/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10#kf
amazon.com/dp/B01JNUO6BG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CRQ4ASJDCKUF&colid=2TW49UNC6Q8N8&psc=1
amazon.com/dp/B01MA62JSZ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2D5AGI2LYWXLH&colid=2TW49UNC6Q8N8&psc=1
amazon.com/dp/B01M6Y671T/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y1I3QOGRJ06E&colid=2TW49UNC6Q8N8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/kyLKCy
uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/7dr6Mp
pcpartpicker.com/list/3kYtVY
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/nYXNXH
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not a gaymer, but considering picking up a dell u3014. Any opinions?

No. If it is fits your needs, go for it.

100% yes. But with such a massive screen you want to sit a fair bit away from it.

Thanks! My desk is pretty deep so shouldn't be an issue. I also have two 2007fp's... Will make a nice PLP.

My MSI B350M MORTAR Motherboard has an RGB header, and I am currently using MSI Mystic Light to control the RGB strip that I bought. But MSI Mystic Light is a garbage piece of software.

Is there other software that I could use?

How do I make sure a graphics card I choose is compatible with my system, my motherboard is proprietary. (pic related is specs)

My current gpu is a dead radeon r9 270, looking for something better, I use unreal engine and do some 3D stuff, and only vidya I play are only mobas usually, any recommendations appreciated.

budget 300-450.

Any comment on this motherboard?

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10#kf

It is the cheapest ITX board I could get. Price at $115.

how the fuck do I turn off that dumb red bios light on asrock z370 extreme4

First desktop I'm building since 2010

Just bought
> RX580 Nitro+ for 275$
> i5-8400 for 199$

did I fuck up?

What's the best way to go about adding Wi-Fi to my PC?

PCIe or USB?

TP Link or Asus? Or Netgear?

Is there any point in going 802.11ac if I don't have a Dual Band Router? My current router is an old Linksys E2000, but it can utilize 5GHz and my laptop gets 144mbps connecting to it. Right now, my PC only gets 78mbps at most (with an old cisco USB wifi adapter).

Is Wi-Fi even an option if I want to stream games to other devices using something like Steam Link? I know you're heavily encouraged to use an Ethernet cable, but it's not an option for me (the port in my room is broken). I heard it can be done with wi-fi using a dual band connection, but trying to understand what I need first.

Yes, by rushing. You should've waited until the B370 motherboards came out.

explain? I can still cancel my order.

how long until we start building our own phones

You're buying an i5-8400, but the only motherboards out for Coffee Lake are Z-series, which are high end and build for performance/overclocking.

B series is releasing early next year, and better suited for non-K chips that don't overclock. You can either wait for those motherboards to release or buy a low end Z series like the Pro4 or the Prime-P, which aren't really good for overclocking anyway.

I know you guys aren't a fan of rgb but do you think I should pay the extra so I'm not locked to black+red? Choosing this because its one of 2 keyboards on pcpp for mx silent keys

You can turn the lighting off on that board.

I'm using Edimax EW-7833UAC, it's okay/10

The amount of available keyboards without gaymer red switches or loud af blue switches are embarrassingly small.

I'd personally look for brown switches with a preferred color backlight. If you can't find anything like that, then buy RGB.

Considering building an HTPC/torrent box/backup server. I wanted to ask Sup Forums a couple of questions, some obvious, some not so obvious:

What would be a good software to backup my laptop files locally over wifi once a week on Windows?

Is it a good idea to combine these all together if I have enough space under my tv set to hold a medium-big server box with about 10 HDDs, or should I use multiple machines?

What would be the best hardware to use for this if I'm planning to have it torrent basically 24/7 and backup weekly while always being able to be used as an HTPC?

>PCIe or USB?
PCIe so there's no possibility of a bottleneck if your USB is shit

>TP Link or Asus? Or Netgear?
Rosewill for Wireless N. Asus for AC. Never buy TP Link. Netgear is okay but they're more known on the router side.

>Is there any point in going 802.11ac if I don't have a Dual Band Router?
Not really. Unless you have an internet connection above 150mbps, then AC won't do you any good.

