I have a CS friend who is telling me I should learn to program in C++

I have a CS friend who is telling me I should learn to program in C++
Im in college for IT is there any reason for me to really try to learn C++?

A million ficking threads on brogramming languaged a day

"Which language should I use/learn, hurr durr"

Just learn something. Go ahead learn it. There are a million pages online about this, there's no point in asking Sup Forums as you will only receive some meme answer.

thanks user

C++ is an annoying first language for a novice to learn, mainly because of dealing with overhead such as garbage collection, pointers and type safety.

I would recommend Java or Python for a first language, C++ is quite useless unless you want to work on embedded systems and have strong dedication to master it.

I use arch linux and also C++

no
kill yourself.
The correct order to learn programming is: C->C++->Java/C#/Python -> Everything else
Understanding assembly before learning C is another huge plus

>using a 3D girl to promote your meme distoro

is that right?
my buddy told me that C++ was a simple and easy first language and that I should start by learning object oriented design
but IDK

how is it ? I wanted to go to college for IT but i'm just not sure yet

also what are the chances of being hired ?

depends on how much you enjoy doing IT stuff really
(desu a monkey could pass the classes)
I know a whole bunch of people who were in for CS but switched to IT because its so much easier

high chances you can work almost anywhere that there is a computer

I plan to go and work at a mom&pop store as a personal IT guy once im out of school

> garbage collection
> C++

reminder that these are the people who give you advice on Sup Forums

could you pay rent and other things with IT ?

C++ doesn't have a garbage collector. Anything that detracts from the fundamentals of PROGRAMMING is not well suited for beginners.

There's a reason many solid CS programs don't their freshmen with C++.

lol easily for a 40 hour work week you make about $44,000 a year

sounds good desu, I think i'm going to do it

I know a guy who makes $59,169 a year and hes right out of college with an IT degree
IT is a pretty good field IMO

How many programming languages should I learn for this field? are there any other things i should know before going to college for this ?

basically you only really need to learn very basic stuff nothing huge

most of the time if somethings broken I dont think of a way to fix it Ill just throw a new part in to fix the broken one and call it a day

not really like I said IT is the easiest field out of all the tech fields IMO

>Java
Is this bait?

if you're using garbage collection with C++ kill yourself.
RESOURCE ACQUISITION IS INITIALIZATION you dingus.

the correct order is python -> java (optional) -> C -> C++ -> assembly -> whatever
python is great to learn first because you can focus more on what's really important, the data structures/ interactions and problem solving

I think learning C, then C++/Java/C#/Python is a decent order. C is a small language and it is helpful to know what features a younger language has to better understand and appreciate why those features are there.

You don't want to learn just one language, you want to learn several. So it doesn't really matter where you start. C++, Java, or Python. Pick one.

If you're in IT, you don't need to do much, if any programming. If you do, a scripting language will work.

If you're in IT learn powershell and bash.
Any other language is just a plus but not required. Maybe .net if you get into DevOps

>reddit spacing
>C++ has garbage collection
Its time go back

STOP FUCKING AROUND.
STOP ASKING Sup Forums ABOUT LANGUAGES.
STOP COMPARING LANGUAGES.
OPEN YOUR DAMN C++ BOOK AND READ IT AND DO EXERCISES.

I Just finished Year 1 prog (Java se)
I found it quite challenging but got there in the end.

Next year is C++
I have dug a little into C++ and one of the main differences is that Java automatically gives you alot more to play with. C++ wants you to even import the simple stuff such as string input and output. It is also alot easier to compile and run simple Java programs than C++ because of the Java VM.

With Java I found with the IDE's I used i could quickly create many main files and they would all run properly. Whereas with C++ you need to make a whole project for each file which starts getting a bit annoying.

But i have only just had a brief look at C++ but this is what i found. I think if you started with C++ it wouldn't make any difference as you would get more used to doing stuff the 'long' way.

C++ is more of a way of life than programming tbqh. even Java doesn't come close to the amount of things C++ has.

wish I had programmed *only* in C++ my entire life tbqh

>C++ was a simple and easy first language
no
god no
C++ is a powerhouse of a language. it's not necessarily bad to start out with it but don't expect it to be forgiving.

>I should start by learning object oriented design
now this is true.

1. Read a book on C and understand it.
2. Think of a project you want to make.
3. Make it in Python (if you really know C then python should be easier than shit and should take you 15 minutes to pick up at the most.
4. Program a shit ton, until you know the right questions to ask.
5. Use google.
6. Once you feel like you're decent which may take a few years, learn Lisp or some shit like that.
7. There you go now go get a high paying job

I'm assuming you mean manual memory management, rather than garbage collection.

In that case: wouldn't it be preferable to have beginners understand what's actually happening when they type things? Theoretical things like data structures should be left for more experienced programmers.

can I just learn all this shit on my own and get a job without uni?

was gonna join the milltree, but I got disqualified because of my hearing (at high frequencies)

Do you want to stick to Java and webdev shit or do you have an actual interest for the backend of things and want to start working in the tech industry?
C++ is very worth learning if the later applies. It's a lot harder and more complex than Java&co but even just knowing the basic is going to open a lot of doors that will otherwise remain tightly shut if you want to make an actual career out of your code monkey job.

If you can find a way to get invited and are charismatic enough to convince them to give you a shot, yes. Without certs and documents you usually won't even get that chance though. Maybe if you have a fuckton of skills and previous projects you can show them on your git or something, but if you have that chances are you will have some certifications too.