like I have with emacs.

if you're on the emacs camp and won't vi why not zile? Smaller than nano.

I use it as a python IDE, for org-mode, LaTeX, IRC this is so comfy.

I said for the initial install. Nano is just there but previously when drinking the vim koolaid I would have used vi, which was ok for the time. I didn't know any different. But once I switched going back to the vi keybindings, which I did get used to, they felt terrible in comparison what Emacs can offer. So I went to nano because it's basic as fuck and doesn't get in the way like vi.

Also I'm someone who changed all my keybindings to vim like keys. My web browser used vim keys, I made my terminal use vim keys, but after the switch you really see how terrible vim keybindings are.

> (OP)
>I use it for everything.
>Org mode is amazing, and I use it for meeting notes as well...
Same for me. Plain emacs loads fast on modern hardware and since it has less functionality also has very fewer bugs, however I use Spacemacs for all the benefits that come with it.
Also in org mode I can insert biits of code when I want to try some math equation.
BTW if you need a calculator from a more civilized time, calc is a beast.
Lastly, but not least, if you use regularly emacs the best next thing you can do is learning elisp (always use lexical scope).

I think is something every programmer should know how to use.

Sure there might be more flashy editors like Sublime or VSCode, but man, Emacs makes me happy. There is something about lisp that makes me giggle.

I agree, vim keybindings are logically terrible but the core concept of never leaving the home row is godly. Emacs style ^/M shortcuts are equally terrible but usable.

I started on ed so I can get by with only command mode and ignore all that anyway but vi is in busybox. Nano a shit.

>Plain emacs loads fast on modern hardware

For me it loads faster than the Mint standard editor, and takes up less memory as well, which is pretty crazy to think about.

It depends on which load it is, the emacs daemon makes subsequent launches basically free. I am particularly disgusted with the gnu implementation but most of the power is in the packages so thats unavoidable.

anyone got advice on how to start with emacs as a vim user? I've completed the tutorial, the default keybindings are awful, but the concepts and plugins feel nice. Should I just alias nvim='emacs' when my workload is small enough to take the dip in productivity? Spacemacs looks promising, but the amount of documentation still implies you know your way around emacs.

I would say get used to vanilla emacs and then add on top of it once your comfortable.

That way you can use any Emacs install without having your dependencies.

If you really need a crutch then yeah install evil mode or spacemacs, both are bloated configs when I think it's best to setup your own. Because that's what Emacs is about, making it your own. And the vanilla install is a good starting point.

I got comfortable with vanilla emacs in like a day or two. It doesn't take that long surprisingly with all the new foreign key combinations.

Can you share your config? Or atleast say which plugins you use? I would love to use it for the same expect irc.

org-mode is the singularity for me.

The html-mode shortcuts are nifty when you get into them as well.

What do you like about auctex?
I am currently using vanilla Emacs for latex. What am I missing out on?

But
> Muh bloat

Redpill me on calc.

nullprogram.com/blog/2009/06/23/

How do you guys adapt your work flow? I'm used to just spawning multiple Gvim windows all the time, moving between and working with those. Thia doesn't really replicate with multiple instances of emacsclient.

Every file you open in Emacs will be in the buffer. So just open the files you want. Use either C-x b open a buffer by name or C-x C-b to view your buffer list and choose. Also C-x k to kill your current buffer if you have OCD about unused buffers being still in your list.

Emacs has its own window management thing going, which atleast for me, was impossible to grasp. But now I am used to it.
You should look into winner mode if you want windows to stick.
If you are talking about frames, what's wrong with spawning multiple frames?

You can have latex formulas and tables generated inside the editor so you don't need a preview.

just add the lines :
org
latex
python
to your .spacemacs (the config file) after installing spacemacs and running spacemacs at least one time.
It will automatically install the plugins (layers) and everything will be setup for you. You can check my config file here to see where you must copy the lines: github.com/Smatchcube/Rice/blob/master/.spacemacs
don't copy my entire config file because it will install an irc plugin and other useless thing for you.

Thanks man, I will try spacemacs eventually, but for now I want to try using vanilla emacs to see how far i will get with it.

>Every file you open in Emacs will be in the buffer.

This is what irritates me the most, I like to have multiple windows with separate groups of files, e.g. some for data analysis, another for the paper I am working on. I'll look into whether grouping is possible.

Multiple emacs windows (not emacsclient) aren't really feasible given that spacemacs takes forever to start. I've been using spacemacs because it made switching much easier without slowing down my work. However I im trying to also grasp the emacs way of doing things. I've just recently looked at the spacemacs github page and realized they have like 1500 open issues. Seems like the project is doomed anyway.

So you just never close buffers?

>Another argument in favour of the reversal of net neutrality rules is that ISP's have promised that the quality of web access will not get worse for any of the end users compared to what it is now. This will be achieved by introducing fast internet lanes without throttling any traffic that doesn't use them. So, the end users would be able to chose between fairly good quality content that they currently have access to or highly-reliable premium quality content (e.g. 4K videos).