I want backlighting, at least at night.
What are brown switches like? I'm pretty concerned about the noise as I share a studio with my gf and don't want her driven insane by clacking

narrowed it down to this based on some info from OP. should I grab the 1060?
amazon.com/dp/B01JNUO6BG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CRQ4ASJDCKUF&colid=2TW49UNC6Q8N8&psc=1

amazon.com/dp/B01MA62JSZ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2D5AGI2LYWXLH&colid=2TW49UNC6Q8N8&psc=1

amazon.com/dp/B01M6Y671T/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y1I3QOGRJ06E&colid=2TW49UNC6Q8N8&psc=1

>PCIe so there's no possibility of a bottleneck if your USB is shit
USBs can bottleneck? I have plenty of 3.1 ports. One of the reasons I brought up Netgear is because they only do USB adapters (ie- no PCIe).

>Never buy TP Link
Why? Are they shit? Is that why they're better value than Asus on the specs side of things?

>Not really. Unless you have an internet connection above 150mbps, then AC won't do you any good.
So the key is to get a connection above 150mbps? As I said, I have a Laptop that can hit around those speeds, even with my old turd of a router, so long as I turn on 5GHz.

you'll be fine with 1050ti if you don't do that much vidya

Does your motherboard have a free PCIE 16x slot?
Is your power supply an aftermarket one?

If yes to both: congratulations, your system is compatible with literally any modern graphics card. Get a GTX 1070 and never need to upgrade for a long, long time.

Should I ascend to godhood from an SSD to an NVME?

>Did I fuck up
Graphics card? Not exactly. While you could have gotten better for the money, it's still a good card.
Processor? Definitely. Should have gotten a Ryzen processor.

what's the best value for money nvme ssd anyway

no

Which motherboard?

You may have plenty of ports but they're all connected to only a few root hubs.
Believe it or not, even root hubs can be saturated to the point where other peripherals become affected if they're connected to the same root hub. So far, however, the only device that I know that can do this are devices like the Elgato Cam Link.

PSU is overkill and you don't really need WD Black when you have SSD
also that mobo is shit

Someone build me a decent server.

I got the parts and I'm about to update my long lived workhorse for Christmas. Did I do bad?

New parts:
>Ryzen 1700X
>8 GB 3000 MHz DDR4
>Asrock AB350M Pro4 mATX
>pair of maglev Corsairs
>USB 3 hub mountable to floppy disk bay

Old shit
>Radeon HD7850
>Terabytes of HDDs
>120 GB sata III SSD
>Scythe Ninja cooler
>Antec Sonata Case
>Super Flower Gold Green 400W PSU

Will it explode?

probably

is the 8700K worth $45 more than the 8700?
would buy 8700 because overclocking seems like retardedly small gains but only 8700K is in stock for the last 2 months

what is your fan configuration ? Do you guys think one on the front one in the back is enough or do you feel the need to fill every fan mount possible ? Also do you preffer positive, negative or neutral air pressure ?

Looking to get a new case. Any recommendations for a silent build? Considering P400S or Nanoxia Deep Silence. I also need to buy some rubber mounts.

How does one pick a mouse or keyboard outside the amount of buttons for the former and the layout for the latter? Price aside, of course.

Is it worth upgrading from an I5 2500k yet(I overclocked it to 4.00 ghz).
I've had this bad boy for like 6 years but every time I looked up new CPUs they didn't seem that great.
I'd also need a new motherboard so it'd be a pretty big investment.

>Processor? Definitely. Should have gotten a Ryzen processor.
Spotted the idiotic AMD fanboy.

You can scream at people for buying the opposing brand all you like, the benchmarks still won't change.

settings options via software or firmware linked to button combos, like minimum to maximum DPI (high dpi + low res = impossible to control)
shape suited to claw or palm grip
materials, at least one mouse I know of is made of PBT rather than ABS plastic so it doesn't get shiny after prolonged use
LEDs or lack there of
logitech have fancy mouse wheels that can swap between either clicking or freely spinning
the sensor unit some units are known to have poor accuracy/angle snapping/acceleration
whether or not the microswitches are replaceable (these are always the first thing to break in a mouse and damage usually manifests as double clicking on a single click or inability to hold a held click)
this is just what to consider for a mouse

i like the autistic screeching of favela intel cucks

>THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE

Not really because Coffee Lake is damn near impossible to find.

