I'm Looking to buy an new computer this week for christmas, any help would be nice

my desktop is almost 10 years old and it's really weak and kinda dying, so i'm in need of a new computer

currently i have my eyes set on this:
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-15-6-laptop-amd-a12-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-platinum-gray/5828300.p?skuId=5828300

it's cheap and the specs aren't so bad? i think? is it a decent computer? or is there better options? if so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. my budget is around $500 btw.

I use the computer for browsing the internet, light gaming, and drawing (so i need it to run CSP/Sai/Photoshop well), but really i'm just looking for these specs:
4GB (8 is ideal)
1TB storage
at least 2.5 gigahertz
and a CD/DVD drive (i still use old media and noticed lots of laptops don't have them anymore)

i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers or specs so again any help getting the best laptop possible on my budget would be super appreciated :)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLBJV7
icuracao.com/acer-notebook-a515-51-50rr-15-6-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-obsidian-black.html
amazon.com/HP-15-6-Touchscreen-i5-7200U-Bluetooth/dp/B077GN5H7D/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513654164&sr=1-2&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011,p_36:40000-55000,p_n_condition-type:2224371011
amazon.com/HP-ENVY-x360-Convertible-Laptop/dp/B0787BCYWL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513654511&sr=8-1&keywords=ryzen 2500u
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What you want to do on this PC, what battery life do you need...

MacBook Pro 13" No touch bar

Used thinkpad

>at least 2.5 gigahertz
And GHz are nothing usually all depends not only on frequency, also on CPU architecture, number of cores and etc.
OP want new laptop for 500$.

just general use mostly i guess
browsing the web
to play a few games i wanna play on steam
i like to draw so it should run photoshop/clipstudio etc
and a cd/dvd drive
battery life? idk maybe 5+ hours?

not the biggest apple fan, plus they're waaay out of my budget

all my steam games need a min of 2.5gigaherts so that's where i got that from

sorry i had to google that, but i prefer not used?
i know for being a poor bastard i don't really have a place to be picky but i've have bad experiences with used electronics

>browsing the web
All modern PC pass this task with flying colors
>to play a few games i wanna play on steam
Usually, decent GPU is more necessary, that decent CPU.
By the way, it is strange in 2k17 mentioning CPU frequency in requirements. Which games for example?
>i like to draw so it should run photoshop/clipstudio etc
Not that much power is needed, but it is good to have more, because waiting sucks.
>battery life? idk maybe 5+ hours?
Not at this price, unless it is low-powered celeron/pentium.
It would be 3 hours at best.

Also it worth checking if you can update RAM, because soldered RAM on mobo sucks.
By the way, that Lenovo is not bad, you can buy it. And it will do stuff for you, except battery-life.
And reminder: Lenovo laptops have tendency to have cracks in plastic case in area close to hinges. So do not open-close the lid frequently.

>buying new hardware during christmas

Yep, worth buying after xmas.
Jewish trick

Thinkpad T430 + 1TB SSD
there you go

>All modern PC pass this task with flying colors
that's good to hear!
>Usually, decent GPU is more necessary, that decent CPU.
>By the way, it is strange in 2k17 mentioning CPU frequency in requirements. Which games for example?
i have random games that my PC cant run like the Resident Evil games and i have been wanting to try overwatch. I'm not looking for perfect 60fps+ on high settings or whatever. just that they can run and are playable.
>Not that much power is needed, but it is good to have more, because waiting sucks.
yeah just as long as the programs dont slow down when i have more that 10 layers, then that would be great
>Not at this price, unless it is low-powered celeron/pentium.
>It would be 3 hours at best.
that's expected i just threw out 5, i'll be using it at home most of the time anyways

uh i think it's soldered on,
anyways thanks for the help i feel more confident with this now, but i'm still open to suggestions :)

are they significantly cheaper after xmas?

I have exactly one of these with a i7 7500U and some crappy dedicated gpu that I bought recently to replace an aging laptop. Not sure why that one is 720p while mine is 1080p, but surely you'd benefit from a better resolution if you're going to use it for art stuff?