What idiot would believe their lies ??

ISP's can't even fulfill binding contracts to roll out high speed internet to various states

www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/415-15/de-blasio-administration-releases-audit-report-verizon-s-citywide-fios-implementation

theverge.com/2015/9/14/9322481/verizon-fios-access-new-jersey-deal-loophole

So tell me again, why I should believe their promises ?

Yup. Welcome to emacs

Never thought that was the intended way to use it. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I do all my writing on a computer that never shuts down. There's a reason one shortcut saves every buffer.

I personally close any buffers I know I don't need anymore with C-x k (kill current buffer)

But most people using Emacs just keeps a buffer list populating. It's not uncommon for an Emacs user to have 200+ buffers open. It seems crazy, but emacs allows it.

what on earth are you talking about, emacs workflow is god tier. Even if org mode didn't exist, that and evil would've been enough to get me to switch.

And are you referring to actual emacs "windows", or "frames"? because if you're opening a brand new frame just to view buffers side-by-side, you're doing it horribly wrong. Emacs already has a tiling window manager inside of it, how the hell is that making it difficult to view buffers?

>>project that's been going strong since the 80's
>but muh gitgub issues
>project is doomed

The undo buffer loop is also a glorious feature that emacs offers.

Most editors you can only go forward or backwards to a certain point.

With emacs you can have an entire loop of changes to your buffer that you can revert back to at anytime.

It really is a beautiful thing.

This. Vim/Emacs text editor holywars are fucking retarded. I use the appropriate tool for the job and it's usually an IDE. That said, orgmode is something special and I use daily for all kinds of shit. Emacs in general is a fucking gore filled mess but orgmode is zen.

How did you guys get started with org mode? The manual is xboxhueg.

Spacemacs, not Emacs. Spacemacs has open PRs a year or more old.

Just put it in a search engine my dude. There are a million articles out there about what can be done with orgmode, a short intro-to-org-mode will give you some hints, but it's really down to you to have an idea and then make it work. Orgmode is godly precisely because you can pretty much do anything with it.

Here's a nice series of video tutorials that helped me grasp the task management related features of Org that I now use heavily:
youtube.com/watch?v=sQS06Qjnkcc&list=PLVtKhBrRV_ZkPnBtt_TD1Cs9PJlU0IIdE

I like it a lot. TRAMP lets you edit remote files over ssh super easily just open the remote file like so: /user@host:/path/to/file and emacs sets up the ssh connection and gets the copy of a file and saves it when you are done. Also the LaTeX support is great and the autoformatting is pretty good too. It's pretty easy to learn if you use the gtk version because you have regular drop down menus that list the keyboard shortcuts.

Emacs keybindings are nice to learn for bash as well because bash shares some of the navigation bindings.

ur using emacs. bloat is not a concern

Emacs is a 11/10 piece of software. I really wish everything was this well-made.

Here's what I used to move my Getting Things Done routine to Emacs:
newartisans.com/2007/08/using-org-mode-as-a-day-planner/

Really, the best way to learn and grow with the editor is to learn the basic commands and then use it. It grows with you.

As successful as emacs is it still carries a lot of baggage. Elisp had hold overs from TECO still came about way too soon to benefit from other lisp implementations.

Isn't that with everything though? There isn't one silver bullet. Everything has something that's shitty about it, but with Emacs it seems like it has sooo much going for it to look over the defective parts.

Everyone can have a little more Emacs in their life.

Bump

Install Guix sometime in a VM and try it with Emacs-Guix, github.com/alezost/guix.el

"I want a unix distro with only X programs installed and custom configured, these users with completely different profiles, and these X running services." This is simple in emacs to create a fleet of servers or desktops.

It's harmful.

>harmful.cat-v.org/software

>emacs is God tier you're so dumb for not using it like me
>no reading comprehension or empathy
>making up assumptions about others

I know all that. It's just that I have a completely different workflow ingrained from using vim. Go get your autism checked.

you should check _your_ reading comprehension user, because despite hurting your fee-fees, there weren't any "assumptions about others" being made, just the fact that frames != windows, and that what you were complaining about has a standard solution that everybody already uses, already built in. You're just making your own life harder by deliberately not learning to use the tool efficiently. No tools are ever gonna work well for you if you don't bother to learn how to use them the way they were designed to be used. I can't just go into vim and stubbornly pretend I'm still using emacs, then go bitch about it when it doesn't do what I want for example. If you had simply asked for help on how to improve your workflow like an adult, instead of arrogantly complaining like a douchebag, you might've actually gotten a (((nicer))) response. These aren't the fucking ubuntu forums.

This alone is reason enough to use the best text editing framework in existence.

>If you had simply asked for help on how to improve your workflow like an adult,
I did just that initially, and I'm not trying to make emacs like vim, but actually trying to learn how to properly adapt to it, it's just that years of habit aren't easy to get rid of in a week. Thanks anyways for pointing out that what I meant with windows is called a frame in emacs.

I used to use emacs pretty much exclusively but I have started using kwrite at work, something about it appeals to me.