>damn near impossible to find.
maybe for americlaps but here I can pick up any of the unlocked coffee lake CPUs and they've consistently been in stock for a month
strangely the locked parts (except the i3) are impossible to find anywhere
since I don't feel like OCing this sucks for me though

ASUS DUAL-GTX1070-O8G (New) being sold for 400$ at one of my local retailer.

Is it worth it despite owning a freesync monitor ? The design/color is pretty sick and match the theme of my build, but it might feel outdated compare to the 1070s Ti

> ASUS DUAL
It is a piece of shit for RX 480 and there are no radiators on memory chips. Look up reviews, maybe 1070 version is better.

I've read about the RX480 fiasco and comparison with the 1070 version. It seems unanimous that they did improve.

Any idea when GPU prices will lower? All I want is for crypto to crash heavily oh my God

There ARE deals. Lurk more or die, nig

this gud? pcpartpicker.com/list/kyLKCy

Pretty shit monitor, but I'm guessing you're not planning on gayming so it's fine. Decent build all around.

I just bought a second HDD because mine crashed the other day and had to fix itself for like an hour.

I know how to put it into my computer and check it's ok, but everything after that seems way too complicated. Do I really need to delete everything on my computer just to get it to work properly? I'd really rather not. I got this so I wouldn't lose everything I have, it wasn't my intention to spend £40 AND lose everything too.

yea if indeed I am going to game, I'll probably switch it out for an Asus 21.5" monitor.

What is the best equivalence of this in windows 10?

You can mirror all the content to the other drive and make an exact copy, but I wouldn't recommend it since the other drive is not in a good state and probably has a lot of corrupted data in the OS blocks.

Just do the following.

1. Put in your new drive.
2. Boot into your installation media for your OS.
3. Install fresh OS on the new drive.
4. Simply drag over all your shit you want to save from the old drive to the new.

I need to buy a microphone for ERP
I currently have the BM-800 + a phantom power but it sounds like shit. Even with a USB audio card. Idk how to mod it and i dont want to try... So i'm wondering if i can get a better microphone that is normie overpriced stuff like the blue snowball. Also, the phantom power was some cheap generic $15 chinese thing.

I think the consensus is don’t upgrade if you only play gaemz, but if you do actual work then you will find it worthwhile

Windows 7

Overclocking is not recommended by Intel goy.

isn't*

Hypothetically, if I got photoshop for free using illegal means could I somehow transfer that over to the other drive and be able to use it on that one if the first one breaks? It's really the only thing I'm worried about losing without photoshop I will literally starve lmao

Did you throw away the installation file? Moving over the whole installation could work, I'm not sure.

But either way, installing windows on a new drive doesn't mean the old installation is gone. Until you delete the windows partition on the old drive, you will dual boot, so when you start the computer, it will ask you which drive you want to boot on, so you don't lock yourself out of anything by trying.

is g102 any good?
im not spending more than 20 usd on a fucking mouse

Any thoughts on this build for playing AAA games? Fallout/Skyrim SE/PUBG etc.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/7dr6Mp
The guys who made it recommends changing the motherboard so i'd do that, but otherwise thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/3kYtVY
Is this build OK?

I plan on using it mainly for gaming. I realize I don't need the i7 for that, especially since I currently have no intention of overclocking but I get a great deal for a bundle of i7-7700k, Vengeance LPX 16gb ddr4-3000 and Asus Z270F for 570€ which is, based on my research, really cheap.

The main thing I want to find out with this post is if I really fucked up somewhere and also if maybe the CPU cooler and PSU are an overkill.

Thanks in advance.

(Don't know if it's very noticable but I normally don't lurk Sup Forums since I get 'interested' in HW every 5~ years when I build a new rig)

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/7dr6Mp
>athlon
just get ryzen nigger

>pcpartpicker.com/list/3kYtVY
you too, quad cores are outdated, get a 1600 instead

Thank you for your reply but I have a question.