From my own experience I'd suggest get something with a better build quality if you can. I had to open the thing to figure out why the HDD was so damn loud, turns out the cage where the drive is located vibrates a lot. A lot of people have been complaining about this in the Lenovo forums.

Do your research, some models in this line come with soldered RAM and Lenovo is not very clear about which ones.

Not quite, because your laptop is generic, it will cost the same. Some high-end models might be selled cheaper.
By the way, memory seems not to be soldered...
>Overwatch
I think it would run OK
>Resident Evil
Tough cookie, needs Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX-6300 or better, and decent GPU as well.
I think will be unplayble or looowest graphics.

Add some dosh and get this
amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLBJV7

thanks both of you, i should really do a bit more homework though
but only having bought 2 computers(the last being in 2009) in my life i'm really stupid when it comes to computers,specs and brands

not having much of a budget doesn't help much either

ehhh that looks pretty good? the 225GB storage kills me and it's just out of my budget but maybe i could manage,

is this one much better than the earlier one i posted?

good luck. laptops now days are fucking ruined. thinshit has ruined everything. enjoy paying 500 bucks for a thin plastic turd with a chiclet keyboard and washed out display. only way around it is to fork out the dough for a macbook.
>inb4 mac
you can run whatever OS you want idiots.

The one you posted isn't even full hd. Plus AMD laptops have been consistently terrible throughtout the years.

I'd go for it and maybe replace the optical drive for another hdd. If you really need to burn CDs and DVDs an external drive is pretty cheap these days.

thank you!
that's how retarded i am when it comes to computers, i had no idea you could buy and optical disc drive on amazon for $20 and plug it into a computer through usb... amazing

that actually really opens up my options,
i looked around and this store seems to carry the same laptop but with 1TB of storage?

icuracao.com/acer-notebook-a515-51-50rr-15-6-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-obsidian-black.html

>only way around it is to fork out the dough for a macbook
i'm poor lol

>only way around it is to fork out the dough for a macbook.
Macs are the epitome of thin low quality chinkshit.

Laptop "Expert" here, I will try to help you.

First, don't ever get an AMD laptop if it's not a Ryzen/Raven Ridge CPU, that A12 is a piece of shit by today's standards.

If you get an used Thinkpad, you will get the best cost benefit (obviously), but it may come with stains and shit, not everyone likes it (including me), so I will show you the best deal I could find right now:

15.6 inch HP, core i5-7200U, 8GB of RAM and 2TB HDD - $480

link:
amazon.com/HP-15-6-Touchscreen-i5-7200U-Bluetooth/dp/B077GN5H7D/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513654164&sr=1-2&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011,p_36:40000-55000,p_n_condition-type:2224371011

If you don't want this model, search for another laptop with a core i5-7200U, it's a fucking great CPU and you will find lots of cheap ones with it.

Give preference to the following brands: Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus, Samsung and maybe Acer.

However, if I were you... I would save a little bit more and get a Raven Ridge HP Envy for $750, it's 2x more powerful, has a beautiful display and will last you much longer.

link to the HP Envy:
amazon.com/HP-ENVY-x360-Convertible-Laptop/dp/B0787BCYWL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513654511&sr=8-1&keywords=ryzen 2500u

It's a 4-core/8-thread laptop with really powerful graphics, I would pay the extra $250 for this extra power + IPS display any day.

>I'm Looking to buy an new computer
Found your problem.

never get used gaymen laptops.
avoid gaming laptops
avoid discrete GPUs on laptops

>t. brainlet

enjoy cracking your mobo or having to pay $50 to reball your GPU every 2-3 months

>things that never happen

Best Buy has some gaymen laptops for $600 that come with a $300-$600 VR headset of your choice. I'd recommend getting one of those and selling the headset.

> reballing never happens
> cracked mobos are non-existant
t.brainlet

>things that happen to 0.01% of laptops must happen to 100% of laptop because i say so
Fuck off brainlet.

Link?

I'll bet you're running (nominally) the same applications as ten years ago, so what's happened?

Notebookcheck gave this bad reviews for the drivers