I checked some comparisons and apparently the i7-7700k is better than i5-8400. Not by much but it seemed to be consistently better in all the tests.

If I decide to go for a newer generation i5-8400 I have to buy MB and ram separately and I will pay roughtly 150-200€ more + I willl have to purchase the CPU at a separate store.

Is it worth it?

(the base for this rig was the CPU, MB, ram combo)

What's the trick to getting a free windows 10 key if I have a windows 7 one already?

Both of them are threadlet shit, both of them will get choked at 100% in modern games, like i said get a 1600

>What's the trick to getting a free windows 10 key
bittorrent

Is a $400 build for WoW and Rocket League realistic if I don't have to buy an OS and peripherals?

You'll probably need a mounting bracket for the cooler to work with the 1700x.

>Kaby Pentium
>Implying bare minimum gaming
>not pairing it with a 1060/580

Best case that is £60 or lower?

I have a very loud stock cooler intel cpu , it was pretty dusty but I removed all the dust , yet the fan is still super loud. I was wondering if I could just remove the fan and leave the radiator in place? Im running a i5 2320 and it doesnt seem that hot but I was wondering if it could work .. Currently waiting on a new build

what set of monitors should i get? budget is 1000 dollars

no you idiot you cant remove the fan dont be stupid

I'm sorry but I'm still not convinced. I also checked and I would pay 60€ more if I replaced the i7-7700k with a 1600 and bought mobo and ram separately due to the discount.

I've also googled what you meant and if you mean that games will use all the cores which will make i7-7700k a disadvantage.. how real is this threat? Can you give me an example of a game where this cpu is already underperforming, compared to ones with more cores, so I can check some videos?

you seem like the kind of moron that removes the oil from a,l car then wonders why it breaks down

I just went and bought the Fractal S anyway.

Wrong person.

R8 my pc

Absolutely fucking disgusting. Are you a 14 year old girl?

fucking weebs

If I just want a low power system for a home server that I can leave on 24/7 (mostly running as a NAS), is there any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper skylake pentiums?

if youre going to use it for NAS go find something like pic related that consumes 10w below

You're the specific person who people refer to when "entry-level taste" is mentioned.

Just built my first pc in over a decade. R5 1600 on an msi b350 gaming pro, rx580 8g, and 16g corsair 3000hz ram.

Bios up to date, ram still running at 2133. Gonna try oc the cpu and ram for the first time in my life so Ive been watching and reading tutorials, but I wanted to know if you Sup Forumsoys have any particular sources you recommend before I go frying shit up.

Also, my firecuda 2tb failed last night after less than 30days of use and I lost all my data. Fuck that.

is there any possibility that an external harddrive could cause problems with my onboard audio?

Ryzen 1200 is $100
1050 Ti is $150
B350 board is $50
Memory is $80 for 8GB
PSU is at least $30 for something that won't explode
HDD is at least $40

I would really recommend saving up more.

You have to use XMP to get memory at base speeds. Overclocking memory past that usually can't happen unless you have a premium X370 board.

It depends what you're using them for and how many you want

So I have an lg 21:9 monitor that I like but im looking to step up from 60hz to 120 or 144. Any good suggestions on 2560x1080 monitors for gaming?

I kind of want to go 1440p but not sure my system can handle it. I have. A gtx 1080 but am still running an i5 3570k @ 4.4 ghz so I dont know that I can get high enough frames on 1440p to make use of the higher refresh rate. But I do plan on moving to an 8700k this year around the spring.

Is gsync worth it? Seems so expensive.

Recommendations for a thermal paste?
This is my first build, not everything is here yet and I jusr found out about this.
Also how much should be applied?

Not that guy but what about the Strix?

friend considering building a new pc, double checking what you guys think

>for light gaming, After effects & FL Studio
>Netherlands
>Budget 1000-1300€

I suggested something along the lines of 8600k, 1050ti & 16gb 3000mhz with a 500 gig 850 evo

Something like this is what I recommended
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/nYXNXH